ADVERTISEMENT

"Roots" has been hard to watch.

Assuming you haven't read all the responses justifying or diminishing slavery bc it was what people did back then. Scroll up
Piss off. That's some lazy shit. If you make a claim tag the poster, quote the post and hold the poster accountable. I say that because I've yet to see anyone condone slavery. Quit making up shit or prove me wrong.

I blame Ross Perot.
Assuming you haven't read all the responses justifying or diminishing slavery bc it was what people did back then. Scroll up

I'm sorry. I typically try not to be an ass, but this thread obviously went over your head. No one tried to justify slavery nor tried to diminish it. Some folks tried to put it into perspective.

One can lead the horse to water. In some instances it is up to the dumbass horse to drink it.

Piss off. That's some lazy shit. If you make a claim tag the poster, quote the post and hold the poster accountable. I say that because I've yet to see anyone condone slavery. Quit making up shit or prove me wrong.

Cool. If you're too lazy to read through before commenting, that's on you, fella. It's right there clear as day. Talking about me being lazy. Lol

I blame Ross Perot.

I'm sorry. I typically try not to be an ass, but this thread obviously went over your head. No one tried to justify slavery nor tried to diminish it. Some folks tried to put it into perspective.

One can lead the horse to water. In some instances it is up to the dumbass horse to drink it.

Nothing went over my head whatsoever. Obviously you missed a lot as you read through. And being that I'm one of many commenting on people downplaying slavery, I'm not the only one who was able to comprehend. You and your friend SWU can get your panties in a bunch over it, but there are numerous posters in this thread that obviously tried to justify slavery. You're not reading through the commentary with an open mind, which is fine. But, no need to throw insults. It makes you look like one of the immature ones that lack empathy and open-mindedness that I referenced above. Or as you called yourself, an "ass". Time to wake up my friend...

Cool. If you're too lazy to read through before commenting, that's on you, fella. It's right there clear as day. Talking about me being lazy. Lol
The onus is on you. YOU made the statement not me. I questioned that statement and you can't back it up. Where is it "clear as day"? If it was that easy (after 4 pages) then you could easily quote the post and tag the poster. Fvck outta here...

The onus is on you. YOU made the statement not me. I questioned that statement and you can't back it up. Where is it "clear as day"? If it was that easy (after 4 pages) then you could easily quote the post and tag the poster. Fvck outta here...

Definitely no onus on me. If you can't comprehend what was written or refuse to read all the commentary, that's on you. Probably should just keep your comments to yourself though if you did not do your due diligence prior to commenting. Either way, I could care less.

Pretty sure you need to re-read. It clearly says that Georgetown parish recognizes that it should do something. No one is asking anything of you, including the poster.

Good try though...

Do yourself a favor and try increasing your reading comprehension skills. I know I don't owe anyone anything. My point is that nobody alive today should be held responsible for atrocities hundreds of years ago. No matter what the atrocity was.

Stop reading and thinking so emotionally that it clouds your ability to think rationally.

My point has been all along that continuing to bring up things that divide instead of focusing on things that unite us will only cause further division. Let it go, it's over. Stop holding yourself back by living in the past.

Definitely no onus on me. If you can't comprehend what was written or refuse to read all the commentary, that's on you. Probably should just keep your comments to yourself though if you did not do your due diligence prior to commenting. Either way, I could care less.

Damnit you're trying to say "I couldnt care less" not "I could care less".

Please take a break, walk away, you can't lack this much intelligence. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Damnit you're trying to say "I couldnt care less" not "I could care less".

Please take a break, walk away, you can't lack this much intelligence. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Lmao! This guy calls out a grammatical issue and uses a run-on sentence in the same response. Well played, sir.

I've never lacked intelligence. But, what you are lacking is anything of substance when you all you can come back with is insults and no insightful facts.

Good try again. Want to go for strike 3?

In the words of our resident pal @Ron Munson...sweet baby Jesus...YOU made the claim. It is not up to me to prove you right. That is up to you.

Lmao! This guy calls out a grammatical issue and uses a run-on sentence in the same response. Well played, sir.

I've never lacked intelligence. But, what you are lacking is anything of substance when you all you can come back with is insults and no insightful facts.

Good try again. Want to go for strike 3?

I really feel for you. I'm really trying to help you. You can't read and process what you read. At least you haven't displayed that ability here.

The fact is you made an incorrect statement. Is that enough of a fact for you? You asked me to show you who had brought certain points up in this discussion and I showed you. You failed to comprehend this and then tell me I have no substance.

You need help. Seriously, not name calling or hurling insults. I hope you get it.

Ok you bitches, I've been following this thread since 6:15 am. I try to never get involved in religous or political threads. You can't win no matter which side you fall on. Having said that I will give my thoughts and a little history lesson. I collect Confederate currency as a hobby. Not for any reason other than I appreciate the artistry and history of the piece. I am very Southern, so I will tell you that yes I do get upset when you speak negatively about my side of the country, as a few of you have alluded too. The War Between The States, not the civil war, was started because the South would not take being under represented anymore. Lincoln being elected was the final straw. No more would we put up with this bullshit. The war was started because the South would not stand for this anymore. Lincoln had no problem with slavery he only wanted to keep the union together. Once he realized that he wasn't going to win, he changed his plan. After three years of getting beat, he brought slavery into the equation to get more people on his side. This has been documented plenty. Slavery is wrong no matter how you look at it. But to condemn the South because of it, when so many states were doing it, is "Stupid". I've read my history, have you?

Pretty sure this is the response to just about every movie, or series that comes out about slavery or civil rights. A lot of people seem really annoyed by these movies try to diminish everything that happened, and try to act like they are being forced to feel bad about it.

But if a movie comes out about the halocaust and those same people can't get enough of it.

I have a theory that a lot of the people who speak so negatively about the slavery movies really just feel awkward about the whole thing and don't know how else to react. No one's asking you to feel guilty about it just because they talk about it.

Reactions: Charleston3383
Do yourself a favor and try increasing your reading comprehension skills. I know I don't owe anyone anything. My point is that nobody alive today should be held responsible for atrocities hundreds of years ago. No matter what the atrocity was.

Stop reading and thinking so emotionally that it clouds your ability to think rationally.

My point has been all along that continuing to bring up things that divide instead of focusing on things that unite us will only cause further division. Let it go, it's over. Stop holding yourself back by living in the past.

Once again posting irrelavant topics. I believe you are finding it very difficult to follow the thread and bringing up points you may have utilized in another discussion.

I'm definitely not living in the past or holding myself back. I've been extremely blessed to be forward thinking and able to prosper.

In the words of our resident pal @Ron Munson...sweet baby Jesus...YOU made the claim. It is not up to me to prove you right. That is up to you.

Pretty sure "sweet baby Jesus" didn't come from any one on this board.

Once again posting irrelavant topics. I believe you are finding it very difficult to follow the thread and bringing up points you may have utilized in another discussion.

I'm definitely not living in the past or holding myself back. I've been extremely blessed to be forward thinking and able to prosper.

What part of Charlotte are you prospering in. Want to make sure I avoid it.

What part of Charlotte are you prospering in. Want to make sure I avoid it.

Live in Southeast Charlotte and also own a condo in uptown Charlotte as well. Both nice areas, so I would hate for you to miss out. Don't let your disdain for me bc we don't see eye to eye take away from visiting good areas with a lot to offer. It's really not that serious.

Reactions: andcam

So you can't prove what you posted. Got it. Typical liberal.

So you can't prove what you posted. Got it. Typical liberal.

Independent FYI

I will never tie myself to one party. I actually consider all the issues when looking at candidates.

I thought I made it clear that I'm not going to prove anything to you. You're being too lazy to read through. If you did, you will see close-minded comments that tried to minimize slavery. Typical Deep South conservatives...

I know there's racist rednecks out there, but to me, the biggest racist in the country are by far liberals. It's plain too see.

Independent FYI

I will never tie myself to one party. I actually consider all the issues when looking at candidates.

I thought I made it clear that I'm not going to prove anything to you. You're being too lazy to read through. If you did, you will see close-minded comments that tried to minimize slavery. Typical Deep South conservatives...
Again you fail to prove YOUR point when challenged. Goodness you're a mental midget.

Again you fail to prove YOUR point when challenged. Goodness you're a mental midget.

Lol @ mental midget. Ironically, that was my college coach's term for guys like you who get all emo over every little thing. When backed into a corner and void of anything factual, you revert to name calling and failed attempts at jabs. That is truly a mental midget.

For some reason you think I owe you an explanation or you are challenging me. I've clearly stated that I'm not doing the work for you because you're too lazy to read through a thread. Not sure what else you want. We can go tit for tat on it all night. I'm on a red eye back from the West Coast so you are easy entertainment at this point for the price of GoGo inflight Internet.

Damn Jews & that Hitler/Holocaust Thing! & All that KKK & Skin Heads just continue to try & hold people down...damn!

4868 is pretty much historically correct. Slavery was on its way out and would have "ended" in the US (it was abolished in all other advanced countries) without the Civil War because, as we now know, the Civil War had more to do with the creation of money than human capital, i.e. the North could create it while the South could not.

This is the major FACT not taught in our public school systems, we are all taught that the Civil Wars primary cause was to free people. Well.... if that is the case, why is it that there are more slaves (by definition) today than at any point in human history? Why is there not any "Civil Wars" to free all of these people around the world?

To be honest, Roots is a perfect example of how f*cked up humans get over economics. Just as we are today, we have created slaves world-wide, in every country, just to gain monetary "advantages" over another. Pure insanity!
So what phlight did Your Ancestors endured in this Free Country!? Please tell me why Every Southern Leader stated & emphasized the importance of maintaining ownership of Their Slaves as justification for the Civil War? Does the United States of America have Legal People Ownership known as Slavery Today?

It is sad that you bought into the narrative that the Civil War & economics & economics did not include People Ownership!

What some should do is try to imagine the world if the Europeans did not bring African slaves to the "New World".

I realize that this may not go over well, but there are a lot of people who do a lot of bitching about living in the greatest country in the history of the world who would likely not exist.

In the long run and grand scheme of things some people are better off because of it.

Again, I realize that some will see that as warped, racist or whatever, but if you look at it rationally and without the emotional blinders it is true.

Some folks existence is the silver lining if you will.

You don't have to imagine "Europeans" bringing slaves to the new world because they DIDNT. The slave trade was ran by the Spanish and Portuguese, these are not exactly what you would call Europeans in the traditional sense because how many towns (east coast) in this country were settled by them? Maybe a few in Florida before the slave trade, but that's it.

Every one fanaticizes this image of the "white" man boating over Africans, when in FACT it was brown people (Mediterranean) doing the job. This doesn't justify anything, just pointing out how warped events have become over time.

Ok you bitches, I've been following this thread since 6:15 am. I try to never get involved in religous or political threads. You can't win no matter which side you fall on. Having said that I will give my thoughts and a little history lesson. I collect Confederate currency as a hobby. Not for any reason other than I appreciate the artistry and history of the piece. I am very Southern, so I will tell you that yes I do get upset when you speak negatively about my side of the country, as a few of you have alluded too. The War Between The States, not the civil war, was started because the South would not take being under represented anymore. Lincoln being elected was the final straw. No more would we put up with this bullshit. The war was started because the South would not stand for this anymore. Lincoln had no problem with slavery he only wanted to keep the union together. Once he realized that he wasn't going to win, he changed his plan. After three years of getting beat, he brought slavery into the equation to get more people on his side. This has been documented plenty. Slavery is wrong no matter how you look at it. But to condemn the South because of it, when so many states were doing it, is "Stupid". I've read my history, have you?

Let me guess, when you say "war between the States" and "under represented", you are insinuating that this was over States rights? I hope your answer is no.

Sounds to me like you've read propaganda.

You don't have to imagine "Europeans" bringing slaves to the new world because they DIDNT. The slave trade was ran by the Spanish and Portuguese, these are not exactly what you would call Europeans in the traditional sense because how many towns (east coast) in this country were settled by them? Maybe a few in Florida before the slave trade, but that's it.

Every one fanaticizes this image of the "white" man boating over Africans, when in FACT it was brown people (Mediterranean) doing the job. This doesn't justify anything, just pointing out how warped events have become over time.

Uh....I am not sure where you are coming from with that. Last time I checked Spain and Portugal were and are still on the European continent. If you would please define "Europeans in the traditional sense" so that I can better understand your contention that Europeans did not take slaves to the new world.

Just looking for a little clarification on your statement, thank you.

Pretty sure this is the response to just about every movie, or series that comes out about slavery or civil rights. A lot of people seem really annoyed by these movies try to diminish everything that happened, and try to act like they are being forced to feel bad about it.

But if a movie comes out about the halocaust and those same people can't get enough of it.

I have a theory that a lot of the people who speak so negatively about the slavery movies really just feel awkward about the whole thing and don't know how else to react. No one's asking you to feel guilty about it just because they talk about it.

I almost miss the good old days when everyone had a football program to bitch about all the time. This football utopia we are living in now has created a vacuum on this board. Not that I want to go back to those days but there was a lot more agreement when the subject of the day was Spence and bubble screens.

bemjJkh.gif

Reactions: bwhwc
Government overreach and enslavement is a huge reason for the problems you just stated. Things aren't equal now. Plenty of laws have been put in place to give one individual a better opportunity than another. Again, government overreach.

If you honestly think trying to make people today answer for things done hundreds of years ago is better for progress in our country than just letting things go I don't know what to tell you. We clearly don't see the same world. Focusing on what divides us will further divide us. More importantly focusing on making people answer for what divided us when they had nothing to do with it will cause the type of civil unrest this country hasn't seen.

Again, my ancestors were slaves, I've moved on. Nothing else I can do
Are we talking about Irish indentured servants or folks brought over in chains and sold at the auction?

Huh? Have you ever been to Spain or Portugal? People there aren't 'brown skinned.' Sounds like you are implying 'people of color' enslaved other people of color ... not Northern (read, "really, really WHITE people) Europeans.

Sheesh. This thread is really something.

I am sure we can all agree on one thing: Slavery under any situation - whether it was the Ancient Egyptians or Americans 'owning' other human beings - was and IS wrong. And there is really no legitimate rationale for it.

That was pretty funny.

I will say, no one is asking you to be guilty if you watch those movies. If you feel guilt when you watch those movies then that's on you.

Are black people the only people that aren't supposed to make movies about their history, just because it makes your ancestors look bad? Sorry, but like 99% of major events black history in America involves racism.

And yes, some of the stuff in the movies like the one about the swimmers is probably embellished a bit, but guess what?!? It's a movie! Just like what some of the comedian was saying was embellished, because its a comedy routine.

When we watch one of those movies, we're not looking for every white person in the theatre to come and apologize after. It's just a movie.

Oh and about what Bill Burr said about the pool. That's acid he's pouring in there, just saying. It was still funny though

Motel+manager+pouring+acid+in+the+water+when+black+people+swam+in+his+pool,+1964.jpg

It was, is, a terrible thing. Also, remember that most were sold into slavery by other Africans. I just hope that my black brethren do not hold it against me if I don't self flagellate with a cat of nine tails for something that happened nearly two centuries ago.

That was pretty funny.

I will say, no one is asking you to be guilty if you watch those movies. If you feel guilt when you watch those movies then that's on you.

Are black people the only people that aren't supposed to make movies about their history, just because it makes your ancestors look bad? Sorry, but like 99% of major events black history in America involves racism.

And yes, some of the stuff in the movies like the one about the swimmers is probably embellished a bit, but guess what?!? It's a movie! Just like what some of the comedian was saying was embellished, because its a comedy routine.

When we watch one of those movies, we're not looking for every white person in the theatre to come and apologize after. It's just a movie.

Just trying to lighten the mood in here. No more no less. I don't really care one way or another. If I want to watch Roots/The Butler/Insert Movie Name about racism here I will and if I don't I won't. Black people can make a movie about whatever they want but to say "it makes my ancestors look bad" is pretty funny considering you have no idea who my ancestors are

Slavey was ending? Fantastic!

What year would slavery have been abolished without the civil war? With it, it was 1865.

Slavery is till alive and well

Just Google it Modern Day Slavery

More Prevalent as far as numbers of people now than it was in 1865

Just trying to lighten the mood in here. No more no less. I don't really care one way or another. If I want to watch Roots/The Butler/Insert Movie Name about racism here I will and if I don't I won't. Black people can make a movie about whatever they want but to say "it makes my ancestors look bad" is pretty funny considering you have no idea who my ancestors are
I was using you/your in a broad sense for the entire thread, not just for you specifically.

And for the record, the Butler had racism from both whites and blacks. There were just as many very helpful white people as there were racist ones.

Uh....I am not sure where you are coming from with that. Last time I checked Spain and Portugal were and are still on the European continent. If you would please define "Europeans in the traditional sense" so that I can better understand your contention that Europeans did not take slaves to the new world.

Just looking for a little clarification on your statement, thank you.

My point is, are you Spanish or Portuguese?
I am pretty sure you and I and 99. something% of all the other people on this board will say no. So, as a white person (of Caucasian descent, NOT Mediterranean), our ancestors had NOTHING to do with capturing or actually delivering slaves. What "traditional Europeans" did do, is create the environment of demand, i.e. demand is a healthy driver of supply in economics. Does this clarify?

Huh? Have you ever been to Spain or Portugal? People there aren't 'brown skinned.' Sounds like you are implying 'people of color' enslaved other people of color ... not Northern (read, "really, really WHITE people) Europeans.

Sheesh. This thread is really something.

I am sure we can all agree on one thing: Slavery under any situation - whether it was the Ancient Egyptians or Americans 'owning' other human beings - was and IS wrong. And there is really no legitimate rationale for it.

I am not implying anything, I am telling you people of color DID enslave people of color. Why do you imply that there is some hidden "rationale" in a post like mine? I am not rationalizing anything, you don't have to when these are documented historical facts known throughout the world.

What I am saying is the traditional belief that my ancestors (German, Irish, Swedish, Native American, etc) were slave traders! They didn't have a damn thing to do with gathering human beings from another continent or shipping them over here. What some of them DID do is create demand and then own them after they got here. There is a difference between the two but both are equally appalling and despicable!

Are we talking about Irish indentured servants or folks brought over in chains and sold at the auction?

Exactly! If people on this board only knew that our history is full of Irish slaves in this country who were actually sold for LESS money than African slaves. This country has perpetrated some of the most heinous acts against humanity, it blows your mind.

ADVERTISEMENT