ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Will You Get Or Have You Been Vaccinated for Covid 19?

Will You Be or Have You Been Vaccinated for Covid 19

• Yes When Eligible / Available

Votes: 141 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 17.0%
  • Already Vaccinated

Votes: 451 54.1%
  • Undecided / Waiting

Votes: 105 12.6%

• Total voters
Had the virus in January and got the first shot 2 weeks ago. For me, the effects of the vaccine were worse than the virus, and the 2nd shot is supposedly the harder one to handle. I was told that the first shot can be similar to the second if you already have the antibodies, which I do.

The only reason I got the vaccine now is to potentially make it easier to travel sooner. Wife had the virus too, and won't touch the vaccine for a year or more once more is known. She avoids the flu shots too because they make her feel bad and she only caught the flu once. Daughters are staying away from the vaccine indefinitely.

The wild card is going to be if the hassles that come with not having the vaccine become a lot greater than any potential risk that comes with getting the vaccine. For example, countries may continue to require 10 day quarantines if you haven't had the vaccine, and no quarantine if you have had the vaccine. So no, you wouldn't have to get the vaccine, but that would hypothetically nix most international travel if you don't.

On the flip side, is it really known that immunity from having the virus doesn't last for the majority of people? And no one knows yet how long the vaccine will last yet.

I could have gone either way. I got a call from a friend about having an extra dose available that I could have if I could be there in 20m. I have lower concerns and decided to just get it, like I said, in hopes of avoiding some later hassle. But I do firmly believe that anyone in a high risk group is crazy if they don't get the vaccine.

Last summer I was team hell no, but since then I’ve had a few people I know similar to my age and physical condition get covid and have severe issues..... one died with no underlying conditions

so that sort of changed my thought process..... I’ll get it now

my wife is a nursing instructor and started working some shifts as a flex nurse..... her first night she had 4 covid patients so she decided to go ahead and get it (it was her cousin that died from it)

also to add she had zero issues with either does of the vaccine..... same for her mom and sister.

Got my 1st Moderna shot today.

Took less than 20 mins total at CVS in Greenville. There are openings at CVS this weekend and Monday in the upstate.

No ID, No Insurance required.
They trust you that you’re qualified. You check a box at registration.

A BMI above a 30 is a qualifying condition according to DHEC and CDC which is close to 40% of the US.

Link below if interested.

I got my first shot today. Not because I’m worried about it but because I’d assume this administration is going to make it virtually impossible to get back in the U.S. at some point without vaccination or quarantine for 2 weeks. We typically go somewhere in the Caribbean every summer so figure I may as well go ahead and get it to save the hassle of a last minute vaccination.

Was lucky enough to get an autoimmune disease
In Jan 2020. Sarcoidosis of liver. Rare disease. Even more rare location. Just lucky
So my immune system is screwed. Had 14 tests. All negative
All drugs we have tried lower immune system
Start drug 5 next week
So yes. I’ve had both
But I would have anyway. Mom and Dad both 84 and some issues
My in laws all in 80’s.

On the one hand, it’s good that 70% are already vaccinated or saying they will get vaccinated. On the other hand, it’s not great that as many are saying they will get vaccinated as those saying they won’t. Probably gonna need more than 70% of the population vaccinated. 54% is also much higher than the number of people who’ve gotten vaccinated nationally, so we must have a bit of a skewed sample here.

Last edited:
On the one hand, it’s good that 70% are already vaccinated or saying they will get vaccinated. On the other hand, it’s not great that as many are saying they still get vaccinated as those saying they won’t. Probably gonna need more than 70% of the population vaccinated. 54% is also much higher than the number of people who’ve gotten vaccinated nationally, so we must have a bit of a skewed sample here.
Yeah going to need those numbers to go up. Maybe some of the people on the fence will change their minds in the next few months once they see more success.

Watched a Netflix documentary on the Challenger disaster the other night.

While it may not be an accurate comparison, it's absolutely frightening what the government will overlook when there is pressure from leadership.

It's a pretty good watch. I voted no, but my decision was made prior to watching the documentary.

I have people in my life that I worry for, but they're already vaccinated. If the vaccine truly works then I don't need it because they already have it. If it doesn't work, then there's no need for me to get it.
Vaccines are not space shuttles, though. Space shuttles didn’t fail all that often, but they still failed much, much more often than vaccines, which are one of the safest forms of medicine. For instance, severe allergic reactions are only occurring in between 2-11 people out of a million receiving the mRNA vaccines. That’s far less than the proportion of the whole population who has died from COVID, let alone the death and severe illness rate of people who actually get COVID.

As far as not needing the vaccine because other people are getting it, that only makes sense if nearly everybody else gets it. The more people who try to freeload off of others' immunity, the less likely it is that vaccines are able to provide population immunity. You’re basically saying that other people need to not follow your example to get a result you think everybody should desire. Plus, there’s really not any good reason not to just go ahead and get the vaccine, especially after what we’ve had to go through with harsh public health measures over the last year.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that the "wait and see" crowd and even some of the skeptics will come forward in the coming months as more and more of the "crowd" gets it. I also feel like we'll start to see it required (a la Rutgers) in the coming months pushing a lot of those from the sidelines into the game.
While I support schools and certain employers requiring vaccinations, I’m not sure how requiring a vaccine that’s only got an EUA is going to work. Supposedly, you cannot require people to take a vaccine approved under an EUA. But Rutgers only required it for attendance by students, not for its employees, so maybe there’s a distinction.

Vaccines are not space shuttles, though. Space shuttles didn’t fail all that often, but they still failed much, much more often than vaccines, which are one of the safest forms of medicine. For instance, severe allergic reactions are only occurring in between 2-11 people out of a million receiving the mRNA vaccines. That’s far less than the proportion of the whole population who has died from COVID, let alone the death and severe illness rate of of people who actually get COVID.

As far as not needing the vaccine because other people are getting it, that only makes sense if nearly everybody else gets it. The more people who try to freeload off of others immunity, the less likely it is that vaccines are able to provide population immunity. You’re basically saying that other people need to not follow your example to get a result you think everybody should desire. Plus, there’s really not any good reason not to just go ahead and get the vaccine, especially after what we’ve had to go through with harsh public health measures over the last year.
For me, it finally feels like we are so close to seeing this horrible pandemic come to a close. Its hard to not be excited and get the vaccine in my mind. Which makes it that much harder to understand people who see it as "others" job to get the vaccine instead of themselves.

Hey. I resent that remark. 68, recovered from COVID and will not take an experimental treatment until the drug companies can be sued if it kills or injures someone.
What does “experimental” mean here? Are you saying you’ll never take a vaccine? Did you know there is a no-fault compensation program for people injured by vaccines?

For me, it finally feels like we are so close to seeing this horrible pandemic come to a close. Its hard to not be excited and get the vaccine in my mind. Which makes it that much harder to understand people who see it as "others" job to get the vaccine instead of themselves.
I guess I don’t get what they’re afraid of, or how it makes sense that they’re more afraid of vaccines than either the virus or continued public health measures against the virus. Probably has something to do with being less afraid of the devil you know.

While I support schools and certain employers requiring vaccinations, I’m not sure how requiring a vaccine that’s only got an EUA is going to work. Supposedly, you cannot require people to take a vaccine approved under an EUA. But Rutgers only required it for attendance by students, not for its employees, so maybe there’s a distinction.
While most employers will never require vaccination, you will see many make it uncomfortable to not have it (i.e. require PPE, take protective measures, etc.). Just ask a hospital RN what work life is like during flu season if they decline to get the flu shot.

On a side note, it is not rare at all to see students at a university be required to have certain vaccinations that employees are not. The only difference here, as stated, is that these vaccines have only been approved for emergency use.

What does “experimental” mean here? Are you saying you’ll never take a vaccine? Did you know there is a no-fault compensation program for people injured by vaccines?
I think he means "experimental" because the long term ramifications of these vaccines are unknown because they haven't been out long enough. Truly making it an "experiment" on a huge segment of the population.

I personally am on the fence leaning away from the vaccine. I have no problems stating that. In my case, I have no one around me that has not already been vaccinated. I personally have had some allergy issues that can get somewhat severe so this is something that goes into my thought process as well. This, along with the possible unknown long term ramifications have me thinking I will at least be waiting for awhile longer.
Beyond this, Covid just confounds me. The most "at-risk" person I know (4 yrs old with significant breathing issues including a vent, a trach, and a minimum of half a dozen trips to MUSC) had almost Zero issues after testing positive. Her dad frequents the gym with me and has recently had an awful time with it including covid induced pneumonia. His wife also frequents the gym and lost her smell, thats it. Just so confused on how damaging this virus actually is and why it can affect people so differently despite even extreme risk factors.

I think he means "experimental" because the long term ramifications of these vaccines are unknown because they haven't been out long enough. Truly making it an "experiment" on a huge segment of the population.
That would be incorrect usage, then. These vaccines have already gone through three phases of trials.

If you're confused about risk, just compare the risk to the entire population of dying from COVID (550,000/328,000,000, or a .167% rate) versus the risk of even having severe side-effects from vaccines (as much as 11/1,000,000, or a .0011% rate). The rate of death in the entire population (that's looking at everybody, not just people who actually get COVID) is over 150 times higher than the rate of severe anaphylaxis (so far, the only known severe side-effects of the vaccines) for people actually getting the vaccines (really, that's an apples to oranges comparison, since we're looking at the death rate from COVID for the whole population, while we're only looking at the rate of severe anaphylaxis for people who've already been vaccinated).

Last edited:
I’m not against getting it but I’m not really making an effort to get one either. I’m fairly young (30) with no significant health issues, my survival chances are 99%+. At this point, I’m not going to go out of my way to get the vaccine. I’m just not overly concerned if I get the virus.

While most employers will never require vaccination, you will see many make it uncomfortable to not have it (i.e. require PPE, take protective measures, etc.). Just ask a hospital RN what work life is like during flu season if they decline to get the flu shot.

On a side note, it is not rare at all to see students at a university be required to have certain vaccinations that employees are not. The only difference here, as stated, is that these vaccines have only been approved for emergency use.
The vaccines only being approved for emergency use is a pretty big legal difference, from what I understand. But yeah, obviously it's not unusual for schools to require certain vaccinations.

That would be incorrect usage, then. These vaccines have already gone through three phases of trials.

If you're confused about risk, just compare the risk to the entire population of dying from COVID (550,000/328,000,000, or a .167% rate) versus the risk of even having severe side-effects from vaccines (as much as 11/1,000,000, or a .0011% rate). The rate of death in the entire population (that's looking at everybody, not just people who actually get COVID) is over 150 times higher than the rate of severe anaphylaxis (so far, the only known severe side-effects of the vaccines) for people actually getting the vaccines (really, that's an apples to oranges comparison, since we're looking at the death rate from COVID for the whole population, while we're only looking at the rate of severe anaphylaxis for people who've already been vaccinated).
Has the vaccine been tested on anyone with studies ranging beyond about the 6 month mark? "incorrect usage" or not I'd say that is quite experimental

Reactions: scartiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT