ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC state superintendent for school

People will vote party lines and have no clue, I agree. Should just be names on the ballot.
Just to add about voting party line.....up until Reagon election in 1980, majority of voters voted split tickets, voting for person not party. Since 1980 it trended to the majority voting for party. You can argue that it's about their platforms, but realistically most people can only parrot the propaganda of a party and have no real understanding of an issue. Now it's like I just need to join a team....us against them. Doesn't matter the issues and truth, just as long as I can be part of the group. Almost like joining a gang.....

Mind was blown that one candidate, Weaver, has never been in the classroom for teaching, administration, instructional but wants to be superintendent. Also just didn’t completed her masters in 6 months because it’s a requirement to be eligible to be superintendent of schools. Just nuts the people that will probably vote on a party line. Please check this out before next week regardless of party affiliation. Our state, SC, for most of us, is way behind in education in all facets.

look into Ellis vs weaver in this running. Just fyi I vote along a lot of red lines but not this time.
I'm very worried about the immediate future of public education in South Carolina. I know a lot of teachers, and I don't know a single one who didn't adamantly support Lisa Ellis.

I'm very worried about the immediate future of public education in South Carolina. I know a lot of teachers, and I don't know a single one who didn't adamantly support Lisa Ellis.
I usually vote red but couldn’t on this one. You should go look into weavers statement last night about her position and her job title ahead. Kind of a weird statement

"My message to teachers across South Carolina is that I hear your voice and I will listen to you,"
Weaver said before Election Day. "I will incorporate your feedback into everything we do in Columbia, but at the end of the day, l'm not running to be a classroom teacher. I'm running to be the chief executive of a multi-billion dollar state agency that has over a thousand employees."

I usually vote red but couldn’t on this one. You should go look into weavers statement last night about her position and her job title ahead. Kind of a weird statement

"My message to teachers across South Carolina is that I hear your voice and I will listen to you,"
Weaver said before Election Day. "I will incorporate your feedback into everything we do in Columbia, but at the end of the day, l'm not running to be a classroom teacher. I'm running to be the chief executive of a multi-billion dollar state agency that has over a thousand employees."
I don't know how anyone who sends their kids to public schools could vote for someone who holds such obvious contempt for public education. Good on you for crossing party lines on this one.

LMAO that Columbus has anything to do with CRT. More proof that the Right will call anything they don't like CRT. 😅
Didn't call it CRT. But I understand reading and comprehension isn't your strong suit.

• Haha
Reactions: Bobcatsnell
Also. Christopher Columbus and the Spaniards were not pleasant to the native people's that they met during their conquests. Not sure how that's debatable, or really much of an issue. That's historically accurate.
So a stronger civilization dominated a weaker one? Gee, that must be the only time in history that has ever happened. The dude sailed thousands of miles across an ocean not knowing what he'd find. He discovered lands the Western World never knew about. He took a risk and succeeded. Yup, he wanted to profit from it. Who wouldn't? So yeah, I guess that makes him a bad man.

Using your theory Dabo would not be our HC.
Not really. Dabo had been a coach for a significant amount of years. It would be like hiring someone to be the head coach of Clemson with no prior coaching experience. The only experience that candidate would have had is playing high school football.

It’s a shame Weaver was elected bc republicans in SC are too afraid to vote anything other than Republican.

I also didn’t know a single teacher, Republican or democrat, who supported Weaver.

I mean she just received some crap 6 month masters from Bob Jones and won’t even get her diploma until December.

I also didn’t know a single teacher, Republican or democrat, who supported Weaver.

I mean she just received some crap 6 month masters from Bob Jones and won’t even get her diploma until December.
Nope, they all know she's a totally unqualified, guaranteed disaster.

Reactions: eubyscott
Didn't call it CRT. But I understand reading and comprehension isn't your strong suit.
CRT isn't used formally, ask your kids some history questions and listen to their responses. I got an earful one night from my daughter on how evil Chris Columbus was.
If I read it wrong, it's because your writing skills are shit. Tell me how the above should be interpreted. Should be interesting...

Reactions: okclem
So a stronger civilization dominated a weaker one? Gee, that must be the only time in history that has ever happened. The dude sailed thousands of miles across an ocean not knowing what he'd find. He discovered lands the Western World never knew about. He took a risk and succeeded. Yup, he wanted to profit from it. Who wouldn't? So yeah, I guess that makes him a bad man.

So if you admit that what your daughter was taught is historical fact, what do you have an issue with? It was your example to begin with.

Reactions: WapPride and dpic73

Wait wait. Are you arguing that Columbus was in fact just fine? And all that genocide he committed was ok because "he wanted to profit from it"?

I get his point, it’s just not a good one.

judging past people by today’s standards isn’t really something I support, especially when you consider what life was actually like in Europe in the 1450s up to the 1490s when Columbus hit Hispaniola.
However, someone who wiped out practically 95% of Hispaniola in the mines feeding them grass, and then proceeded to invade neighboring islands, slaughter all able bodied males, take the women, elderly, and children and proceed to do the exact same to thing to the point where 90% of those native populations were wiped off the face of the earth is an objectively terrible person.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Mind was blown that one candidate, Weaver, has never been in the classroom for teaching, administration, instructional but wants to be superintendent. Also just didn’t completed her masters in 6 months because it’s a requirement to be eligible to be superintendent of schools. Just nuts the people that will probably vote on a party line. Please check this out before next week regardless of party affiliation. Our state, SC, for most of us, is way behind in education in all facets.

look into Ellis vs weaver in this running. Just fyi I vote along a lot of red lines but not this time.
I don't know, what are schools for? Teachers or students? One candidate is pro shut down, one is not. Pretty easy decision for me

I don't know, what are schools for? Teachers or students? One candidate is pro shut down, one is not. Pretty easy decision for me
One is for state money for private schools, one got a BS masters degree in 6 months to even qualify, and one has never worked in any type of school environment. That’s just hard to look past man. It’s over now but weaver will not get the state education in a better position when she leaves from now. Schools are for a combination of having able teachers put their best foot forward with students of all Learning types.

One is for state money for private schools, one got a BS masters degree in 6 months to even qualify, and one has never worked in any type of school environment. That’s just hard to look past man. It’s over now but weaver will not get the state education in a better position when she leaves from now. Schools are for a combination of having able teachers put their best foot forward with students of all Learning types.
Well... Your not wrong. Between my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and tons of close friends who are all teachers, and my wife who is VP of the local PTA, I am taking somewhat different position on this. I want an outsider...albeit one who at least still advocates for much of the same things I do.

Reactions: Clemson Goat
I disagree with some of the thoughts in this thread. Why is it critical what type of Masters degree she has or when she got it. I don’t think that should even be a requirement. Heck the Governor doesn’t have to have a Masters degree and certainly that job is even more challenging. I know plenty of people that run great businesses that could do a great job in this position and they don’t have a Masters either. I’m all for a good outsider who isn’t blinded by the way things have always been done. If you want another opinion, read the papers being published by the department heads at Clemson for the Lyceum honors program. They strongly advocate almost any other option to public education whether it be homeschooling, charter or private and are publishing a lot of data to support it. There are many kids stuck in failing schools and teachers who are miserable with the current system in our state and I am all for taking a different approach than the status quo. Public school teachers have always been scared to death of anyone from the outside

Using some of the aurgunents in this thread, Nikki Haley would have been a terrible candidate with little experience to be Governor and she did a great job. I come from a family of public school administrators at the highest level and I voted for Weaver. I hope that our state will take a hard look at educationA
al techniques that home school and charter schools use to great success and start applying them in public schools. One size doesn’t fit all.

Reactions: leetp
I disagree with some of the thoughts in this thread. Why is it critical what type of Masters degree she has or when she got it. I don’t think that should even be a requirement. Heck the Governor doesn’t have to have a Masters degree and certainly that job is even more challenging. I know plenty of people that run great businesses that could do a great job in this position and they don’t have a Masters either. I’m all for a good outsider who isn’t blinded by the way things have always been done. If you want another opinion, read the papers being published by the department heads at Clemson for the Lyceum honors program. They strongly advocate almost any other option to public education whether it be homeschooling, charter or private and are publishing a lot of data to support it. There are many kids stuck in failing schools and teachers who are miserable with the current system in our state and I am all for taking a different approach than the status quo. Public school teachers have always been scared to death of anyone from the outside

Using some of the aurgunents in this thread, Nikki Haley would have been a terrible candidate with little experience to be Governor and she did a great job. I come from a family of public school administrators at the highest level and I voted for Weaver. I hope that our state will take a hard look at educationA
al techniques that home school and charter schools use to great success and start applying them in public schools. One size doesn’t fit all.
It’s not more of the actual masters degree experience, it’s the fact she obtained it just to get the degree to fill a slot on her application. I feel weaver is nothing but status quo for the state. We should bump this in 2 years and see what is going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT