ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

It seems to me that they are painting a picture of a financial sleeze ball but that doesn't necessarily equate to someone being a murderer.

They are laying out the timeline of lies and the financial situation as motive. The financial situation is definitely grounds for motive when you listen through it all. It’s definitely relevant and the judge agreed which is why it was admitted

I've been watching the whole thing and I understand what the prosecution is attempting to establish but, for me, motive doesn't necessarily equate to murder. BTW, I do think he's guilty because of all the lies.

Reactions: GoodWord28
Now I’ve heard it all. And that’s saying a lot with this case.

He’d died in a train accident but it wasn’t suicide and there wasn’t any note.i have total respect for you and believe this.m. Just so you know, it’s been speculated about for years.
He’d died in a train accident but it wasn’t suicide and there wasn’t any note.
Total respect and hats off to you. This has been circulating for years, but you certainly know more than anyone else and have handled things on this board better than most would.

I've been watching the whole thing and I understand what the prosecution is attempting to establish but, for me, motive doesn't necessarily equate to murder. BTW, I do think he's guilty because of all the lies.
Legally speaking, the prosecution has a very weak case. No motive bc the defense is eventually gonna say “why didnt he just file bankruptcy and cash his in his equity in other businesses”?

The prosecution would be embarrassing themselves if they said something like “too much pride”.

Can they prove exactly how the murder happened? So far, they cant. Were there one or two shooters?

So far, the prosecution has “he was likely at the crime scene at the time we think the murders occurred”.

Thats weak

He wasn’t ever on drugs.

Using the technical term “opioids” is not what drug users call whatever they are taking.

Also, pretty much everything he has put out there has been proven to be a lie. If he admits he did it, then it was probably cousin Eddie or someone else.

He’d died in a train accident but it wasn’t suicide and there wasn’t any note.
The fact one doesn’t leave a note doesn’t rule out suicide. There are no rules to follow when you commit suicide

Legally speaking, the prosecution has a very weak case. No motive bc the defense is eventually gonna say “why didnt he just file bankruptcy and cash his in his equity in other businesses”?

The prosecution would be embarrassing themselves if they said something like “too much pride”.

Can they prove exactly how the murder happened? So far, they cant. Were there one or two shooters?

So far, the prosecution has “he was likely at the crime scene at the time we think the murders occurred”.

Thats weak
Weird weak take in my view.

You have 2 dead bodies. Alex was there. He had motive. Hi alibi is/was a lie. The case has not yet been made but the prosecution continues. We shall see what we shall see.

We shall never see a video of Alex killing his wife and son. But if a jury of his peers says guilty, I will think we should not be surprised.

Last edited:
--For anyone saying "I don't know how a father could do this to his wife and son," go watch Dateline on any Friday night or any crime doc. Just last week, Dateline featured a wife, the choir director at her church in small town Alabama who began an affair with the "pastor." Fast forward a few months - she and her husband come home from dinner, she leaves "to go to the grocery store" and comes back 20 minutes later and assassinates him with a bullet to the back of the head.

--The forensic data from the Suburban's black box combined with the cell phone data is game set match. When you take data on when the Suburban started, when it was put in park, taken out of park, etc and overlay that with the phone calls to Maggie's phone and when the orientation was moved, calls to 911, etc.....it's down to the second matching.

--Maybe it was premeditated, maybe he snapped, maybe something didn't go according to plan - regardless, the financial aspect is absolutely motive. If it was just his law partners who busted him and his stealing gig was up, they would have been pissed as hell but let him resign and quietly go away with his tail tucked and work some deal to "pay his debt." Because of the boat crash, that luxury was no longer on the table for Alex.

I think Alex's sister passed something to one of the attorneys to give to Alex. Apparently Buster shot the bird at Mark Tinsley during his testimony and was admonished by the judge as well.
Buster vs MT on a Paul brother undercard. Now that's a "celebrity" boxing match I'd bootleg stream for free.

I understand this theory. Yesterday, I watched a YouTube video that showed the trajectory of the shots related to Paul. The video used Paul and Alex as the figures. It chilled me to the bone and breaks my heart.

I have a hard time reconciling the videos (AM's birthday party, joking about the tree/dog preceding murder) v. Alex standing in front his son and killing him.

Either Alex is a sociopath and killed them or he didn't do it. I know I'm deflecting, but killing his family wouldn't have stopped his financial crimes coming to light.
I’m so torn.

When he was arrested, I though he did it. Hearing the trial I felt like he maybe knew about or hired someone and they were ambushed.

What’s not out of the possibility is that someone else did it. Especially after hearing him what appears to be minutes before hand, further away in the background sounding normal.

That means he would have had to switch in seconds and blow his sons brains out. Shoot him again. Drop that gun, grab the other gun and shoot his wife who was running. As she lay there he walks up to her and shoots her again. Get to the house and get cleaned up without any tracks or trace of evidence within about 14-15 minutes. And then drive to his moms. Hide the gun and clothes which have never been found.

To this point, the testimonies given from witnesses say he was a corrupt professional. His professional life he was cheating people but not one single person has painted him as a person who could do what is described above. Not IMHO. People flip and I understand that as well. Sounds like that meeting he and Chris Wilson had on the back porch was a best friend saying “dude, am I mixed up in this?” Only for AM to confide in him that he screwed people over and was going jail. If he knew he was eventually getting caught anyways, why blow your sons brains out and kill your wife and create an elaborate alibi to only go to jail for laundering money and now double murder without any family?

This is just not cut and dry IMO and I don’t know what to think.

To this point, the testimonies given from witnesses say he was a corrupt professional. His professional life he was cheating people but not one single person has painted him as a person who could do what is described above. Not IMHO.
I disagree. He is a complete nutcase. The cousin Eddie skull grazing bullet incident is certainly one example showing what he was capable of. Though that testimony hasn’t been heard yet..

I’m so torn.

When he was arrested, I though he did it. Hearing the trial I felt like he maybe knew about or hired someone and they were ambushed.

What’s not out of the possibility is that someone else did it. Especially after hearing him what appears to be minutes before hand, further away in the background sounding normal.

That means he would have had to switch in seconds and blow his sons brains out. Shoot him again. Drop that gun, grab the other gun and shoot his wife who was running. As she lay there he walks up to her and shoots her again. Get to the house and get cleaned up without any tracks or trace of evidence within about 14-15 minutes. And then drive to his moms. Hide the gun and clothes which have never been found.

To this point, the testimonies given from witnesses say he was a corrupt professional. His professional life he was cheating people but not one single person has painted him as a person who could do what is described above. Not IMHO. People flip and I understand that as well. Sounds like that meeting he and Chris Wilson had on the back porch was a best friend saying “dude, am I mixed up in this?” Only for AM to confide in him that he screwed people over and was going jail. If he knew he was eventually getting caught anyways, why blow your sons brains out and kill your wife and create an elaborate alibi to only go to jail for laundering money and now double murder without any family?

Well we haven’t heard the entire case nor the closing arguments. You can’t win a ballgame at halftime.

I’m so torn.

Two people are dead. Alex Murdaugh lied in giving his alibi. He had motive. The lawyers who knew him best and considered him a friend have not come across as having his back. He made some crazy deal to get himself shot, or perhaps killed. Changed clothes? Missing guns?
The case has not yet been made, but barring some sort of Perry Mason/Columbo/ Johnny Cochrane surprise, I expect the jury is going to find him guilty as charged in fairly short order.

I’m so torn.

I get ya, only thing you have to think is if it was two different shooters, those are hard secrets to keep. Somebody would be slipping or I’d think there’s be at least rumors of “I heard —- was involved” etc. I would love to know the truth but we will only scratch the surface.

Regarding the notes, some judges allow notes and some don’t . There is no hard and fast rule.

The judges that don’t allow it, tell jurors they want them to decide the case on what they heard and what they remember and not what another juror happened to write down.

Here’s my 2 cents.

I have followed this whole saga since the boating accident. At first, I thought he was the shooter of both Paul and Maggie until the PM video was released. Now, not so much. After seeing the video, it seems to me that he had contracted the murder of Paul to be done and they agreed that it would happen at Moselle on the evening of the video (Probably cousin Eddie, probably why he was a willing participant in the bullet grazing).

He knew what time it was going to happen and he had persuaded Maggie to be there at the same time to go ahead and get rid of her too. I think the contracted killer appears as planned and kills Paul. Maggie sees this unfold in front of her and takes off running away and AM shoots her with the AR. Bad shot. Wounds her. Then, he commits the crime of passion of standing over her and delivers the kill shot.

Exit stage left to change clothes and set up the alibi. The bloody clothes were consumed in the shed that burned down a week after the murders.

I don’t know if any of this is right, but why else have Maggie come out there when it was way out of the way and they really didn’t get along anyway? Why make all those calls to Rogan about a dog when you’ve just discovered your wife and son have been killed? I think that would be the last thing I’d be worried about. It was the video, of course, not the dog. And, the clothes that changed from those shown in the PM video contrasted with those shown when the deputies arrive is also damning in my opinion.

It’ll be interesting to see how all this plays out for sure. Sad situation.

I’m so torn.

I agree with a lot of this theory. How did he hide it given the small window of time between the time of the shooting and the 911 call. That’s one hell of a clean up job in minutes. If he took the guns to his moms as suggested that house was flooded with people immediately the next morning as the caregiver testified. He didn’t have time on the drive to get rid of the guns. People were all in the house from around midnight all through the next day. One hell of a cover job if he did it. I’d be much more on board that he was involved, had it set up, was on the property when it happened.

Here’s my 2 cents.

I have followed this whole saga since the boating accident. At first, I thought he was the shooter of both Paul and Maggie until the PM video was released. Now, not so much. After seeing the video, it seems to me that he had contracted the murder of Paul to be done and they agreed that it would happen at Moselle on the evening of the video (Probably cousin Eddie, probably why he was a willing participant in the bullet grazing).

He knew what time it was going to happen and he had persuaded Maggie to be there at the same time to go ahead and get rid of her too. I think the contracted killer appears as planned and kills Paul. Maggie sees this unfold in front of her and takes off running away and AM shoots her with the AR. Bad shot. Wounds her. Then, he commits the crime of passion of standing over her and delivers the kill shot.

Exit stage left to change clothes and set up the alibi. The bloody clothes were consumed in the shed that burned down a week after the murders.

I don’t know if any of this is right, but why else have Maggie come out there when it was way out of the way and they really didn’t get along anyway? Why make all those calls to Rogan about a dog when you’ve just discovered your wife and son have been killed? I think that would be the last thing I’d be worried about. It was the video, of course, not the dog. And, the clothes that changed from those shown in the PM video contrasted with those shown when the deputies arrive is also damning in my opinion.

If he paid someone to do it then he wouldn’t have been at the property at the time

If he paid someone to do it then he wouldn’t have been at the property at the time
I think he knew that he couldn’t bring himself to kill Paul himself. But, you could be right. Maybe he shot them both with two different weapons to confuse the investigation.

Regarding the notes, some judges allow notes and some don’t . There is no hard and fast rule.

The judges that don’t allow it, tell jurors they want them to decide the case on what they heard and what they remember and not what another juror happened to write down.
I was called out when taking notes as a juror in Greenville…during the trial.
Judge Stillwell said, “If your head is down taking notes, you’re not paying full attention to the witness speaking, not seeing what they say in addition to hearing what they say. No note taking is allowed.”
Sadly as someone whose loses focus if uninterested, I write things down TO pay attention and actively listen. Oh well.

Here’s my 2 cents.

For AM amd MM to not get along, everyone sure paints a rosy picture of their interactions.

I’m so torn.

Don’t forget this idiots botched murder/suicide. He’s clearly not a man playing with a full deck. Crazy people have no limits.

I think he knew that he couldn’t bring himself to kill Paul himself. But, you could be right. Maybe he shot them both with two different weapons to confuse the investigation.
I think he…

Shot Paul with shotgun twice

She started running….range too far for shotgun. He old and fat and couldn’t reload and catch her. Picked up rifle with much greater range. Back shot then headshot, All while his phone was at the house.

He then left the house about 15-16 minutes later. I think he killed them within 30-45 seconds after their last phone activity

I know everyone wants Alex to be guilty, but the prosecution case so far is thin. Highly circumstantial. It will be interesting to see what the defense does when they have direct.

Thats weak
Dude will serve time for some of the financial pieces, but he’s skating on the murder charges.

I agree with a lot of this theory. How did he hide it given the small window of time between the time of the shooting and the 911 call. That’s one hell of a clean up job in minutes. If he took the guns to his moms as suggested that house was flooded with people immediately the next morning as the caregiver testified. He didn’t have time on the drive to get rid of the guns. People were all in the house from around midnight all through the next day. One hell of a cover job if he did it. I’d be much more on board that he was involved, had it set up, was on the property when it happened.
It was over an hour. From 8:49pm to around 10pm. And included a 20 minute stop at his mommas

Reactions: 1983Grad
I think he…

Shot Paul with shotgun twice

She started running….range too far for shotgun. He old and fat and couldn’t reload and catch her. Picked up rifle with much greater range. Back shot then headshot, All while his phone was at the house.

He then left the house about 15-16 minutes later. I think he killed them within 30-45 seconds after their last phone activity
THis. He owned an 1800 acre HUNTING lodge and 25 guns. He could probably hit a 50 yr old woman running from 50-100 ft.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
I am 9 hours ahead of you guys on the east coast and waking up and reading this thread is the highlight of my day. It's noon here now and just spent the last hour in a coffee shop catching up.

One thing I haven't seen addressed concerning the theory of another shooter is where is the evidence? Foot prints, car tracks, etc? If someone else did it, how did they get there and leave without a trace? Maybe it's been covered, but I haven't seen it.

And most of us are reasonable people and will never be in a situation that AM was in, so of course none of us can imagine shooting a family member. To me, that can't be an argument that he isn't guilty. Desperate, psychotic people do desperate, psychotic things that go against human nature all the time. I just Google "Jeffrey Dahmers neighbors" and the first hit was that they thought he was an average Joe who attended neighborhood BBQs. Yikes.

One last thing. Although it's irrelevant to the case, what is the prevalent theory of the elder Murdaugh who was killed by the train if it wasn't suicide? Accident or murder?

Last edited:
I’m so torn.

Dang...he had plenty of times to get rid of clothes weeks after the murders and for that anything else he wanted to get rid of.

His mother's housekeeper saw him carry in stuff that night and take it to the attic. He stayed 15 minutes and left and never saw his mother. She called her relative in law enforcement.

He Iied and said he was not at Mozelle. WTH would he lie if he had nothing to hide.

Think the Smith guy is gonna get on the stand ands Alex confessed to him.

Here’s my 2 cents.

Great synopsis and theory. Makes a lot of sense but can they prove it with no doubt is the biggest question of all

Add in that his clothes were bone dry like they had just came out of a dryer (witness’ words) and he was sweating profusely

They have all this, motive, and more but is it enough? That’s the big question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT