ADVERTISEMENT

Elon Musk

World renowned authority Suggon Deeznuts says parody is legal. Gavin denied

Thinking this is funny aside, what are your thoughts on AI videos and ads that use someone’s likeness/voice/etc without their permission and are potentially not shared as “parody” but disinformation? Not asking as a one side thing.

Thinking this is funny aside, what are your thoughts on AI videos and ads that use someone’s likeness/voice/etc without their permission and are potentially not shared as “parody” but disinformation? Not asking as a one side thing.

You can make the argument for regulating fake ads that are not marked PARODY.

If it's marked PARODY it's hard to argue that it doesn't fall under freedom of speech. Unless we want to make mocking people illegal. Libs would love that.

You can make the argument for regulating fake ads that are not marked PARODY.

If it's marked PARODY it's hard to argue that it doesn't fall under freedom of speech. Unless we want to make mocking people illegal. Libs would love that.
Even for Parody I may argue using their actual likeness and voice is questionable. But I suppose it somewhat depends on whether the poster is making money off their parody maybe. Mostly, even if they say parody, others can very easily then share it themselves without parody, and boom its viral. I also think this is a both sides risk.

Even for Parody I may argue using their actual likeness and voice is questionable. But I suppose it somewhat depends on whether the poster is making money off their parody maybe. Mostly, even if they say parody, others can very easily then share it themselves without parody, and boom its viral. I also think this is a both sides risk.
It has nothing to do with sides and everything to do with the constitution. The Government can not take away your right to speak. If you want to mock, poke fun at etc, that has been established as fair game for centuries.

The government has no business regulating parody, art, religion, or any other type of speech. It's seems pretty clear cut to me.

It has nothing to do with sides and everything to do with the constitution. The Government can not take away your right to speak. If you want to mock, poke fun at etc, that has been established as fair game for centuries.

The government has no business regulating parody, art, religion, or any other type of speech. It's seems pretty clear cut to me.
I agree it doesn't have to do with sides. But when the discussion starts due to one side, it can be taken that way, so I was clarifying before it felt like a specific attack when it wasn't intended to be.

I also think you're somewhat simplifying the issue. I agree that someone in public life can be parodied. But I think using exact likeness/voice/etc is a little bit grayer line. I think it could also leak over into libel territory. Yes, if they make it clear it is parody (which something like SNL, or a skit is clear), it is one thing, but exact likeness is another. I just think its dangerous. Would be pretty easy to use AI to make a parody of Trump saying some plans to subvert the election in private to a reporter, have someone post it using Parody, then everyone else run away with it. They would be using his exact likeness, his exact voice (or close to both of those as much of public figures for both likeness/voice is out there). Just think it is dangerous and while if someone has the right to video someone else (say at an event, etc), I'm not sure they have the right to do with whatever else they want from there and to call it free speech.

Reactions: okclem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT