ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson professor gets deported

I beg your pardon, but Chinese and Japanese is not a "race." Those are nationalities. And to be clear, Trump imposed a TEMPORARY hold on persons from 7 COUNTRIES from entering the US until we can confirm those countries are properly vetted before we then vet them. I'm tired already if the news saying that we have banned 7 Muslim countries. We banned citizens of a country, not practitioners of a religion. What is a Muslim country? After answering that tell me what a Christian country is.

You need more information

Reactions: yeti24
IMO this ban is doing its job if that is the case. Many of these immigrants leave, go train for ISIS and come back to the US and kill people. If we lose a few good people in the process I'm OK with that.
"Many"

Good god man, hope a black family never moves in next door.

They were gone for like a week, not 6 months.

Reactions: iceheart08
Frankly, kind of unncessary to ban H1's from Iran. It is incredibly difficult to get an H1 as an Iranian national. This woman has been vetted to the gills.

But yeah, this EO totally doesn't generalize on the basis of race. Sure.

Huh? Iran is Persian not Arab, so what race are you referring to?

Perhaps you work for US media and think Muslim = race?

IMO this ban is doing its job if that is the case. Many of these immigrants leave, go train for ISIS and come back to the US and kill people. If we lose a few good people in the process I'm OK with that.

We will mostly lose good people. We may keep out a handful of terrorists. We will create many more terrorists in the process.

Hmmm.... still a lot of questions to be asked. In 7 years, has she tried to become an American Citizen or did she want to stay an Iranian citizen. What does her visa allow her to do? If school has started back, why is she going back to Iran? I think there may be more to the story but I don't trust TSA or immigration to do anything right. They haven't done their job well for the last 8 years so what would change in 8 days.

If you're here as a professor, you likely come on an H1-B visa. After five years on that you can apply for permanent residence (colloquially known as a green card). Five years after that you can apply for citizenship. This order applies to any non-citizen including permanent residents. So she could have a green card and still be affected by this. From this it does not sound as if she is eligible to apply for citizenship yet. Obviously I don't know this person's immigration history.

Ok. Just read that terribly structured story. Hope this guy isn't an english professor. Any who, I need more details before passing judgement. And so does everyone else.

Let's see how good your writing would be if you were posting on Facebook from an airport after being informed you were going to be unable to return to your home, work, and life for an indefinite period of time. And there are no more details - she is Irananian and a non-citizen, therefore according to the President's EO of Friday she is banned from entering the country. What other details would you like?

We will mostly lose good people. We may keep out a handful of terrorists. We will create many more terrorists in the process.

If you're here as a professor, you likely come on an H1-B visa. After five years on that you can apply for permanent residence (colloquially known as a green card). Five years after that you can apply for citizenship. This order applies to any non-citizen including permanent residents. So she could have a green card and still be affected by this.

Let's see how good your writing would be if you were posting on Facebook from an airport after being informed you were going to be unable to return to your home, work, and life for an indefinite period of time. And there are no more details - she is Irananian and a non-citizen, therefore according to the President's EO of Friday she is banned from entering the country. What other details would you like?

Remeber, the Obama administration deported more people than any other president.

As a matter of fact, he deported more than the last 100 years of presidents combined have.

But let's go ahead demonize Trump. I am also sure we can blame Bush some how.
Difference between an American professor on a H1 Visa similar to Trump's employees on H2B Visa to a dam illegal immigrant. #FactsMatter

I beg your pardon, but Chinese and Japanese is not a "race." Those are nationalities. And to be clear, Trump imposed a TEMPORARY hold on persons from 7 COUNTRIES from entering the US until we can confirm those countries are properly vetted before we then vet them. I'm tired already if the news saying that we have banned 7 Muslim countries. We banned citizens of a country, not practitioners of a religion. What is a Muslim country? After answering that tell me what a Christian country is.

Did you even bother to read my post? "Race" was not the correct word, but my point was that Trump has precedent in his favor for what he is doing.

Such as?

I work with a student from Syria who is starting her last semester in school. She's a great student and a great person. She looks after my kids from time to time. She went home for a small break we have at the end of January to see her mom in Damascus. She came back last week, but school doesn't start until next week so she could have stayed longer. If she had she would have been banned from entering the country. Do I need more information on that?

If you're here as a professor, you likely come on an H1-B visa. After five years on that you can apply for permanent residence (colloquially known as a green card). Five years after that you can apply for citizenship. This order applies to any non-citizen including permanent residents. So she could have a green card and still be affected by this. From this it does not sound as if she is eligible to apply for citizenship yet. Obviously I don't know this person's immigration history.

A lot more information because you can't definitely answers those questions with 100% certainty. Those are only a couple off the top of my head questions. Like others have posted, I will reserve judgement until all facts are out. But one fact is for sure, she was NOT deported.

Haleys at the UNC. she'll fix this, whatever the issue is.
No need to get shivers down your leg. Horrible inconvenience for the professor, sorry to hear.

Going to be an interesting couple months for due process.

Over 1300 days since the 0bama jackbooted, weaponized IRS targeted political dissenters and hounded them into silence. Why all of a sudden all the faux concern over due process?

Due process, by all means. Wish the collectivists could muster some concern for OVERdue process. Orange jumpsuits await many of the prog thugs from this outgoing regime.

Did you even bother to read my post? "Race" was not the correct word, but my point was that Trump has precedent in his favor for what he is doing.
Yes I read your post and agree with it. But there is a huge difference between race and nationality... one that is being ignored by the liberal media. I wanted that to be known.

Lose a few good American citizens? No biggie...undermine the Constitution, not even going to bat an eye...no due process...meh.

Here is my question to anyone who is still in love with Trump. We banned 7 countries, right? None of those countries has ever had an immigrant kill an American on American soil, right? But S. Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Turkey, etc. etc. all have produced tons of terrorists who have killed a bunch of Americans and aren't in the ban.

So what is the point? And guess which countries Trump has economic interests and which ones he doesn't? He didn't ban any countries where he makes $$$.

Bad foreign policy. Does nothing strategic in the war on terror and messes with the rights of AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Please explain. (and here is where I wish we had like 8 major political parties so some of you wouldn't mind numbingly run this through a conservative lens the same way that liberals do when it is the exact opposite with an issue)

Such as?

I work with a student from Syria who is starting her last semester in school. She's a great student and a great person. She looks after my kids from time to time. She went home for a small break we have at the end of January to see her mom in Damascus. She came back last week, but school doesn't start until next week so she could have stayed longer. If she had she would have been banned from entering the country. Do I need more information on that?

Ahhhh, it's personal. Got it. Makes sense now.

Did all those people Obama killed with drones get due process?

No, and foreigners killed on foreign soil probably shouldn't be afforded due process under the constitution (although I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of due process is not very expansive, especially outside of the US).

My point was that the next few months will get interesting for due process, as in these raise interesting questions about due process, not that Trump's EO explicitly violates it. I even provided precedent ITT for what he's doing.

A lot more information because you can't definitely answers those questions with 100% certainty. Those are only a couple off the top of my head questions. Like others have posted, I will reserve judgement until all facts are out. But one fact is for sure, she was NOT deported.

You are correct, she was not deported. The person who tweeted misspoke. She was denied re-entry.

The bit about creating more terrorists is indeed speculation. The bit about her visa status is very well informed speculation as I work with many people on H1-B and my wife is a green card holder in the process of applying for citizenship. The other bit seems obvious - she is Iranian and she is not a citizen.

Seriously not looking to start a flame war (even though this thread will surely devolve into one if it hasn't in the time it took me to write this). What questions came to mind?

Did all those people Obama killed with drones get due process?

He was following the neo-conservative logic established under the Bush era that the Geneva conventions don't apply, its not happening on american soil to american citizens, non enemy combatants, etc. etc.

Stupid under Bush, stupid under Obama, it will be stupid with Trump.

Same stuff that justified torture that many around here can recite (and have recited) better than me...And did you hear we are back in the torture business? Like, officially, thanks to Trump.

Nothing more judeo Christian than state sponsored torture...amiright....

Lose a few good American citizens? No biggie...undermine the Constitution, not even going to bat an eye...no due process...meh.

Here is my question to anyone who is still in love with Trump. We banned 7 countries, right? None of those countries has ever had an immigrant kill an American on American soil, right? But S. Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Turkey, etc. etc. all have produced tons of terrorists who have killed a bunch of Americans and aren't in the ban.

So what is the point? And guess which countries Trump has economic interests and which ones he doesn't? He didn't ban any countries where he makes $$$.

Bad foreign policy. Does nothing strategic in the war on terror and messes with the rights of AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Please explain. (and here is where I wish we had like 8 major political parties so some of you wouldn't mind numbingly run this through a conservative lens the same way that liberals do when it is the exact opposite with an issue)
The point is these countries do not vet their own citizens well enough to pass our standards. Until they do, we won't accept their "papers."

Remeber, the Obama administration deported more people than any other president.

As a matter of fact, he deported more than the last 100 years of presidents combined have.

But let's go ahead demonize Trump. I am also sure we can blame Bush some how.

He got rid of a bunch of felons, what is your point? Nothing to do with refugees and Syrian children. Liberals and latinos hated it about him too, very vocal about it. But it should have been the one thing that conservatives loved about Obama.

You are correct, she was not deported. The person who tweeted misspoke. She was denied re-entry.

The bit about creating more terrorists is indeed speculation. The bit about her visa status is very well informed speculation as I work with many people on H1-B and my wife is a green card holder in the process of applying for citizenship. The other bit seems obvious - she is Iranian and she is not a citizen.

Seriously not looking to start a flame war (even though this thread will surely devolve into one if it hasn't in the time it took me to write this). What questions came to mind?

I'm not starting a flame war either. I have been researching information online on what is being told at Airlines and what I have found out so far is that Airlines have told passengers in other countries can continue on to the US if they have a visa "Nationals of the following countries: Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen ... may travel to the U.S. only if they are in possession of a permanent resident card (Green card) or any of the below visas."

Reactions: nmerritt11
No, and foreigners killed on foreign soil probably shouldn't be afforded due process under the constitution (although I'll be the first to admit that my understanding of due process is not very expansive, especially outside of the US).

My point was that the next few months will get interesting for due process, as in these raise interesting questions about due process, not that Trump's EO explicitly violates it. I even provided precedent ITT for what he's doing.

Due process has been gone for years in many senses. Trump isn't doing away with it any more than the last two administrations did.

That is what blows my mind with all of this trump BS. Even if Trump is terrible, it won't be any different than the last 16 years of terrible presidents.

Last edited:
He was following the neo-conservative logic established under the Bush era that the Geneva conventions don't apply, its not happening on american soil to american citizens, non enemy combatants, etc. etc.

Same stuff that justified torture that many around here can recite (and have recited) better than me...And did you hear we are back in the torture business? Like, officially, thanks to Trump.

Obama killing people with drones was actually bush's fault

Amazing

Reactions: griffgolf

You do realize that Trump is going to delegate torture to the SECDEF and Mattis has said that we ain't doing it.

I'm not starting a flame war either. I have been researching information online on what is being told at Airlines and what I have found out so far is that Airlines have told passengers in other countries can continue on to the US if they have a visa "Nationals of the following countries: Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen ... may travel to the U.S. only if they are in possession of a permanent resident card (Green card) or any of the below visas."

I imagine the airlines haven't had time to update their guidance because they're still trying to figure this all out. It's still only 24 hours old. That information sounds like it would have been accurate before yesterday. The EO is a blanket ban on admitting non-citizens from those countries.

He got rid of a bunch of felons, what is your point? Nothing to do with refugees and Syrian children. Liberals and latinos hated it about him too, very vocal about it. But it should have been the one thing that conservatives loved about Obama.

If Obama wouldn't not have fvcked up Syria and Libya, we wouldn't be in this situation. You figured he would learn from our mistakes in Iraq.

And Obama didn't only deport felons. There aren't 3 million felons out there to deport.

Trump's ideas of deportation are no different than Obama, he is just not quiet about it like Obama was.

Weak. It takes 18 months minimum, average of 2 years with significant background checks to get admitted to this country.

Its stringent and well done. Try again.
Ok we just don't like those countries. What do you want me to say? It's a freaking TEMPORARY ban, lasting 90 days. Plenty of time to figure some things out while we explore the process of letting those nationialities in.

Due process has been gone for years any many senses. Trump isn't going it any more than the last two administrations did.

That is what blows my mind with all of this trump BS. Even if Trump is terrible, it won't be any different than the last 16 years of terrible presidents.

Holy hell. Easily the smartest thing ive ever read from @Ron Munson. So Trump signs this temporary deal thats going to slow down the melting pot process. Get over yourselves people.

You should probably do a little more research before posting.

I imagine the airlines haven't had time to update their guidance because they're still trying to figure this all out. It's still only 24 hours old. That information sounds like it would have been accurate before yesterday. The EO is a blanket ban on admitting non-citizens from those countries.

That was directly from Qatar airlines website.

Those that were already in flight when the temporary ban took effect, kinda feel bad for them.

You should probably do a little more research before posting.

Oh shut up. There was a drafted executive order that had all of that on Friday. I hadn't seen that yesterday he now says he will defer to Mattis, the day before he wants to waterboard and throughout the campaign he was fine with torture. It is tough to keep up with a President who is flailing around like a dead trout.

But the reason why I brought it up still holds. Yes neocons with the patriot act, war on Iraq, torturing 'terrorists, guantanamo bay--you are going to put the origins of that on Obama? Now that is rich. I'm not defending Obama, like I said he was stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT