ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

I'm not sure. Having grown up in a VERY small town myself with a single independent bank, it's just kinda how things work. Watching this depo, it was shocking how lax the procedures/protocols were, but then I remember walking into the bank in town as a little kid and getting money from my father's account.No withdrawal slip, no thing. Just, "Hey, Miss Loretta. I need some money. Daddy said it's OK." And time after time, miss Loretta would just give me whatever I asked for. In my case, there was nothing criminal going on, and the banker wasn't incompetent. It just was back in a time where procedures didn't exist and the banker knew everyone in town, and knew that it was OK for me to come get money. It was never a ton. I probably just needed it so I could go get a slushy from Mr. John down the street. The situation certainly seems ludicrous now, but back then it was normal. And I wonder if that's how things worked in Hampton. And until that bank is gobbled up by a "proper" bank, it might stay that way, particular in a place like Hampton. I don't know, but I wonder. And unless you grew up in a teeny tiny town, you probably can't even imagine this stuff goes on. But it did and probably still does to some extent. I tend to think this Westendorf man is just super naive, but not dirty. The Lafitte man? Maybe dirty. That said, there's zero excuse for Mr. Wetendorf not to know the word fiduciary. Likewise, I can think of no excuse for AM not to know "habeas corpus." This case continues to amaze and entertain.
30-40 years ago, and even today, that does not surprise me as back then people went into the actual bank building to do business face-to-face and the employees knew who you were.

And, I bet they knew the meaning of the word fiduciary - that's the bedrock of the banking or financial industry. That is their duty, not just something they can choose to not do, just like a doctor's oath in my example.

This was a banker in the year 2019 who still claims he does not know what the meaning of fiduciary is?? Come on, that's either complete B/S or your bank should be shut down for incompetency. But, after being alive to see the banks continually screw up, cause things like the housing crash in 2008, I can believe that most of the banking world is filled with total morons or crooks.

30-40 years ago, and even today, that does not surprise me as back then people went into the actual bank building to do business face-to-face and the employees knew who you were.

And, I bet they knew the meaning of the word fiduciary - that's the bedrock of the banking or financial industry. That is their duty, not just something they can choose to not do, just like a doctor's oath in my example.

This was a banker in the year 2019 who still claims he does not know what the meaning of fiduciary is?? Come on, that's either complete B/S or your bank should be shut down for incompetency. But, after being alive to see the banks continually screw up, cause things like the housing crash in 2008, I can believe that most of the banking world is filled with total morons or crooks.
so you think he's lying about "fiduciary?" He seemed sincere, and I agree, that's just ridiculous. But it made me wonder if he's in that job not because he knows squat about banking but knows someone in the Lafitte family who put him in that role bc they know he doesn't know anything and he won't figure out any of their irregularities. You know, a stooge who is likable but doesn't know enough to ask questions. I don't know, maybe he's evil and is involved in all this malfeasance. He just strikes me as a bit simple/easy to dupe.

Reactions: Esso Porch
so you think he's lying about "fiduciary?" He seemed sincere, and I agree, that's just ridiculous. But it made me wonder if he's in that job not because he knows squat about banking but knows someone in the Lafitte family who put him in that role bc they know he doesn't know anything and he won't figure out any of their irregularities. You know, a stooge who is likable but doesn't know enough to ask questions. I don't know, maybe he's evil and is involved in all this malfeasance. He just strikes me as a bit simple/easy to dupe.
So what explains how he is also the president of the SC Independent Bankers Association? I don't think he knew as much as ole Russ did and was probably just trying to be part of the cool kids club but it seems to me he is overselling the "Im just a dumb banker, I don't know nuffin"

So what explains how he is also the president of the SC Independent Bankers Association? I don't think he knew as much as ole Russ did and was probably just trying to be part of the cool kids club but it seems to me he is overselling the "Im just a dumb banker, I don't know nuffin"
Great point. But wow. That's a tough "sell." He should try a different path.

Same as the poster above, how can you be the president of the Independent Bankers Association and not know the meaning of the word fiduciary. Thus, he's lying or so incompetent he should be demoted to Wal-Mart Greeter.

Same as the poster above, how can you be the president of the Independent Bankers Association and not know the meaning of the word fiduciary. Thus, he's lying or so incompetent he should be demoted to Wal-Mart Greeter.
Yeah, it's inexcusable really. He should not be President of that association, I wouldn't think.But if it's just a trade association, maybe you just have to be well-connected and likable, and not smart/capable? I don't know. Seems weird and it gets weirder by the day.

Reactions: TigerDutch
Sounds like a cya move. The CFO of scana claimed he didn’t know there were problems with the construction of the nuclear plants and he walked while the ceo is in prison. Pleading ignorance at that level shouldn’t be a valid defense but it happens.

Audited banks right out of college (2002). I had been on the job about 3 months and was sitting in the board room of a bank in a small town when a guy walked in with a rifle. All of us started freaking out but the tellers greeted him and pointed him toward the president’s office. He was just there to show off his new hunting rifle😂

A tad off topic, wasn’t Jimmy Addison with Scana as both cfo and ceo? Did he go to prison?

I grew up in Hampton/Varnville, our bank was the Hampton County Bank, good bank as far as I could tell. The competition was the Exchange Bank, goobled up by Palmetto State bank.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
A tad off topic, wasn’t Jimmy Addison with Scana as both cfo and ceo? Did he go to prison?

I grew up in Hampton/Varnville, our bank was the Hampton County Bank, good bank as far as I could tell. The competition was the Exchange Bank, goobled up by Palmetto State bank.
Different Jimmy Addison. Clemson QB Jimmy Addison resume is:
Following graduation, Addison earned his law degree from Virginia, and before retiring five years ago, he spent nearly 40 years in real estate law with the renowned Troutman Sanders firm in Atlanta, Ga., and was named a partner in 1976.

Was not referring to Addison the Clemson guy. I worked with Jimmy Addison the scana guy, usuck grad. Worked at Deloitte in late 80’s. He was cfo and ceo at scana during the nuclear plant boondoogle, curious where he landed.

Yeah, it's inexcusable really. He should not be President of that association, I wouldn't think.But if it's just a trade association, maybe you just have to be well-connected and likable, and not smart/capable? I don't know. Seems weird and it gets weirder by the day.

Alex Murdaugh served 13 years on the governing body of the state’s trial lawyers association, called the S.C. Association for Justice, and was the group’s president in 2015-2016.

Not sure an organizational leadership position means you're ethical. Perhaps it means you're well-liked, well-connected, feared, have a book of business to share, or some combination of these. Those in positions of power bestow power on their friends and family.

Was not referring to Addison the Clemson guy. I worked with Jimmy Addison the scana guy, usuck grad. Worked at Deloitte in late 80’s. He was cfo and ceo at scana during the nuclear plant boondoogle, curious where he landed.
He was the cfo when the plants went under. The ceo and the guy in charge of the plant construction were forced to leave. Addison was elevated to ceo to negotiate the sale to dominion and received millions. He also claimed he didn’t know there were problems with the largest financial project in the company’s history and, to this day, has not been held responsible even though he was cfo for the life of the project.

• Angry
Reactions: my95GTHO
I'm not sure. Having grown up in a VERY small town myself with a single independent bank, it's just kinda how things work. Watching this depo, it was shocking how lax the procedures/protocols were, but then I remember walking into the bank in town as a little kid and getting money from my father's account.No withdrawal slip, no thing. Just, "Hey, Miss Loretta. I need some money. Daddy said it's OK." And time after time, miss Loretta would just give me whatever I asked for. In my case, there was nothing criminal going on, and the banker wasn't incompetent. It just was back in a time where procedures didn't exist and the banker knew everyone in town, and knew that it was OK for me to come get money. It was never a ton. I probably just needed it so I could go get a slushy from Mr. John down the street. The situation certainly seems ludicrous now, but back then it was normal. And I wonder if that's how things worked in Hampton. And until that bank is gobbled up by a "proper" bank, it might stay that way, particular in a place like Hampton. I don't know, but I wonder. And unless you grew up in a teeny tiny town, you probably can't even imagine this stuff goes on. But it did and probably still does to some extent. I tend to think this Westendorf man is just super naive, but not dirty. The Lafitte man? Maybe dirty. That said, there's zero excuse for Mr. Wetendorf not to know the word fiduciary. Likewise, I can think of no excuse for AM not to know "habeas corpus." This case continues to amaze and entertain.
I’ve got a similar story. My Dad could never get my mother to write down checks she wrote. He finally gave up, but had an arrangement with the bank president that the bank would call him when the balance couldn’t cover a check she wrote. My Dad would authorize transfer of funds from another account to cover the negative balance. Worked fine for the rest of their lives. Small town trust and relationships.

I’ve got a similar story. My Dad could never get my mother to write down checks she wrote. He finally gave up, but had an arrangement with the bank president that the bank would call him when the balance couldn’t cover a check she wrote. My Dad would authorize transfer of funds from another account to cover the negative balance. Worked fine for the rest of their lives. Small town trust and relationships.
That's how my father managed things too. He was a Bank Director and generated jobs and paychecks for others, so his word was gold. The overdraft scenario extended to all of his kids. It was great being behind an older sibling who overspent in college....paved my way. Only thing good about that sibling.

Unlike AM, my father was a man of God, gave things to people in need, would never steal from anyone...and was not an attorney. People revered him, and so did I. Never met a better person.

FITS news now reporting Cory Fleming has been indicted as a co-conspirator in the $4.3 million scheme.
The price of friendship, being in his inner cirlce, and doing business with AM may prove to be quite steep. Appears some literally paid with their lives; some may join the ⛓️ chain gang; and restitution and fines are likely.

The allegations must be proven but I'm interested to see how far the web extends. The alleged crimes are numerous and seem to be more than one occurrence, but a well-orchestrated process.

The price of friendship, being in his inner cirlce, and doing business with AM may prove to be quite steep. Appears some literally paid with their lives; some may join the ⛓️ chain gang; and restitution and fines are likely.

The allegations must be proven but I'm interested to see how far the web extends. The alleged crimes are numerous and seem to be more than one occurrence, but a well-orchestrated process.
If the allegations are true, then my guess would be this was not their first rodeo.

This was the news I alluded to a few pages back. Grand Jury was delayed.

So with the addition of Cory, that's now 4 people I sat in a law school classroom with that have been indicted (and are either going to plead out or get convicted) on fraud related charges. That I know of.

That's... pathetic. Don't know what the law of averages is but this seems like its on the wrong side of the bell curve.

So with the addition of Cory, that's now 4 people I sat in a law school classroom with that have been indicted (and are either going to plead out or get convicted) on fraud related charges. That I know of.

That's... pathetic. Don't know what the law of averages is but this seems like its on the wrong side of the bell curve.
Who are the other three?

Did you sit "with" them or just in the room with them?

Needs some assurance you are OK...I have always have thought so but inquiring minds need to know

Speaks well of you not to spill info from a Grand Jury prematurely. Glad to know that USCjr had a few ethical graduates.

UofSC Law school must be very proud. Lived in Columbia in mid 80s at which time Columbia had the highest 3 of lawyers per capita than any city not named Washington DC. Imagine is still the case. Gee

I originally thought Fleming was gonna get off light....thought he returned his 1.3 million from the case and was gonna cooperate, but guess not. Of course dumbass AM still denies he was involved in any conspiracy with Fleming.

So does that correlate to you're likely dirty or average out to no way in hades?

I predict one of these co-conspirators will put a gun in their mouth if the first one gets substantial jail time.
Jail time will be interesting. Charlotte's ex-mayor was caught by FBI wiretaps taking bribes. He got 44 months, served 22. He's now running for city council and it is widely belived that he will win based on people recognizing his name. I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction comes true. I wouldn't be surprised if they get off lightly either.

Jail time will be interesting. Charlotte's ex-mayor was caught by FBI wiretaps taking bribes. He got 44 months, served 22. He's now running for city council and it is widely belived that he will win based on people recognizing his name. I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction comes true. I wouldn't be surprised if they get off lightly either.
This is worse than taking bribes.....a lawyer stealing from clients happens but not to this scale . I may be wrong but feel they are gonna make an example of these dirt balls.

This is worse than taking bribes.....a lawyer stealing from clients happens but not to this scale . I may be wrong but feel they are gonna make an example of these dirt balls.
I think they deserve harsh penalties but some if not all will rely on a judge/ ex colleague giving light sentences. The judges were lawyers once upon a time

Wasn't AM in that class?
AM is one of the other 4. One of the others is still in jail in FL. One of the others did time in SC and is out. Those other two were year before AM and CF and me.

What was Carmen Mullens maiden name?

Also Todd Ellis was a 1L my third year. He has not yet been indicted to my knowledge but hope springs eternal.

Given the international coverage, I think you're right the sentences likely will not be light. The true crime shows (HBOMax, probably get a Netflix, and Dateline and 20/20) will scroll the sentences at the end...if they're convicted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT