ADVERTISEMENT

Football season in jeopardy?

I'm not saying it's going to happen but I don't think it's going to be shocking to have limited stadium capacities again if the numbers don't flatten soon. We are going up a pretty steep hill right now. Cases have doubled each of the last 3 weeks. Today DHEC reported 2203 new cases (1392 confirmed, 811 probable). If we keep going on the current trajectory SC will be at February/January type numbers next week.

My wife (nurse) said that their covid numbers in the ICU doubled in a 2 day span this week at her hospital in Columbia.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but I don't think it's going to be shocking to have limited stadium capacities again if the numbers don't flatten soon. We are going up a pretty steep hill right now. Cases have doubled each of the last 3 weeks. Today DHEC reported 2203 new cases (1392 confirmed, 811 probable). If we keep going on the current trajectory SC will be at February/January type numbers next week.

My wife (nurse) said that their covid numbers in the ICU doubled in a 2 day span this week at her hospital in Columbia.
I have the same concerns. My wife is also a nurse in Columbia (Lexington). She’s not in ICU or anything like that, but the respiratory therapists she works with on her floor say that things are getting bad. Those folks are spread really thin because of the increase in hospitalizations.

Sounds like someone’s trying to make the news…
It’s easy to put out tweets like this, citing zero sources just to create waves…get clicks…
It’s BS…
I think it's a bit naïve to think that schools and conferences haven't been discussing this recent spike. It's not an outrageous tweet or claim imo. I'm not saying they are going take any action as of right now but they are definitely keeping an eye on things. It would be pretty negligent to not at least discuss what's happening and plan for contingencies if you are in a position of power at these institutions.

Sounds like someone’s trying to make the news…
It’s easy to put out tweets like this, citing zero sources just to create waves…get clicks…
It’s BS…
I find it highly unlikely that those in power are NOT talking about this right now. You don't have to look far in the data or CDC guidance changes to see that all arrows are pointing towards future concerns.

I have the same concerns. My wife is also a nurse in Columbia (Lexington). She’s not in ICU or anything like that, but the respiratory therapists she works with on her floor say that things are getting bad. Those folks are spread really thin because of the increase in hospitalizations.
I work for Prisma Health and our COVID numbers are increasing by the day also. Looking at possibly increasing the capacity of ICU beds at one of our community hospitals.
Plus, Greenwood High School has 70 students in quarantine after only 1 week in school.
We are having our SC football official's clinic tomorrow in Columbia. Will be interesting if a full season happens this year.

The quickest way to get people vaccinated in Alabama is to tell them they aren't going to allow attendance to Alabama/Auburn games or televise the games until the state reached 70% vaccination rate.

Last edited:
Everything I'm hearing anecdotally from the healthcare sector is that this is largely burning through the unvaccinated population. Some vaccinated folks are popping positive, and a very few are true "breakthrough" cases where a vaccinated person gets severe Covid. If what these folks are telling me is true, I still think it makes more sense to just go ahead and get vaccinated. And I think it makes no sense to make vaccinated folks mask up again.

Everything I'm hearing anecdotally from the healthcare sector is that this is largely burning through the unvaccinated population. Some vaccinated folks are popping positive, and a very few are true "breakthrough" cases where a vaccinated person gets severe Covid. If what these folks are telling me is true, I still think it makes more sense to just go ahead and get vaccinated. And I think it makes no sense to make vaccinated folks mask up again.
I think we should just go full bore and let all the anti-vaxxers get it. Will be a huge benefit to the future of human evolution. We are watching survival of the fittest happen in real time.

Nervous about UGA game in North Carolina (Charlotte much less.) I don't think South Carolina will restrict capacity if it is left up to individual states. Also planning to head to PITT which may be affected. It'll be very predictable which states shut things down first.
Soooo glad my tickets sold on stubhub this week

Reactions: rickcoak
I think we should just go full bore and let all the anti-vaxxers get it. Will be a huge benefit to the future of human evolution. We are watching survival of the fittest happen in real time.
The herd of buffalo is only as fast as the slowest buffalo. Therefore, each time the slowest buffalo gets killed, the herd gets faster as a whole.

Same for brain cells. And beer kills the slowest brain cells first. So, that's why we are always smarter after a few.

Uh huh, sure.
Since you’re so smart and pimp these vaccines non stop on here, why did the CDC release data this past April that stated 7,157 new Covid cases among fully vaccinated in the U.S., with 88 of those resulting in death? Then in May the CDC conveniently stopped tracking deaths of fully and partially vaccinated. Why is that?

The season will be jeopardized...by the unvaccinated...and they'll bitch the loudest...about their freedom.
Not me. I'm not gonna bitch. Whatever CNN, CDC, DNC, Santa Claus or whoever wants me to do I'm game. An injection a week, never work again, watching tv isolated at home -- good deal. Just mail me my check. And oh those masks...praise God they are working so well. Wish we could use that same technology at power plants and on cars. Imagine fixing our climate crisis in just a few months!.

Not me. I'm not gonna bitch. Whatever CNN, CDC, DNC, Santa Claus or whoever wants me to do I'm game. An injection a week, never work again, watching tv isolated at home -- good deal. Just mail me my check. And oh those masks...praise God they are working so well. Wish we could use that same technology at power plants and on cars. Imagine fixing our climate crisis in just a few months!.
This was creative!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT