ADVERTISEMENT

East Coast Port Strike - Will Kamala Stop It?

fatpiggy

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2002
I forget who our resident longshoreman is, but he would probable provide some unique insight.

Last edited:
NOPE THE DOPE WON'T

Dems are being bitch slapped by Union

ask the question how many crane operators make $ 600,000.00 a year at this time

I would think NONE

UNION wants that as a wage

• Haha
Reactions: lctiger831
NOPE THE DOPE WON'T

Dems are being bitch slapped by Union

ask the question how many crane operators make $ 600,000.00 a year at this time

I would think NONE

UNION wants that as a wage
Well, you present a compelling data rich case.

It’s likely you will see news circulating about a potential port strike. Unfortunately, the media often portrays us as “greedy union thugs,” which is why I want to provide some important context.

The International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) is the largest union of maritime workers in North America, representing over 85,000 longshoremen across the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Great Lakes, major U.S. rivers, Puerto Rico, Eastern Canada, and the Bahamas. The ILA has roots dating back to 1877 with the Association of Lumber Handlers on the Great Lakes. Locally, Charleston ILA Local 1422 was chartered in 1936, during a time when labor unions were critical in improving wages, safety, and job security in industries like shipping.

See the link below for a summary of the situation:

Our members work 24/7, 360 days a year, often in dangerous conditions such as extreme weather or long, grueling shifts. We are hard-working, blue-collar people who contribute directly to the local economy. Tragically, we lose lives every year due to the risks involved. During the pandemic, we never stopped working. While others had the chance to work from home or received stipends, we kept the world trade moving, without missing a beat.

See this important message from ILA President Harold Daggett:

The last ILA strike occurred in 1977, and one of the most pivotal moments in our history was the Charleston Five incident in 2000. A peaceful protest against non-union labor led to the arrest of five of our members, including then-president Ken Riley. After international solidarity and a long legal battle, the charges were eventually dropped, marking a significant win for labor rights.

See link for more information on this matter:

Charleston is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast, and our union workers are crucial to its operations. The union is also committed to community outreach, ensuring we remain connected to those we serve.

The media might cast us as the villains, but the reality is that shipping lines, our employers, used the pandemic as an excuse to raise their rates—sometimes by as much as six times the pre-COVID amount. This was blatant price gouging. We believe, deep down, they’re hoping we strike so they can increase rates even further and shift the blame to us. Feel free verify their record breaking profits over the last five years— you will see they cashed in on hundreds of billions of dollars during a global crisis, while we, the workers, never saw any hazard pay. In fact, we lost many members to COVID-19, including my uncle Andy Hogue. They are largely to blame for the inflated prices of consumer goods.

The union labor costs are minimal, accounting for just 3% of the shipping lines’ expenses. Our union is simply asking for fair compensation that keeps pace with today’s inflated costs.

Please take a moment to watch the videos I’ve shared to better understand the situation. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out, and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

It’s likely you will see news circulating about a potential port strike. Unfortunately, the media often portrays us as “greedy union thugs,” which is why I want to provide some important context.

The International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) is the largest union of maritime workers in North America, representing over 85,000 longshoremen across the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Great Lakes, major U.S. rivers, Puerto Rico, Eastern Canada, and the Bahamas. The ILA has roots dating back to 1877 with the Association of Lumber Handlers on the Great Lakes. Locally, Charleston ILA Local 1422 was chartered in 1936, during a time when labor unions were critical in improving wages, safety, and job security in industries like shipping.

Our members work 24/7, 360 days a year, often in dangerous conditions such as extreme weather or long, grueling shifts. We are hard-working, blue-collar people who contribute directly to the local economy. Tragically, we lose lives every year due to the risks involved. During the pandemic, we never stopped working. While others had the chance to work from home or received stipends, we kept the world trade moving, without missing a beat.

The last ILA strike occurred in 1977, and one of the most pivotal moments in our history was the Charleston Five incident in 2000. A peaceful protest against non-union labor led to the arrest of five of our members, including then-president Ken Riley. After international solidarity and a long legal battle, the charges were eventually dropped, marking a significant win for labor rights.

Charleston is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast, and our union workers are crucial to its operations. The union is also committed to community outreach, ensuring we remain connected to those we serve.

The media might cast us as the villains, but the reality is that shipping lines, our employers, used the pandemic as an excuse to raise their rates—sometimes by as much as six times the pre-COVID amount. This was blatant price gouging. We believe, deep down, they’re hoping we strike so they can increase rates even further and shift the blame to us. Feel free verify their record breaking profits over the last five years— you will see they cashed in on hundreds of billions of dollars during a global crisis, while we, the workers, never saw any hazard pay. In fact, we lost many members to COVID-19, including my uncle Andy Hogue. They are largely to blame for the inflated prices of consumer goods.

The union labor costs are minimal, accounting for just 3% of the shipping lines’ expenses. Our union is simply asking for fair compensation that keeps pace with today’s inflated costs.

Please take a moment to watch the videos I’ve shared to better understand the situation. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out, and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

I have a question, thanks for the discussion.

When your(?) leader says that you all work hard, worked through covid, and are important to the overall economy, I agree with him.

My question is, what makes this group of people think that they can hold the national economy hostage? Should every other group do the same? Are they not as important as you?

Thank you.

Can you post some job categories and the associated annual compensation being demanded by the union?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT