ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Kaepernick is the new face of Nike’s Just Do It Campaign.

I wish we could have these discussions without being so divisive but this is a divisive subject apparently. You have to look at it from all angles or you'll miss a lot. I've spent a lot of time engaged in discussions about this very issue. Let's start with what Kaepernick said at the outset of his protest:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

"There is police brutality — people of color have been targeted by police," he said. "That’s a large part of it. [The police] are government officials. They are put in place by the government so that’s something that the country has to change. There are things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher … You have people who practice law, lawyers, who go to school for 8 years, but you can be a cop in 6 months. You don’t have to do the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. I mean someone with a curling iron has more education and training than people who have a gun. That's insane."

Oppressing a person means you keep (someone) in subservience and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority.

While you may not believe that is the case, that is still how many black people in the US feel. I don't like it any more than the next person but to get to a solution, we have to start with reality and go from there. I do not believe we oppress black people in this nation but I have a lot of really good friends who feel that while they may not be oppressed, they do feel discriminated against and limited by their skin color.

This is a video example I saw recently where a young man was clearly treated in an unacceptable way:

Almost every black man I know has gone through something akin to this. It's wrong and because they can all identify with it, the seeds of anger have taken a deep rooted hold in their psyche. I have been through something like this once and it has forever affected how I view the police even through all my other interactions have been very positive. It is not right to dismiss the impact encounters like this have. Just ask Senator Tim Scott about it because he's been through this disparate treatment as a Senator. It is real whether we want to admit it or not. Law enforcement officers are good people by and large. They are out to help serve the public good and because of that, they wield enormous power. That power is a power to influence and impact how society views groups and how society views them.

Kaepernick said they get less training than a hair dresser. That isn't true. They go to a roughly 6 month academy where they stay and train night and day to be a police officer. There is other training after that which takes place. My issue with him is that he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about most of the time. His facts are either circumstantially presented or just flat out wrong.

This is where the chicken and egg argument comes in. According to the stats I could find, black people have committed over 50% of the total homicides in this country over the last 30 or so years despite being only 13% of the total population. That's a staggering number. We can't fix the problem of disparate treatment by police without addressing this problem at the same time. They walk hand in hand. Depending on your viewpoint politically, most people focus on one or the other and ignore the opposing point. Most black people live in cities which are almost all controlled entirely by democratic officials and a large percentage of those folks are also black. Many of the most prominent cases we have seen involve black officers in departments run by black police chiefs. Yet even in these cases, black people are not treated the same by police. Look at these stats and you might say it's justified but is it? Justice is supposed to be blind. Clearly it isn't and that is the problem we must endeavor to solve.

This post has gotten too long. But my point is just that I wish we could deal with this all around issue without being so divisive. That won't happen until we take off our partisan glasses and see there is a real problem and it exists on all sides and we can only fix it by coming together to stop the violence. Stopping the violence is the first step coupled with a renewed commitment to stop targeting people by race. All of this goes on whether we like it or not and it is unacceptable in our nation. We should all be free of this crap!

Last edited:
Kaep has the number one selling jersey. I bet his line of clothing will be the second highest grossing brand behind Jordan.
You're right... Kaep's merchandise will do huge sales...especially with a specific target audience...

Problem is, they've alienated a much wider audience so while Kaep's merch will do well with a specific crowd, Nike, as a whole, will suffer...

I've channeled my inner-lib & have decided that EVERYONE is racist.

I wish we could have these discussions without being so divisive but this is a divisive subject apparently. You have to look at it from all angles or you'll miss a lot. I've spent a lot of time engaged in discussions about this very issue. Let's start with what Kaepernick said to start with:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

"There is police brutality — people of color have been targeted by police," he said. "That’s a large part of it. [The police] are government officials. They are put in place by the government so that’s something that the country has to change. There are things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher … You have people who practice law, lawyers, who go to school for 8 years, but you can be a cop in 6 months. You don’t have to do the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. I mean someone with a curling iron has more education and training than people who have a gun. That's insane."

Oppressing a person means you keep (someone) in subservience and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority.

While you may not believe that is the case, that is still how many black people in the US feel. I don't like it any more than the next person but to get to a solution, we have to start with reality and go from there. I do not believe we oppress black people in this nation but I have a lot of really good friends who feel that why they may not be oppressed, they do feel discriminated against and limited by their skin color.

This is a video example I saw recently where a young man was clearly treated in an unacceptable way:

Almost every black man I know has gone through something akin to this. It's wrong and because they can all identify with it, the seeds of anger have taken a deep rooted hold in their psyche. I have been through something like this once and it has forever affected how I view the police even through all my other interactions have been very positive. It is not right to dismiss the impact encounters like this have. Just ask Senator Tim Scott about it because he's been through this disparate treatment as a Senator. It is real whether we want to admit it or not. Law enforcement officers are good people by and large. They are out to help serve the public good and because of that, they wield enormous power. That power is a power to influence and impact how society views groups and how society views them.

Kaepernick said they get less training than a hair dresser. That isn't true. They go to a roughly 6 month academy where they stay and train night and day to be a police officer. There is other training after that which takes place. My issue with him is that he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about most of the time. His facts are either circumstantially presented or just flat out wrong.

This is where the chicken and egg argument comes in. According to the stats I could find, black people have committed over 50% of the total homicides in this country over the last 30 or so years despite being only 13% of the total population. That's a staggering number. We can't fix the problem of disparate treatment by police without addressing this problem at the same time. They walk hand in hand. Depending on your viewpoint politically, most people focus on one or the other and ignore the opposing point. Most black people live in cities which are almost all controlled entirely by democratic officials and a large percentage of those folks are also black. Many of the most prominent cases we have seen involve black officers in departments run by black police chiefs. Yet even in these cases, black people are not treated the same by police. Look at these stats and you might say it's justified but is it? Justice is supposed to be blind. Clearly it isn't and that is the problem we must endeavor to solve.

This post has gotten too long. But my point is just that I wish we could deal with this all around issue without being so divisive. That won't happen until we take off our partisan glasses and see there is a real problem and it exists on all sides and we can only fix it by coming together to stop the violence. Stopping the violence is the first step coupled with a renewed commitment to stop targeting people by race. All of this goes on whether we like it or not and it is unacceptable in our nation. We should all be free of this crap!
This is the type of mature, open-minded conversation that solves problems, rather than divides.

Kaep has been far from perfect in his protest but I think he has learned from his mistakes and is committed to the cause.

One item I would challenge you on is that stopping inner city violence is the first step. I believe that is more the effect rather than the cause. There is such a distrust of law enforcement and the judicial system in the black community. That is the first thing that needs to be healed and officers getting paid leave for shooting unarmed black men is not helping.

Watching any of the OJ documentaries will highlight why that distrust exists. I have black friends who are multi-millionaire CEOs, lawyers, doctors, etc. they ALL get pulled over multiple times per year for not using a turn signal or not coming to a complete stop.

Reactions: fcctiger12
One item I would challenge you on is that stopping inner city violence is the first step. I believe that is more the effect rather than the cause. There is such a distrust of law enforcement and the judicial system in the black community. That is the first thing that needs to be healed and officers getting paid leave for shooting unarmed black men is not helping.

@VeniceTiger From my perspective, I don't know how we can make the assertion that inner city violence is an effect of disparate treatment by police. That's a few bridges too far for me. The breakdown of the family, the "I don't give a shit about you" mentality society at large has and the horrendous educational disparity in the city leads these kids to seek family. They find family in gangs. I would encourage everyone to read about why these kids go to gangs. It's significantly about a sense of belonging, an opportunity to advance and use their skills... and a twisted morality that we have done little to combat. They will literally kill and rob for a sense of belonging. They are that desperate and we have not gotten into addressing this issue.

@VeniceTiger From my perspective, I don't know how we can make the assertion that inner city violence is an effect of disparate treatment by police. That's a few bridges too far for me. The breakdown of the family, the "I don't give a shit about you" mentality society at large has and the horrendous educational disparity in the city leads these kids to seek family. They find family in gangs. I would encourage everyone to read about why these kids go to gangs. It's significantly about a sense of belonging, an opportunity to advance and use their skills... and a twisted morality that we have done little to combat. They will literally kill and rob for a sense of belonging. They are that desperate and we have not gotten into addressing this issue.

You don't see a whole lot of hipster on hipster violence, so I don't think it's just tied to the "breakdown in the family". It makes more sense to me that the illegal activities of some poor black communities are more tied to the fact that they are systematically treated worse by our society than other communities.

I wish we could have these discussions without being so divisive but this is a divisive subject apparently. You have to look at it from all angles or you'll miss a lot. I've spent a lot of time engaged in discussions about this very issue. Let's start with what Kaepernick said at the outset of his protest:

While you may not believe that is the case, that is still how many black people in the US feel. I don't like it any more than the next person but to get to a solution, we have to start with reality and go from there. I do not believe we oppress black people in this nation but I have a lot of really good friends who feel that while they may not be oppressed, they do feel discriminated against and limited by their skin color.

You're right... but like anything, it takes two to dance.

pretty much, yeah

white discrimination is not a thing. it's the same people who've created this faux victimhood over a war on christmas or christianity. it's utterly stupid and nonexistent.

You could not be more wrong. Racism and discrimination are not limited to one group but are universal across all cultures and countries. As long as there are people (of any color) there are going to be a sub group of racists and people who discriminate within the population. And on top of that what is accepted as factual in sociological and scientific circles... as a white guy I can tell you I have experienced it.

My father in law (who is white) was given a job when there was not a position open because the Federal Government (VA) found he was discriminated against and not given an interview -when he was the most qualified and was a veteran who was disabled while on active duty. The reason he was looked over was most of the office he was applying for was African American and they hired an African American (who went to the same college as the boss) without even interviewing my father-in-law. Per govt. regulations he is guaranteed an interview. During an audit the Office of Veteran Affairs found it years later and he was told he was discriminated against and he was guaranteed a job even though they didn't have an opening.

Personally, I was refused service at the Water Works -who were so ridiculous I wrote an account and emailed the director and the four ladies were called in to apologize, and other times had people behind me in line served ahead of me (who were the race of the employee) in a very obvious way.

My wife and I both went to schools where we were the minority and I can tell you there are African American kids who mess with white kids because they are white. There is good in people and bad in people and it isn't dependent on skin color.

No idea what planet you are on to believe the stuff you write...

Last edited:
large.BDD228DA-6B6E-440D-A4B4-DA70CC240BB9.jpeg.40d0903ebb082e3c18dddd4e6a8e1de1.jpeg

You could not be more wrong. Racism and discrimination are not limited to one group but are universal across all cultures and countries. As long as there are people (of any color) there are going to be a sub group of racists and people who discriminate within the population. And on top of that what is accepted as factual in sociological and scientific circles... as a white guy I can tell you I have experienced it.

My father in law (who is white) was given a job when there was not a position open because the Federal Government (VA) found he was discriminated against and not given an interview -when he was the most qualified and was a veteran who was disabled while on active duty. The reason he was looked over was most of the office he was applying for was African American and they hired an African American (who went to the same college as the boss) without even interviewing my father-in-law. Per govt. regulations he is guaranteed an interview. During an audit the Office of Veteran Affairs found it years later and he was told he was discriminated against and he was guaranteed a job even though they didn't have an opening.

Personally, I was refused service at the Water Works -who were so ridiculous I wrote an account and emailed the director and the four ladies were called in to apologize, and other times had people behind me in line served ahead of me (who were the race of the employee) in a very obvious way.

My wife and I both went to schools where we were the minority and I can tell you there are African American kids who mess with white kids because they are white. There is good in people and bad in people and it isn't dependent on skin color.

No idea what planet you are on to believe the stuff you write...
This is true, discrimination exists across all cultures. Now, realize that most of the police culture in this country, while localized and individual to each community, is predominantly white and that they predominantly tend to arrest blacks and bust them up and shoot them up.
Kaep aint the best at articulating the issue, its a complicated one, but the above facts are facts. I don't blame African Americans for being sick of the situation, feeling disenfranchised or pissed off. I mean shit, they only got to be full citizens what, 50 years ago. White people acting like Black people have nothing to blame but themselves is so tone deaf. But Black people acting like they have no responsibility for their situation, and always blaming outwards, well thats not responsible.

Either way its a discussion that is heated because of the history and blood shed. Listening and calmly talking about the subject isn't a bad idea. Our POTUS has done a good job of making sure that will not happen.

Ever been shot at by a cop?

Me neither.

Don't do stupid shit and its a non-issue.

This is the very problem with our society today. You don't shoot people for being quote on quote stupid or doing stupid things you lock there butt up and put them in jail. You don't shoot someone because you think they are doing something stupid. You do that to animals because they or uncapable of reasoning not a human being. Let any one of those situations where an unarmed black man, woman or child was cold-blooded murder by a police officer had been replaced with a DOG the amount of backlash the police officer would receive would have been ridiculous for a DOG....A freaking DOG but they take the life of a person and you justify it by saying the person was acting stupid. You really need to get your priorities in order because that is the most idiotic thing to come out of the mouth of a human being.

Nahh….you can do a little counting yourself. The dude wore socks with pigs in police uniforms on them to football practice. if they think he's admirable I don't find them respectable. I won't be buying any more nike products either.

I love police officers I'm a black man and I would definitely wear the same socks that Kaepernick wore because the Socks aren't for the good police officers its for the pigs that are out here murdering and killing innocent people. Everyone acts as though every police officer is bad which is not something that has ever been said by anybody, what has been said is it needs to stop and that applies to the ones who are doing it not to everyone and who cares whether you buy Nike or not Nike won't be hurt by it.

Reactions: VeniceTiger
I am so sick of the victim addiction in our society. I have no respect for anyone who panders and continues to play that card. The people who protested during the Civil Rights movement of the 60's with no protection, and actually experiencing beatings, fire hoses, dogs, death, etc. sacrificed everything that brought real change are real heroes. These contemporary cultural warriors like CK who protest and are protected who do not engage in real activities that bring any real change to anything and just use a victim narrative to manipulate and draw attention to themselves are pathetic. Every injustice needs to be dealt with, period. But everything that is called an injustice is not an injustice.

In my city in the last 2 weeks, 4 teenage black young men have been arrested for shooting and killing other black young men. A 16 and 17 year old last week on 2 different days, shot and killed other black men on their way to school and went to school like any other day after murdering people. Today, a young 18 year old black man was chased into a Chik-Fil-A and shot and killed in the Chik-fil-a by another young black man. The one who was shot, his grandmother was beaten to death in her home last week by another young black male. But Nike's going to pay CK millions because he's bitching and moaning about police brutality. Has there been unjustified police brutality? Yes. Is that the biggest epidemic in the communities CK is representing? Not by a long stretch. But because he's taking a knee, which brings no change, in a protected environment, he's a role model. Ridiculous!

You just don't understand but you think you do which is the funny part you're choosing to argue something that one is obvious and second is not even a part of what the person who is starting this argument is arguing about. If a thief goes and Robs a store of course you may say something about it but the end of the day a thief is going to be a thief but if a police officer goes and Robs a store that's a totally different deal because the police officer should not be doing the same thing as the thief and so in this situation if a person is going to choose to take someone else's life whether it's black on black white on black white on white or any other groups of people that has nothing to do with a police officer who is supposed to be protecting citizens but are instead killing them for no apparent reason other than they were afraid other than they were racist other than they deem them to be a danger to society other than they deemed them to be a super predator other than someone's wrong perception of a person that's what's being argued by the Kaepernick movement not about black on black crime which you are correct is also a problem but you can't choose what someone else should talk about and it's so funny that you believe outside of your right to freedom of speech. What you're saying is really acceptable whenever can Americans were being thrown in jail for for the drug crisis in the 70s 80s and 90s drugs which they did not bring into their community but yet they were Deemed a super predators for the crime and selling something that was put in their Community for them to do.

I’m sorry I must have missed the part in that article that said social injustice...I thought that was what the whole kneeling down thing was, you know police brutality, police harassment, etc.

You obviously don't know what the term social injustice means you should probably Google it before you start to speak it doesn't simply mean police brutality or police harassment the only part of your statement that is correct is the Etc at the end

And yet nothing is changed. Talk is cheap. Whose life is thread going to save. No one’s. Whose life will be better? No one. What community is going to be transformed because of this thread? Not a one. That’s the stupidest response possible.
You actually brought up a good point there whose life would this save we may never know but if there's one police officer who reads his board which again we may never know and next time he goes out and Patrols and They sees a black man woman and child who he wants thought of is being some kind of danger to society and makes a decision not to bother that child who may be doing childish things or have a conversation there's a possibility that that child's life or that man a woman's life would be saved. To correctly answer the questions you ask would be to say we don't know but the conversation we're having does leave room for it to be possible and so to just go ahead and answer the question like you really know the answer is really the stupidest response possible

Hi,

I’m white. I’ve experienced injustice based on my race and prejudice due to my race. I’ve experienced pure hatred due to my race.

I’ve actually been harassed and detained by a police officer, because of my race. CK isn’t helping anyone I know. He’s not making a difference for any communities I’m involved in.

I will Be among those who choose not to buy Nike in the future. Of course I pretty much have only bought extremely discounted Nike gear lately because they (as well as most) have become way to expensive.

In short, Keep thinking it’s the color of your skin that is the issue, and it will be. You are the biggest racist in your life if you think this way.

I think I just wasted a minute of my life that I can never get back reading your post sounds like another case of white privilege. Google it. Next.

I disagree 100%, police are not the problem.
No one said police in general are the problem what we are saying is that police in general should have better training in dealing with people who don't look like them one is part of the problem and the other problem is there are specific police officers who have had egregious situations they've been apart of that make those specific police officers a huge part of the problem. Again I'm black I love police officers and honestly I love white police officers sometime they treat me better than the black ones but still you missed the point when you think that we are talking about police officers as it being all inclusive

I think I just wasted a minute of my life that I can never get back reading your post sounds like another case of white privilege. Google it. Next.

Based on your post, your life seems rather worthless anyways, maybe I improved it. Keep reading for additional help!

And I would encourage you to promote 4 things in the black community

1. Finish free school. k-12
2. Get a job
3. Don't break the law
4. Don't have a kid out of wedlock

Walk me through where a fear of cops or courts influence any of the above 4 things. This will remove you from the dependency of the democratic party.

Government dependence and hating cops is a weird stance for black Americans imo.
please let's not play the percentage game.
1. There more white dropouts.
2. There more whites without a job and they're always complaining about either the job market the types of jobs that they have already and that stays a hot-button topic for every election year.
3. There are more whites who break the law it's just less publicized and or they get slaps on their wrist and it's not talked about.
4. This one is the only true statement.

I give a shit and the former head of the CIA should not be supporting someone who wore socks with the police as pigs. No FBI or CIA head or former head should be out there with their views in my opinion.
Dude the the socks with police as pigs represents the police who are pigs not police in general. I'm sorry Kaepernick could not find a pair of socks with police as pigs as well as having police as upstanding citizens which most of them are those socks just don't exist

No one said police in general are the problem what we are saying is that police in general should have better training in dealing with people who don't look like them one is part of the problem and the other problem is there are specific police officers who have had egregious situations they've been apart of that make those specific police officers a huge part of the problem. Again I'm black I love police officers and honestly I love white police officers sometime they treat me better than the black ones but still you missed the point when you think that we are talking about police officers as it being all inclusive

Yes because police only shoot black people.

You come across as very intelligent. I'm gonna refrain from challenging your position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT