ADVERTISEMENT

Reports of multiple officers shot in Baton Rouge, LA

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873

Good try with this one. In a cursory reading I could see the glaring flaws in that experiment. They even cover them in paragraph 3.5 of their own paper.

"First, our outcome measure is crude, even relative to the previous audit studies."

They go so far as to suggest that their lack of controls would

"As a result, our findings may under-estimate the extent of discrimination."

If that is not a clear statement of expecting certain results before the experiment then I don't know what does. That experiment was designed to achieve a specific result.

I would not consider that study to be legitimate evidence of anything other than a poorly run experiment with a clear agenda.

The line you're quoting, "our findings may under-estimate the extent of discrimination," contextually refers to the possibility that an employer may not see the name or associate the given name with a specific race.

The weaknesses of the overall experiment are certainly listed, and you're right to point out the "crudeness" of the initial measure.

But...here's another from 2010 that more thoroughly examines the issue. .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2915472/

Take a look if you want to. As I noted before, this thread is far past its expiration date and should die peacefully somewhere in The Round Table.

But, on the topic of institutional racism, it seems much more difficult to utterly disprove its existence than to acknowledge that, at least to some extent, there are elements at play.

Warrick Dunn's response to the BR tragedy.

My heart breaks for the the families and law enforcement officers that have lost love ones. I have been in similar shoes - it will change their lives and leave them all reeling with questions for years to come. It is a shame - so many officers who are out there on the front lines have tremendous heart for what they do. These acts of violence don't solve anything and if my voice can add to the movement to stop it - then I’d consider that a good thing. I struggle emotionally to understand why and how police officers are being targeted in the way they are.

The reality of our world is that there is a lot of unrest in our communities, particularly where police shootings are happening. It takes me back of course to when my black mother was ambushed and killed - by a black man. And all of this comes at a terribly personal time for me. Next week, I will attend trial for a re-sentencing hearing for my mother’s murder which happened 23 years ago. I hate to even think of what this entire ordeal will cost our community but I know - it is too much. And even though my Mother lost her life all those years ago, the men who were tried by a jury of their peers have been kept alive by a prison system that has seen to their every need. Something that was denied to my Mother.
We can’t just sit around and talk about how horrible all this is - we have to do something. And that means it ALWAYS starts with the individual.

One of the things I am doing is taking the role of fatherhood very seriously so I can raise a son who makes a positive contribution. I am striving to be there for him emotionally, physically and intellectually. I want to give him something I never had because the statistics proves it makes a difference when a child have an active father in his or her life. And we have to do more to build empathy in children so they have a hard time treating one another badly. It all starts with kids so we all have to care about kids. Especially kids at risk for never learning how to socially and emotionally relate.

Another thing we can all do is stress to our elected leaders that we have to look at the issue of guns in our country with serious eyes and intent instead of a political stand-off. And then we have to give justice a chance to work. When people are intentional about their use of guns against others - we have to make sure the message that crime doesn’t pay - means something. Today I wonder about that because from my view with my mother’s trial, justice had failed our family but I believe we can and must do better.

We also have to challenge the status quo and ensuring that the laws on the books are enforced. Of course I know there are officers who do not do the right thing - that is true in every profession. But when murder is a planned event - the rule of law should matter and loopholes or sophisticated lawyering have to stop. Why have laws if we aren’t going to enforce them?

I feel close to this subject - it has touched me very personally. I speak for no one other than myself and I support law enforcement. I also support the community of Baton Rouge because they were there for me and my family. If I could have any effect, I’d ask the community to stop the violence, to cool down and to come together to figure this out. There is nothing we can’t do but we have to work together to make something positive come from yet another tragedy in my home town.

Warrick Dunn's response to the BR tragedy.

The reason police are being targeted is people put them in extremely difficult situations and when something bad happens, even your Commander-in-Chief (President of the United States) will not say "Do not put police (who are humans and definitely want to go home to their wife and kids) in a difficult situation. If you are stopped by police, listen to police commands". NOBODY WILL SAY THAT, except for some white people and then they are called racists.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Not sure if this post from a Black police officer has been linked yet, but I'd like to read the liberal anti-cop crowd's opinion of it.

Jay Stalien

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Who's this "anti-cop" crowd you speak of? I haven't seen them on this board.

You know you're right. I looked through this thread and did not read one single post that led me to believe that anyone was anything other than pro cop ITT.

Reactions: appalachiatiger
And I'll pray for you. I'm not upset. You're a part of the problem, it's not that hard.

If you want to tell blacks that they are opressed to this day by slavery and being taught in the past they are second class citizens, you don't even need the KKK to help you opress your own people, you're doing it yourselves.

Look at Dabo's message. He's always said, "why not Clemson? Why not us?" He does not tell the team, well, we've not been all that good compared to the Bama's, Notre Dames, USC's of this world......we're in a small state and we don't have big numbers & rich alumni, we've sucked since the 80s, I doubt we can really beat FSU because they're awesome, etc, etc. No, he said, why not us.....and then told players they were just as good as the dude lining up against them for UGA, FSU, ND.

But, perpetuate the albatross, and tell me I'm anchored to history.
Your response sounds great but the fact that my approach of Prayer-Love-Teaching History-Hard Work has proven well in My Life, The Life of My Sons & many I volunteered with! Now if you don't agree or understand how history helps us to move forward is respected. My approach will continue to save live, at least one per year & it works!

So, you're suggesting that the behaviors of young black men today were "learned" from their forefathers who may have been slaves? I find this fascinating given that the absolute most recent slave in the lineage of a present day black man would be between 5 and 7 generations ago, on average. I haven't the foggiest notion what the men in my family were up to 7 generations ago.
Again, "No I Am Not Suggesting This!"
What I am Saying, The Lessons of Histroy Pros & Con are & should be used to Explain Behavior, Encourage Success, understand Behavior of Your Enemies, Used To Eliminate Execuses, Used To Encourage Hard Work, Unconditionally Love & Proverbs 3:5-6! That Is What I Am Saying!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT