ADVERTISEMENT

Tariff's kick in tomorrow

giphy.gif

I understand the hate towards what trump is doing. Short term it will cause us issues BUT this is along term solution. We , as a country, have been getting bent over and taking it for years. This had to be done and it is one of those situations that we won't realize the pluses until later down the road.

Reactions: OTR/Tiger
You can’t win imposing artificial barriers to trade long term. It does not change the fact that current industries that struggle to survive are not sustainable. It is a tax on the American people in the end that causes inflation because production costs go up.

In the end, it holds up the weak and hold done American industry. The tariffs as imposed on raw materials like steel only hurt US produced product.

My company is a very big and there are already discussions of moving production off shore because the tariffs made it more expensive to produce here.

The blind “my guy is always right” is laughable. Need to wake up in both sides

I gotta be honest, I don't know enough about this to really have an opinion one way or the other. I just wish I could believe Trump when he says stuff, then I'd have an idea of whether we were really getting screwed by our trading partners or not...

But I don't believe a word out of his mouth w/o looking up the truth... He could be telling the truth, or he could be lying his ass off. I just don't know.

I don’t know if it will work or not but we have been getting screwed for years.

Something had to be done.

Reactions: OTR/Tiger
I understand the hate towards what trump is doing. Short term it will cause us issues BUT this is along term solution. We , as a country, have been getting bent over and taking it for years. This had to be done and it is one of those situations that we won't realize the pluses until later down the road.
People keep saying that but the economy is great right now. Trump is selling his base on made up hopes and dreams.

Anyone remember that time when unemployment and stock numbers didn’t mean anything... ohh that was only when Obama was president.

We are due for a recession and politicians only fvck the economy. I can’t wait to hear how the right swings it when shit turns south.

You can’t win imposing artificial barriers to trade long term. It does not change the fact that current industries that struggle to survive are not sustainable. It is a tax on the American people in the end that causes inflation because production costs go up.

In the end, it holds up the weak and hold done American industry. The tariffs as imposed on raw materials like steel only hurt US produced product.

My company is a very big and there are already discussions of moving production off shore because the tariffs made it more expensive to produce here.

The blind “my guy is always right” is laughable. Need to wake up in both sides

I'll partially agree here. We as a country CAN refuse to buy products that don't meet whatever qualifications (by taxing the crap out of the imports). For example, when you have other countries that allow people (including our companies that move there) to pay people slave's wages and/or employ young kids just to keep the price of goods cheap. I have NO PROBLEM saying no thanks and paying more.

Reactions: Tiger Guru
We were already losing badly in the war that we didn’t admit

Maybe now we will fight back

What could you possibly be talking about? The ignorant position that the US is at some sort of competitive disadvantage worldwide because we are a net importer of goods? **** me.

We we're 'losing badly"? What objective evidence supports that assertion?

Protip: trade in goods deficits I with individual nation's doesn't support the assertion that we were already losing a trade war. Honestly, that's pure idiocy. That's simply not how this whole macro economics thing works.

This idiocy is costing us jobs. Period. Protectionism is wrong. That used to be a republican position.

Just FYI--everyone supporting tariffs in this thread sounds like a democrat from the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's until they learned about the benefits of free trade.

If tariffs were strategic and targeted folks may have a point--these things are just bad policy (or so I've heard from Republicans for 50 years before Trump...).

As an independent, I just love the hypocrisy on both sides...

You have literally no evidence to support any of these statements. None. We were being bent over? How? This is going to work out in the long ru? ****ing how?

From the god damn us chamber of commerce...

“Tariffs are beginning to take a toll on American businesses, workers, farmers, and consumers as overseas markets close to American-made products and prices increase here at home,” U.S. Chamber President Thomas Donohue said in a statement. “The administration is threatening to undermine the economic progress it worked so hard to achieve.”

Trumpers: your savior is wrong and is harming workers, the economy here, and USU competitiveness worldwide.

Just FYI--everyone supporting tariffs in this thread sounds like a democrat from the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's until they learned about the benefits of free trade.

If tariffs were strategic and targeted folks may have a point--these things are just bad policy (or so I've heard from Republicans for 50 years before Trump...).

As an independent, I just love the hypocrisy on both sides...
This post perfectly illustrates the hypocrisy of the GOP right now. People that really truly believe in the ideals of conservatism are without representation in this country right now.

Edit: 45 minutes to get moved into the Round Table, not bad.

As a young Republican in 1980 when Reagan won, I bought into the "free trade" philosophy. Then Ross Perot warned us of the "great sucking sound" of jobs leaving the country that NAFTA and similar free trade agreements would lead to. And now 40 years later, the American worker has paid the price due to an ineffective government's (both parties) approach to free trade implementation, while our global competitors take advantage of us, and I'm sure laugh at how gullible our "better than thou" moral approach to global economics has been. At least now we are doing something proactive to let the world know that we wont let that happen any longer. There may indeed be short term pain, but most of us teach our children that sometimes it takes some pain in order to attain a goal or protect against worse possibilities.

Reactions: hmacjr999
Tariffs are never good. Period. My hope in all this is that Trump was playing hardball in an effort to get other countries to ease their tariffs on our goods. Looks like they all called his bluff. This is definitely going to get worse before it gets better, if it gets better at all.

As a young Republican in 1980 when Reagan won, I bought into the "free trade" philosophy. Then Ross Perot warned us of the "great sucking sound" of jobs leaving the country that NAFTA and similar free trade agreements would lead to. And now 40 years later, the American worker has paid the price due to an ineffective government's (both parties) approach to free trade implementation, while our global competitors take advantage of us, and I'm sure laugh at how gullible our "better than thou" moral approach to global economics has been. At least now we are doing something proactive to let the world know that we wont let that happen any longer. There may indeed be short term pain, but most of us teach our children that sometimes it takes some pain in order to attain a goal or protect against worse possibilities.

we wont let WHAT happen anymore? Whats the long term goal?

I am no expert but this is how the current tariff plan was explained to me and this is how it is suppose to be good for America. A tariff is basically saying we want to buy goods made in our country and if you are a foreign manufactures we want you to manufacture your product in the US. So for example BMW in Greer. The Greer plant is an assembly plant. Every component that comes into that plant that is manufactured in the US will come in tariff free. Every part that is imported will pay a tariff. BMW will / should start looking for suppliers who manufacture the parts they need in the US. Finding someone who can manufacture the more complex parts will take time but if they are sending in easy to manufacture parts these will probably transition quickly. Since the US has such a large trade deficit with just about every country we trade with the bet is that more jobs will come to the US to avoid the tariff than jobs that leave the country for the same reason. With the corporate tax rate dropping from 35% to 21% that gives foreign manufactures even more to consider when deciding where to manufacture.
One thing I am sure about. The reaction from our foreign trading partners makes me sure they are convinced that these tariff are not going to cause jobs to leave the US and flow into their countries because if they thought they would pick up jobs from these tariffs they would be OK with them.

HOW WILL THIS AFFECT BUD LIGHT PRICES AND WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO EAT MAC AND CHEESE AND WATCH THE SPORTS ON MY 78” FLAT SCREEN IN THE BONUS ROOM? THAT IS THE QUESTION THE AVERAGE AMERICAN WANTS TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO.

I am no expert but this is how the current tariff plan was explained to me and this is how it is suppose to be good for America. A tariff is basically saying we want to buy goods made in our country and if you are a foreign manufactures we want you to manufacture your product in the US. So for example BMW in Greer. The Greer plant is an assembly plant. Every component that comes into that plant that is manufactured in the US will come in tariff free. Every part that is imported will pay a tariff. BMW will / should start looking for suppliers who manufacture the parts they need in the US. Finding someone who can manufacture the more complex parts will take time but if they are sending in easy to manufacture parts these will probably transition quickly. Since the US has such a large trade deficit with just about every country we trade with the bet is that more jobs will come to the US to avoid the tariff than jobs that leave the country for the same reason. With the corporate tax rate dropping from 35% to 21% that gives foreign manufactures even more to consider when deciding where to manufacture.
One thing I am sure about. The reaction from our foreign trading partners makes me sure they are convinced that these tariff are not going to cause jobs to leave the US and flow into their countries because if they thought they would pick up jobs from these tariffs they would be OK with them.

The problem is that BMW won't look for suppliers in the US. They just won't and if it is a problem and not cost effective, they will move the plant to another country and not build another in the future.

The real problem is with something like soybeans (which is in a ton of products just like corn syrup/fructose)--that screws the American farmer and all major agriculture has been subsidized for years by taxpayer dollars to compete. It is a disaster...

Reactions: Baytripper1
The problem is that BMW won't look for suppliers in the US. They just won't and if it is a problem and not cost effective, they will move the plant to another country and not build another in the future.

The real problem is with something like soybeans (which is in a ton of products just like corn syrup/fructose)--that screws the American farmer and all major agriculture has been subsidized for years by taxpayer dollars to compete. It is a disaster...
So BMW will walk away from a billion $ plus investment because they will not look for a domestic supplier for floor mats, owner manuals and sun visors? There are lots of little easy to manufacture items and good companies to manufacture the more complex items.

So BMW will walk away from a billion $ plus investment because they will not look for a domestic supplier for floor mats, owner manuals and sun visors? There are lots of little easy to manufacture items and good companies to manufacture the more complex items.
BMW is just going to pass the cost of the tariff on to the buyer.

The cars they can't sell because of the price increase will cause them to produce fewer cars and lay off workers.

What could you possibly be talking about? The ignorant position that the US is at some sort of competitive disadvantage worldwide because we are a net importer of goods? **** me.

We we're 'losing badly"? What objective evidence supports that assertion?

Protip: trade in goods deficits I with individual nation's doesn't support the assertion that we were already losing a trade war. Honestly, that's pure idiocy. That's simply not how this whole macro economics thing works.

This idiocy is costing us jobs. Period. Protectionism is wrong. That used to be a republican position.

I am All In with the negotiating position the US has taken

This is The start

So chill and let’s wait and see the outcome

“Tariffs are beginning to take a toll on American businesses, workers, farmers, and consumers as overseas markets close to American-made products and prices increase here at home,” U.S. Chamber President Thomas Donohue said in a statement. “The administration is threatening to undermine the economic progress it worked so hard to achieve.”

Trumpers: your savior is wrong and is harming workers, the economy here, and USU competitiveness worldwide.
I would not trust that organization. They have an agenda and it’s not helping American workers.

Reactions: CUT93
70% of the vehicles made in SC are exported. With the car specific tariffs, those cars will now cost anywhere from 20%-80% more in those countries. Not to mention they will already cost up to 20% more to produce in the US due to the steel/aluminum tariffs. Pretty good chance BMW won't sell the same amount of cars if they cost consumers 100% more now than years prior. If BMW can't sell American made cars internationally then there isn't a reason for them to have a big footprint in the US.

I gotta be honest, I don't know enough about this to really have an opinion one way or the other. I just wish I could believe Trump when he says stuff, then I'd have an idea of whether we were really getting screwed by our trading partners or not...

But I don't believe a word out of his mouth w/o looking up the truth... He could be telling the truth, or he could be lying his ass off. I just don't know.

Seriously?!?! Trump, love him or hate him has done what he said he was going to do. That’s refreshing for a politician regardless of party.

The correct term I believe is Trumpians. As in people who used to be Americans, but have really given up the "good guy" part of that to embrace Trump's worst qualities (and I freely admit he has some good qualities too). IE bully/attack those weaker than you, put yourself first above anyone else, and most of all, give up those outdated Christian values of compassion, forgiveness, and loving others that are different from you.

Seriously?!?! Trump, love him or hate him has done what he said he was going to do. That’s refreshing for a politician regardless of party.

Yes, seriously. I'm not talking about campaign promises (like healthcare that includes previous conditions, an infrastucture plan, or middleclass based tax reform). I'm talking about saying things that are just plain not true. For instance, how he couldn't do anything about separating children and that the Democrates and congress had to act to stop it... right before he stopped his own polities that started the whole damn thing by executive order. I could go on and on of course... but Trumps lies ALL THE TIME.

So when he tells me stuff like we are getting screwed, I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not.

Yes, seriously. I'm not talking about campaign promises (like healthcare that includes previous conditions, an infrastucture plan, or middleclass based tax reform). I'm talking about saying things that are just plain not true. For instance, how he couldn't do anything about separating children and that the Democrates and congress had to act to stop it... right before he stopped his own polities that started the whole damn thing by executive order. I could go on and on of course... but Trumps lies ALL THE TIME.

So when he tells me stuff like we are getting screwed, I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not.

What policitician doesn’t lie? Everything is a distraction....

Can anyone explain what the end goal is? Because if it's an attempt to force all parties to ultimately lower the tariff rates to zero, you're going to see a lot of American-manufactured items (like footwear and clothing) even less competitive with the foreign equivalent than it is now.

Perhaps we could band together with other like-minded countries to lower both non-tariff and tariff barriers to trade amongst members. Some kind of Trans-Pacific Partnership, for example.

Facts, huh. You mean slanted articles written by free-traders. Tell displaced workers about those facts.
So without having any idea what articles I read or papers I reviewed you are able to judge them? Is that telepathy or telekinesis? I always get those two mixed up.

Did you just go from "Trump is different" to "everyone else does it too" in back to back posts?

Trump is different in the fact he’s done what he said he would do before he was elected. His stance has been the same the entire time, he’s been consistent. Now, does he talk and tweet too much, sure. Does he say things that are lies or off the wall stuff, sure. It’s all just a distraction.

What policitician doesn’t lie? Everything is a distraction....

But wait... Isn't Trump here to "Drain the Swamp"? Isn't he a "Straight Shooter"? Isn't he supposed to be "Better" than the politicos. Does MAGA include lying to us every day? Just because everyone else does it, that doesn't make it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT