ADVERTISEMENT

OT - New Lockdowns/curfews/restrictions

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2018
Mount Lohtse
Since I’m stuck in DC and surrounded by nut jobs, I’ll rant a bit here, where most of you seem somewhat reasonable in comparison.

I’ll preface this by saying I am a physician, though not an expert on this virus. Also, I’m sorry for anyone that has been directly affected by the disease. Please do not make this post personal. It is meant to be a macroscopic view on the topic. Also, please don’t make replies overly political, though politicians in general are much to blame for this situation.

That said, I can’t believe there are more lockdowns coming. Didn’t we learn anything from the previous ones? They will kill our livelihoods but not the virus.

I’m not usually a conspiracy theorist but this is either a terrible joke, or an experiment in social control.

First, we were told the lockdowns would end the virus. That was a lie. Then we were told they would slow it. That was true but the cost of the lockdowns was never elucidated to the public. We still don’t know the extent of the damage done by the previous rounds. Economic hardship, mental anguish, substance abuse, child mal-development, etc have skyrocketed, but nobody is telling us how much.

The most non-refutable excuse they stuck with for previous lockdowns was to protect the frontline workers. Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission rate when wearing it is incredibly low. And more importantly, frontline workers and our most vulnerable populations will imminently be vaccinated with what appears to be an extremely effective vaccine.

So what reason is there for the current lockdowns happening around the country. Will they even let us travel to see loved ones for the holidays? I can’t imagine the hardship caused if this trend continues.

Be glad most of you live in SC, where sensibility has largely prevailed, and “shockingly” without a major change in the trajectory in the virus. I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
If the lockdowns didn't work the first time, why the hell are they doing it again? And the "almighty" WHO recently came out and said they were more harmful than good -- duh.

Guess Gov. Meatball in New York and Hair Gel in California don't care or are too stupid to know better

We still don’t know the extent of the damage done by the previous rounds. Economic hardship, mental anguish, substance abuse, child mal-development, etc have skyrocketed, but nobody is telling us how much.

To illustrate your point, new lung cancer diagnoses are down 23% as compared to 2019 and previous years. Cancer didn't go away due to COVID. We are just missing early detection opportunities because of folks being told to stay away or prevented from going out.

Since I’m stuck in DC and surrounded by nut jobs, I’ll rant a bit here, where most of you seem somewhat reasonable in comparison.

I’ll preface this by saying I am a physician, though not an expert on this virus. Also, I’m sorry for anyone that has been directly affected by the disease. Please do not make this post personal. It is meant to be a macroscopic view on the topic. Also, please don’t make replies overly political, though politicians in general are much to blame for this situation.

That said, I can’t believe there are more lockdowns coming. Didn’t we learn anything from the previous ones? They will kill our livelihoods but not the virus.

I’m not usually a conspiracy theorist but this is either a terrible joke, or an experiment in social control.

First, we were told the lockdowns would end the virus. That was a lie. Then we were told they would slow it. That was true but the cost of the lockdowns was never elucidated to the public. We still don’t know the extent of the damage done by the previous rounds. Economic hardship, mental anguish, substance abuse, child mal-development, etc have skyrocketed, but nobody is telling us how much.

The most non-refutable excuse they stuck with for previous lockdowns was to protect the frontline workers. Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission late when wearing it is incredibly low. And more importantly, frontline workers and our most vulnerable populations will imminently be vaccinated with what appears to be an extremely effective vaccine.

So what reason is there for the current lockdowns happening around the country. Will they even let us travel to see loved ones for the holidays? I can’t imagine the hardship caused if this trend continues.

Be glad most of you live in SC, where sensibility has largely prevailed, and “shockingly” without a major change in the trajectory in the virus. I hope it stays that way.
No one said it would end the virus. Hospitals are at or nearing max capacity. That’s the issue aside from 300k deaths. Where I live, people having heart attacks have had to go find new hospitals

The most non-refutable excuse they stuck with for previous lockdowns was to protect the frontline workers. Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission late when wearing it is incredibly low. And more importantly, frontline workers and our most vulnerable populations will imminently be vaccinated with what appears to be an extremely effective vaccine.

I'm pretty sure it is each state Governor's decision, and it is 100% based on hospital occupancy. It seems reasonable to me that Governors will use shutdowns to feather hospital capacity. SC is close to 80% occupancy. I believe that private practice doctors (volunteer) have not been activated in hospitals yet in SC, but it is likely to happen later this month as the trend continues.

FYI: https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-bed-capacity-covid-19

I'm pretty sure it is each state Governor's decision, and it is 100% based on hospital occupancy. It seems reasonable to me that Governors will use shutdowns to feather hospital capacity. SC is close to 80% occupancy. I believe that private practice doctors (volunteer) have not been activated in hospitals yet in SC, but it is likely to happen later this month as the trend continues.

FYI: https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-bed-capacity-covid-19

I have worked in many hospitals, and they are almost always at full capacity. This is nothing new

So you actually call what happened earlier a real lockdown? 🤔
A true lockdown is what happened in countries like New Zealand and others where they are now reporting no cases.
I am going to hate to see this country during a real mandatory lockdown then.

Reactions: tigerfan #1
New Zealand is a small island that has had completely closed borders for 8 months. That is impossible for our country. They cannot be used for comparison.
Thank you for your OP.
Logical and needful thinking.

on this response you replied to......hahaha
Hell, you tried.

Kinda reminds me of that old saying:
"Don't argue with a fool, as he will drag you down to his level; then beat you with experience."

The most non-refutable excuse they stuck with for previous lockdowns was to protect the frontline workers. Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission rate when wearing it is incredibly low. And more importantly, frontline workers and our most vulnerable populations will imminently be vaccinated with what appears to be an extremely effective vaccine.

Lockdowns are what they do in China, where if you leave your residence you're quickly moving rocks across a prison yard with chains around your feet for the foreseeable future. That style of lockdown can be effective.

Lockdowns such as what we have seen implemented in the US is like being half pregnant. You can't pick and choose business, times, situations, etc. COVID is not that smart. Our measures are sporadic, inconsistent and generally not accepted by a free society. So yeah, it's turned into a social experiment.

I have worked in many hospitals, and they are almost always at full capacity. This is nothing new

I'll never understand how people can't understand this.

At the end of the day, hospitals aren't built to operate well under capacity. I'm not a doctor but plenty of close friends and family members are and hospital ICU's & ED's are not aiming to remain at 50% capacity. 75+% capacity is very normal.

I disagree with a LOT of this. I don't recall anyone saying that the 1st lockdown was going to end the pandemic. I recall the the 1st lockdown was about "flattening the curve". IE slowing the virus down enough that the people needing hospitalization would not exceed the ability of the healthcare system to care for them.

I'm thinking that this is the reason for the 2nd round of lockdowns we are seeing as well. Hospitals are at or near full around the nation. You can only tighten up so much on the social restrictions (especially when a substantial minority ... Trump followers mostly are openly denying it's even real) before you have to take drastic measures.

You are correct in that socially distancing is causing some harm around the country and you are also right in that no one knows how much. Yet you don't seem to have a problem using that unknown value to justify not locking down.

I'm also not not sure what the heck you are talking about with "Will they even let us travel to see loved ones for the holidays?" I'm assuming that you consider Thanksgiving one of the "holidays". Was there a single airport closed? I'm not aware of it if so. Were there roadblocks placed so that you couldn't drive anywhere? I know that experts asked people not to travel, but I'm unaware of any restrictions on national travel.

This is the most important line from your post....

Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission rate when wearing it is incredibly low.

If everyone would just wear masks, we would not be talking about lockdowns at all.

I disagree with a LOT of this. I don't recall anyone saying that the 1st lockdown was going to end the pandemic. I recall the the 1st lockdown was about "flattening the curve". IE slowing the virus down enough that the people needing hospitalization would not exceed the ability of the healthcare system to care for them.

I'm thinking that this is the reason for the 2nd round of lockdowns we are seeing as well. Hospitals are at or near full around the nation. You can only tighten up so much on the social restrictions (especially when a substantial minority ... Trump followers mostly are openly denying it's even real) before you have to take drastic measures.

You are correct in that socially distancing is causing some harm around the country and you are also right in that no one knows how much. Yet you don't seem to have a problem using that unknown value to justify not locking down.

I'm also not not sure what the heck you are talking about with "Will they even let us travel to see loved ones for the holidays?" I'm assuming that you consider Thanksgiving one of the "holidays". Was there a single airport closed? I'm not aware of it if so. Were there roadblocks placed so that you couldn't drive anywhere? I know that experts asked people not to travel, but I'm unaware of any restrictions on national travel.

don’t you remember the “30 days to stop the spread” campaign?

I’m not talking about social distancing. I’m talking about forcibly closing businesses and restricting people’s freedoms

the travel restriction has not occurred again but is the next step. Don’t you remember that it happened just 6 months ago?? Maybe not in SC but in many other places like DC

Also, congrats on being the first to mention Trump here, though I asked that this thread avoid specifics about politics

Physician here. Agree.

There are hotspots of stress to hospitals to be sure. Most hospitals are fine so far. To my knowledge, no extra emergency temporary hospital is in use anywhere- several were set up back in the spring, not used, and then take down.

Some epidemiologists at Stanford and Oxford agree with the OP largely. Economic lockdowns per se have never been used for a pandemic. Avoiding large gatherings and unnecessary gatherings and travel and social distancing and masks as much as possible will help mitigate. But shutdowns or lockdowns that bust the economy and so many lives is not a good idea.

Lockdowns are likely killing several people(many children) for each one life lost to COVID-19(mostly elderly). Every death at any age is tragic-but for context. Many problems here. But starvation will likely double worldwide due to reduced and shutdown economic activity and loss. Perhaps 100 million lives lost and many children. Supply line, supply chains, donations, altered farming, etc worldwide is a problem. I have seen a UN estimate that there will be 100 lives lost worldwide for each 1 life saved by COVID-19 mitigation efforts.

The governors won't discuss that aspect on top of the local misery and loss.

Those workers have an amazing supply of PPE now and the transmission rate when wearing it is incredibly low.

If everyone would just wear masks, we would not be talking about lockdowns at all.
I think one of the sadder parts is how we have freaked out people from going to the doctor for their annual exams and such. According to JAMA, cancer referrals have dropped about 75%. Pretty wild stuff... at what benefit?

What? Read a few posts down and see a physician saying that masks mitigate the spread. If you are just going to contribute "LOL" as a response, maybe you should not participate in adult discussions.

Reactions: dpic73
I think one of the sadder parts is how we have freaked out people from going to the doctor for their annual exams and such. According to JAMA, cancer referrals have dropped about 75%. Pretty wild stuff... at what benefit?

Honestly if everyone would just wear masks and be somewhat responsible, everything would be fine. Do the things you have to do and don't do the things that you don't have to do.

Everyone in my family has been to doctors, dentists, haircuts, etc in the last six months. I have one kid in full time school and one in full time day care. I go to the office. We DON'T go to indoor restaurants or go to indoor parties that we are invited to.

Edit: to be fair I have eaten in a few restaurants and flown, but those were business trips and dinners that I felt I needed to do.

Reactions: cyclotiger
No one said it would end the virus. Hospitals are at or nearing max capacity. That’s the issue aside from 300k deaths. Where I live, people having heart attacks have had to go find new hospitals
Overall deaths in the us are down this year. I’ve had it my wife has had it and my admin assistant has had it. Not near as bad as the flu.

Reactions: jhallen and tigerrb

I’m not talking about social distancing. I’m talking about forcibly closing businesses and restricting people’s freedoms

the travel restriction has not occurred again but is the next step. Don’t you remember that it happened just 6 months ago?? Maybe not in SC but in many other places like DC

Also, congrats on being the first to mention Trump here, though I asked that this thread avoid specifics about politics
Give it up. You are arguing with a liberal who thinks they are smarter than you (even though you are the doctor) and it is their job to save us from ourselves by restricting our options.

A liberal post always includes words such as "I think" and "I recall" but by the end of the rant, those words are treated as facts that you are stupid if you don't agree with.

95% of the people I see at the grocery, work, restaurants, stores, etc are wearing masks. I know that if thats happening in SC its probably happening up north also. People are wearing masks, clearly there's more to it than just mask virtue signaling

What? Read a few posts down and see a physician saying that masks mitigate the spread. If you are just going to contribute "LOL" as a response, maybe you should not participate in adult discussions.

I wear a mask as does my family, but you will NEVER get everyone to wear a mask. It won’t happen. If we do another lockdown, the masks will become a moot point. There won’t be an economy worth saving. Cant wait to hear Joe’s grand ideas.

Honestly if everyone would just wear masks and be somewhat responsible, everything would be fine. Do the things you have to do and don't do the things that you don't have to do.

Everyone in my family has been to doctors, dentists, haircuts, etc in the last six months. I have one kid in full time school and one in full time day care. I go to the office. We DON'T go to indoor restaurants or go to indoor parties that we are invited to.

Edit: to be fair I have eaten in a few restaurants and flown, but those were business trips and dinners that I felt I needed to do.
I live in "crazy South Carolina" and I can't tell you the last time I have seen someone NOT wear a mask out in public places. Where do you see people not wearing them?

I'm just not sure the effectiveness of masks, although I wear one out of courtesy.

So just to clarify, you are against the closing of restaurants/gyms/businesses in general as long as people wear masks?

Also a physician and I agree with everything you’ve said. Thanks for speaking rationally.

I’m a psychiatrist and the lock downs/isolation/financial strain from all this has been devastating to people’s mental health. I don’t even know how to fathom the toll this will take in other areas of medicine when we realize how many diagnoses have been missed bc patients are told to stay home.

I live in "crazy South Carolina" and I can't tell you the last time I have seen someone NOT wear a mask out in public places. Where do you see people not wearing them?

I'm just not sure the effectiveness of masks, although I wear one out of courtesy.
I’m neither “mask shaming” nor “virtue signaling,” but in Greenville County mask usage is all over the place. And I swear it varies by the day. I’ve still yet to figure out the reason that we’re so far ahead in cases, though. It doesn’t seem terribly different than when I visit Horry County, which I do monthly.

Reactions: yoshi121374

You answered your own question, any addl lock down is for the Govt to control the people.

Unfortunately, this will be the new norm when every virus/flu, etc hits this Country.

See people all over Anderson not wearing them. Grocery stores, Fast Food places, Lowes and Walmart to name a few places

Overall deaths in the us are down this year. I’ve had it my wife has had it and my admin assistant has had it. Not near as bad as the flu.
It’s killed and hospitalized waaaaay more than the flu. By a multiple of 10 regarding deaths.

Mask usage (and mandated usage) is at its highest rate ever, and so is the infection rate. Masks give folks a false sense of security. Folks are trying to live their normal lives and putting on a face cloth. Sorry, but copperfit isn't a medical grade filter and neither is that company selling masks made last years bathing suites because of easy breathability.

The mask studies are deeply flawed because they use medical grade PPE and usage in contained environments with trained people. Its not based on normal utilization by the general population. Its a false extrapolation. Tobacco companies did the same type of studies and it cost them billions in lawsuits. Masks don't hurt, but they aren't a reason to go Christmas shopping in crowded malls. If you are around people, you are at risk.

Mask may help but they don't stop the spread. For the most part, people are getting this from people they are close tto. Remember "within 6 feet for 15 mins." Folks aren't get this from Publix, Walmart or Lowes. They are getting it from socializing at bar, work, church, parties etc.

BLUF: Life is risky. Get busy living or get busy dying. You take your chances and He tells you when your time is up.

Side Note: My eldery and feeble Mother in Law passed away about 8 days ago (Sat). Best we can tell, she fell in the bathroom in the early hours of the morning the previous Thursday. She hit her head and never regained conscience. Doc's first assessment: COVID. She had no symptoms and tested negative. I'll be interested to see the death certificate.

Reactions: adgjunior

You are seeing people wearing masks in stores where they are requested to do so. And even there, a lot of people still don't do it. (and even more wear it on their chin or below their nose)

Don't assume that is happening everywhere. Bars are packed all over this country with people not wearing masks. House parties are happening all over the country without masks.

Reactions: DividedPi
Please do not make this post personal. It is meant to be a macroscopic view on the topic. Also, please don’t make replies overly political
well-man-what.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT