ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

I look forward to seeing this thread reach another milestone later today ...

picasion.com_de4049ec28971020d91eae19e477e14a.gif
Doing my best to help.....has been a GREAT thread

yep he sure as hell does
It’s really frustrating to me that if he’s as clearly guilty as the jury found him. Just over an hour to convict. We should be able to go back and get the death penalty.

Seems like that should be something that could be argued now with that jury that had such conviction of his guilt.

I think he realized, especially when Alex decided to take the stand, that he was representing one of the worst human beings to walk this earth.

Alex doubled down on his ability to do the most damage to the most vulnerable, people who thought the most of him, and then turn around, look them in the eye, and lie about it. Not showing a bit, not an ounce of remorse.

I’d love to get an explanation or have a study done to see how a person gets to that point, but it has to have something to do with always believing and being taught that you are better than the people around you. I know his family had celebrated their ability to deceive others. Look at how his grandfather was described and how he could come into court and have the ability to manipulate and change the opinions of the jurors present with his use of his words and emotion. They celebrated that.

I thought it appropriate that he was convicted of murder in a courthouse where his family’s “hero’s” pictures were hanging. I think their very behavior played a part in creating the monster that is Alex Murdaugh. One of the worst human beings to ever walk the earth.
I think in any case for people like Alex, it is likely a case of both nature and nurture. His brain was wired with the ability to not care about right/wrong. For some with this problem, nurture and societal norms override/manage their behavior. With Alex, his family's status and lifestyle did the opposite and kicked those base emotions into high gear. His life early on allowed his mind to confirm whatever he did was okay bc there were never any negative consequences to this actions- the opposite in fact.
It appears his son was from the same mold and well on his way to continuing his father's (terrible) legacy.

It’s really frustrating to me that if he’s as clearly guilty as the jury found him. Just over an hour to convict. We should be able to go back and get the death penalty.

Seems like that should be something that could be argued now with that jury that had such conviction of his guilt.

I think he will find a way to kill himself

As bad as Paul was, he did not deserve to be killed in such a brutal manner. Also, Maggie's last moments on this earth were sheer terror. I feel so badly for them both. I do not believe Alex could determine reality from fiction based on his massive drug use and the debilitating effects it has on many parts of the brain.
I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Exactly.

poates6 said:

WHY would you give him the easy way out???
Impossible now anyway

I'm betting he'll take himself out at some point.
Probably, but either way we are still paying for him to be alive until he does.

Consecutive life sentences is not what someone deserves for doing what was done.

Death, immediate death, is the only proper punishment.

Reactions: jeffcoat
The judge sounds like he wanted the death penalty for Alex. He understands why they didn’t pursue it but it sounds like he wants it.

AM deserves it, but it would be difficult based solely on circumstantial evidence. If they had something else, I'm absolutely sure they would've proceeded with a DP case.

poates6 said:

WHY would you give him the easy way out???
Impossible now anyway
Life in prison is the easy way out. Shooting him with 4-5 rounds of 300 blackout and two shot gun shells, the last of which puts his brain on a ceiling, seems like the harder way to go out if you ask me.

I couldn’t watch the sentencing. Any reaction by Alex? I assume not, since he has no soul.

Reactions: acmnni1
AM deserves it, but it would be difficult based solely on circumstantial evidence. If they had something else, I'm absolutely sure they would've proceeded with a DP case.
This is my point. If a circumstantial case can be decided in 75 minutes, death penalty would have been easy.

I understand that extra evidence arrived during the trial and I’m saying that they should be able to go back now and argue for death penalty.

In general, it is an issue that governments have unlimited resources when trying cases vs an average citizen. Not saying that AM is an average citizen, and I'm happy that the psychopath ginger is going away for life, just saying in general.

I couldn’t watch the sentencing. Any reaction by Alex? I assume not, since he has no soul.
It was very much as you said. What’s crazier is buster nor his uncle showed any either. I’m fact JM chuckled a little with a police officer.

Where does AM fall in the Infamous Killers of SC rankings:
A few I can think of:
Susan Smith
Pee Wee Gaskins
PawPaw Murdaugh?
Who else?

Serial Killer, Lee Roy Martin, “The Gaffney Strangler”. In 67 and 68, he strangled and raped 2 women and 2 girls. There was a trial for the first victim, and her husband was wrongly convicted of murder and was in prison when Lee Roy Martin was finally caught. Martin had a wife and 3 children. He sent letters to the Gaffney Ledger celebrating his kills and taunting the local police and SLED.

I was in Gaffney High School, and the whole town was practically on lockdown mode until he was caught. He was stabbed and killed in Prison in 1972.

There are some very interesting articles on this killer, his victims, on how he eluded the police, and on how he was ultimately captured. Henry Transou, a local golf pro played a pivotal role in breaking the case.

Last edited:

Probably run the risk of a jury not being as inclined to vote guilty on the death penalty vs a prison sentence...

Interesting to hear 8 guilty, 3 not guilty and 1 undecided was the jury’s first vote and how they were unanimous after only 45 minutes
This is similar to when I was foreman on a gang murder trial in Charlotte 10 years ago. We took an initial vote, and 2 people, in my opinion, had an unrealistic understanding of reasonable doubt. We took an hour discussing the evidence, and how there is no other rational explanation other than guilty, and they came around in an hour. Putting somebody away for life can be difficult unless you are 110% certain, but you're never 110% certain unless you see them on video doing it.

Probably run the risk of a jury not being as inclined to vote guilty on the death penalty vs a prison sentence...
I understand that. I also understand it was politically motivated cause a guilt verdict but then a no on death penalty doesn’t play as good as just the guilty verdict does today.

If he can be found guilty in an hour after a 6 week trial, the state should absolutely have gone for the death penalty.

He will never kill himself.
If there existed even an ounce of tendency for him to do that, he'd have taken his own life instead of murdering his family.

maybe you are right but he loved his lifestyle so much I could see him doing it

Reactions: yemassee
I understand that. I also understand it was politically motivated cause a guilt verdict but then a no on death penalty doesn’t play as good as just the guilty verdict does today.

If he can be found guilty in an hour after a 6 week trial, the state should absolutely have gone for the death penalty.

But this is hindsight. The state doesn't know ahead of time that deliberations are only going to take 45 minutes.

Reactions: yemassee and CUT93
Probably a different take....I think he is definitely guilty and am glad that justice was served, but I had a weird vibe from that press conference from the prosecution team. I get it was a long and complicated case but the attorney general came of as arrogant and wanting to create a charade. Almost like it was for political purposes.

Also bringing in ALL these resources at the states expense, a whole team of outside prosecutors instead of the local whose jurisdiction it is to prosecute. You say that Alex is just like everyone else and not above anyone or the law but then this case is treated like he is. Other double homicides in the area I am sure are not bombarded with the resources at the state and federal level like this one was. Are those families not worth this kind of effort?

I will be the first to admit that I do not know the ins and outs of the legal process, just a layman's opinion from the outside.

Also, I am sure there are tons of good people at SLED that do great work but the constant over the top praising of them them made me queasy. Chief Keel was fined not even a week ago for withholding discovery that would show he lied to a judge when he destroyed a local farmer's crop.

Anyway....looking forward to the next TI MEGA THREAD!
In criminal cases where a conflict arises from the circuit solicitor, typically those cases are either taken on by the AG's office or assigned to another circuit solicitor. This case should have been conflicted out from the very beginning, and Mr. Stone will have to answer as to why that didnt happen.

Judge Newman gave him two … TWO … opportunities to come clean. Liar to the end.

It also sounds like … “reading between the lines” … that if the Death Penalty was on the table, Judge would’ve given it too him x 2
Well, you have to think, he’s a mockery to the very system the judge represents. It would be like being a cop and having your partner, who took the same oathes you did to protect the badge, stealing and killing in the name of the law.

And I agree with @Clemblack , he’s a narcissist and a narcissist like Alex will never off themself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT