ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The vaccine is basically a flu shot

tenor.gif

that you "should" get every year?

Why would this surprise anyone?
Flu is a virus, coronavirus is a virus. Viruses mutate over short period of times. What worked well against last year’s variant doesn’t work against the new variants. Ergo, a revaccination is required.

Fauci says get vaccinated bc it works.....but still wear your mask (actually 2 of them), stay socially distant, avoid indoor dining, & large crowds...

if this vaccination works so well, why aren’t people able to lead a normal life after receiving it??

my wife's fully vaccinated yet the nursing homes where she performs therapy still require her to test weekly. still required to wear full PPE, mask and face shield, etc.

nothing's changed post-vax. help me wrap my big head around why? why are we taking this vaccine if the fear mongers have the loudest voice in the room?

my wife's fully vaccinated yet the nursing homes where she performs therapy still require her to test weekly. still required to wear full PPE, mask and face shield, etc.

literally nothing's changed post-vax
Devil's advocate: You could say that her chances of contracting Covid, getting really sick with Covid, and spreading it to her colleagues and residents have changed post-vax. Also, when she is at a nursing home she is still working with the most at-risk population. I'm sure the residents have all been vaccinated, but I guess I can see a reason for the continued precautions in her specific scenario (close contact healthcare with the elderly).

Devil's advocate: You could say that her chances of contracting Covid, getting really sick with Covid, and spreading it to her colleagues and residents have changed post-vax. Also, when she is at a nursing home she is still working with the most at-risk population. I'm sure the residents have all been vaccinated, but I guess I can see a reason for the continued precautions in her specific scenario (close contact healthcare with the elderly).
Let's mandate everyone in healthcare to take the vaccination yet still test them weekly. Wait, what?

And yes, everyone's been vaccinated in these nursing homes in FL.

my opinion, but requiring excessive PPE doesn't fully protect someone from getting coronavirus. ask a few nursing homes in NY.

nothing's changed post-vax. help me wrap my big head around why? why are we taking this vaccine if the fear mongers have the loudest voice in the room?

BC it doesn’t stop the spread of NCOV. It decreases reportable symptoms.

Let's mandate everyone in healthcare to take the vaccination yet still test them weekly. Wait, what?

And yes, everyone's been vaccinated in these nursing homes in FL.

my opinion, but requiring excessive PPE doesn't fully protect someone from getting coronavirus. ask a few nursing homes in NY.
I'm not advocating a specific position, just commenting on the very specific situation of (1) close-contact healthcare with (2) the elderly.

I keep seeing this term “post-vax”. We aren’t post-vax yet. That happens when enough people have received it, so that we achieve herd immunity. That’s when things really get back to normal.

So many people look at this from an individual perspective and not from the perspective of the entire population, and then they don’t understand the reasoning behind these decisions and policies whatsoever.
For example - even if the Vax is 90% effective. That is still 10% of the vaccinated population walking around capable of getting sick and continuing to spread it to those who haven’t been vaxxed and/or are in that 10% group.

For example - even if the Vax is 90% effective. That is still 10% of the vaccinated population walking around capable of getting sick and continuing to spread it to those who haven’t been vaxxed and/or are in that 10% group.

Yeah, things are getting better every day, but we are not out of the woods, yet.

As far as the OP topic; we’ve known this all along. It sucks. It could also be worse.

Fauci says get vaccinated bc it works.....but still wear your mask (actually 2 of them), stay socially distant, avoid indoor dining, & large crowds...

if this vaccination works so well, why aren’t people able to lead a normal life after receiving it??
This is been the problem with their logic from day one. If masks work, what do you need social distancing for? If social distancing works, what do you need masks for? It's one BS story after another that no one can verify or prove decisively one way or the other it seems. Now vaccines work, but you still need masks and distancing? How can anyone take Fauci as anything other than a clown and a tool.

I keep seeing this term “post-vax”. We aren’t post-vax yet. That happens when enough people have received it, so that we achieve herd immunity. That’s when things really get back to normal.

So many people look at this from an individual perspective and not from the perspective of the entire population, and then they don’t understand the reasoning behind these decisions and policies whatsoever.

Yeah, things are getting better every day, but we are not out of the woods, yet.

As far as the OP topic; we’ve known this all along. It sucks. It could also be worse.
LOL maybe that's how you interpret post-vax. merriam-webster disagree

Screenshot-2021-04-16-112238.png

The reason you still are asked to wear a mask and distance and all that after vaccination is because idiots who don’t believe in covid will just say they’ve been vaccinated so they don’t have to wear a mask. That’s what the CDC is trying to avoid. If you don’t want to have to show a vaccine passport or whatever (which the majority of this far right leaning board doesn’t want) then you have to deal with it

Why would this surprise anyone?
Flu is a virus, coronavirus is a virus. Viruses mutate over short period of times. What worked well against last year’s variant doesn’t work against the new variants. Ergo, a revaccination is required.
Polio and small pox are 2 viruses that have not mutated --- yet. If they do the world will be in deep doo doo.

LOL maybe that's how you interpret post-vax. merriam-webster disagree

Screenshot-2021-04-16-112238.png
Dude come on. Dont you know that if we actually show proof that the left and liberals are wrong they will just change the definition? Now some one will cancel Webster until the definitions are changed.

The main stream media and liberals continue to move the goal posts constantly. Then back track, then quietly make a correction after the outrage and damage is done. Look at the outrage that was made about the Russian bounties on our soldiers and Trumps lack of response, only to now learn that Biden's intel chief said the reports were wrong then, and basically proving Trump was right.

You cannot with a straight face believe the cancelling culture and big tech is not a huge influencer of liberal plans.

Polio and small pox are 2 viruses that have not mutated --- yet. If they do the world will be in deep doo doo.

Small pox is considered eradicated, polio is not (although certain variants are very close). Biggest thing seems to be that the viruses for small pox and polio affect only humans. When animals can remain as a “reservoir” for the virus, like yellow fever, eradication is nearly impossible. Corona virus seems to be proven to be very infectious for animals.

Reactions: saber8689
Do people seriously not understand how wearing a mask and social distancing could reduce the chances of spreading a virus?
well at least you didn't address the mass as a bunch of 'crackers'.

where ITT has anyone stated what your trying to claim?

This is been the problem with their logic from day one. If masks work, what do you need social distancing for? If social distancing works, what do you need masks for? It's one BS story after another that no one can verify or prove decisively one way or the other it seems. Now vaccines work, but you still need masks and distancing? How can anyone take Fauci as anything other than a clown and a tool.

I don’t feel strongly about masks one way or another and am just as tired of all the BS involved as most here. But what I’m most tired of are people referring to something “working” as if it is 100% effective. Even if masks or social distances are only 30% effective (or whatever percentage you want to ascribe), you’re acting as if they are 0% effective.

No one has ever said masks, social distancing, etc. are 100% effective. Same with the vaccine. Even if something is less than 100% effective, and even significantly less than 100% effective, it should still be considered in light of all factors.

To answer your question, neither masks nor social distancing are 100% effective, but if both are at all effective, it seems to me like combining the two would be more effective.

I don't get the flu shot analogy, or what the point of the analogy is. Yes, it's a vaccine, like the flu shot...

If airbags are so effective, why do I need to wear a seatbelt?

I don’t feel strongly about masks one way or another and am just as tired of all the BS involved as most here. But what I’m most tired of are people referring to something “working” as if it is 100% effective. Even if masks or social distances are only 30% effective (or whatever percentage you want to ascribe), you’re acting as if they are 0% effective.

No one has ever said masks, social distancing, etc. are 100% effective. Same with the vaccine. Even if something is less than 100% effective, and even significantly less than 100% effective, it should still be considered in light of all factors.

To answer your question, neither masks nor social distancing are 100% effective, but if both are at all effective, it seems to me like combining the two would be more effective.
Yet the cities that did both the most are in the worsts shape, so I guess things aren't what they seem?

Right, as you said, there's a compounding effect of all of that stuff. Masks are pretty effective at keeping you from spreading disease, and somewhat less effective at protecting you from disease. But two people wearing masks are less likely to spread disease to each other. If people are socially distanced, then the chance of droplets even reaching your mask is lower.

Vaccination works similarly. The more people vaccinated, the less available hosts there are for the virus to spread to. When vaccinated people encounter other vaccinated people, then the chance of those people spreading the virus to each other drops to almost 0. But when not many people are vaccinated, then you have a significant amount of virus spreading and the vaccine's protectiveness is going to tested more often (presumably giving it more chances to fail). This is why we undertake mass vaccination instead of treating vaccination like a completely personal, individualistic choice.

Given the communitarian nature of public health measures, it's no wonder that we have some orneriness about vaccination in as individualistic a society as ours. But public health measures don't work well unless you have population-wide buy in.

BC it doesn’t stop the spread of NCOV. It decreases reportable symptoms.
It does prevent the spread of COVID, though.

Last edited:

This is a little counter-intuitive, but I think vaccine effectiveness doesn't quite mean that 10% of vaccinated people have an "ineffective" vaccine. It means that compared to an unvaccinated population, there will be 95% less infections. So, for instance, if you've got 100,000 people who are unvaccinated, and 1% get infected, then in a vaccinated population, you'd expect 50 infections rather than 1000. And we also know that those 50 people who get infected will be completely protected from severe illness by these vaccines.

Yet the cities that did both the most are in the worsts shape, so I guess things aren't what they seem?
Not really true, but there's a difference between what's effective in terms of individual communication of disease and what's effective as public health policy. For instance, you can tell people they have to wear masks indoors in public and outdoors when they can't social distance, and you can tell them to social distance in public, but you can't control what they do in private. If a lot of the spread was happening in private situations, then mandating masks in public might not be very effective for reducing the spread of the virus even if they work well for preventing spread between individuals.

Small pox is considered eradicated, polio is not (although certain variants are very close). Biggest thing seems to be that the viruses for small pox and polio affect only humans. When animals can remain as a “reservoir” for the virus, like yellow fever, eradication is nearly impossible. Corona virus seems to be proven to be very infectious for animals.
............and apparently = very curable in animals.
Odd, huh?

Reactions: ChiefTiger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT