Sorrento claims it has COVID-19 cure

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
Sorrento claims it has COVID-19 cure
By: Douglas House - SA Editor

Sorrento Therapeutics (NASDAQ:SRNE) gallops 56% premarket on robust volume in reaction to reports that it has discovered an antibody, dubbed STI-1499, that, it says, can provide 100% inhibition of COVID-19 and flush out the SARS-CoV-2 virus from the body within four days.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure," says CEO Henry Ji. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

The antibody, one of "hundreds" it screened, blocks the coronavirus' spike proteins from attaching to ACE2, a receptor on the surface of healthy cells that serves as a "doorknob" to open the cell to infection.

Ji says STI-1499 can be used as preventative therapy since there are no unwanted side effects, adding that it may be more effective than a vaccine.

The company is partnering with NY-based Mount Sinai to develop an antibody cocktail, Covi-Shield, comprised of three different antibodies, including STI-1499, for prophylactic use. It says it can produce up to 200K doses per month and is looking to produce "tens of millions" to meet demand.

If that's the case, it's in the same boat as Hydroxychloriquine at this point. It was proven to kill the virus as well, in a test tube.

Which makes Ji's comments that there are no unwanted side effects a tad bizarre if there hasn't been legit testing yet. Is that a safe assumption because it's an antibody? Sounds promising though. A booster like this that could be given to people who haven't gotten Covid (as well as those who get it) would be a game changer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88MechEng
tenor.gif

Guys calm down.....
Located here in lib California, even worse San Diego. We’ll screw this up like we do everything else.

Ive signed over 10M in software contracts with Qualcomm in that building. I then took those profits and redistributed to my extended lib California family. Only held $990 for myself to pay for Rivals for the next decade.

I’ll add this to the list with Israel, University of Pittsburg and University of Louisville for other groups saying they have found a cure.

Reactions: clemsonbama
I’ve worked with several companies working on vaccines and therapies. The ones who have come out of the gate early with the “we’ve got a cure” cheerleading almost always flame out. It’s typically the one’s who have flown low and slow that make it to phase 2 and 3 trials.

Right. Bold quotes from a CEO when testing hasn't even occurred yet. Hope it's all true, but color me skeptical.

Too late for gains now. My January purchase of NVAX is already up 5x this year. People should have been in the pharma stocks back then.

Probably too late for big gains in the short term. There is still opportunity in the biotech/pharma space, though. A lot of it for long term investors.

Reactions: Casa_del_Tigre
Probably too late for big gains in the short term. There is still opportunity in the biotech/pharma space, though. A lot of it for long term investors.
Agreed. This covid 19 mess has reminded people the healthcare overload that will come as baby boomers age. I don’t see how the healthcare sector isn’t the fastest growing one over the next decade.

Unbelievably irresponsible for a CEO to proclaim, “We have a cure.” Wait till the facts are in. The SEC ought to look into his company and his stock trading.

Unbelievably irresponsible for a CEO to proclaim, “We have a cure.” Wait till the facts are in. The SEC ought to look into his company and his stock trading.

The SEC will be looking at it. Will be interesting to see what/if any the insider activity has been and will be in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT