ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. troops killed in Jordan

We cut off the head of the snake in Afghanistan when we invaded. How’d that work out for us long term? What did we achieve? Absolutely nothing
We never cut the head off the snake in Afghanistan. That is false. Afghanistan is a series of villages, the elder of each village is the president of said village, they never had a central government and never will. As soon as we walked out of those villages, the Taliban/Al Qaeda would walk in after us and kill anyone that worked with us or refused to shoot at us.

To end it all in Afghanistan, we needed all out war declaration which we didn't do. Afghanistan had open borders on literally every side so terrorist leadership simply fled and came back with more recruits.

That said, I agree with you. You cannot kill an idea and that is what radical Islam is.......it's an idealogy. Also, the world doesn't have the stomach for what would be required to stop it. Better to pull out, boost foreign intelligence, secure our own borders and invest in better weaponry to protect our nation and force NATO to do the same.

The middle east will eat it's own, it always does if you let it.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Took my family into DC for the weekend for my son’s 11th bday. He had been wanting to go to the Smithsonian for a LONG time soooooooooo figured it would be a good surprise.

Stayed one night in Foggy Bottom right near GW University and we had dinner Saturday night at Old Ebbitts Grill.

…. This is relevant because …. HOLY SHIT!!!! The amount of homeless in DC is awful! The National Park Service has managed to keep the homeless off the Mall, but all the small “parks” around????? They are now homeless encampments .,.,,,,, or should we say Bidenville’s, and this isn’t like on the outskirts of town ….. this is a block or less from the White House or Capitol building.

Walking around the city this weekend was so sad ….. the last time I had spent the weekend in DC was on 2018 and …. It is so different and terrible now .

What has changed ????
Went to some of the same places last year with my fam. But we did not see the homeless encampments you are talking about. Must have been a recent change.

Every “war” we’ve fought since WW2 politicians have gotten involved and F’d things up. If not for politicians, Korea would be unified and governed from Seoul, Vietnam would’ve been a walk in the park, and there wouldve been no second Iraq war.

Let our military do what it’s good at. Kill shit …

You kill 3 of ours? We will kill 3000 of yours …. That’s the proper exchange rate for dealing with these people.

Yep you have the ratio right

Maybe 30,000 to 3 if needed

Every “war” we’ve fought since WW2 politicians have gotten involved and F’d things up. If not for politicians, Korea would be unified and governed from Seoul, Vietnam would’ve been a walk in the park, and there wouldve been no second Iraq war.

While I agree with this general sentiment, don't underestimate the ability of the military leadership and the defense industry to fvck things up. It's not all on "politicians". Politicians didn't come up with the genuis idea of putting infantry platoons/companies in random isolated firebases in the middle of Bumfvck Tribal Land Afghanistan, thinking that would somehow "control" an area that was never controlled by Alexander The Great or the Royal Afgan Army or the Russians.

You kill 3 of ours? We will kill 3000 of yours …. That’s the proper exchange rate for dealing with these people
It's the language the everyone understands. Our military isn't being tested, it's our national will. We are perceived as a morally weak nation led by an incompetent leader so Iran is pushing. They will continue to do so until we make them stop.

It doesn't need to be a body count thing, but it does need to significant.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Clemson Goat
We never cut the head off the snake in Afghanistan. That is false. Afghanistan is a series of villages, the elder of each village is the president of said village, they never had a central government and never will. As soon as we walked out of those villages, the Taliban/Al Qaeda would walk in after us and kill anyone that worked with us or refused to shoot at us.

To end it all in Afghanistan, we needed all out war declaration which we didn't do. Afghanistan had open borders on literally every side so terrorist leadership simply fled and came back with more recruits.

That said, I agree with you. You cannot kill an idea and that is what radical Islam is.......it's an idealogy. Also, the world doesn't have the stomach for what would be required to stop it. Better to pull out, boost foreign intelligence, secure our own borders and invest in better weaponry to protect our nation and force NATO to do the same.

The middle east will eat it's own, it always does if you let it.
The Taliban controlled the "government." But yep, you're absolutely to right to point out that didn't mean much to begin with.

It's the language the everyone understands. Our military isn't being tested, it's our national will. We perceived as a morally weak nation led by an incompetent leader so Iran is pushing. They will continue to do so until we make them stop.

It doesn't need to be a body count thing, but it does need to significant.
Making them stop isn't possible within reasonable means.

Go ahead, kill a thousand of them for this latest episode. They'll go from launching drones to ballistic missiles. What do you do then? Go to war?

You kill 3 of ours? We will kill 3000 of yours …. That’s the proper exchange rate for dealing with these people.
War isn't won by killing. It's won by achieving strategic objectives. Body counts sure as hell didn't win in Vietnam

War isn't won by killing. It's won by achieving strategic objectives. Body counts sure as hell didn't win in Vietnam

I don’t think body count is the answer either. But I have to think we have the ability to strike really meaningful, strategic targets without any boots on the ground. Bases, ballistic missile sites, weapons manufacturing facilities, airfields, etc. I would rain fire on these each time Iran or one of their proxies fires a shot at a US asset.

Of course, I’d also go ham on sanctions and not do dumb shit like unfreezing their assets.

The sad part about Iran is that the general populace is like 70-30 in favor of westernizing, but their fanatical religious leadership just ignores it. Idk how to do it, but Iran needs a more secular leadership, and short of armed revolution idk how they accomplish it

What is our stated strategic purpose in the Middle East right now? Does anyone know?

Making them stop isn't possible within reasonable means.
What is "reasonable" is open to interpretation, of course.

Lots of tools in the tool box to influence behavior change. Diplomatic, Economic, and of course Military.

With respect to Iran, two historical examples of effecting behavior change while taking direct military action against Iran (in conjunction with perceived WILL to do more):

Operation Eagle Claw (1980) - A tactical military failure, but did make the Iranian regime release US hostages and behave (for a while).

Operation Preying Manis (1988) - We didn't go far enough and stopped too soon, IMHO, but it still sent a very big cease and desist message.

Don't always need to kill thousands to get point across.

What is "reasonable" is open to interpretation, of course.

Lots of tools in the tool box to influence behavior change. Diplomatic, Economic, and of course Military.

With respect to Iran, two historical examples of effecting behavior change while taking direct military action against Iran (in conjunction with perceived WILL to do more):

Operation Eagle Claw (1980) - A tactical military failure, but did make the Iranian regime release US hostages and behave (for a while).

Operation Preying Manis (1988) - We didn't go far enough and stopped too soon, IMHO, but it still sent a very big cease and desist message.

Don't always need to kill thousands to get point across.

The day Biden took office Iran had approximately 4 billion surplus money , due to his appeasement policy they now have approximately 70 billion. Economic tool will work.

Last edited:
At this point we only have two choices 1 ) pull all military out of the Middle East. 2) bomb the hell out of them and put enough sanctions on them to the point they are starving.
We don't belong in the middle east... Get out and get out now. Tell Iran to go ahead and develop nukes... You flip one at us or have one of your groups set one off in the US, your entire country is glass and vapor 20 mins after. No second chances, you've been warned.

Those folks have been killing each other for the entirety of human history. Only THEY can decide to stop. We aren't going to solve that problem for them. And as crappy as the following take is, I think its the truth... The violence isn't going to stop until more than one of these groups of people is extinct.

Should’ve had just enough ground presence, to root out Bin Laden, and then told the region to F off!

Telling the Middle East to F off is really the only benefit of transitioning oil from fossil fuels (oil)
It most certainly isn't the only reason, but I agree that it is the most compelling across the political spectrum.

I was the lone surgeon stationed at this military base 4 years ago. We were woefully unprepared for anything like this. We sounded every alarm we could to alert the leadership but I’m sure nothing has changed since then. My colleague who was there with me, and hasn’t been there for 4 years, was getting called today asking if we needed more blood products. An utter sh*t show.

The fact is, our military is lucky that more situations like this don’t occur more often. My heart goes out to the people involved and hopefully this is the wake up call the leadership needs to get us out of those hellholes where we cannot win.
damn, biden doing damage even before he was president.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT