ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The vaccine is basically a flu shot

I think they do, they're just being ornery because they don't like taking these measures.
I think it's much more complicated than that. Conspiracies are a coping mechanism for them. Having everything boiled down to an "easy" answer is comforting.

Reactions: dual_tiger
Do people seriously not understand how wearing a mask and social distancing could reduce the chances of spreading a virus?

Great let's just stay away from each other and wear masks forever then. Don't forget that big mac or 6 pack of alcohol at the corner spot on every street in America

I could actually explain all of this to you, but would it matter? I'll take advice from Dr. Fauci over the eye doctor 10/10 even if he was THE BEST eye doctor in the world.
Fauci has changed his position on more things about this virus than any “expert” should need to. He is loving his time in the spotlight and throwing things against the wall to see who will follow him.

Inflation is at 2.6% but yeah
1*w6PNkoTUdMp5OSPnFvybRw.png

Reactions: TigerGrowls
Fauci has changed his position on more things about this virus than any “expert” should need to. He is loving his time in the spotlight and throwing things against the wall to see who will follow him.

Gotta wear 3 masks now...even after vaccination. Also it's mandatory to watch cnn at least 2 hours a day

Why would this surprise anyone?
Flu is a virus, coronavirus is a virus. Viruses mutate over short period of times. What worked well against last year’s variant doesn’t work against the new variants. Ergo, a revaccination is required.

But the family of coronaviruses have proven to be relatively stable and do not mutate as rapidly as flu viruses.

Additionally, there are literally dozens of flu strains that are all mutating every year.

Nobody knows how long immunity will last and nobody knows if the virus will mutate enough to render the current vaccine useless.

It could be as effective as the polio vaccine but that doesn't make big pharma enough money so of course they will encourage people to get a shot yearly.

Reactions: ajpbnd
I keep seeing this term “post-vax”. We aren’t post-vax yet. That happens when enough people have received it, so that we achieve herd immunity. That’s when things really get back to normal.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS
Wanna get back to normal? Then get the vaccine. Until enough people get the vaccine that we can reach herd immunity, everyone, even vaccinated people will have to take precautions.

Also, until that time, the virus is going to be able to mutate more quickly, and require more frequent boosters.

Even then, as long as the virus is able to mutate, it very well may require regular boosters like the flu does. But, the vaccine keeps you from DYING from COVID. Like the flu shot, it doesn't necessarily keep you from getting COVID, but it has been shown to be nearly 100% effective at preventing deaths, which is the primary and most important goal.

Bottom line, things don’t go back to normal until we can get back to a containment strategy. We should be using every means to get to that point.

That includes vaccines, masks, hand washing, social distancing, hiding in caves...literally everything that reduces cases. Frankly, it’s hard to imagine anyone who wouldn’t want us to use all means at our disposal.

Why would this surprise anyone?
Flu is a virus, coronavirus is a virus. Viruses mutate over short period of times. What worked well against last year’s variant doesn’t work against the new variants. Ergo, a revaccination is required.
Yes. Just a few exceptions like measles, mumps, polio, smallpox, Rubella, and chickenpox. Presumed lifetime for those puppies.

Reactions: ajpbnd
I think it's much more complicated than that. Conspiracies are a coping mechanism for them. Having everything boiled down to an "easy" answer is comforting.
I see some cognitive dissonance going on. Something like ressentiment. But I don't think you're wrong.

Reactions: saber8689
Polio and small pox are 2 viruses that have not mutated --- yet. If they do the world will be in deep doo doo.
Someone already added all the key viruses that act differently ... dont lump all viruses together, much like you shouldnt lump all bacteria together in terms of the antibiotics they are treated with. Most people dont think about it but classes of bacteria are treated differently as well and with some being more likely to develop resistance to treatment than others just as viruses do with mutations.

Can anyone here tell me how many people died of the flu and pneumonia each year? How does that compare with current death levels of Covid? Just as I have been vaccinated for Covid, pneumonia, and the current guess on flu, others elect to have none of the three.
Having had Covid or getting the shot provides some immunity to the new variants. You can get the new variants, but will be less likely to get severely sick or die from it. In my book, that puts Covid in the same category as the flu. Pneumonia is a killer of the old (the Angel of Death in Nursing Homes) and it also kills many younger people. At some point the masks need to come off and life resume. As a society we have lived with a certain level of deaths from both the flu and pneumonia. Now Covid falls into that category. At least there is an option for those who want to keep from getting sick. As to the shots for Covid variants, that is going to be guesswork, just like the flu vaccine.

I'm more concerned about by cholesterol and body mass index.
Check out the new research on cholesterol. They are saying now that cholesterol is just a by product of inflammation that you already have. Your cells which are made of cholesterol is just trying to fix the real issue of inflammation in arteries. Also new studies say saturated fat isn’t bad at all, it’s sugar that causes heart disease. A lot of new information coming out on these topics.

Great let's just stay away from each other and wear masks forever then. Don't forget that big mac or 6 pack of alcohol at the corner spot on every street in America
I'm not a people person anyway, so unless it's a hot female, I prefer that people not violate my personal space. I do agree that masks are inconvenient and will end up in the oceans and landfills, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if people wore them in stores or on mass transportation during traditional cold and flu seasons. It was great not catching any colds this year.

Right, changing recommendations based on new information. How dare he.
There was no “new” information when he initially said (lied) that the public did not need to wear masks. Just one example. There are many more if you really want to go back and look.

• Haha
Reactions: dpic73
Someone already added all the key viruses that act differently ... dont lump all viruses together, much like you shouldnt lump all bacteria together in terms of the antibiotics they are treated with. Most people dont think about it but classes of bacteria are treated differently as well and with some being more likely to develop resistance to treatment than others just as viruses do with mutations.

Yep - And many people have no idea of how bacteria and viruses differ and how they are treated.

Dude come on. Dont you know that if we actually show proof that the left and liberals are wrong they will just change the definition? Now some one will cancel Webster until the definitions are changed.

The main stream media and liberals continue to move the goal posts constantly. Then back track, then quietly make a correction after the outrage and damage is done. Look at the outrage that was made about the Russian bounties on our soldiers and Trumps lack of response, only to now learn that Biden's intel chief said the reports were wrong then, and basically proving Trump was right.

You cannot with a straight face believe the cancelling culture and big tech is not a huge influencer of liberal plans.
Throw in big pharma as well, they’ve got Fauci in their pocket

There is no doubt masks help, vaccine helps, social distancing helps. Staying in your home alone in a hermetically sealed room helps. But what do you give up for all of this? I think we should all do our part to help stop the spread, but what is considered your part?

Let me ask this. How do you treat sex concerning trying to not have a child, assuming you would not have an abortion.
Unprotected sex is maybe 25% effective (just spitballing here). Condoms are 99.9% effective. birth control pills add some level of success as well, so you can get to 99.999%. Assuming you are as skilled at wearing a condom as you are at putting on a mask. But if you are a sexually active adult, why are you not practicing abstinence, which is 100% effective. Why even risk pregnancy even though you can do things to lower your chances?

The issue is the fear mongering that goes on for the COVID, and the government shut downs and regulations. Our kids losing a year of school. I would bet that many would not complain about wearing a mask if things were open. This whole thing was blown way out of proportion in a money grab and political sledge hammer, in which the main stream media piled on.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
There was no “new” information when he initially said (lied) that the public did not need to wear masks. Just one example. There are many more if you really want to go back and look.
All information was new when he said that. Once they researched how COVID was spread they then recommended masks. I can’t believe this is so hard for people to understand.

I'm not a people person anyway, so unless it's a hot female, I prefer that people not violate my personal space. I do agree that masks are inconvenient and will end up in the oceans and landfills, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if people wore them in stores or on mass transportation during traditional cold and flu seasons. It was great not catching any colds this year.

While I agree masks can help prevent the spread of viruses most people don't use a mask properly. They constantly touch it and move it around and often dispose of them improperly. In a perfect world what you are saying would make sense.

There is also a flip side to social distancing, we've seen suicide rates, child abuse at home, drug and alcohol addiction, mental illness, depression, ect. all.sky rocket the past year. Those things should bother you and are a result of lockdowns.

You do realize you can always wear your mask forever if you choose, that will protect you, but to require them in stores or mass transportation is not the America I want to live in. China welcomes you with open arms.

Maybe in waiting rooms, nursing homes or hospitals, those type environments make sense because you have elderly patients or patients with existing health conditions.

Last edited:
There is also a flip side to social distancing, we've seen suicide rates, child abuse at home, drug and alcohol addiction, mental illness, depression, ect. all.sky rocket the past year. Those things should bother you and are a result of lockdowns.
This is not true. Suicides actually decreased in the US in 2020.

Reactions: yoshi121374
This is not true. Suicides actually decreased in the US in 2020.

The study you and most main stream outlets are talking about right now is primarily looking at data through July of 2020. Lockdowns have severe mental health consequences, and other consequences like I mentioned above. There is a reason why health experts have warned against further lockdowns

Last edited:
The study you and most main stream outlets are talking about right now is primarily looking at data through July of 2020. Lockdowns have severe mental health consequences, and other consequences like I mentioned above. There is a reason why health experts have warned against further lockdowns
Total number of suicides for 2020 was down 5%. Accidental drug overdoses were up. There’s some truth in what you’re saying but suicide rates did not skyrocket.

Total number of suicides for 2020 was down 5%. Accidental drug overdoses were up. There’s some truth in what you’re saying but suicide rates did not skyrocket.

Where do you see data through the end of 2020?

The article you posted says provisional data for 2020 through June does it not? If I'm wrong I will stand corrected but I don't think we have data through 2020 yet.

"Increases in other leading causes, especially heart disease, Alzheimer disease, and diabetes, may also reflect disruptions in health care that hampered early detection and disease management. Increases in unintentional injury deaths in 2020 were largely driven by drug overdose deaths. Final mortality data will help determine the effect of the pandemic on concurrent trends in drug overdose deaths.

Provisional, national mortality data show that the COVID-19 pandemic substantially affected mortality in 2020. Early estimates of life expectancy at birth, based on provisional data for January to June 2020, show historic declines not seen since World War II (1942-1943)."

The article you posted says provisional data for 2020 through June does it not? If I'm wrong I will stand corrected but I don't think we have data through 2020 yet.

"Increases in other leading causes, especially heart disease, Alzheimer disease, and diabetes, may also reflect disruptions in health care that hampered early detection and disease management. Increases in unintentional injury deaths in 2020 were largely driven by drug overdose deaths. Final mortality data will help determine the effect of the pandemic on concurrent trends in drug overdose deaths.

Provisional, national mortality data show that the COVID-19 pandemic substantially affected mortality in 2020. Early estimates of life expectancy at birth, based on provisional data for January to June 2020, show historic declines not seen since World War II (1942-1943)."
You’re correct, these are provisional. So maybe you’re right and there’s a significant uptick in suicides post June, but most “lockdowns” were over by then so you’d probably have to get more localized data to make the case that an increase in suicides from june-december were related to lockdowns. This seems to indicate that when full on lockdowns were going on in most places across the country, suicides decreased.

Accidental deaths related to overdoses, drunk driving, etc. did increase. So again, there’s some merit to what you’re saying. I’d probably argue though that things like opioid addiction and alcoholism and mental health are issues that far proceeded any Covid restrictions and are more systemic.

I think there’s also something to be said for the ever present daily conflict and division that Americans seemed to be in for the last year that would have also contributed to anxiety/depression/mental health issues that could also have lead to an increase in drug and alcohol use. I don’t think its fair to conclude that an increase in these things is solely related to covid related lockdowns.

I think there’s also something to be said for the ever present daily conflict and division that Americans seemed to be in for the last year that would have also contributed to anxiety/depression/mental health issues that could also have lead to an increase in drug and alcohol use. I don’t think its fair to conclude that an increase in these things is solely related to covid related lockdowns.

I'm a firm believer that the conflict and division in this country you describe is a direct result of Americans having most of their discussions on politics, religion, morality, etc. online (e.g., here, tMB) rather than in person. That certainly was occurring prior to COVID, but I think the isolation COVID forced on us amplified this quite a bit.

Reactions: dbjork6317
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT