ADVERTISEMENT

I will be shocked if this season goes off as planned

Orange-Addict

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
I'm a hospital physician, ER and hospitalist, and let me say I'm not an alarmist. I've been skeptical of media overhype of this virus from the beginning. And I was 100% for opening everything and ending mask mandates. BUT this delta variant has been a game changer. We are in the middle of the surge crisis we all feared 18 months. My hospital is full of Covid patients. Our ER and every major ER in our area is on diversion. There are NO open ICU beds in the 7 hospital MUSC system that I work in. It is a crisis across the state. I'm afraid it is only a matter of time until the government feels they need to do something. I hate it and really want life to go on but it's hard to see them not doing anything.

Does it seem like more of the hospitalizations are from vaxxed or non-vaxxed? Or maybe no trend one way or the other?

Reactions: JamesERustle
Unfortunately you could be right. The CDC came out (tv interview today) and admitted the vaccine efficacy is really tailing off. Only a matter of time before booster shots will be mandated.

Does it seem like more of the hospitalizations are from vaxxed or non-vaxxed? Or maybe no trend one way or the other?
It’s non-vaxxed and it’s not even close. The ratio skews more to non vaxxed the further up the chain you go as well. Hospital-ICU-vent.

Hopefully delta is the fast mover it was in India and that by mid/late September we are past it.

vaccines are still working very well against severe infection on the whole.

Its non-vaxxed. Hospitalizations of vaxxed patients is hovering around .004%. Positive cases of vaxxed individuals is a hair under 1% of the vaxxed population.

Get vaccinated and get the booster when it becomes available.

The majority are unvaccinated. The couple of vaccinated ones I've had that failed were Johnson and Johnson. We've had several that got one shot of the others but not both. But my hospital is small so this is a limited sample size.

Unfortunately you could be right. The CDC came out (tv interview today) and admitted the vaccine efficacy is really tailing off. Only a matter of time before booster shots will be mandated.
Since mandated is such a bad word these days, I will just interject that boosters will be recommended. Looks like I will be able to get mine in early December based on the guidance being issued. Just in time for the CFP.

Hospital system where I am a doc posts daily updates. Today’s update

86% of positive are unvaccinated
95% of positive ICU cases are unvaccinated
Average patient age is 60
50% ventilator usage
105 ICU beds occupied, 9 available

The current graph showing occupied beds, staffed and Covid 19 positives is at about 80% of the our January 11 peak

Its non-vaxxed. Hospitalizations of vaxxed patients is hovering around .004%. Positive cases of vaxxed individuals is a hair under 1% of the vaxxed population.

Get vaccinated and get the booster when it becomes available.
This. Please get vaccinated people. Safe effective way to help you. No need for people to get horribly sick if they don't have to.

Well if you look at how this surge happened last year and how it started out west and swept across the country it's not that hard 2 figure out..This is going 2 happen every year from year from here on out..This virus was manipulated 2 specifically infect humans and it's doing exactly what those viruses do..We need 2 be just as focused on treatments instead of this the vaccine is the only way mentality

50% ventilator usage

The current graph showing occupied beds, staffed and Covid 19 positives is at about 80% of the our January 11 peak
What area of the state are you in?

50% ventilator usage

That’s good information to have. Wish they would also report:
- Smoker/nonsmoker
- have pre-existing conditions
- if overweight

I believe a lot of people on both sides of the aisle could see more eye to eye if this was released.

50% ventilator usage

Still hitting the elderly the most it seems, I thought I read previously the younger crowd was impacted far greater with the delta variant than before.

Also, is there any % of the 86% positive-unvaccinated that had Covid prior to being admitted?

Reactions: Essolover4
I'm a hospital physician, ER and hospitalist, and let me say I'm not an alarmist. I've been skeptical of media overhype of this virus from the beginning. And I was 100% for opening everything and ending mask mandates. BUT this delta variant has been a game changer. We are in the middle of the surge crisis we all feared 18 months. My hospital is full of Covid patients. Our ER and every major ER in our area is on diversion. There are NO open ICU beds in the 7 hospital MUSC system that I work in. It is a crisis across the state. I'm afraid it is only a matter of time until the government feels they need to do something. I hate it and really want life to go on but it's hard to see them not doing anything.
But isn’t this just about more people getting vaccinated? As long as the team is vaccinated, what would prevent the season from going on as planned?

At what point do we accept that Covid is not going to disappear and we move on with normal life ? The vaccine is supposed to prevent you from getting Covid or, at the very least, minimize the symptoms. And anyone can get access to the vaccine, for free, on little to no notice. If they choose not to vaccinate, then it is what it is. If we’re going to do this shutdown stuff again now then it looks like we are just gonna have to do it for years to come, because I don’t see how it’s just gonna go away.

At what point do we accept that Covid is not going to disappear and we move on with normal life ? The vaccine is supposed to prevent you from getting Covid or, at the very least, minimize the symptoms. And anyone can get access to the vaccine, for free, on little to no notice. If they choose not to vaccinate, then it is what it is. If we’re going to do this shutdown stuff again now then it looks like we are just gonna have to do it for years to come, because I don’t see how it’s just gonna go away.
That strategy was working fine pre Delta. It’s just way more infectious and clogging up hospitals at the moment.

Reactions: cyclotiger
Unfortunately normal may mean that you our your loved ones may not be able to receive the health care they might need

Significant shortages of hospital/ICU beds for MI, CVA, etc etc. is currently a very real problem for a lot of hospital systems.
I get it.

If I made the rules, any non-vaxxed would draw the short straw on hospital care if capacity is reached. I would treat everyone else first (regardless of ailment), and only if there is capacity would I then take non-vaxxed.

But that is just me.

I love all of this vaxxed / unvaxxed discussion…you know how I know the system is flawed and politicized?? No one (OK, maybe one out of 10000000) asks or inquires about antibodies, natural immunity, etc…it’s almost like we don’t care about your chances of ACTUALLY contracting the virus (or for many of us, contracting it again) or suffering severe consequences…if you don’t get a vaccine, I mean a vaccine and monthly booster shots, and shots that aren’t FDA approved, is proven to be less and less effective by the day, and proven to display at least a potential of consequence, you are doomed and the impetus of stupidity…don’t question the system, let’s just bucket everyone in the same two categories

For most level 1 trauma centers and tertiary care facilities, operating intensive care units at 80 percent to 90 percent capacity is standard — even before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Right now the hospitals in Charleston are at 77% which is BELOW normal level capacity before COVID.

That number isn’t reported in the email blasts
As someone who has multiple family members in the medical field, especially the hospitals, thank you and all other healthcare professionals for your service.

In growing conversations I’m hearing is aggravation from all the facts not getting out to people. If most people that are non-vaxxed knew they are in the pool (smokers/obese/preexisting issues, age) more likely to get Covid, I believe they would take it.

I love all of this vaxxed / unvaxxed discussion…you know how I know the system is flawed and politicized?? No one (OK, maybe one out of 10000000) asks or inquires about antibodies, natural immunity, etc…it’s almost like we don’t care about your chances of ACTUALLY contracting the virus (or for many of us, contracting it again) or suffering severe consequences…if you don’t get a vaccine, I mean a vaccine and monthly booster shots, and shots that aren’t FDA approved, is proven to be less and less effective by the day, and proven to display at least a potential of consequence, you are doomed and the impetus of stupidity…don’t question the system, let’s just bucket everyone in the same two categories
No. You should question. You should be comfortable with whatever information you choose to believe. Then you should make your choice, Then you should live with the consequence of that choice.

And this is 100% true for both sides, equally.

For most level 1 trauma centers and tertiary care facilities, operating intensive care units at 80 percent to 90 percent capacity is standard — even before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Right now the hospitals in Charleston are at 77% which is BELOW normal level capacity before COVID.

I am not a doctor but I do a major event for MUSC Children's hospital and I will tell you that the people in charge of the Children's hospital are in panic mode with the rising number of kids that have covid in their hospital.

This isnt true. Efficacy of the vaccines is still quite high. Again, breakthrough cases of the vaccinated population is a hair under 1%. Hospitalization of the vaccinated population is .004%. Death of the vaccinated population is .0007%.

Get vaccinated and get the booster when available, period. The statement of "... monthly boosters" is hyperbole. Full FDA approval is expected before the end of September.

I agree with the statement that "Covid is here to stay". Its something we will need to contend with from here on out, BUT treatments will improve and eventually natural immunity will come along with over the counter medications. We, collectively, just need to bridge the gap and the vaccines are the best way to do that.

The precautions that are being implemented are just to prevent further spread BUT more importantly are being implemented to not break our heathcare system. Soooooooo that when someone gets into a car accident and needs medical services they arent left dying in a hospital hallway.

Last edited:
All I can speak for is MUSC in the Charleston area but they are not at 77%. Our system had no ICU beds open this morning.

I’m curious what the treatment is if you have to be hospitalized? I tested positive back in February but only had mild symptoms. If I get it again, what will they do for me if it gets worse if I go to the hospital? Just put me on a ventilator or are there other treatments now?

Reactions: Hammerhead04
It’s very hard to quantify the immunity of those who have had COVID and aren’t vaccinated. Is it durable or not? Evidence points to durability for most but clearly not all. Is that durability permanent or 1 year…2 year etc.
I get into more of the nuance when actually talking with people.
I recommend those who’ve had COVID get at least one mRNA booster if they know they had a strong response to COVID. Definitely 2 shot mRNA if minimal antibody response or very mild course.

As someone who has multiple family members in the medical field, especially the hospitals, thank you and all other healthcare professionals for your service.

In growing conversations I’m hearing is aggravation from all the facts not getting out to people. If most people that are non-vaxxed knew they are in the pool (smokers/obese/preexisting issues, age) more likely to get Covid, I believe they would take it.

I agree. I made a very long post in a thread yesterday with similar ideas. The thread was moved to the round table (not because of my post). The communication from the guiding powers has been horrendous. It has been a message of blame and shame as opposed to education

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT