ADVERTISEMENT

Great news today by the CDC..if you're under 50 Covid-19 less deadly than flu

Fauci still talking in circles I see.
This is the most infuriating part to me. We all made huge changes in our lives based off of his insight. He has flipped on several of the most important issues. I want us all safe and healthy but it is hard to continue to take everything serious if the expert is going to do 180s on topics. It would have been better to come out and say we are collecting data and honestly our solutions are fluid. At least we would all know.

So the numbers they are reporting as most likely (as of the end of April) are these, which still make it more deadly than flu for any age bracket, but definitely better than initial projections:

0-49 years: 0.05% (2.5 x as deadly as flu)
50-64 years: 0.2% (3.3 x as deadly as flu)
65+ years: 1.3% (1.6 x as deadly as flu)
Overall: 0.4% (4 x as deadly as flu)

For flu:
0-49 years: 0.02%
50-64 years: 0.06%
65+ years: 0.8%
Overall: 0.1%

Respectfully, these number are not accurate per the CDC estimate. What you have listed is for symptomatic cases only. In the same report, they estimate 35% of all cases are asymptomatic. When you factor this in, the mortality rate falls to:
0-49 years old = 0.0325%
50-64 years old = 0.13%
65+ = 0.845%
Overall 0.26%
Further, our nursing home population nationwide is 0.5% of our population, yet account for 33% of all deaths. If you remove those numbers the overall IFR falls to 0.17%.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

It gives scenarios. Just go with their best estimate. To fully understand you have to read the whole thing.

Also props to GA for their bold move in this great 50 State experiment.
I
Interesting numbers. Thanks for sharing.

If accurate, this would be the lowest death rate I have seen, as most estimates have been about .65% rather than .4% for symptomatic. I guess that is logical as you would expect the US to have some of the best numbers for known cases in light of our superb facilities and personnel for dealing with really bad, known illness. I have read elsewhere that on average it is believed that each fatality is losing on average 10 years of life expectancy, but I have no idea how accurate those numbers are.

If these numbers are accurate, then without a vaccine or better treatment it would seem that we should ultimately expect somewhere around 345K - 690k deaths in the USA from this (330 million x 40-80% strike rate x 65% symptomatic rate x .004% death rate) over the next couple of years if we assume all asymptomatic people and all symptomatic persons develop permanent immunity when getting it (which I suspect is too optimistic, unfortunately). From this study, without a vaccine it would seem we should expect somewhere in the range of 2.9 - 5.8 million US residents to be hospitalized from CV19 over the next couple of years (330 million x .4 -.8 strike rate x .65% symptomatic rate x .034% hospitalization rate). From this study, it appears we should expect these patients to spend several days each in the hospital.

Have any numbers been released yet of permanent injury separate from deaths to give a better picture of ultimate effects from CV19?

For me personally, I plan to work as hard as I can through September to prepare for a potential second wave this coming winter. My gut feeling is that much of our decline in cases presently is due to the shutdown and the arrival of summer. I hope I am wrong, but I plan to make hay while the sun is shining and get it in the barn.

Last edited:
The CDC article that started this thread states multiple times that these numbers are NOT predictions of future fatalities.

They are generalized planning scenarios for pandemic modeling that appear to be based solely on data collected during the month of March using data received by April 29th.

I’d love some good news about the number of people who will die as a result of the virus but the CDC pretty clearly doesn’t feel confident enough in the available data to predict an actual mortality rate.

The CDC article that started this thread states multiple times that these numbers are NOT predictions of future fatalities.

They are generalized planning scenarios for pandemic modeling that appear to be based solely on data collected during the month of March using data received by April 29th.

I’d love some good news about the number of people who will die as a result of the virus but the CDC pretty clearly doesn’t feel confident enough in the available data to predict an actual mortality rate.

Their abilities to predict leave quite a bit to be desired.

This is the most infuriating part to me. We all made huge changes in our lives based off of his insight. He has flipped on several of the most important issues. I want us all safe and healthy but it is hard to continue to take everything serious if the expert is going to do 180s on topics. It would have been better to come out and say we are collecting data and honestly our solutions are fluid. At least we would all know.
Seeing that there is no track record with this virus I still think he's doing his best to keep us informed.

When (doubt we do) we reach 200,000 deaths, ACTUAL deaths from Covid, it will equate to .006 of the US population.

Including pain and suffering from any such family deaths.......which is significant..........tell me why it was worth destroying the US economy.

Yes, I said destroy.
You 'flatten the curve' people: We will not be able to flatten the curve of what is coming down the pike.

We are looking clouds, when the Hurricane is just off the coast.
It gone be bad.

Agreed. Years from now the history books will not be kind to Trump's decision to shut down our economy for 30 days. And then he publicly chastised brave governors like Brian Kemp for reopening. Shameful.

Reactions: DFan
Seeing that there is no track record with this virus I still think he's doing his best to keep us informed.
Oh I agree. My beef is he continues to come out with absolutes only to do a 180 weeks later. Of course that's my opinion only

Agreed. Years from now the history books will not be kind to Trump's decision to shut down our economy for 30 days. And then he publicly chastised brave governors like Brian Kemp for reopening. Shameful.

Right. He should have asked, “What would Obama do and everything would have been fine.”

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
I mean this respectfully, and I understand your point of view at your age... but I don’t believe all deaths categorized as Covid-19 deaths, are all indeed due to CV19.
Washington state has admitted to classing gunshot victims as COVID. Others similar, just the tip of the iceberg. Pure stampede manipulation by the “party of ‘science’”.

looks like 1/4 to maybe 1/3 or even 1/2 of us have been exposed, in country after study after country. Looks like 35% or so are asymptomatic. Looks like the “party of science” FORCING the insertion of infected people into nursing homes in the autocratic blue states directly caused 3/4 of the deaths that we mourn.

the “experts” are scientistic, not scientific. They use stampede tactics to herd us along their narrative. Should be repulsive to all of us, but especially those of us who suffered loss of loved ones due to their insistent “expertise” and loss of health and livelihood because of their power grabs. Stampedes trample human souls, economies of the regular folks, and the Bill of Rights.

Lol

You know you lost.

The american people lost. 70K+ dead in two months. 20% unemployment. And all the while our elected leader says "i don't take responsibility at all."

Japan successfully beat this thing (very few deaths) without a shutdown. They addresses it early February and wore masks. And all the while, our elected leader still refuses to wear a mask.

The american people lost. 70K+ dead in two months. 20% unemployment. And all the while our elected leader says "i don't take responsibility at all."

Japan successfully beat this thing (very few deaths) without a shutdown. They addresses it early February and wore masks. And all the while, our elected leader still refuses to wear a mask.

That you, Fauci? Flip flopper

I’ll make a deal with you, and give you a 2nd chance to show you have even a drop of character. If Trump loses on 11/4, I’ll leave TI. If Trump wins on 11/4, you leave.

Nevermind... I’d rather have a daily reminder folks like you exist, so that I can pat myself on the back daily.

You’re great. And you still lost.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
That you, Fauci? Flip flopper

I’ll make a deal with you, and give you a 2nd chance to show you have even a drop of character. If Trump loses on 11/4, I’ll leave TI. If Trump wins on 11/4, you leave.

Nevermind... I’d rather have a daily reminder folks like you exist, so that I can pat myself on the back daily.

You’re great. And you still lost.

It s troubling that you think this is some sort of personal competition between two anonymous posters. That said, i have been right about everything. I have more character on my left nut than you pal. I’ll take your ban bet, although I doubt you will actually leave when trump loses.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
I figured someone would bring that up. Patient had life ending illness before contracting covid. I would say the "complications" leading to death should have been directed toward one their many other life threatening conditions. When a person has a life ending illness such as cancer, heart failure, ostomy feeding tube malnutrition or other serious condition..... the cause of death isn't listed as a cold since that was the last knockout blow.

Dude there are probably plenty of deaths being wrongfully attributed to COVID-19, but your example isn’t one of them. Just because someone possesses one or more comorbidities doesn’t mean coronavirus didn’t cause death.

So everyone with an underlying medical condition who has died from COVID-19 complications shouldn’t be counted as COVID-19 deaths?

The cause of death should be just that...what was the final cause that made them stop living. Are you telling me that someone in a fatal car crash that has cancer should be listed with a cause of death as cancer?

I’m on your side of this argument, but this is a terrible analogy. It’s not even remotely the same.

Number of deaths is running considerably higher this year.

In the end, the annual number of deaths (all causes......last year ~2.8M with ~2M from “natural causes”) will be the best (not perfect) indicator of the impact of this Pandemic and the response to the Pandemic. That number will balance out the loss of life from the virus (however it’s coded for “billing purposes”) minus the lives saved from the shut down (fewer MVA, seasonal flu, etc. deaths) plus the lives lost to the shutdown (increased suicides, homicides, untreated other health issues, malnutrition, drug and alcohol abuse, etc.). For each of us individually the impact is not a “percentage” but rather a binary consequence: 0/1; on/off; live/die; Tiger/gamecock. The nasty things about this biological infectious disease are the lack of data, lack of vaccine, unpredictable nature of the horrible deaths not from the virus itself but the over exuberant immune response/cytokine storm (that can attack any age group), and most significantly the fear that has griped us fostered by the 24/7 mass media. Just pray that the net number is not too great and the net social damage not too severe. GO TIGERS! Spot the ball!

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
How many died from car wrecks, suicides, cancer, heart attack etc during that time?? The numbers look startling unless put in full context.

96000/330,000,000 = .0029

#waaaaaaaayoverrated
You truly are an idiot. So, the rate is based on the total population of the US. I didn't realize all 330 million were infected.

Who said anything about ventilators? I’m not referring to the people who were on a ventilator. That’s the whole point of my argument. I’m referring to those who died with COVId, not those who died by Covid. That is where the stats are padded and extra money is made. Why don’t you talk to somebody in hospital financing about how much they get to tag somebody with Covid who died five minutes after they walked into the ER?
You're statement is hogwash:

“No additional funding” tied to deaths
But there is no financial benefit to having a death certificate state that a person’s cause of death was directly tied to COVID-19, said Dr. Leon Kelly, El Paso County’s coroner, who also has served as deputy medical director for the county’s public health department during the coronavirus crisis.
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-covid-medicare-payments-hospitals/

Washington state has admitted to classing gunshot victims as COVID. Others similar, just the tip of the iceberg. Pure stampede manipulation by the “party of ‘science’”.

looks like 1/4 to maybe 1/3 or even 1/2 of us have been exposed, in country after study after country. Looks like 35% or so are asymptomatic. Looks like the “party of science” FORCING the insertion of infected people into nursing homes in the autocratic blue states directly caused 3/4 of the deaths that we mourn.

the “experts” are scientistic, not scientific. They use stampede tactics to herd us along their narrative. Should be repulsive to all of us, but especially those of us who suffered loss of loved ones due to their insistent “expertise” and loss of health and livelihood because of their power grabs. Stampedes trample human souls, economies of the regular folks, and the Bill of Rights.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

Their abilities to predict leave quite a bit to be desired.
The CDC has, in my opinion, been appallingly ineffective and largely irrelevant in all of this. Whether that is due to their own incompetence or being muzzled and hamstrung by the administration, is the big question for me. Whichever is responsible should be hauled before the public and made to account.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Beard
It s troubling that you think this is some sort of personal competition between two anonymous posters. That said, i have been right about everything. I have more character on my left nut than you pal. I’ll take your ban bet, although I doubt you will actually leave when trump loses.

Deal.

Enjoy your last 5 months. To not harm Ard’s business, I won’t make you end your membership, we will just agree the loser no longer posts for 1 year. We’re going to see if your left nut can stay silent. You’ll probably go into hiding post 11/5, anyhow.

And there have been numerous medical professionals on record as saying they are certain that the number of Covid-19 deaths are being undercounted.
I believe you are correct in this particularly with Nursing Homes. However, there is a perverse incentive for hospitals to report a death as Covid 19 (100% Medicaid payment).
In New York City they are under reporting Nursing Home deaths because of the decision to send Covid positive people to Nursing Homes when the Hospitals were being overwhelmed. Cumo is being protected from bad press from his bad decision to send infected to Nursing Homes.
Phenomena is the "angel of death" for elderly (Covid 19 or any other virus). My father is far down the road of Dimensia and has an NDA. If he gets sick, no plasma, no drugs, no intubation - just make him comfortable. My mom already left the world that way.
My take is that the cure is at or close to the tipping point of being worse than the disease. Drug addiction, mental health, cancer screening, heart attacks, and other problems not identified by going to a doctor are going to kill more than Covid 19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

It gives scenarios. Just go with their best estimate. To fully understand you have to read the whole thing.

Also props to GA for their bold move in this great 50 State experiment.
Criticism of the CDC stats. Interesting. Looks like now even the CDC is political or at least accused of being political.

Quote from the article:

"The more I think about it, the more this bothers me.

These numbers are so far outside of the scientific consensus that this strikes me as a devious and cynical effort to manipulate not only federal modeling but the broader scientific discourse."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1263605696844623873.html

What a sh*tshow.

Deal.

Enjoy your last 5 months. To not harm Ard’s business, I won’t make you end your membership, we will just agree the loser no longer posts for 1 year. We’re going to see if your left nut can stay silent. You’ll probably go into hiding post 11/5, anyhow.

done. Trump loses you leave, Trump wins I leave. Even when your boy loses the election and refuses to leave office, you still lose the bet.

Reactions: CU91ENGR
Criticism of the CDC stats. Interesting. Looks like now even the CDC is political or at least accused of being political.

Quote from the article:

"The more I think about it, the more this bothers me.

These numbers are so far outside of the scientific consensus that this strikes me as a devious and cynical effort to manipulate not only federal modeling but the broader scientific discourse."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1263605696844623873.html

What a sh*tshow.
CDC numbers are close to what local governments studies reported from Santa Clara, LA, Miami, NYC, and others. Santa Clara study found an IFR from 0.1 -0.3
https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason...d-2-8-percent-of-hoosiers-says-new-study/?amp

Are you living under a rock? Doctors everywhere are saying the deaths are being undercounted. I could probably post 25 links of different doctors, but here's just a few. At least look at the first one to educate yourself on this some.
https://www.poynter.org/fact-checki...rcount-doctors-in-the-field-say-the-opposite/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

https://www.al.com/news/2020/04/coronavirus-deaths-may-be-undercounted-in-alabama-doctors-say.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/coronavirus-deaths-undercount.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT