ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Department dropping Flynn’s Trump-Russia case

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
https://apnews.com/ae1ad252bb13490db2ceffc5d17b6d92

Lets reflect on this after over 3 years of total BS and lies. More bombshells on the way. Libs get ready to have your world rocked this summer.

Justice Department dropping Flynn’s Trump-Russia case
By MICHAEL BALSAMO and ERIC TUCKER19 minutes ago
800.jpeg

1 of 6
FILE - In this Sept. 10, 2019 file photo, Michael Flynn, President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, leaves the federal court following a status conference in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

WASHINGTON (AP) — In an abrupt about-face, the Justice Department on Thursday said it is dropping the criminal case against President Donald Trump’s first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, abandoning a prosecution that became a rallying cry for the president and his supporters in attacking the FBI’s Trump-Russia investigation.

The action was a stunning reversal for one of the signature cases brought by special counsel Robert Mueller. It comes even though prosecutors for the past three years have maintained that Flynn lied to the FBI in a January 2017 interview about his conversations with the Russian ambassador.

Flynn admitted as much, pleading guilty before later asking to withdraw the plea, and he became a key cooperator for Mueller as the special counsel investigated ties between Russia and Trump’s 2016 political campaign.

Thursday’s action was swiftly embraced by Trump, who has relentlessly tweeted about the “outrageous” case and last week pronounced Flynn “exonerated,” and it is likely to energize supporters of the president who have taken up the retired Army lieutenant general as a cause.

But it will also add to Democratic complaints that Attorney General William Barr is excessively loyal to the president, and could be a distraction for a Justice Department that has sought to focus on crimes arising from the coronavirus.

“Attorney General Barr’s politicization of justice knows no bounds,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. She accused Barr’s department of “dropping the case to continue to cover up for the president.”

Shortly before the filing was submitted, Brandon Van Grack, a Mueller team member and veteran prosecutor on the case, withdrew from the prosecution, a possible sign of disagreement with the decision.

After the Flynn announcement, Trump declared that his former aide had been “an innocent man” all along. He accused Obama administration officials of targeting Flynn and said, “I hope that a big price is going to be paid.” Going further, he said of the effort to investigate Flynn: “It’s treason. It’s treason.”

In court documents filed Thursday, the Justice Department said that after reviewing newly disclosed information and other materials, it agreed with Flynn’s lawyers that his interview with the FBI should never have taken place because his contacts with the Russian ambassador were “entirely appropriate.”

The U.S. attorney reviewing the Flynn case, Jeff Jensen, formally recommended dropping it to Barr last week, the course of action publicly recommended by Trump, who appointed Barr to head the Justice Department.

Barr has increasingly challenged the federal Trump-Russia investigation, saying in an interview last month that it was started “without any basis.” In February, he overruled a decision by prosecutors in the case of Roger Stone, a longtime Trump friend and adviser, in favor of a more lenient recommended sentence.

Jensen said in a statement that he “briefed Attorney General Barr on my findings, advised him on these conclusions, and he agreed.”

The department’s action comes amid an internal review into the handling of the case and an aggressive effort by Flynn’s lawyers to challenge the basis for the prosecution. The lawyers cited newly disclosed FBI emails and notes last week to allege that Flynn was improperly trapped into lying when agents interviewed him days after Trump’s inauguration.

None of the documents appeared to undercut the central allegation that Flynn had misled the FBI.

In recent months, Flynn’s attorneys have leveled allegations about the FBI’s actions and asked to withdraw his guilty plea. A judge has rejected most of the claims and not ruled on others, including the bid to revoke the plea.

Earlier this year, Barr appointed Jensen, the top federal prosecutor in St. Louis, to investigate the handling of Flynn’s case.

As part of that process, the Justice Department gave Flynn’s attorneys internal FBI correspondence, including one handwritten note from a senior FBI official that mapped out internal deliberations about the purpose of the Flynn interview: “What’s our goal? Truth/admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?”

Other documents show the FBI had been prepared before its interview to drop its investigation into whether he was acting at the direction of Russia. Later that month, though, as the White House insisted that Flynn hadn’t discussed sanctions with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, FBI officials grew increasingly concerned by Flynn’s conversations with the diplomat and kept the investigation open to question him about that. Two agents visited him at the White House on Jan. 24, 2017.

But Thursday’s filing, signed by U.S. Attorney Tim Shea, says the FBI had no basis to continue investigating Flynn after failing to find illegality. It says there was nothing on his Russia calls “to indicate an inappropriate relationship between Mr. Flynn and a foreign power.”

The department also contends Flynn’s answers during the interview were equivocal and indirect, rather than false, and weren’t relevant to the underlying investigation into whether the Trump campaign and Russia were illegally coordinating.

The memo also cites what it describes as uncertainty within the FBI over whether Flynn had lied, noting that the agents who interviewed him reported that he had a “very ‘sure’ demeanor” and that then-FBI Director James Comey had said it was a “close” call.

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lambasted the new action. He said the FBI was obligated to interview Flynn “to better understand why he was talking to Russian officials.” Flynn’s lies, McCabe said, “added to our concerns about his relationship with the Russian government.”

Flynn was among the first people charged in Mueller’s investigation, pleading guilty in December 2017 to lying about conversations with Kislyak in which he encouraged Russia not to escalate tensions with the U.S. over sanctions imposed by the Obama administration for election interference.

He provided such extensive cooperation that prosecutors said he was entitled to probation instead of prison.

However, his sentencing hearing was abruptly cut short after Flynn, facing a stern rebuke from U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, asked to continue cooperating and earn credit toward a more lenient sentence.

He later hired new attorneys, including conservative commentator Sidney Powell, who took a far more adversarial stance, accusing prosecutors of withholding documents and evidence favorable to the case.

Reactions: 24TIGER
we know that obama and biden both knew.

its just a matter of time before they are linked thru a paper or digital trail.

those documents are being with held. but with the corruption in the flynn case, im sure those documents will be released to the public officially.

we know that obama and biden both knew.

its just a matter of time before they are linked thru a paper or digital trail.

those documents are being with held. but with the corruption in the flynn case, im sure those documents will be released to the public officially.

Some information may be held back because Durham will use it in currently undisclosed prosecutions to come.

Some information may be held back because Durham will use it in currently undisclosed prosecutions to come.

adam schiff should be removed from the capitol by the us marshall's service.

placed into custody for obstruction of justice.

or at least removed from the chair. you would think.

all those involved including hillary should pay back the cost of the mueller investigation

Libs didn’t cover their tracks and got exposed. Same pieces of shit that orchestrated these fake investigations are still being protected by the media. The transcripts are out media. Ask the damn questions.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
Libs didn’t cover their tracks and got exposed. Same pieces of shit that orchestrated these fake investigations are still being protected by the media. The transcripts are out media. Ask the damn questions.

aint gonna happen

there should be many news media members that should be held accountable for lying.

lets these liars burn in hell

aint gonna happen

there should be many news media members that should be held accountable for lying.

lets these liars burn in hell

So let me get this straight... You think liars should burn in Hell... and yet you are a Trump supporter? Really? Trump lies damn near every time he opens his mouth and I've never heard you say a word about it... But of course... Trumpians don't think that Trump has to follow any rules right?

Reactions: IMBlessed
So let me get this straight... You think liars should burn in Hell... and yet you are a Trump supporter? Really? Trump lies damn near every time he opens his mouth and I've never heard you say a word about it... But of course... Trumpians don't think that Trump has to follow any rules right?

what was trumps last lie?

or give me the last 5?

they anywhere close to covering up an attempted coup?

is there a difference to you in these people caught lying-

trump
obama
biden
comey
clapper
schiff
pelosi
mccabe
strauz
page
flynn
stone
manafort
aoc
hillary

all these people have lied to us.

what was trumps last lie?

or give me the last 5?

they anywhere close to covering up an attempted coup?

is there a difference to you in these people caught lying-

trump
obama
biden
comey
clapper
schiff
pelosi
mccabe
strauz
page
flynn
stone
manafort
aoc
hillary

all these people have lied to us.

Here you go.. they run weekly. Oddly enough associated press actually keeps track of lies and misinformation by US Presidents. Almost as though they were supposed to some sort of watchdog on the government and the executive branch...

https://apnews.com/837fa9a762a1fe5b0b7e629d8191a3e0

I also find your defense of Trump interesting. You obviously think he's a fine guy and the greatest US President since Lincoln (and is treated worse... even though Lincoln was actually shot and killed). Yet when confronted about his constant lying you compare him to Hillary and Obama (people you don't like). If you think Trump is better... shouldn't he be BETTER that the people you compare him too... not worse. BTW... the above link is is just this last week... I got another 10K or so Trump lies if you need them. It's really kind of strange... Trump can't seem to help himself... I get lying about stuff that you've screwed up on or makes you look bad, but he even lies about stuff he doesn't need to lie about.

Here's my personal favorate (non Russian) lie.

“Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!” Donald Trump.

Here you go.. they run weekly. Oddly enough associated press actually keeps track of lies and misinformation by US Presidents. Almost as though they were supposed to some sort of watchdog on the government and the executive branch...

I also find your defense of Trump interesting. You obviously think he's a fine guy and the greatest US President since Lincoln (and is treated worse... even though Lincoln was actually shot and killed). Yet when confronted about his constant lying you compare him to Hillary and Obama (people you don't like). If you think Trump is better... shouldn't he be BETTER that the people you compare him too... not worse. BTW... the above link is is just this last week... I got another 10K or so Trump lies if you need them. It's really kind of strange... Trump can't seem to help himself... I get lying about stuff that you've screwed up on or makes you look bad, but he even lies about stuff he doesn't need to lie about.

“Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!” Donald Trump.

your personal favorite is to to cover up a 2016 united states presidential election.

his personality sucks. he lies some.

the people he hired to run the govt i agree with policy wise.

hillary clinton, joe biden, adam schiff, james comey

their personalities suck. they lie too.

and the ringer....

i totally disagree with 90% of any idea about running a business or govt.

so i vote for trump.

what pisses alot of trumpians off is some of you guys think that those in the govt not named trump you support lie too. they are no more moral or ethical than trump.

quit trying to make us feel that our other options are are better humans.

they are not.

i dont get it.

mccabe walked.

his wife who worked for hillary hasnt been touched.

equal justice.

they will all walk when said and done

and the taxpayer will be held with the bill.

that doesnt piss you off schiff lied along with all those who made a public spectacle.

good money spent?

they should pay what mueller report cost back.

thur april 13th 2017 article

luke harding, stephanie kirchgaessner, and nick hopkins

the guardian

british spies were first to spot trump team's link with russia

your personal favorite is to to cover up a 2016 united states presidential election.

his personality sucks. he lies some.

the people he hired to run the govt i agree with policy wise.

hillary clinton, joe biden, adam schiff, james comey

their personalities suck. they lie too.

and the ringer....

i totally disagree with 90% of any idea about running a business or govt.

so i vote for trump.

what pisses alot of trumpians off is some of you guys think that those in the govt not named trump you support lie too. they are no more moral or ethical than trump.

quit trying to make us feel that our other options are are better humans.

they are not.

i dont get it.

Can you please get an Applacha to English dictionary and translate that from gibberish into English for me. I don't understand half of these phrases.

barack obama just lied.

do you approve of his statements?

chuck todd lied on meet the press sunday.

are you mad?

Better. Now, let's take the next step. Can you (while still typing English and not Applacha) be specific? What exactly did they say that you feel is a lie? Can you prove that it's a lie? Show a link or something to what they said and then provide credible evidence that what they said was deliberately misleading.

For example, when I reference the N Korea is no longer a nuclear threat statement, I provided the quote from Trump. But I DIDN'T provide the "proof" that that was a lie. Strange right? Not really. It's pretty much "common knowledge" that N Korea was a nuclear threat to the US. We even have an alert system (and some false alarms) specifically for them. So unless something has changed... (like N Korea disarming or signing a peace treaty with us), we can assume status quo.

So an example for you, if Obama said that Trump was a sweet 230lb love machine as his physical says. I'd accept that as a lie w/o "proof" b/c I can clearly see that a 6'2'' man carrying that much extra weight weighs more like 260 MINIMUM.

obama stated that there has never been a case where the defendant was set up using illegal tactics by federal investigators thrown out of court.

he also said the flynn case was a "perjury" case.

obama stated that there has never been a case where the defendant was set up using illegal tactics by federal investigators thrown out of court.

he also said the flynn case was a "perjury" case.

Doing better again. I understand what you are saying completely and believe me man... going back to some of your posts, that's IMPROVEMENT.

Here's the constructive critisism...

No links or anything showing that Obama said this. I'll even take some normally questionable sources b/c direct quotes are usually accurate. If you can show me the quote, I'm going to straight up say that Obama lied... end of story. I don't need the "proof" b/c I don't believe that there's never been a case where the defendant was set up by the feds thrown out of court. That common sense/common knowledge thing works both ways.

I believe that Flynn pled guilty to lying to the FBI. Is that not a "perjury" case? If this is not the case, then post links here showing me that it IS NOT a perjury case.

Doing better again. I understand what you are saying completely and believe me man... going back to some of your posts, that's IMPROVEMENT.

Here's the constructive critisism...

No links or anything showing that Obama said this. I'll even take some normally questionable sources b/c direct quotes are usually accurate. If you can show me the quote, I'm going to straight up say that Obama lied... end of story. I don't need the "proof" b/c I don't believe that there's never been a case where the defendant was set up by the feds thrown out of court. That common sense/common knowledge thing works both ways.

I believe that Flynn pled guilty to lying to the FBI. Is that not a "perjury" case? If this is not the case, then post links here showing me that it IS NOT a perjury case.

Perjury is the act of lying while under oath in a courtroom, so Flynn was not charged with perjury.

from the senate floor

under oath

well respected

Ohhh... you've lost lost it man... TIme to get back on track. Stay focused. You said that Obama was quoted as saying that "there has never been a case where the defendant was set up using illegal tactics by federal investigators thrown out of court". Show me that quote. You made it a statement and told us all that Obama said just that. You must have either a) Gotten that information from some source (if so show me). b) Made it up (if so take your medicine like a man... or alternatively like the President by blaming others and trying to distract from the issue, you know one of the two. Anyway, I admit to only simming through the video you provided. I never saw Obama's face on it, although I suppose I could have missed it. So I'm not accepting some Senator's 3rd hand information.

You never addressed the perjury issue... In this case lying to Federal Officials (not technically perjury, but pretty close).

You were doing so well... come back to the light.

ole app having himself a nice melty all by himself in here

nah... I think he's trying to be clearer in this post at least. Honestly, I can't understand the random phrases he posts at least half the time. I've often thought that these posts are actual transcripts of Sean Hannity talking after getting really drunk and falling asleep with a mouth full of popcorn...

michael flynn had a meeting with a russian counterpart which was under his job description per his white house assignment.

that meeting was recorded, of which the fbi had.

james comey sent 2 fbi agents over to the white house to interview general flynn with the topic being the meeting of which they have the recording of.

and they failed to follow procedures to conduct that interview.

apparently, either flynn or his russian counterpart wanting to to talk about the sanctions president trump was threatening on russia.

anyhoo, flynn told the agents the opposite of what he had happened in the meeting.

so they called him a liar and threw him in jail.

big to do about nothing.

we really need these responsible to pay back the taxpayers for wasting money.

mueller attorneys should all return the 5 million or so tbey got for investigating a bogus crime.

they knew the whole time that this was a cover up of a fukk up by

the obama administration

the hillary 2016 campaign committee

and

the democratic national committee.

we may really need to suspend the elections until we can be sure that a coup attempt does not happen again.

trump or not

where are you guys ethics and morals.

im ashamed of many republicans who hated trump so much

that they were scared to speak up.

not a paul revere among the silent republicans.

kick them out of office too.

michael flynn had a meeting with a russian counterpart which was under his job description per his white house assignment.

that meeting was recorded, of which the fbi had.

james comey sent 2 fbi agents over to the white house to interview general flynn with the topic being the meeting of which they have the recording of.

and they failed to follow procedures to conduct that interview.

apparently, either flynn or his russian counterpart wanting to to talk about the sanctions president trump was threatening on russia.

anyhoo, flynn told the agents the opposite of what he had happened in the meeting.

so they called him a liar and threw him in jail.

big to do about nothing.

we really need these responsible to pay back the taxpayers for wasting money.

mueller attorneys should all return the 5 million or so tbey got for investigating a bogus crime.

they knew the whole time that this was a cover up of a fukk up by

the obama administration

the hillary 2016 campaign committee

and

the democratic national committee.

we may really need to suspend the elections until we can be sure that a coup attempt does not happen again.

trump or not

where are you guys ethics and morals.

im ashamed of many republicans who hated trump so much

that they were scared to speak up.

not a paul revere among the silent republicans.

kick them out of office too.

Sigh... It's all gone I guess... You had a BRIEF lucid period, but the above is pure Appalacha gibberish (I can barely follow it). Still waiting on your Obama quote to back up what you said. All this stuff on Flynn... were you there? If not, show us your sources for all that gibberish above (unless you are just making it up). Let me remind you that Flynn pleaded guilty to a crime. Not one person has been convicted of doing anything improper with Flynn (yet). So all that stuff you are stating as fact is just speculation.

And just FYI, I'm not sure that you know what a coup actually is. Most people would consider it an unlawful overthrow of the government. All the theories on this so called "coup" require the use of the 25th amendment to convince Trump's staff (including Mike Pence) that Trump is unstable. That's not unlawful. In fact it's following the actual constitutional requirements for removing an unfit President... that's the very definition of lawful. Now IF someone had used false information in those meeting, that would be breaking the law... but it still wouldn't be a coup. Ditto for the impeachment process. If the Senate had enough Republicans vote to remove Trump from office... that would not be a coup. Because that's the other lawful way of removing an unfit President.

For example an actual coup would be if the joint chiefs of staff arrested Trump and Pence for crimes against the US and forced Roberts to swear Pelose in as President (3rd in line)... THAT would be a coup, since the Joint Chiefs have no power of arrest and no legal way to remove a sitting president.

Last edited:
Sigh... It's all gone I guess... You had a BRIEF lucid period, but the above is pure Appalacha gibberish (I can barely follow it). Still waiting on your Obama quote to back up what you said. All this stuff on Flynn... were you there? If not, show us your sources for all that gibberish above (unless you are just making it up). Let me remind you that Flynn pleaded guilty to a crime. Not one person has been convicted of doing anything improper with Flynn (yet). So all that stuff you are stating as fact is just speculation.

And just FYI, I'm not sure that you know what a coup actually is. Most people would consider it an unlawful overthrow of the government. All the theories on this so called "coup" require the use of the 25th amendment to convince Trump's staff (including Mike Pence) that Trump is unstable. That's not unlawful. In fact it's following the actual constitutional requirements for removing an unfit President... that's the very definition of lawful. Now IF someone had used false information in those meeting, that would be breaking the law... but it still wouldn't be a coup. Ditto for the impeachment process. If the Senate had enough Republicans vote to remove Trump from office... that would not be a coup. Because that's the other lawful way of removing an unfit President.

For example an actual coup would be if the joint chiefs of staff arrested Trump and Pence for crimes against the US and forced Roberts to swear Pelose in as President (3rd in line)... THAT would be a coup, since the Joint Chiefs have no power of arrest and no legal way to remove a sitting president.

A soft coup, sometimes referred to as a silent coup, is a coup d'état without the use of violence, but based on a conspiracy or plot that has as its objective the taking of state power by partially or wholly illegal means, in order to facilitate an exchange of political leadership - and in some cases also of the current institutional order.[1][2]

A soft coup, sometimes referred to as a silent coup, is a coup d'état without the use of violence, but based on a conspiracy or plot that has as its objective the taking of state power by partially or wholly illegal means, in order to facilitate an exchange of political leadership - and in some cases also of the current institutional order.[1][2]

EXACTLY.. And the plan was to show some stuff to the people in charge (Trump's Cabnet ) and get them to vote him out as unfit. It's up to the President's Cabnet to determine if there's cause to remove the President. That's not an illegal method of removing a President... it's part of the constitution.

Just like impeaching the President. You can argue that the HOR did or did not have cause to impeach the President. But they CAN impeach the President. It's in the constitution. They have the right to do that if they have the votes. To say it's a coup is inaccurate, because there is nothing illegal going on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT