ADVERTISEMENT

"Roots" has been hard to watch.

Exactly! If people on this board only knew that our history is full of Irish slaves in this country who were actually sold for LESS money than African slaves. This country has perpetrated some of the most heinous acts against humanity, it blows your mind.

...and it continues on to this very day in the form of human trafficking/sex slavery. As long as there is a "demand", there will always be people willing to "supply".

look at the blind tests on resumes when employers are given identical resumes one featuring a likely White person's name and another a likely Black person's name. (White people are far more likely to be called for an interview.)
Well, when I was much younger (I am 50 now) we all had "white people's names". I grew up with Andrew, Kenny, Robert, Russell, Danny, Karen, Lisa etc. I didn't grow up with Quantisha, D'shantell, Montisha, LaAngel, etc. Why is that? Why when everyone started getting "equal rights" did the black community want to start giving their children "black people's names"? If you think their is so much racism in the world, why would you give your child a name that would separate them from the "majority public"? Just curious.

As a genealogist, I deal with a variety of records and documents (i.e.census and property records), and it pains me to see a human being regarded as property to buy and sell. Sadly, I've had slave owners and slave traders in my family, but I've also found others that were helping the slaves to freedom in Ohio. This was a sad time in American history and a hard time for the African-Americans. Yet, through tragedy came perseverance, and through perseverance came opportunity, opportunity to now call America your home. There still need for improvement though, so we all need to keep working at it.

Reactions: Charleston3383
Well, when I was much younger (I am 50 now) we all had "white people's names". I grew up with Andrew, Kenny, Robert, Russell, Danny, Karen, Lisa etc. I didn't grow up with Quantisha, D'shantell, Montisha, LaAngel, etc. Why is that? Why when everyone started getting "equal rights" did the black community want to start giving their children "black people's names"? If you think their is so much racism in the world, why would you give your child a name that would separate them from the "majority public"? Just curious.

I agree 100000%. Black people, Hispanic and Arab people should just name their kinds white names. They are basically asking to be discriminated against otherwise.

Reactions: The Mixed Mamba
I imagine because its a part of the struggle to establish their own identity. Just as the southern identity and heritage is important to many here, having a african-american identity is important to them. Names are an expression of identity. You ask, 'why would they want to separate themselves from the majority(or, let's be honest, european-american tradition)?' They don't have to. That's been done for them. Why would they want to try and conform to cultural norms when they feel like they'll never really be accepted by that culture anyway?

I imagine because its a part of the struggle to establish their own identity. Just as the southern identity and heritage is important to many here, having a african-american identity is important to them. Names are an expression of identity. You ask, 'why would they want to separate themselves from the majority(or, let's be honest, european-american tradition)?' They don't have to. That's been done for them. Why would they want to try and conform to cultural norms when they feel like they'll never really be accepted by that culture anyway?
Why would you want to "have your own identity" and want to be treated equally at the same time? Just doesn't make sense. But then again, I am a middle aged white man what would I know.

What about names like Antwan, Deion, Marcus, Lamar?

They don't have to. That's been done for them. Why would they want to try and conform to cultural norms when they feel like they'll never really be accepted by that culture anyway?

So let me get this straight. I was born in 1965, over 50 years ago. Blacks had it a lot worse then they do now but at that time changes were happening and things were getting better. They were getting to be more equal to whites and then about 20-30 years ago they said, "hey, we want to be treated like white people but we don't want to be like white people so let's start giving our kids weird names (and I am not even saying African names because I am not sure these names even originated in Africa)." Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.

Why would you want to "have your own identity" and want to be treated equally at the same time? Just doesn't make sense. But then again, I am a middle aged white man what would I know.

I am a middle-aged white guy too, several years older than you, in fact. But one needn't even consider the names you suggested. Something along the lines of Anthony Jefferson, Robert Washington, or Johnny Williams are sufficient clues to suggest a black applicant.

But, Lordy, suggesting that everyone conform to Anglo-sounding names?

Are you aware that before you are likely to die that America may well be a majority minority nation? What names will be the best for children then?

What about names like Antwan, Deion, Marcus, Lamar?

I know some white people named Lamar, Deion and Marcus. Can't say I know one named Antwan. But in general, 50 years ago, everybody's name pretty much sounded like if you got a resume you couldn't tell if they were black or white, but now days when I get a resume of someone younger, 99% of the time I can tell you if they are black or white by just looking at the name. And if you think I am racist, then why not give your child a name that I will cause me to contact and get in for an interview and then when your foot is in the door, try and impress me with your accomplishments, abilities, ethics etc.

So let me get this straight. I was born in 1965, over 50 years ago. Blacks had it a lot worse then they do now but at that time changes were happening and things were getting better. They were getting to be more equal to whites and then about 20-30 years ago they said, "hey, we want to be treated like white people but we don't want to be like white people so let's start giving our kids weird names (and I am not even saying African names because I am not sure these names even originated in Africa)." Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.

And, damn, how about those ASIAN people in America. I mean, why don't some Vietnamese people change their name from, say, Nguyen to Winn since it is pronounced the same? But of course some are sneaky: all those Koreans with the last name of Park. That's done just to confuse white middle aged Americans to think they, too, are white.

Those Blacks ... they were "getting to be more equal to whites" and they just went and blew it. C'mon, did I really read that????

I bet you tell yourself you aren't racist too.

I am a middle-aged white guy too, several years older than you, in fact. But one needn't even consider the names you suggested. Something along the lines of Anthony Jefferson, Robert Washington, or Johnny Williams are sufficient clues to suggest a black applicant.

I honestly wouldn't have thought those names to be black. In my day, those names went both ways. I know a lot of white people with the names Anthony, Robert and John(ny).

I know some white people named Lamar, Deion and Marcus. Can't say I know one named Antwan. But in general, 50 years ago, everybody's name pretty much sounded like if you got a resume you couldn't tell if they were black or white, but now days when I get a resume of someone younger, 99% of the time I can tell you if they are black or white by just looking at the name. And if you think I am racist, then why not give your child a name that I will cause me to contact and get in for an interview and then when your foot is in the door, try and impress me with your accomplishments, abilities, ethics etc.

I am just going out on a limb here but I don't think anyone named Antwan is interested in or would enjoy working for you so it probably all works out for the best.

You just proved you are racist with this posting. Unbelievable. So you won't consider someone as a legitimate applicant unless they sound white.

And then you will argue that Blacks are the reason they are not enjoining the fruits of America's economy.

Can we please give this thread a mercy killing?
mercy-kill-2.gif

And, damn, how about those ASIAN people in America. I mean, why don't some Vietnamese people change their name from, say, Nguyen to Winn since it is pronounced the same? But of course some are sneaky: all those Koreans with the last name of Park. That's done just to confuse white middle aged Americans to think they, too, are white.

Those Blacks ... they were "getting to be more equal to whites" and they just went and blew it. C'mon, did I really read that????

I bet you tell yourself you aren't racist too.

I was basically raised by a black woman and around her family all my life. And by the way, her kid's names were Lisa, Ken and Danny.

When I said "getting to be more equal" what I meant was in the eyes of the law and they eyes of the public. I was one of the first classes to go all the way through school with intergration. But I do remember as a kid going to a doctors office that had two waiting rooms, one for blacks and one for whites. I haven't seen that in the last 35 years.

You can twist my words all you want. I am not a racist. As long as you are a law abiding, positive member of society you are more than welcome to work for me (or before I owned my own business, with me. I just wanted to clarify that so you wouldn't accuse me of being a slave owner or something) or put your feet under my dinner table.

I was so pissed last night (Wednesday) that "Roots" was on the History Channel instead of American Picker's! Not only was it on the History channel but two other channels at the same time!! WTC!!

I was basically raised by a black woman and around her family all my life.

And just to let you know what she meant to me (I don't think they were here kids I think they were her grandkids because she was much older, almost grandmotherly age). When I graduated high school and before I headed off to college, by myself I reroofed three people's houses that I knew sweating my ass of under the South Carolina sun. I found out that her roof had been leaking and some of it was rotten. She couldn't afford to have it repaired by someone, but when I found out, I too my money that I had busted my ass for, bought the shingles and the plywood and redid her entire roof and didn't charge her a penny. And this was in early July in the middle of the heat of summer. I grew up dirt poor so it wasn't just extra money I had laying around.

You and I both know that the vast majority of the pepole with those names are black.

No offense meant to you, but the second of your post seems pretty ignorant and racist. Seems like maybe you could those people a chance to actually prove you wrong instead of you profiling them based on a name.

You just proved you are racist with this posting. Unbelievable. So you won't consider someone as a legitimate applicant unless they sound white.

And then you will argue that Blacks are the reason they are not enjoining the fruits of America's economy.

No, just said "if you think I am racist then why give me the ability to be racist".

You and I both know that the vast majority of the pepole with those names are black.

No offense meant to you, but the second of your post seems pretty ignorant and racist. Seems like maybe you could those people a chance to actually prove you wrong instead of you profiling them based on a name.

Again, I said "if you THINK that people are racist, then don't give them the ability to be an outright racist". I don't care of you are blue, pink, purple or whatever color. I will hire anyone that can do the job.

But, Lordy, suggesting that everyone conform to Anglo-sounding names?

Are you aware that before you are likely to die that America may well be a majority minority nation? What names will be the best for children then?
Well, you can say that about "white" names as well, especially older southern names. If you looked at the proper names even in my family, you would deem them "black" names. Matter of fact, people have looked at my dad's name and told him they thought he was going to be a black man. Same with my mom - but as being an AA woman. Maybe it held them back. Thing was, it was really really old names, named after relatives in the 1800s.

Posts like this, and reading some of the racist replies, make me sad to be from the south. Racism, in its most basic form, is still alive and well. This thread confirms.

Well, you can say that about "white" names as well, especially older southern names. If you looked at the proper names even in my family, you would deem them "black" names. Matter of fact, people have looked at my dad's name and told him they thought he was going to be a black man. Same with my mom - but as being an AA woman. Maybe it held them back. Thing was, it was really really old names, named after relatives in the 1800s.

Guess that's why they chose to name you TigerDutch, so you wouldn't have to go through the same burdens as they did! Just hope those folks from Holland don't do anything stupid that would cause a setback for you. ;)

Again, I said "if you THINK that people are racist, then don't give them the ability to be an outright racist". I don't care of you are blue, pink, purple or whatever color. I will hire anyone that can do the job.
How the hell is that giving anyone the ability to be racist? No one can give a person the ability to be racist. People can only choose to be racist.

Not trying to marginalize that the owning of another human being is wrong because it is plain and simple. However, The owning of slaves was very, very expensive. Slave owners were more akin to the 1%ers nowadays. It was similar to purchasing a car nowadays 100% upfront in cash. Not only that but you had to feed, clothe, and house them. Slaves were beaten, yes, but not as widespread as you might believe. If you beat a slave so severely to where they could not work or to the point of death, they were no good in the fields. Sure there were more slaves in the South as at that time we were an agrarian society and as much as 75-80% of the entire country's taxes were paid for by the Southern states at the time of the Civil War(probably the single biggest reason Lincoln wouldn't let the Southern States secede and be on their way but that's an entire different debate). Slavery was heading out with the turn of the industrial revolution anyways as those pesky 1%ers, always looking to make a profit, would have invested in machinery rather than human capital that, again, had to be clothed, fed, and housed thus eating into their margins.

Not even mentioning the fact that less than ~10% of slaves that were brought to the Americas were brought to the colonies and eventual states, the vast, vast majority of them ended up in South America and the Caribbean as to work in the colonies of the European countries.

So many slaves were brought because, if any of you have children and try to get them to do something they really don't want to do, you'll understand this, slaves typically don't make very good workers. Try getting little Jimmy to rake leaves or limb trees and you'll find he's not very efficient unless there is some sort of compensation involved.

Also, slavery is almost as old as prostitution and still exists in this world today as sad as that is to say.

This is arguably the most racist/ridiculous thing I've seen in 8 years on the board. And you got 10 likes for it.

Amazing.

Reword or take it however you want to. You know what I mean.
Reword it? Your exact words were, "Again, I said "if you THINK that people are racist, then don't give them the ability to be an outright racist"

What exactly did I reword? How was I supposed to take that?

Reword it? Your exact words were, "Again, I said "if you THINK that people are racist, then don't give them the ability to be an outright racist"

What exactly did I reword? How was I supposed to take that?
If someone is a racist, don't give them the ability to discriminate against you based on a resume you send in, make them discriminate against you when you have laid out your abilities, ethics and other items that employers are looking for, or actually educate them on why they should hire you..

Honestly, I was just trying to give a thoughtful answer to your question, but perhaps the question was rhetorical.

If someone is a racist, don't give them the ability to discriminate against you based on a resume you send in, make them discriminate against you when you have laid out your abilities, ethics and other items that employers are looking for, or actually educate them on why they should hire you..

oh, so black people should hide their black sounding names so as to avoid potentially racist white people? I see what you are doing here...

Same logic: Girls who are going to bars (where there might be rapists) should wear hijabs, otherwise, they are just asking for it AMIRITE?!?!?

Its my responsibility to make sure that all the people out there in the world who might not like me because of my choice of hair, or the name my mother gave me, or my clothes, dont have the opportunity to dislike me for those things. I should hide my name, wear different clothes, and get a particular haircut to avoid offending racists. I get it now.

Let me see if I can apply this to my life. Im jewish. @Bosse de Nage thinks my religious group is responsible for pretty much all of the evils in the world. I should tell Bosse that im a christian so that he likes me. Sounds good. sorry heritage! Time to fit in with the anti-Semites!

You realize that's what the other 99% of the resume that doesn't include the applicants name is for right?

Why should anyone have to change who they are to not be discriminated against? Would you expect Wang Chung to change his name so people won't know he is Asian?

...and it continues on to this very day in the form of human trafficking/sex slavery. As long as there is a "demand", there will always be people willing to "supply".
Jesus fvcking shit....Are you basically saying that the US is the largest perpetrator of this? Because the US takes a GD back seat to most of this world. Thailand's sex trade makes the US look like the land of virgins. Slavery? Look no further than where this thread started...Africa. The US is evil on many levels(our Government), but this type activity we don't excel at. CIA drug trafficking is worse.

Jesus fvcking shit....Are you basically saying that the US is the largest perpetrator of this? Because the US takes a GD back seat to most of this world. Thailand's sex trade makes the US look like the land of virgins. Slavery? Look no further than where this thread started...Africa. The US is evil on many levels(our Government), but this type activity we don't excel at. CIA drug trafficking is worse.

Easy big fella. No, I did not mean to imply that at all. The main theme of my post was meant to convey that where there is a demand for something, there will be people willing to supply it; including slavery of all types. I probably didn't make that clear.

I suspect that as soon as the person walked into the room and the (racist) interviewer saw s/he was Black, the applicant isn't going to be given a fair chance. Do you actually believe that a person who would choose not to see an applicant with a clearly Black name will be persuaded to hire them if their name sounded white after the interviewer learned the color of the skin? That makes no sense now does it?

ADVERTISEMENT