ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watching this travesty? Makes me shake my head...

With the way Trump ran his campaign and conducts himself in public, other nations see our citizens as that much more unintelligent. It's not that hard to understand

Talk moron

The interviews of protesters makes me think that America is a dumb country based on the interviews

Ugh. These threads are always the same people pissing into the wind. It's like they're just sitting there waiting to pounce.

LOL at @johnhugh being a chauvinist chastizing @amynhop because he doesn't think she is angry enough about Trump being a misogynist. eye-ruh-knee

Well done OP. Sucks that a solid post went to pot so fast.
Just seems odd a woman would support someone that objectifies women. I'm sorry that adds up so clearly

come on @Smiling_Tiger

im calling you out.

basically called me a liar and have nothing to back it up.

are you a politician or lobbyist in the swamp?

You put two non-related things together and then said one caused the other. It was all nonsense. You blamed insurance premium increases under the ACA on the fact that illegal immigrants are covered by it when they are not. That was just in the first comparison.

That's like saying we lost to Louisville last night because it was cold in Australia. It wasn't cold in Australia and the two had nothing to do with each other. The reasons we lost last night are many but that wasn't one.

You put two non-related things together and then said one caused the other. It was all nonsense. You blamed insurance premium increases under the ACA on the fact that illegal immigrants are covered by it when they are not. That was just in the first comparison.

That's like saying we lost to Louisville last night because it was cold in Australia. It wasn't cold in Australia and the two had nothing to do with each other. The reasons we lost last night are many but that wasn't one.

still not answering my question of your theories on why?

do explain my friend? why are premiums thru the roof? who are those 20 million americans and or illegal immigrants?

ive seen stories and i know for a fact at least a couple of families are illegal.

dont just attack, come back with actual answers.

louisville lost and weather in australia doesnt cut it. lol

you tube

golden state live inauguration

these protestors are hilarious.

throwing bricks and shyt at the police.

police respond with teargas.

be cheaper to throw scented laundry detergent.

still not answering my question of your theories on why?

do explain my friend? why are premiums thru the roof? who are those 20 million americans and or illegal immigrants?

ive seen stories and i know for a fact at least a couple of families are illegal.

dont just attack, come back with actual answers.

louisville lost and weather in australia doesnt cut it. lol

Illegal immigrants are not covered under the ACA. If you are illegal you can not legally get health insurance in the United States. Period. Premiums are through the roof for a lot of reasons. First and foremost is profit margin. The Insurance companies claim they "had to" raise premiums but are, at the same time, enjoying some of the most profitable years in decades. There are more people being covered that were previously ineligible due to the things like max coverage caps and pre-existing conditions. Some businesses, when faced with the ACA chose to take actions to limit their exposure and passed that cost on to the insured. You want me to keep going?

Reactions: JackPackTerrier
KPtsuIE.png

I've been a straight ticket Republican my whole life up until this last election (I voted for Johnson). Obama did overall a very good job as President. That's pretty undisputed.

Just seems odd a woman would support someone that objectifies women. I'm sorry that adds up so clearly
Sigh. You still don't get it. Was there really not a single thing that Obama said/did/believed in that you disagreed with? When you're out of school and finally learn that education is not the same as experience you'll learn that most of the time you have to take the bad with the good.

What is good for @amynhop might not be the same thing that is good for you. Somebody as well traveled as you claim to be should already understand that. Quit getting your jimmies so rustled over it.

Reactions: amynhop
Illegal immigrants are not covered under the ACA. If you are illegal you can not legally get health insurance in the United States. Period. Premiums are through the roof for a lot of reasons. First and foremost is profit margin. The Insurance companies claim they "had to" raise premiums but are, at the same time, enjoying some of the most profitable years in decades. There are more people being covered that were previously ineligible due to the things like max coverage caps and pre-existing conditions. Some businesses, when faced with the ACA chose to take actions to limit their exposure and passed that cost on to the insured. You want me to keep going?

The reason the uninsured (illegal or otherwise) run up health care costs is because hospitals still treat them. They then cannot pay and, to make up the lost revenue, everyone else gets charged more. Health care is a true "seller's market" so the providers can do pretty much whatever they want.

That's not all of it but that is part of it.

The issue is that this will not go away until hospitals decide that if you are uninsured and cannot pay in advance you get no care. But that is a very cold, heartless reality and I don't know that anyone is ready for that.

The reason the uninsured (illegal or otherwise) run up health care costs is because hospitals still treat them. They then cannot pay and, to make up the lost revenue, everyone else gets charged more. Health care is a true "seller's market" so the providers can do pretty much whatever they want.

That's not all of it but that is part of it.

The issue is that this will not go away until hospitals decide that if you are uninsured and cannot pay in advance you get no care. But that is a very cold, heartless reality and I don't know that anyone is ready for that.

That has nothing to do with the ACA and is not new. Hospitals have never (never is a long word, so lets say for decades) been allowed, by law, to refuse treatment to anyone. Before the ACA was passed, after it was passed and after its repealed (if it is) anyone that shows up at a hospital requiring treatment is treated regardless of ability to pay. His incorrect statement was that they were now covered by the ACA. That is not the case.

Have you ever embellished your conquests with women? I'll bet you have. Most guys do. Just locker room talk. I see worse on this board. Hillary's lying, crooked arse bothered me much more than Trump's love of women. Apparently me and millions of other women weren't bothered by it. MAGA.

Reactions: fatpiggy
That has nothing to do with the ACA and is not new. Hospitals have never (never is a long word, so lets say for decades) been allowed, by law, to refuse treatment to anyone. Before the ACA was passed, after it was passed and after its repealed (if it is) anyone that shows up at a hospital requiring treatment is treated regardless of ability to pay. His incorrect statement was that they were now covered by the ACA. That is not the case.

Not gonna argue the illegals being covered part.

What the ACA did do is lead to the elimination of a lot of "catastrophic coverage" insurance policies that low-income people often have. These aren't much use for a case of the sniffles but pay if you have a major problem. Blue Cross and Fortis offered them. This forces those customers to now either have no coverage, or buy coverage that is above what they can afford.

The "employer mandate" is a whole other kettle of fish.

Not gonna argue the illegals being covered part.

What the ACA did do is lead to the elimination of a lot of "catastrophic coverage" insurance policies that low-income people often have. These aren't much use for a case of the sniffles but pay if you have a major problem. Blue Cross and Fortis offered them. This forces those customers to now either have no coverage, or buy coverage that is above what they can afford.

The "employer mandate" is a whole other kettle of fish.

Those are definitely factors as well. There are a thousand of them. Illegal immigrants now being covered by the ACA which was the original premise is blatantly false.

Because Of Obamacare, Illegal Immigrants Get Taxpayer-Financed Care
Mar 25, 2016 @ 11:17 AM
The Wall Street Journal has an in-depth report that in today's print version is titled "Despite Federal Health Law, Illegal Immigrants Get Care." The online version makes the same point "Illegal Immigrants Get Public Health Care, Despite Federal Policy." I'm obviously not responsible for crafting headlines at that paper, but it seems to me it would have been more accurate to say "Because Of Federal Health Law, Illegal Immigrants Get Care."

Let me be clear: Obamacare contains an explicit prohibition against providing federally-subsidized coverage to immigrants who cannot prove they are here legally. I am not arguing, nor did Louise Radnofsky demonstrate in her story, that anyone is explicitly violating this prohibition [1]. But no honest person can deny that because of Obamacare, more taxpayer resources at the state and local level are being spent on health care of illegal immigrants than would have been spent otherwise [2].

This is a matter of simple arithmetic. Forty-nine states have balanced budget requirements. Thus, at the margin, every $1 dollar reduction in taxpayer-financed uncompensated care costs for the uninsured frees up a dollar that can be spent on health care for illegal immigrants. In that sense, the legal prohibition against using Obamacare funds to explicitly bankroll health care for illegal immigrants is largely irrelevant. The federal Obamacare subsidies undeniably permit states and localities to make expenditures on health care for illegal immigrants that they otherwise would be unable to afford

In 2013, state and local governments provided $19.8 billion in funds to help offset the costs of uncompensated care borne by hospitals and other providers. Such payments constituted 26% of all uncompensated care costs that year. The average individual who is uninsured incurs about $1257 in uncompensated care costs [Table 1]. States and localities there save about $325 for each uninsured person who gains coverage as a result of the ACA.

This is not the place to quibble about he accuracy of President Obama's claimthat the ACA has reduced the number of uninsured by 20 million. Taken at face value, that would imply that state and local governments now have $6.5 billion (corrected: see note [3]) in additional resources to spend on illegal immigrants, whether it be for health care, education or anything else. We may never know the exact amount of such savings repurposed to provide health care to illegal immigrants. But it strains credulity to claim that the number is zero. So it should be beyond all doubt that the ACA has increased the amount of resources dedicated to health care of illegal immigrants--the explicit legal prohibition against this notwithstanding.

I leave it to readers to decide whether this is a good thing or bad thing. But we should have no doubt that this is one of the unavoidable outcomes of Obamacare and a perfectly reasonable factor to consider in deciding whether one concludes that the law should be supported or opposed. It is just one of many reasons why I believe a nation of 320 million people is much better off letting such resource allocation decisions be made at the state and local level rather than by federal taxpayers. That way people can vote with their feet if they don't like the idea of their tax dollars being used to pay for people who have come to this nation illegally.

When one party exploits a very temporary supermajority to enact sweeping legislation on a strict party-line vote that culiminates in outcomes strongly opposed by a majority of Americans, it should be little wonder our politics have become so contentious in recent years. The disturbing rise of Donald Trump cannot be laid at the feet of Obamacare alone, but the egregious manner in which Obamacare was enacted and has been too-often-lawlessly implemented certainly is an important illustration of why so many Americans feel that their elected representatives are simply not listening to them. It's sad to think so many millions of Americans have consequently concluded we need to elect a high-school bully to fight back.

READ CHRIS’ BOOK, The American Health Economy Illustrated (AEI Press, 2012), available at Amazon and other major retailers. With generous support from the National Research Initiative at the American Enterprise Institute, an online version complete with downloadable Powerpoint slides and companion spreadsheets has been made available through the Medical Industry Institute’s Open Education Hub at the University of Minnesota.

Follow @ConoverChris on Twitter, and The Apothecary on Facebook. Or, sign up to receive a weekly e-mail digest of articles from The Apothecary.

INVESTORS’ NOTE : The biggest publicly-traded players in Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges are Aetna AET -0.18% (NYSE: AET ), Humana HUM -1.22% (NYSE: HUM), Cigna CI +0.44% (NYSE: CI ), Molina (NYSE: MOH ), WellPoint (NYSE: WLP ), and Centene CNC +1.41%(NYSE: CNC ), in order of the number of uninsured exchange-eligible Americans for whom their plans are available.

Footnotes
[1] To be sure, fellow Forbes blogger Grace-Marie Turner has pointed out that the way in which Obamacare is being implemented does in fact allow Obamacare subsidies to go to illegal immigrants, but that is a completely different issue and not germane to the argument I am making here. That is, rectifying the misguided regulation that permits such subsidies to be inappropriately channeled to illegal immigrants does not obviate the fact that reducing the burden of state and local government-financed uncompensated care permits such governments to use those resources to assist illegal immigrants in any fashion desired, including payment of their health care expenses.

[2] In a similar fashion, I have previously argued that federal taxpayers currently subsidize abortions, the explicit prohibition against such expenditures notwithstanding.

[3] The original piece said $650 million but a reader kindly pointed out that $325 x 20m. = $6.5 billion. My apologies for this error.

Because Of Obamacare, Illegal Immigrants Get Taxpayer-Financed Care
Mar 25, 2016 @ 11:17 AM
The Wall Street Journal has an in-depth report that in today's print version is titled "Despite Federal Health Law, Illegal Immigrants Get Care." The online version makes the same point "Illegal Immigrants Get Public Health Care, Despite Federal Policy." I'm obviously not responsible for crafting headlines at that paper, but it seems to me it would have been more accurate to say "Because Of Federal Health Law, Illegal Immigrants Get Care."

Let me be clear: Obamacare contains an explicit prohibition against providing federally-subsidized coverage to immigrants who cannot prove they are here legally. I am not arguing, nor did Louise Radnofsky demonstrate in her story, that anyone is explicitly violating this prohibition [1]. But no honest person can deny that because of Obamacare, more taxpayer resources at the state and local level are being spent on health care of illegal immigrants than would have been spent otherwise [2].

This is a matter of simple arithmetic. Forty-nine states have balanced budget requirements. Thus, at the margin, every $1 dollar reduction in taxpayer-financed uncompensated care costs for the uninsured frees up a dollar that can be spent on health care for illegal immigrants. In that sense, the legal prohibition against using Obamacare funds to explicitly bankroll health care for illegal immigrants is largely irrelevant. The federal Obamacare subsidies undeniably permit states and localities to make expenditures on health care for illegal immigrants that they otherwise would be unable to afford

In 2013, state and local governments provided $19.8 billion in funds to help offset the costs of uncompensated care borne by hospitals and other providers. Such payments constituted 26% of all uncompensated care costs that year. The average individual who is uninsured incurs about $1257 in uncompensated care costs [Table 1]. States and localities there save about $325 for each uninsured person who gains coverage as a result of the ACA.

This is not the place to quibble about he accuracy of President Obama's claimthat the ACA has reduced the number of uninsured by 20 million. Taken at face value, that would imply that state and local governments now have $6.5 billion (corrected: see note [3]) in additional resources to spend on illegal immigrants, whether it be for health care, education or anything else. We may never know the exact amount of such savings repurposed to provide health care to illegal immigrants. But it strains credulity to claim that the number is zero. So it should be beyond all doubt that the ACA has increased the amount of resources dedicated to health care of illegal immigrants--the explicit legal prohibition against this notwithstanding.

I leave it to readers to decide whether this is a good thing or bad thing. But we should have no doubt that this is one of the unavoidable outcomes of Obamacare and a perfectly reasonable factor to consider in deciding whether one concludes that the law should be supported or opposed. It is just one of many reasons why I believe a nation of 320 million people is much better off letting such resource allocation decisions be made at the state and local level rather than by federal taxpayers. That way people can vote with their feet if they don't like the idea of their tax dollars being used to pay for people who have come to this nation illegally.

When one party exploits a very temporary supermajority to enact sweeping legislation on a strict party-line vote that culiminates in outcomes strongly opposed by a majority of Americans, it should be little wonder our politics have become so contentious in recent years. The disturbing rise of Donald Trump cannot be laid at the feet of Obamacare alone, but the egregious manner in which Obamacare was enacted and has been too-often-lawlessly implemented certainly is an important illustration of why so many Americans feel that their elected representatives are simply not listening to them. It's sad to think so many millions of Americans have consequently concluded we need to elect a high-school bully to fight back.

READ CHRIS’ BOOK, The American Health Economy Illustrated (AEI Press, 2012), available at Amazon and other major retailers. With generous support from the National Research Initiative at the American Enterprise Institute, an online version complete with downloadable Powerpoint slides and companion spreadsheets has been made available through the Medical Industry Institute’s Open Education Hub at the University of Minnesota.

Follow @ConoverChris on Twitter, and The Apothecary on Facebook. Or, sign up to receive a weekly e-mail digest of articles from The Apothecary.

INVESTORS’ NOTE : The biggest publicly-traded players in Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges are Aetna AET -0.18% (NYSE: AET ), Humana HUM -1.22% (NYSE: HUM), Cigna CI +0.44% (NYSE: CI ), Molina (NYSE: MOH ), WellPoint (NYSE: WLP ), and Centene CNC +1.41%(NYSE: CNC ), in order of the number of uninsured exchange-eligible Americans for whom their plans are available.

Footnotes
[1] To be sure, fellow Forbes blogger Grace-Marie Turner has pointed out that the way in which Obamacare is being implemented does in fact allow Obamacare subsidies to go to illegal immigrants, but that is a completely different issue and not germane to the argument I am making here. That is, rectifying the misguided regulation that permits such subsidies to be inappropriately channeled to illegal immigrants does not obviate the fact that reducing the burden of state and local government-financed uncompensated care permits such governments to use those resources to assist illegal immigrants in any fashion desired, including payment of their health care expenses.

[2] In a similar fashion, I have previously argued that federal taxpayers currently subsidize abortions, the explicit prohibition against such expenditures notwithstanding.

[3] The original piece said $650 million but a reader kindly pointed out that $325 x 20m. = $6.5 billion. My apologies for this error.

Yeah, that's an opinion piece refuting a blog in the Wall St Journal (one of the most conservative newspapers around) that clearly states Illegals do NOT get coverage under the ACA. Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll get as tired of this false persona as you did of the one chasing hippies around looking for Darcy.

shyt i agree with you. i said and/or illegals. i assume you think i meant that all 20 million were the 20 million illegals. not my drift.

yes many are americans too that work for less than $10 an hour or work part time jobs less than 36 hours.

and many with pre existing conditions.

but before obamacare , many doctors are christians. they are required by their beliefs to help the poor for free if they follow the teaching of jesus christ.

we didnt need obamacare.

and the profits are monstrous for the salaried in healthcare. criminal yes in my mind, but not very christian like.

Yeah, that's an opinion piece refuting a blog in the Wall St Journal (one of the most conservative newspapers around) that clearly states Illegals do NOT get coverage under the ACA. Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll get as tired of this false persona as you did of the one chasing hippies around looking for Darcy.

alright, you brought my son into this.

you are a piece of shyt.

There sure are a lot of butt-hurt snowflake princesses on this board. Grow up. Make the best of it. Vote again in 4 years.

That is sort of true but not totally. Hospitals are required to stabilize a patient. They don't have to provide definitive care.

Don't worry, appointing businesspeople for government who have no governing experience is going to be an unworldly success. One could say it's going to be bigly. Don't you know that multi-billionaires are much more ethically pure than government officials? Look for the next four years to go the way of the bush 8, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Just like the last 8? Hope not.

I do agree that the winners have been insurers and providers but there are a couple of items that

First as far as illegal aliens you are for the most part correct but states like California have decided not to enforce that aspect. The Wall Street Journal has an in-depth report that in today's print version is titled "Despite Federal Health Law, Illegal Immigrants Get Care." The online version makes the same point "Illegal Immigrants Get Public Health Care, Despite Federal Policy."

The ACA was really an expansion of Medicaid. Look at the data.

As far as cost, it the ACA, has selected for the sickest population to join and made it worse by letting you not sign up after you are sick. Why pay now when you can get in later? Bad design.

Easy fix is to repeal the mandatory aspect and then add alternatives. If people want their Obamacare, they can keep their Obamacare.

Just a few thoughts...

How about limiting malpractice judgements?
Why not allow plans to not cover some services?
Why not use experience ratings?
Maybe people who are sick should pay slightly more or put another way shouldn't we reward taking care of yourself?

To me more choice is better....

Reactions: TuesdayJ
Have you ever embellished your conquests with women? I'll bet you have. Most guys do. Just locker room talk. I see worse on this board. Hillary's lying, crooked arse bothered me much more than Trump's love of women. Apparently me and millions of other women weren't bothered by it. MAGA.
Well your sentence about Hillary informed me that we can't have a legitimate discussion. Thanks

No, your regurgitation of Fox News and Donald Trump's character attacks informs me that you possess no individual thought. You being a woman, I am not surprised

You're a big turd. How's that for individual thought? Guess I'm just being a woman calling it like I see it.

Reactions: johnhugh
Other countries have owned us the last 8 years ever since the Obama apology tour.

If they dont like us it is either because they have no idea what to expect from trump or he will actually not roll over.

I have no idea if he will be a good president, great president or crappy president. And guess what neither does anyone else.

I do like the military presence he has added to his cabinet and the potential growth of company presence back into the US.

Time will tell. The key difference is that the majority of Americans voted for Obama and the majority of Americans voted against Trump. We'll see if that makes a difference.
Ok Charlie Brown, if Trump had cared about the popular vote, he would have campaigned differently. Regardless, elections have consequences and your guy lost. Mainly, in my opinion, because the Dems crapped all over the middle class and pandered to special interests.

As opposed to your comment about Trump making fun of a handicap person? Give us a break. You no more look for facts outside your CNN viewing then Amy does on Fox News.

..and if you think Hillary's 1.5 Billion spent on her campaign was all from legal activities you sir are a moron. Ask yourself this, after the Clinton Global Initiative took close to a billion dollars why have the funds dried up after Hillary lost the election? Why is the CGI shutting down? We can jump on party lines all day, but you can't refute many of our politicians are corrupt and payed for by big business. She was one of them and a horrible candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT