ADVERTISEMENT

"Roots" has been hard to watch.

I'm so

Sorry, i had to stop reading your drivel at the second sentence.
Slavery definitely WAS on the way out.
Only 20 years before the war, slavery was being voted out in the northern states. There were more abolishionists in the South than in the north.
It may seem hard to understand how people could tolerate something that is so clearly immoral. I have a response to that.

Do yiu think it is immoral to dump poisonous chemicals into our atmosphere? Criminal even?
If you answered yes, go sell your cars. Today. No, that would allow others to do the same. Have your car crushed.
Do it today.
Hmmmm.......not so easy, eh?
Slavey was ending? Fantastic!

What year would slavery have been abolished without the civil war? With it, it was 1865.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charleston3383
What some should do is try to imagine the world if the Europeans did not bring African slaves to the "New World".

I realize that this may not go over well, but there are a lot of people who do a lot of bitching about living in the greatest country in the history of the world who would likely not exist.

In the long run and grand scheme of things some people are better off because of it.

Again, I realize that some will see that as warped, racist or whatever, but if you look at it rationally and without the emotional blinders it is true.

Some folks existence is the silver lining if you will.

Last edited:
Do yiu think it is immoral to dump poisonous chemicals into our atmosphere? Criminal even?
If you answered yes, go sell your cars. Today. No, that would allow others to do the same. Have your car crushed.
Do it today.
Hmmmm.......not so easy, eh?

This is easily the worst analogy I've ever seen.

Yeah, slavery was ending and equal rights were just around the corner. Lincoln probably set such progress back, right?

I mean given that free blacks were being fire-hosed by law enforcement in the 1960s, who is to question that, given time, the slaves would have been voluntarily freed around the time of the Civil War?

(I expect I will soon see apologists writing, "At least slaves were never fire-hosed, they were treated like family...")

What some should do is try to imagine the world if the Europeans did not bring African slaves to the "New World".

I realize that this may not go over well, but there are a lot of people who do a lot of bitching about living in the greatest country in the history of the world who would likely not exist.

In the long run and grand scheme of things some people are better off because of it.

Again, I realize that some will see that as warped, racist or whatever, but if you look at it rationally and without the emotional blinders it is true.

It is the silver lining if you will.

Please tell me what the world would be like. Who is better because of it? Are the (estimated) millions that died during the middle passage better because of it? Are the families that were decimated better because of it? What about the women that were raped? Babies that were forcefully aborted? How about the babies that weren't aborted and were used for alligator bait instead (http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/black-babies-used-as-alligator-bait-in-florida-6531453) ? The men that were castrated? How about the ones that were strung up on a tree for disobeying massah?

The foundation of this country was built on cheap slave labor and I'm sure the United States of America is better because of it, but to try and make the parallel there is some "silver lining" to slavery is asinine. If Africans wanted to come to this "New World" industrial superpower then they could have immigrated here like every other ethnic group.

Last edited:
What Southern slaveowners did to their African American slaves during that period is awful. Don't come on here and say that the miniseries makes it worse than it really was. If anything, it doesn't show how bad it was on a much bigger scale, as "Roots" just concentrates on one family.

If you are ever visiting Charleston, go visit the area where the slaves were taken off the boat and auctioned to the rich plantation owners. I've been there,and this overwhelming feeling of doom and dread enveloped me while standing there where so much human misery took place. Taking the Africans from their homes and bringing them over here against their will is similar to the Holocaust, on a much smaller scale.

This production of "Roots" gets to the bare bones much more than the 70s version did. This one is just plain raw and gritty.

Feel this way about the current holocaust of unborn babies in this country. Sucking an unborn babies head out of a womb with a vacuum is no less barbaric than slavery IMO.

Reactions: blue_62
Feel this way about the current holocaust of unborn babies in this country. Sucking an unborn babies head out of a womb with a vacuum is no less barbaric than slavery IMO.
Deer Lowered between this and Crome's post saying slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks is making this a thread I want one more post in before it's locked.

Reactions: The Mixed Mamba
Please tell me what the world would be like. Who is better because of it? Are the (estimated) millions that died during the middle passage better because of it? Are the families that were decimated better because of it? What about the women that were raped? Babies that were forcefully aborted? The men that were castrated? How about the ones that were strung up on a tree for disobeying massah?

The foundation of this country was built on cheap slave labor and I'm sure the United States of America is better because of it, but to try and make the parallel there is some "silver lining" to slavery is asinine. If Africans wanted to come to this "New World" industrial superpower then they could have immigrated here like every other ethnic group.

There is no what if here really. It happened. People suffered, people died and in hindsight there is no legitimate justification for it.

The point is that for someone to argue that slavery in America should have never happened is also saying; perhaps without realizing it, that a large portion of our population should not now exist.

I realize that some just don't see it that way, but it still remains true despite your protest.

There is no what if here really. It happened. People suffered, people died and in hindsight there is no legitimate justification for it.

The point is that for someone to argue that slavery in America should have never happened is also saying; perhaps without realizing it, that a large portion of our population should not now exist.

I realize that some just don't see it that way, but it still remains true despite your protest.
Are you saying exist as Americans or just not exist?

Either way if you gave their ancestors a choice of having the existence that blacks had in this country with racism and the early to mid (late) 20th century, I'd bet they'd probably not choose to have gone through that for the opportunity to live in the good ole USA even with entitlement programs, affirmative action, Obama phones and what other perceived advantages are being inferred.

Reactions: trich24
Are you saying exist as Americans or just not exist?

Either way if you gave their ancestors a choice of having the existence that blacks had in this country with racism and the early to mid (late) 20th century, I'd bet they'd probably not choose to have gone through that for the opportunity to live in the good ole USA even with entitlement programs, affirmative action, Obama phones and what other perceived advantages are being inferred.

Potentially not exist at all regardless of location given the nature of the slave trade within Africa proper.

Look I am just saying that it was what it was. There is no amount of complaining about it, calling anyone names or protesting that will change that. We can't go back in time and correct the wrongs of the world, but we can make the best of the situations that we find ourselves in now.

I am not trying to justify anything at all. I am just pointing out that it happened, it sucked, but it is over and life is not that damn bad in this country and it is now time to move on.

Let it go.

Reactions: 91 Tiger
This is easily the worst analogy I've ever seen.

If you think so, go crush your car.
Your car is absolutely essential to your livelihood. So was slavery to the economy at that time.
If slavery had been abolished like it was virtually everywhere else in western civilization, thru a system of compensated emancipation, with a plan of education and economic planning, the poverty that ALL Southerners lived in for 100 years would have been avoided.
And if the damnyankees had not armed many of the former slaves with guns and encouraged them to take what they wanted from their neighbors by force, the racism would have died much sooner, too.

There was plenty of blame to go around in those days. Southerners and northerners both had slaves - US Grant was a slave owners thru 1865.
The damnyankees took away Southerers right to vote for 12 years, continued their pillage of the South, and armed many former slaves, encouraging them to become domestic terrorists. And many former slaves made the mistake of participating in that foolishness - a couple of 100,000 from letters I've read.

But somehow, everyone today is supposed to have been perfect, except Southerers. Wrong.

Slaves did not build the foundation of this country. They built the plantation economy of the South, that's about it.

If you think so, go crush your car.
Your car is absolutely essential to your livelihood. So was slavery to the economy at that time.
If slavery had been abolished like it was virtually everywhere else in western civilization, thru a system of compensated emancipation, with a plan of education and economic planning, the poverty that ALL Southerners lived in for 100 years would have been avoided.
And if the damnyankees had not armed many of the former slaves with guns and encouraged them to take what they wanted from their neighbors by force, the racism would have died much sooner, too.

There was plenty of blame to go around in those days. Southerners and northerners both had slaves - US Grant was a slave owners thru 1865.
The damnyankees took away Southerers right to vote for 12 years, continued their pillage of the South, and armed many former slaves, encouraging them to become domestic terrorists. And many former slaves made the mistake of participating in that foolishness - a couple of 100,000 from letters I've read.

But somehow, everyone today is supposed to have been perfect, except Southerers. Wrong.

USPS-Thread-Delivers_zpsd25f1865.jpg

The ignorance and lack of empathy displayed by many on here never ceases to amaze me. If you simply imagined yourselves in the shoes of ancestors of slaves, I'm pretty sure the opinion that it is what it is, or slaves were done a favor, or slavery was ok because it was a product of that time in history, would quickly change.

I'm confused by those in this thread that think anyone alive today should answer for anything that happened hundreds of years ago.

I can only take responsibility for my actions. My ancestors were Irish slaves that broke free from bondage and became horse thieves. That was my dads side. My moms side were Germans that fought and died fighting against the nazi party and were imprisoned in concentration camps to be freed by allied forces.

Nobody owes me anything and I don't owe anyone else anything for the actions of the people that shaped my families history. Instead I will choose to be thankful to be living in the greatest nation this earth has ever seen. Everyone else should do the same.

If you choose to let the past influence your emotions you are actually still a slave. Learn from the past. Don't make those awful mistakes, but realize our last has brought us here and be thankful.

I'm confused by those in this thread that think anyone alive today should answer for anything that happened hundreds of years ago.

I can only take responsibility for my actions. My ancestors were Irish slaves that broke free from bondage and became horse thieves. That was my dads side. My moms side were Germans that fought and died fighting against the nazi party and were imprisoned in concentration camps to be freed by allied forces.

Nobody owes me anything and I don't owe anyone else anything for the actions of the people that shaped my families history. Instead I will choose to be thankful to be living in the greatest nation this earth has ever seen. Everyone else should do the same.

If you choose to let the past influence your emotions you are actually still a slave. Learn from the past. Don't make those awful mistakes, but realize our last has brought us here and be thankful.

Who on this thread said any one living today should answer for the past? I must have missed that.

Reactions: robert.n
Who on this thread said any one living today should answer for the past? I must have missed that.

Here is one guy that believes Georgetown parish and university should:

For some, slavery is the past. For others, it bears considerable reflection here and now.

Let me give you a personal example. I welcome your thoughts. (Some of you may have already read about this in the New York Times.)

My Catholic parish in the Georgetown section of the District of Columbia is overseen by the Jesuit Province of Maryland (it has responsibility for Jesuit religious, parishes and schools from Pennsylvania to Georgia), which also oversees Georgetown University. Back when slavery was permissible even the Jesuits owned slaves to work on their Eastern Shore plantations. (Yes, it is despicable to me too and I have high regard for the Jesuits.) The plantations were failing and Georgetown, too, needed money to keep operating. The Jesuit province sold 272 slaves - largely to plantation owners in Louisiana where their fates were much worse than on the Eastern Shore plantations - to raise money for the school and province.

Now, thanks to researchers both at and outside of the university, Georgetown is recognizing that it needs to do something to atone for its grave mistake. (What seems to be the focus of news is the sale of the slaves but to me the ownership of the slaves in the first place is just as bad.)

Some recommend that Georgetown provide scholarships to descendants of the slaves (the researchers are tracing family trees where possible). (It should be noted that Georgetown probably does far better than most private universities in having a socioeconomically diverse campus.)

Closer to home for me, the very first recorded wedding that ever took place at my parish was to two slaves and they had to have permission of slave owners to wed. Blacks were required to sit in the balcony of the church - they later left the parish to form a separate congregation of Black Catholics elsewhere in Georgetown. As a parish, I think we need to reflect on our history (today, this is probably considered one of the most progressive Catholic parishes in the nation and not a soul would try to justify our forebearers). The issue isn't going to magically go away and it shouldn't. I don't have the answers but I think we need to somehow acknowledge our history, recognize that it was the furthest thing possible from Christian belief, and find a way to atone for our mistakes ... even if it is just finding a way to memorialize the mistakes of the past.

Sorry you missed that one. Others have intimated toward the same. I don't have time to reread all of them for you.

The direction of this thread is nothing I didn't expect, but still a little alarming. This thread is likely full of those who are mad at Obama for apologizing for something that happened in 1945, but dismiss the hatred and institutional enslavement and racism towards blacks that existed up until the 60's and 70's saying, "it is history, just get over it."

We've seen statements like "Slaves were treated like family." Family isn't property who when they want to run away or move out they have a ransom for dead or alive.
We've seen it morph into off topic anger at entitlement culture with disdain for those equally ignorant to want reperations for slavery.

Just like there are those wanting to push the narrative of white guilt, there's just as many slavery apologists here. We've got a LONG way to go in this country still. I'm not watching roots, didn't watch 12 years a slave because I don't need to be reminded how terrible it was. Just like I turn the channel when holocaust stuff comes on. I simply don't want to see it. But when folks talk about how terrible those things in human history were I won't do anything but agree with them. That's simply all you should do as a human being capable of compassion and empathy. And dare I say most of the folks in this thread are likely Christ followers as well.

No it sounds like you are obsessed with this stuff and just want to argue ... Did I not say the renecks in the South in the 60s were worse .....who in this thread said they were mad at Obama...nobody is dismissing anything....it fvcking happened but people have to GET OVER IT so they can move on ...Dwelling on this crap promotes and extends racial tension and yes Obama has done his share at times to contribute to that

Reactions: poates6

Sorry you missed that one. Others have intimated toward the same. I don't have time to reread all of them for you.

I said it merits reflection. If, in the case of Georgetown and the Maryland Jesuits, there was a profit in selling slaves and they are able to locate the descendants of those slaves then a case can be made for reconciliation between those parties if at all possible. That doesn't necessarily mean financial payments.

It is not guilt that I am carrying with me but a recognition that a wrong has been done and - believe it or not - to this day things are not equal in this country between white and black. Look at the differences in public school quality; look at the differences in home ownership rates; look at wealth statistics; look at employment rates; look at the blind tests on resumes when employers are given identical resumes one featuring a likely White person's name and another a likely Black person's name. (White people are far more likely to be called for an interview.) To suggest all of this is due to "bad choices" by Blacks is to deny that discrimination from years ago put Blacks in many cases between a rock and a hard place that is to this day restricting upward mobility.

Let's look at this from a rational perspective. We have Brazil as a great representative. They abolished slavery in 1888. 15 percent of the population was slaves. Greater than the us in 1860. There is no reason the US wouldn't have followed the same path

I should also point out that there were still some plantations found in the 1980s in rural Brazil. I would assume the same in rural Mississippi and Louisiana. It would not be an instant your free. Because where would the ex-slaves go. It would be a process.

I said it merits reflection. If, in the case of Georgetown and the Maryland Jesuits, there was a profit in selling slaves and they are able to locate the descendants of those slaves then a case can be made for reconciliation between those parties if at all possible. That doesn't necessarily mean financial payments.

It is not guilt that I am carrying with me but a recognition that a wrong has been done and - believe it or not - to this day things are not equal in this country between white and black. Look at the differences in public school quality; look at the differences in home ownership rates; look at wealth statistics; look at employment rates; look at the blind tests on resumes when employers are given identical resumes one featuring a likely White person's name and another a likely Black person's name. (White people are far more likely to be called for an interview.) To suggest all of this is due to "bad choices" by Blacks is to deny that discrimination from years ago put Blacks in many cases between a rock and a hard place that is to this day restricting upward mobility.

XCUDB

Government overreach and enslavement is a huge reason for the problems you just stated. Things aren't equal now. Plenty of laws have been put in place to give one individual a better opportunity than another. Again, government overreach.

If you honestly think trying to make people today answer for things done hundreds of years ago is better for progress in our country than just letting things go I don't know what to tell you. We clearly don't see the same world. Focusing on what divides us will further divide us. More importantly focusing on making people answer for what divided us when they had nothing to do with it will cause the type of civil unrest this country hasn't seen.

Again, my ancestors were slaves, I've moved on. Nothing else I can do

One thing from this back and forth is clear - the minute someone says anything that can be perceived, even in the slightest fashion, as negative about the south, some people on this board will 100% flip their shit. Happens every time. Even if it's about something as atrocious as slavery.

OP here. I did not get my history from television. I read the Haley book after the airing of the first Roots miniseries. Haley went to Africa and did copious research on his family. Kunta Kinte was his actual great, great, great grandfather, or something like that. He was interested in his heritage and ending up writing Roots. Someone said that the book was better than both miniseries, and I would agree with that. Hollywood embellishes EVERYTHING so of course they would embellish Roots. Yes the story is fiction, but according to Haley's research the characters were real people, and relatives of his.

As for Ron Munson and others. And the horse you rode in on. This is a Clemson football board mostly, but Cris has given us the right to go off topic. I find a good deal of the OT stuff is quite interesting. No need to bring down others on what topics they want to discuss. It must be a popular thread, as over 100 subscribers have chimed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: KansasClemson215
I shouldn't get into this, but what the hell

1) Slavery was atrocious. Period.
2) Every other nation abolished it without a massive war killing 700,000 people. Some countries did just like our government does now:
pay people to give up slaves, where now we pay farmers not to plant and fishermen not to fish. And no, I am not equating these things, just pointing out what could have been an option.
3) for #2 above and other things, Lincoln was an idiot and a war criminal. So was Sherman

You are really bad at history. It was the South that fired the first shot. Lincoln tried to encourage a go slow route but the South literally jumped the gun.

OP here. I did not get my history from television. I read the Haley book after the airing of the first Roots miniseries. Haley went to Africa and did copious research on his family. Kunta Kinte was his actual great, great, great grandfather, or something like that. He was interested in his heritage and ending up writing Roots. Someone said that the book was better than both miniseries, and I would agree with that. Hollywood embellishes EVERYTHING so of course they would embellish Roots. Yes the story is fiction, but according to Haley's research the characters were real people, and relatives of his.

As for Ron Munson and others. And the horse you rode in on. This is a Clemson football board mostly, but Cris has given us the right to go off topic. I find a good deal of the OT stuff is quite interesting. No need to bring down others on what topics they want to discuss. It must be a popular thread, as over 100 subscribers have chimed in.

These guys have no problem going off topic as long as you believe like they do. If you had posted that Roots portrayed slavery too harsh then Munson would have given you a Like. It is intellectually dishonest to say "This does not belong here one minute" and then the next minute give a like for someone saying Memorial Day is really a Civil War Holiday for the South. This happened to me yesterday with Munson so don't take it personal. @Ron Munson I actually like some of Munson's stuff and I think he can be hilarious but he loves to decry "foul" anytime something does not fit in to his line of thinking and he is not the only one that does that on here either so I hate to just single him out. Really, if ppl have the opinion that anything non football related does not belong then they should not hit like for the 90 percent of the non football right wing political stuff and scream "How dare you" for the 10 percent of the more left leaning political stuff. But sometimes the right wingers do not use consistent logic (Trump)

Sad video, I'm hoping you are posting it sarcastically because you can't really believe that can you?
He's an ex Clemson DB that probably had zero debt and could name half a dozen jobs to pick from after college if he wasn't making millions in the NFL somehow I'm to believe he had some inherent built in disadvantage and We have an inside lane to success.

Reactions: poates6
The ignorance and lack of empathy displayed by many on here never ceases to amaze me. If you simply imagined yourselves in the shoes of ancestors of slaves, I'm pretty sure the opinion that it is what it is, or slaves were done a favor, or slavery was ok because it was a product of that time in history, would quickly change.

Soooooooo here is my problem with the bold. Should people of Irish and Scottish descent demand the same? I mean, the Irish and Scottish we being enslaved, raped, considered a lesser "race", and butchered a 1000 years before the first African set foot in the new world as a slave.

Slavery is bad, racism is bad, not sure why we as a society continue to remind ourselves of just how shitty humans can be to each other ..... Oh that's right, there is a buck to be made in race baiting.

I think it was the Egyptians fault. And king Nebuchadnezzar. Babylon. A lot of history is very tough. The Jews, Indians, Irish, Africans

Pretty sure you need to re-read. It clearly says that Georgetown parish recognizes that it should do something. No one is asking anything of you, including the poster.

Good try though...

I'll interject for a minute and say a few things.
#1 The world was and still is a very dark place. Many of the Africans were wrong for enslaving their neighbors. I won't call them brothers because they often were very different culturally and linguistically speaking. They often were in conflict with each other and had serious rivalries.
#2 The slavers and slaveowners were wrong for participating but were raised in it. In other words, they should be held accountable for their actions but understand that they were following a precedent formed by every major civilization before.
#3 Slavery was often very bad and even if they weren't beaten they were worked to the bone and families were split up. Aside from the occasional beatings and familial separation, other forms of labor were similar for just about everyone up until the explosion of the middle class in the 1950's. Again there is still a stark contrast between being a poor white family in the 1890 and a slave family in 1790 but neither situation was good or offered much in the way of moving up in society.
So we should all be able to agree that the there were some great evils committed in our world. Almost every civilization has had slaves, there have been countless genocides and pointless wars, gender inequality, and child labor. What we should also understand is that societies change and when there is wealth and some semblance of democracy things are more fair but probably never quite equal. However, for the vast majority of civilized history, people have been ruled over by the elite and if you weren't elite things were just different degrees of bad. Poor in the Industrial Revolution= bad, black in the Americas circa 1800's= terrible, poor in Russia in the 1900's= also terrible. Atrocities are committed by people all the time and it doesn't hurt to look back as well as forward. We need to feel the sting emotionally but also react rationally.
Well said

+100

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT