ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Covid Cases Out of Control

TMcGrady1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2003
I live in Florida, and as most of you have probably seen, the state set a national record with 15,300 plus new cases day over day. The deaths are starting to spike, and many of the hospitals are completely full in the ICU (at least 40).

For anyone who follows it closely or knows more about this stuff, what is it going to take for the cases to peak and start relatively declining? I would say some people are wearing masks, but you can drive down the main drag in my town on a weekend and it looks like it could be July 2019 with people everywhere and very few masks.

With DeSantis saying there will be no more shutdown and schools opening at all levels full speed ahead, are we just at the mercy of covid now? I get it, I’m in my 30’s and have no known underlying conditions, but I still want to avoid it at all costs especially with parents here around 70.

It just seems Florida is close to the point of no return and the exponential growth could cause it to explode even more to the point where many millions will get it.

Last edited:
I live in Orlando, and as most of you have probably seen, Florida set a national record with 15,300 plus new cases day over day. The deaths are starting to spike, and many of the hospitals are completely full in the ICU (at least 40). For anyone who follows it closely or knows more about this stuff, what is it going to take for the cases to peak and start relatively declining? I would say some people are wearing masks, but you can drive down the main drag in my town on a weekend and it looks like it could be July 2019 with people everywhere and very few masks. With DeSantis saying there will be no more shutdown and schools opening at all levels full speed ahead, are we just at the mercy of covid now? I get it, I’m in my 30’s and have no known underlying conditions, but I still want to avoid it at all costs especially with parents here around 70. It just seems Florida is close to the point of no return and the exponential growth could cause it to explode even more to the point where many millions will get it.
I think this is interesting here.

I live in Orlando, and as most of you have probably seen, Florida set a national record with 15,300 plus new cases day over day. The deaths are starting to spike, and many of the hospitals are completely full in the ICU (at least 40). For anyone who follows it closely or knows more about this stuff, what is it going to take for the cases to peak and start relatively declining? I would say some people are wearing masks, but you can drive down the main drag in my town on a weekend and it looks like it could be July 2019 with people everywhere and very few masks. With DeSantis saying there will be no more shutdown and schools opening at all levels full speed ahead, are we just at the mercy of covid now? I get it, I’m in my 30’s and have no known underlying conditions, but I still want to avoid it at all costs especially with parents here around 70. It just seems Florida is close to the point of no return and the exponential growth could cause it to explode even more to the point where many millions will get it.
Don't worry about us older folks. We have common sense. Open it up and let everyone take care of themselves. I don't need the GD Government telling me a mofo thing how I should live and protect myself. You're a freaking imbecile if you need the Guvment to tell you any damned thing about how to do anything that affects your life.

Then let nature take over....and the scientists.

Serious question:

Are there any antibody positive tests in that number?

Someone that had it in April and is cured with no active infection should not be counted in the positive tests.

Yet I’m hearing many states and the CDC are lumping positive antibody tests in with positive PCR infection tests. They are two totally different things.

Just cancelled my Vegas trip
200.gif

I don’t know the answer(s). But I don’t think anyone does which is why I find it laughable that so many on here, the government, in the media, etc.... spew out answers like their specific answer is definitely the right way to do it.

I’m all for opening up the economy because I’ve seen the toll it’s taken on some already, SMBs specifically. But I’m also going to do my part and wear a mask in public if it means the particles from my breathing is limited even a little percent (whatever the percentage is).

As for Florida specifically, I went to a bachelor party at Santa Rosa Beach and I was pretty amazed how little care some people (whether local or tourists, I couldn’t tell) had towards social distancing. One guy came in after me in the bathroom to take a piss and finished before me and I swear on the bible the dude didn’t wash his hands. This was at an oyster bar so ... yeah ...

Last edited:
I live in Orlando, and as most of you have probably seen, Florida set a national record with 15,300 plus new cases day over day. The deaths are starting to spike, and many of the hospitals are completely full in the ICU (at least 40).

For anyone who follows it closely or knows more about this stuff, what is it going to take for the cases to peak and start relatively declining? I would say some people are wearing masks, but you can drive down the main drag in my town on a weekend and it looks like it could be July 2019 with people everywhere and very few masks.

With DeSantis saying there will be no more shutdown and schools opening at all levels full speed ahead, are we just at the mercy of covid now? I get it, I’m in my 30’s and have no known underlying conditions, but I still want to avoid it at all costs especially with parents here around 70.

It just seems Florida is close to the point of no return and the exponential growth could cause it to explode even more to the point where many millions will get it.

People are absolutely not going to wear masks outside for the most part. Don’t expect to drive down the strip of a beach and actually see people wearing masks outside. It just will not ever happen.

I don’t know the answer(s). But I don’t think anyone does which I find it laughable that so many on here, the government, in the media, etc.... spew out answers like their specific answer is definitely the right way to do it.

I’m all for opening up the economy because I’ve seen the toll it’s taken on some already, SMBs specifically. But I’m also going to do my part and wear a mask in public if it means the particles from my breathing is limited even a little percent (whatever the percentage is).

As for Florida specifically, I went to a bachelor party at Santa Rosa Beach and I was pretty amazed how little care some people (whether local or tourists, I couldn’t tell) had towards social distancing. One guy came in after me in the bathroom to take a piss and finished before me and I swear on the bible the dude didn’t wash his hands. This was at an oyster bar so ... yeah ...
The whole hand washing thing has blown my mind. Grown people having to be reminded to wash their hands. Growing up you could not sit at the table until you washed your hands. You could not touch the fridge without washing your hands. You washed your hands after all bathroom visits. It was just common sense. I guess I should not be surprised but I was.

Last edited:
I don’t know the answer(s). But I don’t think anyone does which I find it laughable that so many on here, the government, in the media, etc.... spew out answers like their specific answer is definitely the right way to do it.

Well please tell me what mask definitely works bc no one can even agree on that issue

The positivity rate is lower in Florida. The sudden jump from ~10k cases a day to ~15k cases can largely be attributed to increased testing...for just today.

Covid is spreading in Florida and cases are accelerating. If not controlled, it will eventually hit the elderly, and the deaths will come. Management of patients is better than in March...but this will also delay when covid deaths actually occur. deaths will likely peak 3-4 weeks from the infections. I suspect with the few treatment options we have, short term mortality will stay around 1 to 1.5% not accounting for longer term mortality.

Masks definitely work.

University of Chicago said otherwise. Maybe we should go with "Masks definitely maybe work."

And if the masks "definitely work" and we have had masks policies in place for more than, wait for it. ...... "two weeks", then why are we seeing record amounts of cases? If masks work then why would we not have football games and why would we not go to school?

Last edited:
I live in Orlando, and as most of you have probably seen, Florida set a national record with 15,300 plus new cases day over day. The deaths are starting to spike, and many of the hospitals are completely full in the ICU (at least 40).

South Carolina ain’t any different.

University of Chicago said otherwise. Maybe we should go with "Masks definitely maybe work."

And if the masks "definitely work" and we have had masks policies in place for more than, wait for it. ...... "two weeks", then why are we seeing record amounts of cases?

because people don’t wear them around family and friends in private, and also don’t wear them generally in other places they should + awful hygiene.

masks probably work, and that should be enough for people to wear them when they are in crowded public places.

whether we wear them because it’s mandatory or just basic human decency is another question.

Please note they dumped old test data today... 135K test were not done my friend that is why they got 16K cases... Not to say it is not getting worse but have to keep it in context.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
If hospitals continue to fill up and the death rate starts to tick up, I dont see how South Carolina doesn't avoid more closures. Closing dine in eating would hurt tourism but my guess is they try to ride this until labor day and hope numbers start to decline.

I think this is interesting here.
I don’t know if he’s trolling or just lacks common sense but if he really thinks that it was due to NY’s response and not the fact that COVID-19 was essentially brand new in the US and there was no understanding of how to respond to or treat it by ANYONE, he’s so blinded by want he wants to believe to try and make a point that he can’t see how incredibly stupid that is.

It’s so funny the circles you COVID-deniers/Trumpers spin, first it’s not going to hit SC/the South but then the rationale is it’s not nearly as strong now as it was, etc etc. You people have touted that idea as another reason to return to normal and now you’re going to point fingers at NY for how “incompetent” its response was to a pandemic? The idea of even comparing a response now to March/April is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

I don’t know if he’s trolling or just lacks common sense but if he really thinks that it was due to NY’s response and not the fact that COVID-19 was essentially brand new in the US and there was no understanding of how to respond to or treat it by ANYONE, he’s so blinded by want he wants to believe to try and make a point that he can’t see how incredibly stupid that is.

It’s so funny the circles you COVID-deniers/Trumpers spin, first it’s not going to hit SC/the South but then the rationale is it’s not nearly as strong now as it was, etc etc. You people have touted that idea as another reason to return to normal and now you’re going to point fingers at NY for how “incompetent” its response was to a pandemic? The idea of even comparing a response now to March/April is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

New York’s response in nursing homes was incompetent. That is a fact. You disagree?

Please note they dumped old test data today... 135K test were not done my friend that is why they got 16K cases... Not to say it is not getting worse but have to keep it in context.

can you elaborate on this. I’m in FL, as well.

I live in Orlando too and the amount of people not wearing masks still amazes me. Plus you have the anti-mask crowd that sees masks as a political thing vs an effort for the greater good.
rtg20200701-0054.jpg

Reactions: TMcGrady1
can you elaborate on this. I’m in FL, as well.
135,000 tests were done yesterday when the next highest daily test record had been 89,000. So even though there was a record number of absolute new cases, there were also a record number of negative tests from the 135,000. The positivity rate actually dropped for the third consecutive day even though 15,300 new cases is 15,300 new cases.

Last edited:
I live in Orlando too and the amount of people not wearing masks still amazes me. Plus you have the anti-mask crowd that sees masks as a political thing vs an effort for the greater good.
rtg20200701-0054.jpg

Simply don’t understand the politicization of masks. Pretty staunchly conservative here, and even if masks were completely useless - which, they probably aren’t despite conflicting data - it’s just not a major imposition for me to wear one.

rtg20200701-0054.jpg

I love the idiots that say “well most protestors wear masks and socially distance.” Bullshit, these people are all over each other, all over cops face to face with them, they get a free pass from the media, and people wonder why a month after all this started the country is burning down with Covid cases. Look I’m all for the right to protest, but the media literally didn’t talk about Covid for a month during the height of the mass gatherings they were actively encouraging.

I love the idiots that say “well most protestors wear masks and socially distance.” Bullshit, these people are all over each other, all over cops face to face with them, they get a free pass from the media, and people wonder why a month after all this started the country is burning down with Covid cases. Look I’m all for the right to protest, but the media literally didn’t talk about Covid for a month during the height of the mass gatherings they were actively encouraging.

Not sure the correlation is there but I’m not an expert. Seems like the states that didn’t take things too seriously and/or reopened things faster than other states are the ones with the spike in cases. Not saying right or wrong, but time will tell....At the very least, wearing a mask and social distancing is the best course of action at this point and not sure if our fellow Floridians want to do that.

Reactions: cvljmjm
I don’t know the answer(s). But I don’t think anyone does which is why I find it laughable that so many on here, the government, in the media, etc.... spew out answers like their specific answer is definitely the right way to do it.

Anyone eating oysters in July from Florida is already taking a chance I would not take.

Put me in the camp of wear a mask and social distance while opening things back up.

What is funny is that most liberals have been convinced that trump supporters dont wear masks and truly believe the Virus is a hoax. That really isnt true in the least.

i would say most of us that arent blaming Trump believe in the virus. I just dont believe it is the crazy epidemic the MSM portrays. Masks help I think, social distancing helps, limiting my time in public helps. But the stats are all effing lies and made up crap. I am somewhat of a statistician and there is a lot of truth that there are crazy inaccuracies to the numbers of positive tests, causes of death, and even negative tests.

this virus is conveniently set up stats wise to be able to not be challenged with statistics. Someone can claim it caused this or that and another can do the complete opposite. I have tried to find out what the annual trend for causes of death are illness wise and it is hard to find any concrete answers. Specifically about the flu. I wanted to see if there was an actual i crease in deaths or if the COVID deaths were just other causes reclassified COVID. Or have we actually seen an i crease of 130k deaths during this period. But the CDC reports flu deaths last year as 24k-60k. Lots of wiggle room in there. Why so inaccurate?

How many asymptomatic people had a false positive? Are there any asymptomatic positive influenza cases?

when you tie funding to COVID cases then people will do whatever they can to get money. Especially hospitals where funding is tough to come by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT