ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon Drug Policy

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
State of Oregon wisely backing off the policy that failed miserably. They still have a lot more work to do.

I would support taking otherwise sane but drug addicted homeless people living on the streets in the big cities to work/rehab camps out in the country and leaving them there until they are out of addiction. This should also coincide with a harsh crackdown on letting people live on the streets and giving them free stuff that enables them to be there in a supported fashion.

BREAKING - KEY LIBERAL POLICY FAILS: A key liberal policy has just failed in Oregon amid massive drug addiction, and just moments ago, the Legislature approved a bill to re-criminalize certain drug possession, just a few years after Oregon became the first state in the United States to decriminalize the possession and personal use of all drugs in 2020.

NOTE: Although Measure 110 passed with 55.8% of the vote in 2020, it took effect in February 2021. Since then, drug addiction has skyrocketed, and now most people are saying enough is enough.

Let me summarize again

1. Oregon lawmakers have passed HB4002, reclassifying possession of certain drugs as misdemeanors.

2. This marks a reversal of the previous statewide decriminalization policy, indicating concerns over its effectiveness.

3. Despite prior emphasis on addiction assistance and health services, the shift suggests a perceived failure of the previous approach.

4. The bipartisan-supported measure awaits Governor Tina Kotek's decision, reflecting ongoing debate over drug policy in the state.

State of Oregon wisely backing off the policy that failed miserably. They still have a lot more work to do.

I would support taking otherwise sane but drug addicted homeless people living on the streets in the big cities to work/rehab camps out in the country and leaving them there until they are out of addiction. This should also coincide with a harsh crackdown on letting people live on the streets and giving them free stuff that enables them to be there in a supported fashion.

BREAKING - KEY LIBERAL POLICY FAILS: A key liberal policy has just failed in Oregon amid massive drug addiction, and just moments ago, the Legislature approved a bill to re-criminalize certain drug possession, just a few years after Oregon became the first state in the United States to decriminalize the possession and personal use of all drugs in 2020.

NOTE: Although Measure 110 passed with 55.8% of the vote in 2020, it took effect in February 2021. Since then, drug addiction has skyrocketed, and now most people are saying enough is enough.

Let me summarize again

1. Oregon lawmakers have passed HB4002, reclassifying possession of certain drugs as misdemeanors.

2. This marks a reversal of the previous statewide decriminalization policy, indicating concerns over its effectiveness.

3. Despite prior emphasis on addiction assistance and health services, the shift suggests a perceived failure of the previous approach.

4. The bipartisan-supported measure awaits Governor Tina Kotek's decision, reflecting ongoing debate over drug policy in the state.
Sooo a legislature identified a problem, came up with an idea to fix it, voters passed it, now they realize its not working so they’re adjusting their course of action.

Let me summarize again

1. A government trying to fix a problem
2. The strategy isn’t working as they hoped
3. Government tries to come up with 2nd idea to fix problem

and we are…upset about this?

Sooo a legislature identified a problem, came up with an idea to fix it, voters passed it, now they realize its not working so they’re adjusting their course of action.

Let me summarize again

No. I'm happy that Oregon is doing this.

Let me summarize again

So they had a liberal policy
And now they have a more conservative policy

This seems inconsistent with your view that the govt should stay out of people’s lives. Essentially kidnapping, relocating, and holding a citizen against their will?
I do not think so. The vast majority of the US has had long standing laws on drugs. Furthermore the homeless drug addled people are destroying the cities along with the Soros DA's of course.

I do not think so. The vast majority of the US has had long standing laws on drugs. Furthermore the homeless drug addled people are destroying the cities along with the Soros DA's of course.
Translation: I want the government deeply embedded into my life if it’s something g I agree with.

I partly agree with you. But I don’t think it has anything to do with the DAs. I believe the bigger issue is fentanyl. Like crack in the 80s, fentanyl is destroying communities. And since we import so much from china, it is fairly easy for them to sneak it in through our ports.

The local high school, which is one of the top private high schools in the country, is experiencing rapid growth in fentanyl addiction since it is being added to cocaine and other drugs.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I partly agree with you. But I don’t think it has anything to do with the DAs. I believe the bigger issue is fentanyl. Like crack in the 80s, fentanyl is destroying communities. And since we import so much from china, it is fairly easy for them to sneak it in through our ports.

The local high school, which is one of the top private high schools in the country, is experiencing rapid growth in fentanyl addiction since it is being added to cocaine and other drugs.
No easy solutions for sure. I would give serious thought to supporting a Singapore style drug policy meaning death sentences handed out and carried out in short order. That would fix it. While we are at it let's put the military on the border to stop the drugs.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Translation: I want the government deeply embedded into my life if it’s something g I agree with.

Eh not so much. I don’t do drugs so the government won’t be embedded in my life in any way due to drug policy. But I do expect the government to keep crackheads away from me and my family. Can’t imagine raising children in a place with free and open hard drug use and all of the shit that comes with it.

Reactions: Clemson Goat

Let me summarize again

I would think people are ok with it. Like you said, tried something new. Did not work. Trying something else.

No easy solutions for sure. I would give serious thought to supporting a Singapore style drug policy meaning death sentences handed out and carried out in short order. That would fix it. While we are at it let's put the military on the border to stop the drugs.
What about those who get addicted to a prescription drug, which is a huge segment of drug addicts?

Let me summarize again

I don’t think anyone is upset. This feels more like a “well no shit” moment. Of course legalizing free and open hard drug use is a stupid idea.

Reactions: Clemson Goat
I don’t think anyone is upset. This feels more like a “well no shit” moment. Of course legalizing free and open hard drug use is a stupid idea.
Yeah but these drug dealers and abusers are criminals and addicts who don’t care about the law. They’re going to find a way to use no matter what, so why should we even try making any laws against drugs? Feels like they’re punishing the majority of drug users, who are able to use responsibly and in moderation. A clear attack on freedom.

Drugs don’t kill people, people kill people. Maybe if more good people were able to access drugs, they could stop criminals from accessing them. The only thing that can stop a bad guy with heroin is a good guy with heroin.

Yeah but these drug dealers and abusers are criminals and addicts who don’t care about the law. They’re going to find a way to use no matter what, so why should we even try making any laws against drugs? Feels like they’re punishing the majority of drug users, who are able to use responsibly and in moderation. A clear attack on freedom.

Drugs don’t kill people, people kill people. Maybe if more good people were able to access drugs, they could stop criminals from accessing them. The only thing that can stop a bad guy with heroin is a good guy with heroin.
Not to mention that a huge portion of these folks got addicted because they were given “pain management” medication.

It’s not like anyone chooses to become an addict.

Not to mention that a huge portion of these folks got addicted because they were given “pain management” medication.

It’s not like anyone chooses to become an addict.

His post was a lame attempt to mimic gun talking points on the right.

But your point is valid. Pharma should be held much more accountable than they have been. Pain mgt docs as well.

Our entire healthcare system is wired to pop pills first, not address foundational health issues. In many cases, pain mgt should begin with diet, exercise, achieving a healthy weight and reducing inflammation. That solves a lot. But you can’t make money doing that.

Anyways, I agree with you here. But it’s also glaringly obvious that legalizing free and open use of hard drugs will also accelerate addiction.

His post was a lame attempt to mimic gun talking points on the right.

But your point is valid. Pharma should be held much more accountable than they have been. Pain mgt docs as well.

Our entire healthcare system is wired to pop pills first, not address foundational health issues. In many cases, pain mgt should begin with diet, exercise, achieving a healthy weight and reducing inflammation. That solves a lot. But you can’t make money doing that.

Anyways, I agree with you here. But it’s also glaringly obvious that legalizing free and open use of hard drugs will also accelerate addiction.
I don’t really have a problem with trying it out. Everything else in the war on drugs has been a failure.

Most also seem to think that drug use causes homelessness, but it’s actually the other way around so housing policy needs to change. We should make it much easier to build density and strip away power from nimbys.

Let me summarize again

The gov't doesn't fix problems. They create them for their political gain. Then, they take more of OUR money to fix the problem they created in the first place.

So, let me ask you this. Let's say, this Oregon policy HAD worked 100% (anyone with a brain knew it wouldn't), and was a smashing success. What happens to all those gov't employees they employed to do that job (jobs they created to oversee this)? They did a great job, but their services are no longer needed.

THEY have no intentions on fixing problems. To do so, would cost them jobs in their district/state, cost them money from "kick-backs" from those jobs, and most importantly VOTES at the ballot box.

The common tax paying citizen has no place in this country. We pay the bills, but have very little/no representation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT