ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson and NewSpring

Originally posted by Mr. Clemson:
It's amazing how this thread has grown since I last posted a few days ago. It's also amazing how many people on this website have no clue what they are talking about, yet they try their best to convince the gullible otherwise. What disappoints me, though, is to see so called "Christians" put down another church that is reaching thousands for Jesus. I, and any real Christian, would never say those things about another church, even if that church isn't the one that's for me and the one that I attend. I thank God for churches everywhere that preach from the Bible and bring people to Christ. That's okay though. We will keep preaching the gospel and doing everything short of sin to bring people to Christ. 75 salvations at our Easter service last night, and I praise God for that. Carry on and Happy Easter! I'm done with this thread.

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." ~ Romans 5:6-8 NIV
hey man, NewSpring did a lot for me, my wife, etc from 01-05, I tithed fairly regularly.....I am not criticizing the church or the fact that people are accepting Christ there......I do think that you KNOW in a public position people will take shots at you when you do not show transparency......they cannot act indignant when it happens......instead pray for the people that come after you and turn the other cheek

Originally posted by SWUtigers:

It's amazing how this thread has grown since I last posted a few days ago. It's also amazing how many people on this website have no clue what they are talking about, yet they try their best to convince the gullible otherwise. What disappoints me, though, is to see so called "Christians" put down another church that is reaching thousands for Jesus. I, and any real Christian, would never say those things about another church, even if that church isn't the one that's for me and the one that I attend. I thank God for churches everywhere that preach from the Bible and bring people to Christ. That's okay though. We will keep preaching the gospel and doing everything short of sin to bring people to Christ. 75 salvations at our Easter service last night, and I praise God for that. Carry on and Happy Easter! I'm done with this thread.

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." ~ Romans 5:6-8 NIV
Look Mr. Clemson, I started this thread and my whole point was not to mock the church (although I admit to find some humor in some of the militant stances made here) but to figure our the fascination with this church. I've also revealed the financials of the church I attend in Columbia, which is a very detailed financial statement that is easily attainable online in just a few short clicks.

I've YET to see anything other than blind trust coming from the "owners" here about how their funds are utilized. I also, find the fact that you guys get angry when someone questions that to be revealing as well.
Okay, last post. Why don't you shoot me an email or contact info and I'll reach out to you off this internet message board. I would be glad to introduce you to anyone at NewSpring, give you a personal tour, attend a service with you and have senior staff answer any questions you have.

FWIW, I really wish you would not have handled your questions or concerns about our church like you did. Just my opinion, but there was no need post this stuff on TigerIllustrated and allow others, who either have an agenda or absolutely no clue about our church, to stir the pot on here. Let me see. You have questions about NewSpring's finances, so you decide the best way to get answers is to go on TigerIllustrated and ask this crew about it. Seriously? That's similar to people who come on here and ask for legal, medical or investment advice. Unreal. And let me be clear about one more thing: I'm not mad one bit about you asking questions, and I think we all should ask questions, but I absolutely do not agree with the way you have approached this.

Originally posted by Trading Tiger:

OK, now I get, just a misunderstanding. Some people might consider it their tithe or part of their tithe, but I have a feeling those are the same type of people who would go to one church but tithe at another or donate to some other charity and consider that their tithe...as you pointed out, it isn't.

You can designate your gifts, what I said was correct, and you are correct in saying that that designated money should not be considered part of your tithe. There also very well may be documents showing that the money was spent according to the designation, I've just never worried about asking. It goes back to what I said in another post, if God tells me to give money, I give money. If the Church doesn't use that money for the purpose that it was given, they'll have to account for it, but not to me, so why worry about it?
Trading, I do appreciate your enthusiasm and your commitment to the Clemson program because you literally provide a level of enthusiasm that I do seek out your posts and responses.

That said, your blind allegiance to NS is quite disturbing but I'm in no position to judge others. Even though you are tithing your hard-earned money, wouldn't you at least want to know that the money you are giving is being put to good use? You seem like a very smart, articulate person, how can you just blindly give to someone or an organization? If you aren't that concerned, though, why don't you just take your money and give to the homeless local shelter, soup kitchen, boys club...

What is it specifically that makes you want to give your money to NS?
I was going to give this long, grand post all about blah blah blah, something told me this morning on my way to work to just keep it short and sweet (and it will still be a little long)...

Why I tithe to Newspring: despite everything listed ITT, I know Newspring does a ton of awesome things. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Have they done horrible things? If even one thing that was described in that blog is true, then yes they have. But nobody is perfect and I'm not going to condemn a whole church due to the actions of a few. Truth be told, if that's the worst stuff that Newspring has done, they have a gold star IMO, because compared to the stuff that the Catholic church and other churches have done, that's really just a minor blip on the radar. But the main reason I tithe to Newspring is because that's the church I go to, that's my "local" church, and that's what the Bible says to do. The Bible doesn't say, "just give away 10% of your income to whoever you deem appropriate". The analogy that Newspring uses to describe what you're suggesting is: "if you go eat at Cracker Barrel, you don't go pay your bill at Outback." They aren't saying that you have to pay to receive Newspring's services, but they are saying that if you are a member of Newspring, that's where you are going to be "spiritually fed", so that's where you should give or bring your tithe. And that comes straight out of the Bible, Malichi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. [Storehouse/my house = The Church] "Test me in this" says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."

The real and more important question is, why do I tithe at all: for a long time, I was the typical anti-tither. I would say stuff like "tithing is an Old Testament practice; I don't make enough money to tithe; why should I give money to God/the Church, what has God/the Church given to me; Newspring just wants my money so I'll give 10%, but I'll donate it to some other charity, etc". Basically, I was wrong, extremely selfish, and dumb. I went to Newspring for a good while before I started tithing. People have mentioned all of the sermons on money, and just like those people, it made me uncomfortable and I thought "Newspring only wants my money". I couldn't have been more wrong, when Perry says "I don't want anything from you, I want everything for you", he's speaking the truth. So here's the story of how/why I started tithing

I saw a couple in my homegroup go from near bankruptcy to being completely debt free, owning a lot, and will be beginning construction on a new home in a nice subdivision within the next year all because they faithfully tithed. You explain to me how that makes sense...they used 100% of their income to rack up so much debt they almost had to declare bankruptcy, but they were able to take 90% of their income and get out of debt in a relatively small period of time. Oh, and let me also add that they had their first child during this time and in doing so, the wife quit her job to stay home with the baby, so when I said "90% of their income", it was really more like "100% - 30-45% lost income from wife - 10% tithe = 55%" (I used 35% for the wife's lost income obviously). These were not irresponsible people just blowing tons of money everywhere on vacations, going out to eat, expensive clothes, etc, etc. These were good people who just had no control over their finances, it wasn't until they gave God control of their finances that things turned around for them.

I was extremely fortunate!!! I was able to recognize the fact that my wife and I were on the same road as this other couple, we were just a few short years behind them. When I saw what they were able to do with God's help, I decided to take action and get off that road as quickly as possible. Once I started tithing, it was amazing how much further my 90% was taking me compared to where I was getting with all 100%. I truly have been blessed and in turn, I have been able to bless others. Giving my 10% tithe is now just the start for my wife and I, I've already been accused of bragging once ITT, so I won't go into any further details about what I do with my money, but just do what Newspring says for 3 months and see what happens. It doesn't have to go to Newspring either, just tithe to your church, if you don't go to church, just pick one. Newspring has a 90 day tithe challenge, if you tithe and don't see or feel God's blessing upon you, they'll give you your money back.

Would PN be one of the ones you would introduce us to? From my understanding majority of the "owners" haven't spoke to him. That would be cool maybe he can hook me up with Clemson or get me a tour of west endzone.

Originally posted by OrangeForever:
the "big churches" are taking a lot of heat here.........the prosperity gospel goes against basically every teaching in the new testament....

listen to what Matt Chandler (who operates near Joel Osteen-ville).

I am a christ follower but do not care for Perry's teachings on finances and definitely do not care for Joel Osteen and those who seem to euate happiness, comfort and financial stability to God's blessings.
OrangeForever, you can, of course, believe what you want, but I am on the other side.

You realize that Christ turned a few pieces of bread and fish into enough to feed thousands, everyone was stuffed, and there was plenty left over (twice), right?

And that Christ had his disciples (fishermen) nets filled to overflow with fish? Now, we think of fish as fish, but this was their BUSINESS, which means fish are DOLLARS, right????
In other words, he took (say) a fisherman's normal $ 100 / day income and essentially gave those guys a check for THOUSANDS of dollars (in the terms of fish).

Do you realize that? FISH = DOLLARS if you are a fisherman. Those guys didn't eat the fish: they SOLD them.

God (Jehovah Jireah) means the God that supplies. All your needs. Home. Food. Money.
It's all the same.

Have a girlfriend. She prayed for 3 years for God to supply a house, which she could not afford. Literally days before the house is sold for foreclosure, God supplied a house, with EXACTLY everything she wanted (2 car garage, mud room, 4BR, fenced in back yard, etc, etc) on a golf course. And she didn't pay for it.
God supplies your needs.

Ok serious question bc I don't know. How do you give "God control of your finances"? I get giving 10% but how does he control the 90%? He doesn't pay bills for you. I know living a godly life will help with the way you spend money but how exactly do I turn it over to him and become debt free?

Look Mr. Clemson, I started this thread and my whole point was not to mock the church (although I admit to find some humor in some of the militant stances made here) but to figure our the fascination with this church. I've also revealed the financials of the church I attend in Columbia, which is a very detailed financial statement that is easily attainable online in just a few short clicks.

I've YET to see anything other than blind trust coming from the "owners" here about how their funds are utilized. I also, find the fact that you guys get angry when someone questions that to be revealing as well.
Okay, last post. Why don't you shoot me an email or contact info and I'll reach out to you off this internet message board. I would be glad to introduce you to anyone at NewSpring, give you a personal tour, attend a service with you and have senior staff answer any questions you have.

FWIW, I really wish you would not have handled your questions or concerns about our church like you did. Just my opinion, but there was no need post this stuff on TigerIllustrated and allow others, who either have an agenda or absolutely no clue about our church, to stir the pot on here. Let me see. You have questions about NewSpring's finances, so you decide the best way to get answers is to go on TigerIllustrated and ask this crew about it. Seriously? That's similar to people who come on here and ask for legal, medical or investment advice. Unreal. And let me be clear about one more thing: I'm not mad one bit about you asking questions, and I think we all should ask questions, but I absolutely do not agree with the way you have approached this.
Mr. Clemson, I'm sorry you feel this way. Trust me, I never intended for this thread to be 7 friggin pages long! I only brought this up because someone posted in another thread about a blog about a professor of Anderson College (still can't call it a university either) and NewSpring also considering the University is under scrutiny about their religious practices, I thought it was relevant. This is no doubt a football message board but there are also plenty of topics discussed outside of football and sports as well. Frankly, I enjoy in engaging with the various OT threads, too, although some OT threads don't always interest me and I choose to skip over them.

That said, I mentioned many times that I was genuinely curious how this church operates and am certainly intrigued that they have a gross income of $50 million dollars ANNUALLY. For a church that's astonishing and the fact that you can't find ANYWHERE and in detail on their website how their revenue is dispersed is concerning to say the least.

But I do understand that people get emotional about their church. I certainly do. In fact, my wife and I are moving back towards the upstate and one of the places that I'll miss greatly is my church. But I feel I, along with the members of our church, to hold the keepers of the church accountable for the money coming in as I'm sure you would do the same with NS. I do hope that they are being held accountable. One way to alleviate the extra scrutiny, however, would be to be more transparent and I don't think they are, IMHO.

I understand the concept of tithing and it is biblical. But also in the bible we are admonished to be wise stewards of our money. Do you think the thousands of people that gave Jim and Tammy Faye Baker 10% of their income were wise stewards? That is why it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that there is complete transparency as regards finances within the church. Not some percentage chart but a honest dollar by dollar accounting of what comes in and precisely where it goes.

Originally posted by FreeSC:
the "big churches" are taking a lot of heat here.........the prosperity gospel goes against basically every teaching in the new testament....

I am a christ follower but do not care for Perry's teachings on finances and definitely do not care for Joel Osteen and those who seem to euate happiness, comfort and financial stability to God's blessings.
OrangeForever, you can, of course, believe what you want, but I am on the other side.

You realize that Christ turned a few pieces of bread and fish into enough to feed thousands, everyone was stuffed, and there was plenty left over (twice), right?

And that Christ had his disciples (fishermen) nets filled to overflow with fish? Now, we think of fish as fish, but this was their BUSINESS, which means fish are DOLLARS, right????
In other words, he took (say) a fisherman's normal $ 100 / day income and essentially gave those guys a check for THOUSANDS of dollars (in the terms of fish).

Do you realize that? FISH = DOLLARS if you are a fisherman. Those guys didn't eat the fish: they SOLD them.

God (Jehovah Jireah) means the God that supplies. All your needs. Home. Food. Money.
It's all the same.

Have a girlfriend. She prayed for 3 years for God to supply a house, which she could not afford. Literally days before the house is sold for foreclosure, God supplied a house, with EXACTLY everything she wanted (2 car garage, mud room, 4BR, fenced in back yard, etc, etc) on a golf course. And she didn't pay for it.
God supplies your needs.
Look man, not saying you are wrong here, but I am saying the POINT and the MESSAGE of the gospels is that JESUS, not what he can do for you is enough.

He CAN bless you financially, but it doesn't always happen and it doesn't mean HE is not madly in love with you.

Every disciple of jesus died BADLY....i mean bad. Hung, crucified, beaten........Paul had an affliction his whole life.....

JESUS is enough

Originally posted by tiger-gal2:

I understand the concept of tithing and it is biblical. But also in the bible we are admonished to be wise stewards of our money. Do you think the thousands of people that gave Jim and Tammy Faye Baker 10% of their income were wise stewards? That is why it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that there is complete transparency as regards finances within the church. Not some percentage chart but a honest dollar by dollar accounting of what comes in and precisely where it goes.
this is an excellent post

It's all the same.

God supplies your needs.
Look man, not saying you are wrong here, but I am saying the POINT and the MESSAGE of the gospels is that JESUS, not what he can do for you is enough.

He CAN bless you financially, but it doesn't always happen and it doesn't mean HE is not madly in love with you.

Every disciple of jesus died BADLY....i mean bad. Hung, crucified, beaten........Paul had an affliction his whole life.....

JESUS is enough
Amen. There have been many wonderful Christians throughout time that have been persecuted, ridiculed, killed or spent their entire lives in abject poverty. The God I serve is not a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of deity.

Originally posted by Taylors_Tiger:
Ok serious question bc I don't know. How do you give "God control of your finances"? I get giving 10% but how does he control the 90%? He doesn't pay bills for you. I know living a godly life will help with the way you spend money but how exactly do I turn it over to him and become debt free?
I can't speak for the other couple because I truly don't know how they did it with their circumstances (wife quitting job, new baby, etc).

You pretty much nailed it already, live a Godly life. My wife and I weren't in an extreme amount of debt so it wasn't nearly as dramatic or as big of a deal, but like I said, that is only because that other couple had a few years head start on us. When I "gave God control" I found that my priorities shifted. I mentioned buying a Corvette in another post, I went from being so proud and happy to have that car to ashamed that I had actually spent that much money on it. Don't get me wrong, it still makes me smile, but if I could do it over again, I wouldn't buy it. The best way I can say it is it's a priority shift.

Now that I think about it, I can speak for the other couple...I remember them telling us about how an unexpected bill had come up and they were going to have to put it on the credit card that they had just paid off and weren't real happy about it but that's what they were going to have to do. Low and behold, they ended up getting a check in the mail for almost the exact amount of the bill because one of their creditors caught an error and realized they had been overcharged. Call that a coincidence all you want, but that's just one example and when stuff, not necessarily money related, like that happens to you or people you know on a regular basis, coincidence quickly gets ruled out.

Those are just a couple quick examples. Also, don't get me wrong and think that I'm saying that all this stuff is easy, I'm not. It was a struggle for me to get my mind right and focused on the things I should be focused on, I still struggle and have to stay vigilant, but it's gotten easier. I know that the other couple really struggled for a while, they had to cut out almost everything but the bare necessities. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Innocent children are starving all over the world and dying of terrible diseases, tragedy and terrorism

But someone starts tithing and a creditor realizes a previous mistake...now that's a miracle my friends

I know I probably should just stay away from this thread but I am very thankful that this thread was made and followed the pattern that it did. It reinforced that some decisions I made about 15 years ago were correct individual choices

It's all the same.

God supplies your needs.
Again, you're misinterpreting a very essential story. You do realize that he also asked those guys to quit their jobs and he would teach them to "fish for people" right? The very next verse in Luke says

"So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him."

They had nothing, sold their businesses, left their homes, to follow him. Later he calls Levi, with verse 28 saying,

"and Levi got up, left everything and followed him."

Don't take this the wrong way but, why would the disciples, Paul, and other early leaders in the church live the way they did if God provided so much $$ to those that were obedient? Yes, God provides, but provides what you truly need...he has no concern for your earthly comfort. Jesus taught to be dead to all the desires of the flesh ($$, material things, comforts in general) and align with heavenly desires. Later in Luke Jesus tells his disciples,

"But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort, woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry"

Why would God want you to have plenty of $$ if His son taught against it explicitly. It's too easy for us to put our comfort in earthly things. The spirit changes your perspective, changes your priorities. Paul talks about as much. Money, nice house, etc. are all of the flesh which Jesus, Paul and other early teachers explicitly taught against. Why would Paul tell people of the church to rejoice in being poor b/c they were rich in spirit if all they had to do was pray for more $$? Wouldn't he say, pray, God doesn't want you to be poor? God wants your worship, your love, He wants you to live with him in eternity. He could care less if you have a lot of $$ or even comfort on earth.

Originally posted by Esso Porch:
Innocent children are starving all over the world and dying of terrible diseases, tragedy and terrorism

But someone starts tithing and a creditor realizes a previous mistake...now that's a miracle my friends

I know I probably should just stay away from this thread but I am very thankful that this thread was made and followed the pattern that it did. It reinforced that some decisions I made about 15 years ago were correct individual choices
frabz-say-what-you-mean-money-cant-buy-my-way-into-heaven-ab3605.jpg

no-stupid-money-cant-buy-your-way-into-heaven.png

image_moneyJesus.png

Originally posted by ClemsonEsso06:
I have a problem if the financials of the church are not transparent. Forbush here in Charlotte was under some heat recently because he would not disclose how much he spent on his Lake Normon mansion.
Weddington, I believe. Behind a gate, too.

If you Christians out there believe that The Resurrection is miraculous, how about this: I find myself in complete accordance with OrangeForever.

The so-called prosperity Gospel is bunk. Are people who are richer, tanner, more beautiful truly the one's graced by God? Are they more worthy of God's love and blessing?

Do you recall the Gospel where Jesus cures the blind man and the Pharisees are asking about who was the sinner, his parents or the man himself? Jesus responds, "no one sinned." So it is with the world's poor.

I think the prosperity Gospel has it all backward. It is in the poor and lame where we find Jesus. That's why they will always be with us: so that we can see Jesus among us.

I don't belong to NewSpring and certainly don't endorse pastors who live in outsized ways, clothed in luxuries (oh, and that goes for any leaders of my own denomination, too). I think NS ought to provide its 'owners' with financial data but, hey, unless the owners demand it, it is unlikely to occur. I personally can't imagine just giving and giving to an organization in this day and age without some accounting but apparently there are several thousand people in South Carolina's upstate that are okay with it. I would just say, live and learn.

God supplies your needs.
FVCKING OUT AT MUD ROOM....

Originally posted by kgwillison:
If you Christians out there believe that The Resurrection is miraculous, how about this: I find myself in complete accordance with OrangeForever.

The so-called prosperity Gospel is bunk. Are people who are richer, tanner, more beautiful truly the one's graced by God? Are they more worthy of God's love and blessing?

Do you recall the Gospel where Jesus cures the blind man and the Pharisees are asking about who was the sinner, his parents or the man himself? Jesus responds, "no one sinned." So it is with the world's poor.

I think the prosperity Gospel has it all backward. It is in the poor and lame where we find Jesus. That's why they will always be with us: so that we can see Jesus among us.

I don't belong to NewSpring and certainly don't endorse pastors who live in outsized ways, clothed in luxuries (oh, and that goes for any leaders of my own denomination, too). I think NS ought to provide its 'owners' with financial data but, hey, unless the owners demand it, it is unlikely to occur. I personally can't imagine just giving and giving to an organization in this day and age without some accounting but apparently there are several thousand people in South Carolina's upstate that are okay with it. I would just say, live and learn.

What's up Kirk -- May God bless you and yours

God supplies your needs.

To all the starving children, abused children, neglected children and diseased children:

You just gotta pray a li'l harder. If you can't find love, maybe you'll at least get a mud room with a golf course out back

It's all the same.

God supplies your needs.
My gosh. That's the grossest distortion of the Gospel I've ever heard, it actually makes me irate. How did that whole prosperity doctrine work out for the disciples that were crucified upside down, boiled in oil, and beheaded?

Originally posted by piperdog188:

It's all the same.

God supplies your needs.
My gosh. That's the grossest distortion of the Gospel I've ever heard, it actually makes me irate. How did that whole prosperity doctrine work out for the disciples that were crucified upside down, boiled in oil, and beheaded?
Agreed Piper. Absolutely perverse, at best.

From OF and my boy Matt Chandler:

"I'm gonna try to combat something here as hard as I can. Look at me: following Jesus is not going to make you wealthy. Following Jesus does not guarantee that you're going to be healthy The message of Scripture, and the Gospel of Christ is not that in following Him everything goes right, but that He is enough, no matter what happens. That's the message of the Gospel, not that everything's gonna be okay.
Every apostle in the Bible dies bad. They don't just stumble in the street and get run over in a car. They get beheaded, they get crucified upside down. They get boiled in oil. They die poor, and they're slaughtered. Spurgeon, the prince of preachers struggles with depression his whole life, and then dies. Christianity has been built and then carried through generations on the blood of men. Not on wealth! This is an absurd idea that would make Christ not preeminent- but, what He can give you. That is not Christianity, that is something entirely different.
Jesus is enough! He is enough! We pursue healing, maybe we get it, maybe we don't. He's enough if we don't. Jesus is sufficient. Like in Acts, the apostles, they get arrested. And the court says, "If you don't quit this preaching stuff, if you don't quit talking about Jesus, we're gonna beat you to death. And the response was simple: "Do what you think is right, as for us, we cannot help in speaking about what we have seen and heard. And they beat the mess out of them, and released them. ANd they did what? Rejoiced! I mean, they got beat nearly to death. This was the fruit of the Gospel in their lives. Beatings! And they left rejoicing! This is not about what Jesus gets you. It's just about Jesus!"

Gus-Malzahn-BOOM-2.gif

My man piper!!!!!!

Important to note Matt chandler gave that sermon not knowing if he was going to live or die due to a brain tumor that had almost killed him on the previous Thanksgiving.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Here's the thing and I'll hope the thread dies after this.

I do hope NewSpring and Clemson are not intertwined and that the revelations coming from this kooky Wisconsin outfit are inaccurate. But when I see Perry Noble on our practice fields, I can't help but become extremely worried that Dabo is "all in" with NS, too.

DeAndre-Hopkins-baptism-260x186.jpg

If one good thing comes out of this group in Wisc is that Clemson cuts all ties with Perry Noble and Newspring. I posted about 2 years ago on this board that the perceived, or actual, affiliation with this group would come back to bite us. I'm a Christian but I'm NOT a fan of these churches with a premise of gathering more followers (and don't forget your $$). I lost a good friend in HS who got lost with one of these groups and he just went nuts trying to tell everyone that you were not a true believer unless you joined his church. I see the same thing with newspring. I feel sorry for Jesus.

And, I wonder if any of these ministers, preachers, whatever, would be doing what they do if it did not make them a buck.

Perry Noble should not have a place on our football program. Chaplin, yes, some mega church...NO.

Wow. Just caught up on the thread.

I'm not going to get into it, but I had an unfavorable experience at NS the only time I went and it really turned me off to Christianity for probably 4 years, BUT the erosion of the nuclear family and increase of single parent households concerns me and if NS can help stem the tide of that then I'm all for it.

That Matt Chandler stuff is on point btw.

Originally posted by TigerDutch:
If one good thing comes out of this group in Wisc is that Clemson cuts all ties with Perry Noble and Newspring. I posted about 2 years ago on this board that the perceived, or actual, affiliation with this group would come back to bite us. I'm a Christian but I'm NOT a fan of these churches with a premise of gathering more followers (and don't forget your $$). I lost a good friend in HS who got lost with one of these groups and he just went nuts trying to tell everyone that you were not a true believer unless you joined his church. I see the same thing with newspring. I feel sorry for Jesus.

And, I wonder if any of these ministers, preachers, whatever, would be doing what they do if it did not make them a buck.

Perry Noble should not have a place on our football program. Chaplin, yes, some mega church...NO.
I agree with this. Perry Noble shouldn't be anywhere around our football program. I hope Dabo realizes this and completely cuts ties. The coaches and players who want to should continue to attend the churches of their choice together on Sundays but in no way, shape, or form should PN be at practice or roaming the sidelines.

I can also guarantee you will never see another player baptized at practice again. I know that's what Nuk wanted, but I'm sure Dabo will be told that this isn't a good idea in the future.

Originally posted by Trading Tiger:

The truth is, talking about money makes people uncomfortable. Other churches don't talk about money because they don't want to make their members uncomfortable.

Newspring/Perry doesn't care about making people uncomfortable
The cross makes people uncomfortable. Some churches choose to focus on the empty tomb instead of the cross because they don't want to make their "owners" uncomfortable. Good thing Newspring/Perry don't care about making people uncomfortable.

"Other churches" don't need to talk about tithing every week because their members already do it.

Not attacking you personally Trading, just trying to add another page to the thread...

Here's the thing and I'll hope the thread dies after this.

I do hope NewSpring and Clemson are not intertwined and that the revelations coming from this kooky Wisconsin outfit are inaccurate. But when I see Perry Noble on our practice fields, I can't help but become extremely worried that Dabo is "all in" with NS, too.

ec
That was at Nuk's request. Nuk attended Newspring and gave his life to Christ there. He asked for Perry to baptize him.

Then do it at newspring, don't do it on the practice field or anywhere on campus. Invite all the players & coaches if you want. The problem is it was done on a practice field.

Then do it at newspring, don't do it on the practice field or anywhere on campus. Invite all the players & coaches if you want. The problem is it was done on a practice field.
That's the way Nuk wanted it. It was done after practice and everyone was told they could stay if they wanted but it wasn't mandatory.

Originally posted by nseverett:

That's the way Nuk wanted it. It was done after practice and everyone was told they could stay if they wanted but it wasn't mandatory.
I realize Nuk wanted it, but I bet you any amount of money that nothing like that will ever happen at practice again.

You don't get this, especially regarding a public college. It should not be done at a public school and Larry even mentioned this as a problem he found. But, I don't think it has been repeated. Just because a player wants it does not mean it's right.

You don't get this, especially regarding a public college. It should not be done at a public school and Larry even mentioned this as a problem he found. But, I don't think it has been repeated. Just because a player wants it does not mean it's right.
This

Oh, I get it. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as some of you are making it. And I agree that it won't happen again.

I just want to say this as a born again believer in Christ, in regards to churches making lost people feel comfortable in church. I never felt comfortable in a church until I met Jesus. I remember the night I got saved under an old fashioned tent revival. I was nervous and uncomfortable the whole time. I felt like I didn't fit in, not because I thought those there were better than me, but I felt they were different in a good way. I felt conviction from the time I stepped under that tent that night until they gave the altar call. The message hit me right between the eyes. Holy Spirit conviction is uncomfortable for an unbeliever. The problem with these mega churches is they try to make people feel comfortable to the point where they have some shallow experience with no Holy Spirit. There are a lot of professions without true conversion in many churches today. AAn unbeliever should feel welcome in any church, but in one full of the Holy Spirit they should never feel comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT