ADVERTISEMENT

FAT TAX IS SUPPORTED BY 86% OF T.I.

Shows how few in this country are able to think for themselves??? GTFO with that.
Guess we should all aspire to think like you and Taint. This board is always entertaining.
Have a good afternoon, gentlemen.
You haven’t provided a single fact nor any logic to support your argument. You are simply playing team sports, refusing to educate yourself. And now you are running from the conversation.

I used to feel more like @scotchtiger in that money could be used as an incentive to drive action. But then I learned that there are many people who aren’t very motivated by money. I’ve had my opinion changed many times by engaging in conversations and listening, and then reading more on the subject. It’s healthy.

THE SAME LOGIC SHOULD ABSOLUTELY APPLY TO TOBACCO.

ACTUALLY, IT'S GREAT THAT YOU BROUGHT UP TOBACCO. A GENERATION AGO, A LOT OF PEOPLE WANTED THE GOV'T TO STOP TRYING TO REGULATE TOBACCO, ESPECIALLY WARNING LABELS. FOR DECADES, INDUSTRY LOBBYISTS WERE ABLE TO HOLD BACK MOUNTAINS OF EVIDENCE UNTIL IT FINALLY CAME TO LIGHT. AS WE HAVE SEEN, SMOKING IS ON THE DECLINE BUT IT WILL LIKELY TAKE GENERATIONS TO TOTALLY HAVE IT PHASED OUT.

BACK TO FOOD, THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING WITH THE FOOD LOBBY. THE SUBSIDIES STAY HIGH FOR THE RAW MATERIALS THAT MAKE CRAPPY FOOD - WHICH MAKES IT CHEAP - WHICH MAKES IT MORE ATTAINABLE - MEANING IT'S CONSUMED MORE - AND FINALLY, CAUSES HEALTH CONSEQUENCES.

SO YOU DON'T LIKE THE GOV'T TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO. THAT'S FAIR. BUT JUST STOP AND THINK ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOU'RE OK WITH SUBSIDIZING SHITTY FOOD WHICH ULTIMATELY CAUSES HEALTH PROBLEMS WHICH WE ALSO PAY FOR.

I GUESS YOU'RE OK WITH THAT FOR WHAT REASON AGAIN?

I'm not OK with it. I do not willingly surrender my money to the govt so that they can do whatever they want to do with it. The govt has the power to lock me up if I try to prevent them from taking my money. Thats the only reason they get it from me.

Reactions: amynhop
So protecting healthy people's rights to not have to pay for fat people makes one a Nazi? Okay internet argument guy that has to result to Nazi comments because you don't have any other answers.
Because that is what you sound like. It's not hard. All under the guise of "protecting". Yea, I've heard that one before.

And lol at internet argument guy. Yea, you're a pacifist on this board. Nicest poster ever.....give me a break.

If you are on medicaid because you're mentally ill and you take meds for that that cause you to gain weight, where do you fit in this scheme?

Why not just tax obesity on the front end by taxing unhealthy food? And put that towards public health initiatives?

Also, it is good to think about food stamps as an agribusiness/grocery store subsidy just as much as a subsidy for the poor. Where do you draw the nutritional line on what food is stamp eligible? Would be messy and impossible to parse and govern once big lobbyists got into it.

It seems again like just putting extra tax on high added sugar food is your best bet.
I would be for this as long as there is an accurate definition of unhealthy food based on independent scientific studies not funded by industry.

The government already subsidizes unhealthy food today, so a lot would have to change in the political landscape for this to definition to truly be accurate.

Reactions: VeniceTiger
genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger ... this is true for basically every health related disease

this is too simplistic in the context of t2. there are lots of people who live a sedentary lifestyle, with terrible eating habits, who will die from complications related to their obesity, who wont get diabetes.

I'm not OK with it. I do not willingly surrender my money to the govt so that they can do whatever they want to do with it. The govt has the power to lock me up if I try to prevent them from taking my money. Thats the only reason they get it from me.

OK, GOT IT. SO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE FED GOV'T IS GONNA GET YOUR MONEY NO MATTER WHAT. SO WOULD YOU RATHER THOSE FUNDS GO TOWARD INVESTMENTS LIKE HEALTHY SCHOOL LUNCH, INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENT, TECHNICAL JOB TRAINING, CYBER SECURITY, ETC.
-OR-
WOULD YOU RATHER THOSE FUNDS GO TO SUBSIDIZE UNHEALTHY FOODS AND SURGERIES/DOCTOR VISITS/ER VISITS/TREATMENTS/MEDS FOR UNHEALTHY, UNPRODUCTIVE AMERICANS.

AND THIS ISN'T DIRECTED AT YOU, BUT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT AN EPIDEMIC THIS IS. AGAIN, THE LAST GENERATION WAS TAUGHT THAT TOBACCO WAS FINE FOR YOU. THINK ABOUT THE $$$ THAT'S BEEN THROWN AWAY SINCE THEN TO TREAT SMOKERS FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS THEY HAVE. THE FED GOV'T TOOK A LAX APPROACH TO TOBACCO, ALLOWING IT TO STILL BE SOLD TO THE PUBLIC BUT WITH INCREASED WARNINGS AND TAXES. FAST FORWARD TO TODAY AND WE HAVE A VERY GRADUAL REDUCTION IN SMOKING OVER TIME. IT'S WORKING, BUT NOT THAT FAST.

I TEND TO WANT TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS WITH FOOD/LIFESTYLE/BMI.

I've proposed some of these before:
  • Allow health insurers to rate people based on controllable health factors (ie obesity, smoking, etc.). Uncontrollable pre-existing conditions still excluded, but if a smoker is likely to be 3X more expensive and an obese person is likely to be 4X more expensive than a fit non-smoker, then that's the rate they should pay.
  • Charge people a Medicare surcharge tax if their controllable health factors predict a future burden on the Medicare program. They can earn this back if they reverse their trend. They are ineligible for Medicare if they don't participate in annual preventative health appointments. Over 65 pays surcharge as well if obese/smoke/etc.
  • Mandatory health improvement initiatives if you are obese/smoking/etc. and on Medicaid.
  • EDIT: Add limiting food stamps to healthy food and generics .No fast food. No junk food. No candy.
  • Plenty of other opportunities to have those placing a burden on the system pay their fair share while financially discouraging unhealthy behavior.
FIFY

I believe in personal accountability, but you sometimes have to help people help themselves. Western Europeans live healthier lifestyles than average Americans already, so maybe they are on to something.

More people die from health issues related to bad eating habits than marijuana, but somehow weed is still illegal in most states. Seems like our priorities are off.

Dude, if you want people to eat less you don’t give them marijuana

Reactions: The Mixed Mamba
OK, GOT IT. SO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE FED GOV'T IS GONNA GET YOUR MONEY NO MATTER WHAT. SO WOULD YOU RATHER THOSE FUNDS GO TOWARD INVESTMENTS LIKE HEALTHY SCHOOL LUNCH, INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENT, TECHNICAL JOB TRAINING, CYBER SECURITY, ETC.
-OR-
WOULD YOU RATHER THOSE FUNDS GO TO SUBSIDIZE UNHEALTHY FOODS AND SURGERIES/DOCTOR VISITS/ER VISITS/TREATMENTS/MEDS FOR UNHEALTHY, UNPRODUCTIVE AMERICANS.

AND THIS ISN'T DIRECTED AT YOU, BUT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT AN EPIDEMIC THIS IS. AGAIN, THE LAST GENERATION WAS TAUGHT THAT TOBACCO WAS FINE FOR YOU. THINK ABOUT THE $$$ THAT'S BEEN THROWN AWAY SINCE THEN TO TREAT SMOKERS FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS THEY HAVE. THE FED GOV'T TOOK A LAX APPROACH TO TOBACCO, ALLOWING IT TO STILL BE SOLD TO THE PUBLIC BUT WITH INCREASED WARNINGS AND TAXES. FAST FORWARD TO TODAY AND WE HAVE A VERY GRADUAL REDUCTION IN SMOKING OVER TIME. IT'S WORKING, BUT NOT THAT FAST.

I TEND TO WANT TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS WITH FOOD/LIFESTYLE/BMI.

Wait....Tobacco is not fine for you??? I started dipping the year the tigers won their first natty.....a few months after.....

Wait....Tobacco is not fine for you??? I started dipping the year the tigers won their first natty.....a few months after.....

HA, IF YOU WANT TO SHOVE TOBACCO AND TINY BITS OF FIBERGLASS INTO YOUR LIP, I JUST DONT WANT TO PAY FOR YOUR CANCER TREATMENTS AND SURGERIES.

Reactions: CU_TrialLawyer
Sorry, I didn’t mean to diminish your point. Absolutely true and a reason why those in nYC tend to be healthier. I content that a bigger reason is that the food sold in America is the lowest quality in the world. People in this thread don’t want government oversight but they don’t understand that food companies can manipulate the average American consumer. 90% of what is in your average grocery store should not be eaten. And the stuff in fast food is much worse.

Thanks for clarifying. I wholly agree.

If we want to fix this problem, we need to be approaching it from multiple fronts.
- Use smart legislation to improve the quality of food available to American consumers (no different than what other countries have successfully done).
- Slowly work to improve our cities and towns, so that being more active is a natural part of a person's life.

*sidenote - Horrifying nutritional recognition and a great place to start on point one above. I was astounded when my wife stopped breastfeeding and we had to pick a formula to feed our daughters. High Fructose Corn Syrup was one of the primary ingredients in >90% of the formulas available in the US. Not to mention a laundry list of synthetically derived ingredients. Talk about starting our kids on a path to failure in terms of weight/health management. We ended up buying European formula online for a few months before we finally found one US brand we were comfortable with.

Reactions: VeniceTiger
HA, IF YOU WANT TO SHOVE TOBACCO AND TINY BITS OF FIBERGLASS INTO YOUR LIP, I JUST DONT WANT TO PAY FOR YOUR CANCER TREATMENTS AND SURGERIES.
I actually quit in April. But, I don't drink or smoke, not fat, can still wear my citadel uniform from 92, and I work out everyday.

Doesn't mean the Lord won't take me tomorrow, but if He does, my time is up and I'm ready.

I do love me some fried chicken and collard greens. Love liverpuddin and grits. Try to tax that and see how it goes for you carpetbagger.

Lol at anybody who thinks their tax liability will ever be lowered bc the government controlled calories on foods or taxed fat people more. There's some awfully naive people in this thread

THIS IS AN INTERESTING TAKE. SO IF I DONT WANT TO WORK. YOU ARE OK WITH ME DRAWING WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, AND UNLIMITED HEALTHCARE? BASED ON YOUR LOGIC, THIS IS MY RIGHT AS AN AMERICAN- TO BE LAZY BECAUSE THE ACTUAL TAX PAYERS WILL TAKE CARE OF ME.

GOOD TO KNOW.

LOL...Guess you don't mind domestic spying either... Government going to save us for ourselves...

Some of these post make me sad to think some of you call yourselves human beings. Basketball time, to hell with this thread!!!!

@TAINT_PAINT is preaching today. Best thread on a non-football topic in a while.

What is astonishing is the number of conservatives on this board who are in favor of providing subsidies to agribusiness. Does Cargill need taxpayer dollars?

Send my money to fix roads + schools.

@TAINT_PAINT maybe if you tell them that Trump does not like FATS. He hates fats. He likes girls in bikinis.

Reactions: TAINT_PAINT
Lol at anybody who thinks their tax liability will ever be lowered bc the government controlled calories on foods or taxed fat people more. There's some awfully naive people in this thread
NEVER SAID TAXES WOULD GO DOWN.
BUT PERSONALLY I WANT MY TAX DOLLARS GOONG TOWARDS SOMETHING OTHER THAN KEEPING FATS BARELY ALIVE AND SUBSIDIZING THE TERRIBLE FOOD THAT GOT THEM THERE.

Nope. That's where we disagree. Don't need the government to "step in" to regulate what we damn eat.
Where the freak does that end with the government "stepping in"?

Uh... no thanks.
Biggest thing ITT to me. I can't believe the amount of "adults" on here that are fine with giving the government more control of what we do. If the government stayed 90% more out of health care, the post office, and government benefits then alot of these problems wiyh these would work themselves out

Reactions: amynhop
NEVER SAID TAXES WOULD GO DOWN.
BUT PERSONALLY I WANT MY TAX DOLLARS GOONG TOWARDS SOMETHING OTHER THAN KEEPING FATS BARELY ALIVE AND SUBSIDIZING THE TERRIBLE FOOD THAT GOT THEM THERE.
Then thats where your mouth should be yelling. Who gives a sh1t how fat a person wants to get? That's his business. Be mad at the government for using your tax dollars to fund it. All government needs to take 3 steps back

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
this is too simplistic in the context of t2. there are lots of people who live a sedentary lifestyle, with terrible eating habits, who will die from complications related to their obesity, who wont get diabetes.
people following an unhealthy lifestyle and not getting type 2 diabetes doesn't dismiss the fact that lifestyle (not genetics) is the primary cause of it

my point is simply that the vast majority (90%+) of type 2 diabetes as well as other health problems such as heart disease and obesity are completely preventable with a healthly diet and lifestyle, regardless of genetics

Last edited:
This is a popular local food talking point, but I don't buy it.

Corn, soy, etc... have a price determined on a global market. If we stopped subsidizing them, the prices wouldn't shoot up where they would become more expensive than healthier foods so much as US producers would just become noncompetitive.

We would end up drinking cokes filled with brazilian corn syrup that cost basically the same amount.
If our gov't stopped subsidizing corn and artificially bringing down it's price, we'd be drinking Cokes with cane sugar like the rest of the world. However, due to corn being the largest agricultural crop in the United States, high fructose corn syrup is cheaper and therefore used for a better bottom line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT