ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sexual assault allegations

Show me a post where I said women should be subservient to men.

i'm not gonna go digging through your post history. i think it's pretty obvious where you come down on a lot of this stuff--and usually it's not in favor of women.

I discount most of this stuff. We promote sex everywhere in our society and then act surprised and expect it not to be in the workplace. These same women use it to advance but complain about it later. Women dress like sluts and put it out there but men are not supposed to notice? Women use their sexuality to get what they want all the time. Just more of the land of everybody gets offended by everything. I am not talking about rape and violent acts. But if someone verbally says something inappropriate in your mind, get the heck over it. These women that have said nothing for years are enablers. And yes I have daughters. I teach them that all men are pigs and to slap shiate out of any man that does something out of line.

Yikes. TigaP: those sluts we're asking for it.

Almost like the Salem witch hunts. So many accusations crying wolf water it down. If it's true it should be handled immediately not thirty years later. The guy in Alabama shouldn't be in office for so many other reasons. But back then, in Alabama, the age differences were most likely culturally accepted.

These idiots deserve everything that is coming to them. ZFG.

It is one issue if it is two adults in a non-authority situations. It is easy to write off those type of allegations as misreading the situation especially if the encounter was relatively innocuous. It is also hard to get worked up about verbal allegations unless it was repetitive and becomes harassing.

It is another thing if one party has power and/or authority, prays on young people and/or the behavior is repetitive with multiply allegations against the same person. Obviously that individual needs to be dealt with appropriately.

Almost all of what is coming out today falls into that second bucket and their is no place for that is society. It is a snowball in two ways. One people speaking up makes it easier for others to speak up. People speaking up against a one person has always lead to more people speaking up against said person.

Victim blaming is also the worst. They were asking to get sexually assaulted. Get out with that garbage Sharia Law type non-sense.

The notion that the problem mostly lies in Hollywood or the past is just wrong.

Or that you can't meet with a woman alone anymore. If that's your takeaway, you are doing it wrong. People aren't making this shit up. It's pervasive.

Don't sexually harass people. That's the takeaway.
Didn't mean to imply that it was limited to Hollywood just that that majority of the reports seem related to the entertainment industry. I agree with you that it still exist. While meeting alone can be ok it sets both parties up for accusations. I also don't think these allegations are made up. Sorry if the way I wrote my reply came across like that. As I said I have 2 daughters and I would like to think that they don't have to go to work and be concerned about a boss's or coworkers' behavior on a daily basis. I think males in general can't understand why that's a problem.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
This post you are cosigning posits that it's ok to sexually harass women because they dress like sluts. That's pretty anti-woman amy.

No.... there is a slippery slope here. Am not talking about touching. I'm saying that a woman who dresses in something that leaves little to the imagination is going to draw some attention and have some men flirting if she looks decent. ( or not) After all, that's why she's dressing that way- for attention.

Lots of men are just pigs. A woman who looks good can be in jeans and a T shirt and get attention she doesn't want. Ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTimeTiger
It is one issue if it is two adults in a non-authority situations. It is easy to write off those type of allegations as misreading the situation especially if the encounter was relatively innocuous. It is also hard to get worked up about verbal allegations unless it was repetitive and becomes harassing.

It is another thing if one party has power and/or authority, prays on young people and/or the behavior is repetitive with multiply allegations against the same person. Obviously that individual needs to be dealt with appropriately.

Almost all of what is coming out today falls into that second bucket and their is no place for that is society. It is a snowball in two ways. One people speaking up makes it easier for others to speak up. People speaking up against a one person has always lead to more people speaking up against said person.

Victim blaming is also the worst. They were asking to get sexually assaulted. Get out with that garbage Sharia Law type non-sense.
Spot on.

This really just speaks on Muslim culture

I am always amazed at how quickly people with single digit IQs share their opinions. Stupidity and lacking any shred of self awareness is a tough way to go through life.

Just because I'm not in allegiance with the Madonnas and Ashley Judds of the world, I'm not in favor of women? That's laughable.

you're not in favor of women because you have a clear of being anti-feminism. oh, and you voted for one of these sexual predators to be president of the united states. not sure what gets more anti-women than that.

Yeah.... That's exactly what I thought. :p
Is that emoji trying to stick its tongue down Scott in cicncy’s Emoji’s throat. Because that’s awesomely appropriate for that arc of this conversation. And completely inappropriate in the workplace or on this message board. Scott’s emoji should call a press conference and lay allegations against Amy’s emoji.

oNJbOCA.png

So let me see if I have this straight.... a woman who dresses like this should not expect a man to make any comments about the way she's dressed? I'm certainly NOT suggesting that a woman dressed like this gives a man any right to touch or assault her. Absolutely not! But this chick should be expecting a lot of inappropriate comments. Because she's going to get them. Men are very "visual" creatures.

oNJbOCA.png

So let me see if I have this straight.... a woman who dresses like this should not expect a man to make any comments about the way she's dressed? I'm certainly NOT suggesting that a woman dressed like this gives a man any right to touch or assault her. Absolutely not! But this chick should be expecting a lot of inappropriate comments. Because she's going to get them. Men are very "visual" creatures.
"That's an interesting dress" - appropriate
"That's an interesting vagina" - inappropriate

If you are an adult you should be able to handle anything inappropriate. Whether it's a bad joke, flirting whatever else offends the weak. They need to toughen up buttercup. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. When it comes to physical contact that's another story and there would be many circumstances that would weigh into whether it was criminal.

This post you are cosigning posits that it's ok to sexually harass women because they dress like sluts. That's pretty anti-woman amy.
A little black dress does not mean yes. But it does mean “look at me. I’m attractive and confident.” And that’s a buy signal to some people. Certainly gives no one the right to be inappropriate, but also does not give women the right to be shocked by the attention it brings. I tell my daughters that a little modesty goes a long way in avoiding unwanted attention. They think I’m a fossil with no clue.

Well she's trying to show you her vagina.
So clearly you should mention it, right? You see a guy with tight jeans, it's your moral obligation to say "Hey, nice ass buddy"?

One thing I'd be interested in is if Harvey Weinstein looked like Brad Pitt would we be hearing much about it?

My guess is no....

jesus christ.

yes, i'm positive that if brad pitt did as harvey weinstein did--used his position of power to essentially coerce women into having sex with them or put them in sexually uncomfortable situations--that people would still be upset. read a goddamn book. sexual assault and coercion can have a damaging effect regardless of the "attractiveness" of the perpetrator.

Reactions: BionicTiger
So clearly you should mention it, right? You see a guy with tight jeans, it's your moral obligation to say "Hey, nice ass buddy"?

Women aren't like men. Most aren't that bold and crass to say "nice ass". Tight jeans on women, good.
Tight jeans on guys, laughable.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
What's everyone's take on all these allegations surfacing daily? Some decades old. Is it a snowball effect? One came forward and then others felt comfortable to follow? Don't know if any have a reason to lie.... The allegations against a dead Patrick Swayze seemed unfair.
I have a hard time not believing the ones from Alabama. Setting Moore up to that degree seems impossible. Given the inability to prove anything the only punishment would seem to be getting your ass kicked in an election.

Franken’s issues are more provable but at least not with children. I think he survives because he owned up to it and apologized with acceptance. Unless it turns out there were others.

Bet there aren't too many men on the planet who haven't done some inappropriate flirting. And that goes for lots of women too.

"Inappropriate Flirting" in the workplace...Lol.

Several years ago, I was at a bridge construction site, and a new engineer(female-NC State grad) came out to the site wearing a skirt so short that it could have been used as a dinner napkin, a form fitting top, high heels and a hard hat.
All work stopped at the site for several minutes as she walked over to me and a contractor that were talking, and asked, " Is it ok if I stick with you guys. I forgot my orange vest at the office?"

I looked at her and said, "Sure". That was one of the most crazy funny yet impressively "inappropriate" things that I have seen at work from a female. But certainly not the funniest or most inappropriate.

The contractor forgot his name for a few minutes when she started asking him questions. Lol.

She was/is a very good engineer, and certainly did not need to "pull the chain" that day. Some women act out at work for kicks. Some for attention. Some for other reasons.

A little black dress does not mean yes. But it does mean “look at me. I’m attractive and confident.” And that’s a buy signal to some people. Certainly gives no one the right to be inappropriate, but also does not give women the right to be shocked by the attention it brings. I tell my daughters that a little modesty goes a long way in avoiding unwanted attention. They think I’m a fossil with no clue.

No. It doesn't mean look at me. Unwanted sexual attention is not invited by showing ones cleavage. Nor is is ok. Women can dress a particular way because it makes them feel good. Or for whatever reason they choose. That doesn't mean they should endure sexual harrassment.

Tell your daughters to tell men who comment on their appearance without invitation to shut the **** up. That it's none of their business.

jesus christ.

yes, i'm positive that if brad pitt did as harvey weinstein did--used his position of power to essentially coerce women into having sex with them or put them in sexually uncomfortable situations--that people would still be upset. read a goddamn book. sexual assault and coercion can have a damaging effect regardless of the "attractiveness" of the perpetrator.

Good heavens you get rustled easily. If we are all that far below you intellectually, go find a Mensa club to circle jerk in. My point was going back to the conversation that Amy and I were having where I opined that if my "offender" was attractive, I may have felt differently about the whole thing.

As an executive, I can tell you that there are many situations where both sexes use attraction to their advantage both as managers and subordinates.

oNJbOCA.png

Why should she expect inappropriate comments? I don’t get to judge her motives for wearing that dress. I don’t get to determine to what extent she was asking for it based on heel height, dress length, cleavage, whatever. I can start a conversation with her like a normal person or I can do what normal people do any time they have inappropriate thoughts when they see an attractive member of the opposite sex - keep my mouth shut. It isn’t difficult.

As for the original question - no. It hasn’t gotten out of hand. The discouraging of these women from coming forward is counter to what we should actually want. Unfortunately, sexual assault to varying degrees is far too common and far too often goes unreported for any number of reasons.

Most of us probably know someone who has been sexually assaulted. We may not know that about that person. But, having seen firsthand in someone close the effects that rape/assault can have on someone for years/decades - I would never doubt or discourage a purported victim from speaking out. I’d actively encourage them. People that abuse power for the purposes of rape, should die IMO. The more of them who get outed, the better.

Where I have an issue is the attention whore on Facebook dropping #metoo and launching into a 1500 word short story about she got hit on once at a bar. That not only isn’t assault of any kind, it undermines and almost devalues the real accounts and real cases of sexual assault

No. It doesn't mean look at me. Unwanted sexual attention is not invited by showing ones cleavage. Nor is is ok. Women can dress a particular way because it makes them feel good. Or for whatever reason they choose. That doesn't mean they should endure sexual harrassment.

Tell your daughters to tell men who comment on their appearance without invitation to shut the **** up. That it's none of their business.

Well Ice, since you're not a woman and I am , I'm more qualified than you to speak about why women dress the way they do. A woman showing off cleavage is usually confident but she is also dressed that way because she wants to be noticed. She is seeking attention from the opposite sex.

I think there's probably a culture in Hollywood where these famous actors are able to take advantage of women. I also think because it's a cultural thing many of these women are much more complicit in the act than they're claiming. I lean more towards not feeling bad for someone who chooses to engage in a sexual act with someone for the sake of their career but I've never been in that position and had to live with the regret.

It's just impossible to parse through all these allegations and know what's real, what's fake and what's in between.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT