ADVERTISEMENT

FPOTUS Trump attempted assassination…

@24TIGER gonna keep my question simple.

Do you think this was an inside job/etc or was this a legit single actor assassination attempt that was just a complete and utter failure of the USSS/LLE?

Last edited:
Staged? My word. Wtf?
I included all other scenarios in the first option. I don’t think it was staged FTR.

Basically asking was it as simple as a lone actor that slipped thru the cracks or is there more at play here.

The more we learn the more this stinks. The Keystone cops couldnt of screwed this up any worse.

When this is all said and done, It is highly likely that this will prove out to be a scenario where a number of seemingly small missteps led to a tragic outcome. There isn’t some conspiracy or necessarily some major mismanagement by the SS, it is simply a function of them having to rely on local LE for too much.

I suspect it will highlight the lack of sufficient resources the SS has for certain functions like campaigns. Many of these rallies, particularly late in the cycle, happen with just a few days notice.

When this is all said and done, It is highly likely that this will prove out to be a scenario where a number of seemingly small missteps led to a tragic outcome. There isn’t some conspiracy or necessarily some major mismanagement by the SS, it is simply a function of them having to rely on local LE for too much.

I suspect it will highlight the lack of sufficient resources the SS has for certain functions like campaigns. Many of these rallies, particularly late in the cycle, happen with just a few days notice.
So are you saying the local LE which is being thrown under the bus is full of barney fife type guys? That inept? They are now saying that while the shooter was on top of the building the local sniper team was in the building. This is so outlandish it would be hard to make up. I think this entire thing needs to be investigated like a crime looking at all involved. If it comes out to be just a sad string of mistakes and bad timing then I guess its better than the alternative that a group worked together to murder Trump and almost succeeded.

This take is way to rational and well thought out for a message board.

Reactions: 12Ghost12 and leetp
So are you saying the local LE which is being thrown under the bus is full of barney fife type guys? That inept? They are now saying that while the shooter was on top of the building the local sniper team was in the building. This is so outlandish it would be hard to make up. I think this entire thing needs to be investigated like a crime looking at all involved. If it comes out to be just a sad string of mistakes and bad timing then I guess its better than the alternative that a group worked together to murder Trump and almost succeeded.
It is of course being investigated right now. But the one thing that is certain is that whatever the investigation results, there will be people who don't accept the results of the investigation.

Think I read where Trump was calling for a private investigation

I agree 100% with this...I think it was incompetence and a failed security detail. Whether lack of planning, lack of execution, or a combination of both. I think it was just a major fail.

I m
If you don’t believe any of the scenarios, why the post? I think some people hate Trump enough they would pay a hit man if they thought the could get away with it.

The idea that Trump or really anyone at that level would try to pull off a publicity stunt knowing that lives would likely be lost defies any type of sanity.
yes ... the idea it was orchestrated is so ridiculous as is he for mentioning it

Really... pay a guy to shoot you and aim at your head
Let others be killed for it and find someone dumb enough to die for it
Goodness gracious people just do not think before they speak out stupid ideas

Showing up for me.

Local LE CS team was responsible for the building. They were supposed to be using it as an OB for surveilling the perimeter. They should have been on the roof of the building the shooter fired from. Instead, they were inside the building.
Seriously...what good were they inside

Reactions: purple2
IMHO, Many of our government agencies are portrayed as evil in fictional streaming media geared to viewer count. The impressions from this seem to be taken as truth by much of the viewing audience. If you look hard enough you will find something to find fault with.

To me, this facilitates much of the distrust of our government and subsequent ramifications. Not perfect with plenty of historical flaws, but still the country I consider a blessing to have lived and raised family within.

No, not at all. The local law enforcement, and by the way everyone at the rally in any security capacity, was there to prevent what happend from happening. It just didn’t come together.

I don’t care how good of an officer you are, if you don’t have adequate communication with a clearly understood plan, you can be left looking pretty stupid. Someone, somewhere didn’t do their job well enough, I am sure of that, but it doesn’t have to be becuase they were a Barney Fife type. It could be b/c they had too much to do (can’t be in two places at once) or were unclear about their role or to the extent how it would need to change if a shooter was identified.

It has already been confirmed that two officers went to check out the commotion on the roof. One climbed up the latter and was able to distract the shooter, but was not able to stop him due to a rifle being pointed at him, he ducked and fell. He needed both hands to hold himself, so he didn’t have his side arm ready to engage.

Who was responsible for that building should be easy to ascertain, but that needs to stay under wraps until more is known about the timing and what was said when. As of now the Local LE is saying they were not responsible for that building and the SS is saying, no they were responsible. Maybe that is the issue, no one understood they were responsible.

I run a business, at the end of the day my employees make decisions and I am held responsible for them. Good, bad or indifferent, the buck stops with me. The SS was the agency in charge and they are tasked with using local resources. There job is to bring all types of LE together and implement a strategic plan that works and that didn’t happen. I am sure they will figure out why and work to correct it.

No, not at all. The local law enforcement, and by the way everyone at the rally in any security capacity, was there to prevent what happend from happening. It just didn’t come together.

I don’t care how good of an officer you are, if you don’t have adequate communication with a clearly understood plan, you can be left looking pretty stupid. Someone, somewhere didn’t do their job well enough, I am sure of that, but it doesn’t have to be becuase they were a Barney Fife type. It could be b/c they had too much to do (can’t be in two places at once) or were unclear about their role or to the extent how it would need to change if a shooter was identified.

It has already been confirmed that two officers went to check out the commotion on the roof. One climbed up the latter and was able to distract the shooter, but was not able to stop him due to a rifle being pointed at him, he ducked and fell. He needed both hands to hold himself, so he didn’t have his side arm ready to engage.

Who was responsible for that building should be easy to ascertain, but that needs to stay under wraps until more is known about the timing and what was said when. As of now the Local LE is saying they were not responsible for that building and the SS is saying, no they were responsible. Maybe that is the issue, no one understood they were responsible.

I run a business, at the end of the day my employees make decisions and I am held responsible for them. Good, bad or indifferent, the buck stops with me. The SS was the agency in charge and they are tasked with using local resources. There job is to bring all types of LE together and implement a strategic plan that works and that didn’t happen. I am sure they will figure out why and work to correct it.
Yeah... to me it is pretty simple...

What was the plan?

Did they execute the plan?

Why did the plan fail if they did execute it?

Why were there not checks in place to make sure the plan was being executed if they did not execute it?

Reactions: Biggunzz
As well he should as I'm sure the FBI will have his best interests at heart. And if I were him I'd be hiring my own private security firm or firing the current one and getting a better one.

Think the investigation team initially was going to be the same ones that have investigated all the other things Trump but who knows what is out out there is true and what’s not

From head of secret service: ""That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said. ..... Such a Poor excuse!!

Last edited:
From head of secret service: ""That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said. Poor excuse!!

Yeah that was a bad decision

Reactions: yemassee
From head of secret service: ""That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said. Poor excuse!!
The roof that the two snipers were on was sloped, so ok to be on that roof but not the AGR roof?

If she said that, which I doubt, she's an idiot. The counter-sniper team was on a sloped roof.

Reactions: 60minuteman
If she said that, which I doubt, she's an idiot. The counter-sniper team was on a sloped roof.
From interview on ABC via FOX :
The head of the Secret Service has revealed that the shooter who tried to kill former President Trump was identified as a "potential person of suspicion," but by the time units were able to track him down, he had managed to open fire at the rally in Pennsylvania.

United States Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle made the remark in an interview that aired on ABC News just hours after Fox News Digital reported that a local law enforcement officer spotted a suspicious man carrying a range-finder just 30 minutes before Saturday’s attempted assassination in Butler.

That officer reported the sighting to state police, a law enforcement source said. He took a photo, and there was a discussion about whether what he was carrying was a pair of binoculars to try and see the rally better. But then a few minutes into Trump's remarks, the would-be assassin — identified as Thomas Matthew Crooks, 20 — began shooting, according to authorities.

"I'm being told that the shooter was actually identified as a potential person of suspicion. Units started responding to seek that individual out," Cheatle told ABC News. "Unfortunately, with the rapid succession of how things unfolded, by the time that individual was eventually located, they were on the rooftop and were able to fire off at the former president."

LAST WORDS OF ‘HERO’ FIREFIGHTER WHO DIED AT TRUMP RALLY SHOOTING REVEALED

Armed men stand over a downed suspect, whose face is blurred

Authorities approached the position that Crooks used to open fire at the Trump rally on Saturday in Butler, Pennsylvania. (Obtained by Fox News Digital)
Cheatle acknowledged in the interview that responsibility for the security failure that led to the attempted assassination of Trump ultimately rests with herself.

"The buck stops with me," Cheatle said, adding that "This is an event that should have never happened."

LIVE UPDATES: REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION

An undated image of Thomas Matthew Crooks.

An undated image of Thomas Matthew Crooks, who has been identified as the shooter who opened fire at the Trump rally on July 13. (Handout via AFP)
Cheatle also told ABC News her first reaction to the shooting was "shock."

She said the Secret Service was aware of the security vulnerabilities presented by the building Crooks took a sniper's position on to aim at Trump. However, a decision was made not to place any personnel on the roof.

Trump holds fist

Trump raises his fist after being shot during a campaign rally on Saturday in Butler, Pennsylvania. (Rebecca Droke/AFP via Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

"That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said.

• Wow
Reactions: GoodWord28
As well he should as I'm sure the FBI will have his best interests at heart. And if I were him I'd be hiring my own private security firm or firing the current one and getting a better one.
That is an interesting thought. @24TIGER, have you run into a protectee having their own security in addition to USSS? How would that work?

I would assume that the USSS would always take priority or else the candidate would give up USSS protection and hire their own. I see no way they could work together.

That is an interesting thought. @24TIGER, have you run into a protectee having their own security in addition to USSS? How would that work?

I would assume that the USSS would always take priority or else the candidate would give up USSS protection and hire their own. I see no way they could work together.
No.

USSS has the assets that no one else has.

Did the USSS drop the ball on Saturday?

Absolutely.

Private security? That’s laughable.

I realize the public is upset (and rightfully so) but the USSS record of keeping protectee’s safe (over DECADES) speaks for itself.

And all of these experts crying for heads…how about YOU stepping up to the plate?

USSS is always looking for super qualified candidates. Seems to be a bunch out there.

I reiterate…the USSS royally screwed up, but the overall record speaks for itself.

***Last comment on this subject.

Go Tigers!!

Last edited:

Battlefield situational awareness is the Achilles heal of any operation. It has been since the dawn of coordinated warfare. That we could not bring the necessary technology to bear here to overcome this well-known weakness is just incredible.

Reactions: Will4Clemson
No.

USSS has the assets that no one else has.

Did the USSS drop the ball on Saturday?

Absolutely.

Private security? That’s laughable.

I realize the public is upset (and rightfully so) but the USSS record of keeping protectee’s safe (over DECADES) speaks for itself.

And all of these experts crying for heads…how about YOU stepping up to the plate?

USSS is always looking for super qualified candidates. Seems to be a bunch out there.

I reiterate…the USSS royally screwed up, but the overall record speaks for itself.

***Last comment on this subject.

Go Tigers!!
Thanks! My intention was to say, I don't see how you could blend the two... So I appreciate you confirming this.

Safe travels!

"That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

THIS is the excuse? That is one of the shallowest sloped roof you could hope for!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

THIS is the excuse? That is one of the shallowest sloped roof you could hope for!!!
That is insane. Even if you make that decision, why aren’t the assets outside guarding the building?

This is beyond a screw up

Reactions: leetp
The pitch of that roof is like 1/12, the same as ADA handicap ramps. What an incredibly stupid thing for her to say, super weak excuse.

My opinion, from all the available info, is (as previously stated ITT) a snowball effect of small oversights/lapses. Locals are supposed to be on that roof. They are freelancing the plan or not exactly where the plan dictated they should be. Not maliciously but decided to do something different than the USSS had expected. USSS doesn't have enough personnel on hand to more closely supervise the outer rings of protection. Dude gets on roof, everyone is trying to figure out who is up there, CS team is doped in on distances further out, lack of clear communication on who is on the roof, CS team thinks it is the locals because that's who is supposed to be up there and they aren't trying to delete a cop, comms is a shvt show between all the different agencies on the ground, before CS can deconflict shots are fired, no need for CS to deconflict so they push the delete button.

Not laying the blame at any particular agencies or individuals feet at this point. I have only had some tangential experience with the operations of the USSS, but in my limited experience they are a highly professional group of people. None of my time in boots was spent doing personal protection either. It goes without saying this shouldn't of happened and heads should likely roll.

I will add this too. It is a challenge, even for the most professional of people, to maintain a high state of mission focus while fighting the monotony of the day to day. A description dating back to WW1 described combat as months of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I can attest that that statement is as true today as when it was first uttered over 100 years ago. I am sure it is no different on a personal protection detail, months and months go by and nothing ever happens to even make your spidey senses tingle and then without warning the pucker factor goes through the roof.

Battlefield situational awareness is the Achilles heal of any operation. It has been since the dawn of coordinated warfare. That we could not bring the necessary technology to bear here to overcome this well-known weakness is just incredible.

Preach on!!

I have been bathed in the green beam from an AC-130, twas less than a pleasant feeling. But as I am here to type this it all worked out.

I've been doing a bunch of thinking about this since Saturday, and I'm quite shocked/frightened/nervous about how desensitized I've become to pretty much everything. We were at dinner with some friends about to head to a bar for a cover band. We all get an alert on our phones and the TV over the restaurant bar had a news break in. We had a former president, current nominee and presidential frontrunner shot on live TV in front of a political rally and my first thought Saturday night was "meh. I could use more ranch for these wings." It was something that is historic in our country and at the time (and even now) I cant really generate a whole bunch of energy about it. Honestly pretty much ignored all the initial reporting. It wasn't until I heard that attendees were hurt that really believed it was a real shooting.

The next morning, I saw the picture that captured the first bullet. My first reaction was "thats photoshopped." I refused to fully believe it until I saw that it was a pulitzer prize winning photographer.

Quite frankly, I think its due to the extreme language we use for anything, not just political language. We overuse such extreme comparisons like the "hottest ever," (weather and women) "worst since....," "Greatest of All Time" (while in the middle of their career), "TI rich" that even when we see something that actually is historic it doesn't rise up to the standard we've created in our mind. The media and social media has just worn us all down that we can't recognize history when it does happen.

And its not just that it was Trump and that I don't really care for him. I'm not a Trump fan. I'll vote for him in comparison to the alternative, but I've never voted for him in a primary. If it happened to Biden, I'd probably feel the same ambivalence.

I largely felt the same way about J6. My first thought was "meh. Bunch of idiots that should go to jail for breaking and entering." And went right back to working. Then we have 4 years of breathless language about "worst since the Civil War." There's nothing those idiots could have done to actually stop the voting and Biden becoming President. But the truth is, J6 was somewhere in between. It was a historic moment in the sense that the Capitol was actually breached, but it largely would have no practical effect on the governing of the country. History can be a simple point in time. It doesn't have to have ramifications for generations to be historic.

I don't really know if we're able to come back from where we are now. Not just politically but socially. We try to minimize things, but at the same time make it bigger than it was. It was a nice meal at a restaurant. I don't need to see pictures on Instagram and your description of the greatest Caesar salad you've ever had. Live the moment. It doesn't have to be ranked against every other moment in time.

Not inept at all, just not trained specifically for protectee detail and no experience doing it either. The USSS drills, I would imagine, these exact scenerios until they can do it in their sleep. That's their whole mission.

So there's going to be a drop off in situational awareness with local law enforcement. That doesn't mean they aren't effective cops.

Let this sink in, the shooter was the distance from the bottom of the hill to ~the goal post in front of the West Endzone on a roof which was essentially a raised platform. That was how close the shooter was.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. The roof was almost flat and a lot less steep than the one the snipers were on behind Trump. For that dumbass statement alone she should be terminated.

I m

yes ... the idea it was orchestrated is so ridiculous as is he for mentioning it

Really... pay a guy to shoot you and aim at your head
Let others be killed for it and find someone dumb enough to die for it
Goodness gracious people just do not think before they speak out stupid ideas
Murdaugh was just warming us up for all the possibilities.

From head of secret service: ""That building in particular has a sloped roof at its highest point. And so, you know, there's a safety factor that would be considered there that we wouldn't want to put somebody up on a sloped roof. And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside," she said. ..... Such a Poor excuse!!
That’s why you don’t have a person named Kimberly as director of the Secret Service

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT