ADVERTISEMENT

North Korea

What makes some of you think North Korea won't de-nuclearize? Trump put a stranglehold on them...& unlike previous administrations that would give them some type of aid just to shut them up every time they started with their nuclear rectoric, Trump did not waver. Now they have no choice. It got them to the table with South Korea & now it will bring them to the table with us....& we have not giving up a thing to get it.

This, coming on the heels of the complete destruction of ISIS... It's amazing how much of a non-story that is with most media outlets...

And we have re-strengthened our ties with Israel... & I believe there is a direct correlation there with all of our "winning"

trump could throw feces at another country's leader in the middle of a meeting and his base would claim it to be further proof of his negotiating tact.

you MAGA people are seriously mentally unwell.

Well, that's pretty much been Trump's tactic with Kim. Nothing else over the previous 50 years has worked. I give MAGA credit when I see MAGA actually happening, which is something some won't do, regardless.

81mnR2R3lQL._UX522.jpg

Reactions: ElCapitanoWest
Few Things:
  • If Trump were to get the Korean Peninsula to a nuke-free zone that would be a huge, huge win.
  • The actual % chance of North Korea giving up nukes is very, very low.
  • Without nukes, North Korea is a nothing in the world. Nukes mean EVERYTHING to them.
  • North Korea will promise the moon, comply for a limited time and actually end up delivering virtually nothing. That is their history.
  • Most likely outcome is meeting will either lead to peace or war. Really not a lot of in-betweens available here.

Yeah, I don't know about that. The in-between is what we've been doing for 60 years. That seems much more likely to continue than real peace while the NK regime still exists, or actual war while China backs NK and NK has nukes they can actually use.

Reactions: clemsonpaw00
This is very true, but do you think for a moment NK is going to de-nuke??? Not a chance.

Agreed, it's probably a ploy. My big hope is that things are so bad in NK right now that Jong is feeling heat from within his own regime. And that could be the case- that last soldier who recently defected to the South had intestinal worms that come from fertilizing crops with human waste. We all know that NK spends every last dime on its military but apparently can't even feed them properly.

What makes some of you think North Korea won't de-nuclearize? Trump put a stranglehold on them...& unlike previous administrations that would give them some type of aid just to shut them up every time they started with their nuclear rectoric, Trump did not waver. Now they have no choice. It got them to the table with South Korea & now it will bring them to the table with us....& we have not giving up a thing to get it.

This, coming on the heels of the complete destruction of ISIS... It's amazing how much of a non-story that is with most media outlets...

And we have re-strengthened our ties with Israel... & I believe there is a direct correlation there with all of our "winning"
I would say it's more like a gut punch and neutralization of ISIS at the moment. Unfortunately, they'll never be completely destroyed. It is a belief system, a culture, a movement that we have knocked the wheels off for the time being. They're like fire ants. You think you have them killed, but that red mound just rebuilds or relocates elsewhere.

No, of course not.
Reagan destroyed Communism in the Eastern Bloc of Europe, much to the dismay of liberals in this country, freeing millions of people and DRASTICALLY reducing the nuclear threat, and he didn't win it. Neither will Trump.
If you're not a flaming liberal, you're not winning any kind of Nobel prize, reguardless.

It's funny how history repeats itself.
I still remember Reagan standing in front of the Berlin Wall, saying, "Mr. Krushchev, tear down this wall!"
The liberal press went BONKERS!! Reagan was going to incite a nuclear war, the end of the world was coming, how could he do something so STUPID.
But the wall came down.
Eastern Europe was freed.

And at liberal universities in the northeast, brainwashed liberal students were SO UPSET they were raising money to try to restore Communism.

How do people get so screwed up?
Yet we've been seeing it since Trump became president. The liberal media said the same things.
Same result.
They never learn.
They've been wrong about Trump at ever turn. And he's been right.
Good post. It was Gorbachev, not Khrushchev. Soviet nevertheless.

Well, that's pretty much been Trump's tactic with Kim. Nothing else over the previous 50 years has worked. I give MAGA credit when I see MAGA actually happening, which is something some won't do, regardless.

How is this "MAGA" happening? Unless we actually get what we want, a US president just meeting face to face with a Kim-tard is a win for them.

Good post. It was Gorbachev, not Khrushchev. Soviet nevertheless.

Yes, everybody was sure Reagan was going to bring on a nuclear apocalypse because of his anti-communism. However, the players are very different this time around. Kim is no Gorbachev (and Gorbachev was no Kruschev ;)).

Reactions: 24TIGER
How is this "MAGA" happening? Unless we actually get what we want, a US president just meeting face to face with a Kim-tard is a win for them.

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that anything MAGA has occurred in this situation. Just replying to the other poster's generalization of "MAGA people". I personally don't have high hopes for this meeting at all. I just know that Trump won't do what's been done for the past 50 years. He won't get "played" by this idiot and appease him in any way. It'll be Trump's way or the highway. I will say that Trump seems to have Kim over a barrel. It will all depend on how the Chinese react. As a previous poster said, don't discount the fact that Trump just put the whammy on China's steel to some extent and now, out of the blue, Kim is wanting to meet.

Seriously, so much winning is going on right now. It’s actually kind of scary.

This is one the biggest problems with Trump and his minions (including the GOP). You like to take victory laps when there is a lot of time left on the clock. Just like the healthcare bill keg party that they threw, celebrating any type of victory at this point is premature. This would be like Brownell saying after yesterday's win how proud he is for his team winning the ACC tourney.

Reactions: iceheart08
Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that anything MAGA has occurred in this situation. Just replying to the other poster's generalization of "MAGA people". I personally don't have high hopes for this meeting at all. I just know that Trump won't do what's been done for the past 50 years. He won't get "played" by this idiot and appease him in any way. It'll be Trump's way or the highway. I will say that Trump seems to have Kim over a barrel. It will all depend on how the Chinese react. As a previous poster said, don't discount the fact that Trump just put the whammy on China's steel to some extent and now, out of the blue, Kim is wanting to meet.

I guess what I don't understand is why anybody thinks this is true. Kim can just as equally say that the reason we're willing to meet with him face to face is that he (Kim) has us "over a barrel." I think what some people are scoffing at is this confidence that Trump is some kind of superhuman negotiator who will get what we want when others who were much more seasoned diplomats and much less unpredictable weren't able to do it.

lol. no, he didn't. it's amazing how full of shit you are on every subject.

from politifact:
In terms of quantity, China accounts for just over 2 percent of U.S. steel imports, according to 2017 data. That’s far behind traditional U.S. allies like Canada (roughly 18 percent), the European Union (about 21 percent) and South Korea (nearly 10 percent).

Expressed another way, the United States imported 740,126 tons of steel from China last year, compared to nearly 5.7 million tons from Canada and just over 5 million tons from European Union countries.

and from CNBC:
But one market that won't be moved much, if at all: Chinese steel.

"A number of Chinese steel mills, transporters, and traders have actually given up on the U.S. market as an export destination," said Shanghai-based Linda Lin, editor of the China Steel Service at consulting firm CRU.

The U.S. is the world's largest steel importer, relying on shipments from more than one hundred countries and territories. Details regarding the tariffs were not presented, and it's unclear if certain trade partners will receive preferential treatment. During the meeting, though, Trump did single out China.

For the Chinese steel manufacturers, however, the news was inconsequential. Although China is the world's largest steel exporter, it is only the 11th-largest source country to the U.S., accounting for just 2 percent of total U.S. imports last year.

This is true. If Obama had agreed to meet with Kim the same people on here praising Trump would have bashed the heck out of Obama. ("He is placating dictators and making us look weak!") Politics is a team sport.

I'm shamelessly stealing from reddit/twitter here but:

Reddit Thread

To be clear -- we need to talk to North Korea. But Kim is not inviting Trump so that he can surrender North Korea's weapons. Kim is inviting Trump to demonstrate that his investment in nuclear and missile capabilities has forced the United States to treat him as an equal.

And Kim Jung Un Is a Survivor, Not a Mad Man

North Korea’s system might look bizarre to us from the outside, but the Kims are the ultimate political survivors, hard-edged rationalists whose actions have always had a clear purpose: keeping the family in power. Seeing them as madmen is not only wrong, but also dangerous; any successful policy should be based on understanding the logic of the opposite side, not on discarding it as “irrational” Seeing the Kim family as lunatics with nukes makes them more threatening, and raises the risk of war, but it can also promote unrealistic expectations of compromise — if only the North “comes to its senses.”

Back in the 1980s the Kim family was laughed at even inside the Eastern Bloc as an embodiment of Stalinist irrationality. They were mocked for clinging to their outdated personality cult and failed economics and it was suggested that they should follow the dynamic leaders of Eastern Europe, like the reformist communist leader Karoly Grosz of Hungary. Today, these leaders are in the waste bin of history — overthrown, disgraced, and forgotten — while the Kim family still enjoys not only power, but the luxury that goes with it and remains in full control of their country.

Kim Jong Un sees the nuclear program as purely defensive. Conquering the South would be nice in theory, but this task is completely beyond his reach, both due to the U.S. commitment to protecting South Korea and Seoul’s own huge advantage in economic and technological power. He knows that any unprovoked North Korean attack against South Korea or the United States will end badly, perhaps in his death, and he is certainly not suicidal. However, he also presumes that no great power would risk attacking a nuclear state or sticking a hand into its internal strife — especially if it has delivery systems and a second-strike capability.

And so North Korean leaders are determined to stick to their nuclear development, and see nuclear weapons as the major guarantee of their security. There is no form of pressure that can convince them to budge on this, no promise that will seduce them into compliance; they believe that without nuclear weapons they are as good as dead. That’s a disaster for the region, but a perfectly logical choice by the Kim family.

While North Korea’s nuclear program is defensive, it still makes sense to remind the world about its existence and use what President Richard Nixon once described as “madman strategy,” that is, to appear to one’s opponents to be irrational, volatile, and willing to disregard costs. That’s why North Korean propaganda uses such fiercely colorful language. When North Korean TV promises to “make Seoul into a sea of fire,” or threatens to nuke Canberra, or shows Kim Jong Un in front of a map of the United States with cities marked as targets of nuclear strikes, they are delivering the same message: “we are here, we are volatile, and will stop at nothing if our opponents do something threatening.”

Without their own nuclear weapons, the Kims would fear a direct U.S. attack — but they also fear American, or Chinese, interference into an internal Korean uprising. They saw what happened in Libya when foreign powers introduced a no-fly zone and ensured the insurgents’ victory. They remember that back in 1956 China, together with Russia, supported a failed conspiracy aimed at removing Kim Il Sung, the current supreme leader’s grandfather, from power.

Kim’s other ostensibly irrational policies should also be seen as defensive in nature. Nuclear weapons, after all, are not sufficient to protect the regime. They may prevent international aggression, for example, but they don’t remove the considerable danger of a domestic military coup.

Will Kim Jong Un’s policy, rational if sometimes brutal, eventually succeed in keeping the regime stable in the long run? Most of his policies are inherently risky; the nuclear arms race can provoke U.S. preemptive strikes, the harsh treatment of generals might make them more, not less, inclined to start a conspiracy, and the economic reforms can unleash social forces beyond Kim’s control. But risky is not irrational. So far these policies have worked and, given the situation North Korean leaders find themselves in, any alternative would be even riskier. These polices might even work, which would mean the world will have to live with the Kim family regime for a long time to come. The clan has always known how to survive, and they might keep doing so.

What does it mean for the rest of us? Firstly, it is time to realize that there’s no quick solution at hand. North Korea’s denuclearization is impossible, but it is possible to manage the nuclear program and put some cap on its further development, provided the Kim family still feels it has the deterrent value it needs. (Of course, North Koreans will expect generous concessions for any freeze, and might not stick to it even then).

This is one the biggest problems with Trump and his minions (including the GOP). You like to take victory laps when there is a lot of time left on the clock. Just like the healthcare bill keg party that they threw, celebrating any type of victory at this point is premature. This would be like Brownell saying after yesterday's win how proud he is for his team winning the ACC tourney.

You will only be able to ignore The Great Communicator and his success for so long my friend. Come on over already.

This is true. If Obama had agreed to meet with Kim the same people on here praising Trump would have bashed the heck out of Obama. ("He is placating dictators and making us look weak!") Politics is a team sport.
You're right...cause we all know Obama didn't have any balls & probably would've given NK anything they wanted with nothing in return. .

See Iran "Deal"...

Looks like Kim Jung wants to meet with Trump to discuss the possibility of denuclearization and has basically agreed to halting their nuke testing at the moment. Not sure I trust NK of their word, but we can all agree the possibility is still awesome none the less.

I have no idea how seriously to take this move by NK, but it beats the hell out of what they could be doing.

It's going to be funny when they don't give Trump the Nobel Peace Prize for denuclearizing North Korea after they gave it to Obama for just going on a world apology tour like a giant puss

Never did figure out why Obama got the prize, but if Trump pulls this off and doesn't win it that will just show how political the whole thing is.

Trump will never win that award

No he won't sadly.

I say sadly because it is obvious that even if the man brought peace in the middle east, cured cancer, and save a dozen babies from a hospital fire personally, he would never even be considered. Even if he has done 10x more than Obama ever did when he won it.

If this plays out, they'll give the award to Kim, not Trump.

Honestly, probably correct.

I think Kim Jung is smoozing up to Trump because he wants to see if the Donald can introduce him to Stormy Daniels!

Hey, you play with the cards you're dealt. If adding a Pyongyang stop on her latest tour gets "Best Korea" to back down with the nukes, so be it.

Maybe they'll keep her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Florida Tiger
Yeah, I don't know about that. The in-between is what we've been doing for 60 years. That seems much more likely to continue than real peace while the NK regime still exists, or actual war while China backs NK and NK has nukes they can actually use.

I'm wondering if the steel and aluminum tariffs play into this. Perhaps Trump is using that as a bargaining chip to try to get China to reduce their support of NK a little bit.

He did say that the tariff rates were "open for negotiation."

Reactions: orangelvis

from politifact:
In terms of quantity, China accounts for just over 2 percent of U.S. steel imports, according to 2017 data. That’s far behind traditional U.S. allies like Canada (roughly 18 percent), the European Union (about 21 percent) and South Korea (nearly 10 percent).

Expressed another way, the United States imported 740,126 tons of steel from China last year, compared to nearly 5.7 million tons from Canada and just over 5 million tons from European Union countries.

and from CNBC:

"A number of Chinese steel mills, transporters, and traders have actually given up on the U.S. market as an export destination," said Shanghai-based Linda Lin, editor of the China Steel Service at consulting firm CRU.

The U.S. is the world's largest steel importer, relying on shipments from more than one hundred countries and territories. Details regarding the tariffs were not presented, and it's unclear if certain trade partners will receive preferential treatment. During the meeting, though, Trump did single out China.

For the Chinese steel manufacturers, however, the news was inconsequential. Although China is the world's largest steel exporter, it is only the 11th-largest source country to the U.S., accounting for just 2 percent of total U.S. imports last year.

...and you need to research some sources other than the hate Trump media. China dumps steel into the world market at below market prices. I don't have time to into squabbles with a green horn like you. Just keep reading all of your left wing only bs news.

from politifact:

and from CNBC:

Why is everyone focused on steel? Oh, because the blowhards in the mainstream media are focused on it. Everyone wants to talk about US imports and not Chinese exports. The US accounts for 14% of Chinese aluminum exports. 14% is no joke, especially with exports increasing by 25% over the first two months of 2018. The steel tariff is just flexing, but the aluminum tariff is a threat. If China doesn’t cooperate, Trump could ask how a 15% tariff sounds...20%? 30?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-down-as-trump-prepares-tariffs-idUSKCN1GK0TC

...and you need to research some sources other than the hate Trump media. China dumps steel into the world market at below market prices. I don't have time to into squabbles with a green horn like you. Just keep reading all of your left wing only bs news.

lol it's politifact and CNBC, you rube. not like i pulled from slate and mother jones. and they based their findings off hard data. you will literally shill for anything this buffoon does.

Yeah, because the Hillary minions never celebrated her victory on election day WAY before that night was over.

lol it's politifact and CNBC, you rube. not like i pulled from slate and mother jones. and they based their findings off hard data. you will literally shill for anything this buffoon does.

...and you obviously haven't read everything I've written in this thread. You will literally shrill at anything you don't understand. Try to gain and understanding of what flooding the world market with subsidized, below market priced steel actually means. Then come back and try to act like an adult and have a civil conversation.

...and you obviously haven't read everything I've written in this thread. You will literally shrill at anything you don't understand. Try to gain and understanding of what flooding the world market with subsidized, below market priced steel actually means. Then come back and try to act like an adult and have a civil conversation.

the guy who supports trump telling me this. just too rich.

This meeting will be similar to when Emperor Hirohito met Douglas MacArthur

"I come to you, President Trump, to offer myself to the judgement of the powers you represent as the one to bear sole responsibility for every political and military decision made and action taken by my people in the conduct of war."

the guy who supports trump telling me this. just too rich.

Well, unfortunately for you, Trump won the election fair and square; based on the promises he made to the voters. Up until now, he has followed through with many of those promises and is working on accomplishing the rest. I understand that this triggers you. He is unbelievably accomplishing his goals, whether you agree with his goals or not. I did not vote for Trump in the state primary. I did vote for him in the general. What is your story?

Yes, but you also would've been lauding Obama's move.

Your right. The historical outlook for all negotiations with this lunatic or his dad, has been been ridiculous. I don't have high hopes for this one either, but Trump is the man for this meeting. He is a street smart negotiator and will not puss out to this idiot. In fact, you could say that Trump has already won the game of "chicken" with this guy. In the past, we have appeased these guys, then come back tooting our horn; as if we have saved the world, only to look like fools within a year or two. People can hate Trump all they want; for any number of reasons but the guy will not be played and he's nobody's fool.

You are right, historically, meeting with the Communist murderers of N.K. has been a waste of time.
But all the previous presidents have tried to play nice, make a nice deal, give them something (financial, etc.)
Trump is a totally different animal.
He's brutal, in your face, and takes no prisoners.

Appeasing tyrants and bullies NEVER works. I found that out in the school yards as a kid.
You warn them. Once.
Then you bloody their nose the next time they dare step over the line.
Bullies, like most criminals, want to take advantage of someone. That's why removing guns doesn't work.
KJL is a bully. You have to put the fear of God into him.
Appeasement didn't work with the Nazis. It won't work with radical Muslims. And it won't work with NK.

Yes, but you also would've been lauding Obama's move.

Not really. I would have said the same thing I am saying here. We don’t know what the outcome will be yet. Of course I have a brain and can think for myself, unlike many others on this board.

I hope Trump succeeds in disarming NK’s nuclear capabilities. It would be good for the United States, good for South Korea, good for Japan.

Historically, I’m not optimistic. NK’s nuclear capabilities are the only thing that makes them relevant on the world stage. When Iraq and Libya ceased pursuing a nuclear program, they had regime change. When Ukraine gave up their weapons, they were invaded. I dont see Kin Jong-un sacrificing his only bargaining chip.

I'm wondering if the steel and aluminum tariffs play into this.
I think it does somewhat. The South Korean national security official who brought Kim Jong Un’s invitation to meet Trump also asked for an exemption for South Korea on the new steel tariff, and Mattis said they "will proactively consider" the request. SK is the third largest importer of steel into the US behind Canada and Brazil.

Well, unfortunately for you, Trump won the election fair and square; based on the promises he made to the voters. Up until now, he has followed through with many of those promises and is working on accomplishing the rest. I understand that this triggers you. He is unbelievably accomplishing his goals, whether you agree with his goals or not. I did not vote for Trump in the state primary. I did vote for him in the general. What is your story?

where did i dispute the election results? countries have throughout history voted horrible people into office and will continue to do so. i was naive to think america was above it, that's for sure.

would love to know these vast "goals" that trump has accomplished. so far the only tangible thing he's done is a tax bill that is likely to look horrible in 5-10 years, if not sooner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT