ADVERTISEMENT

Hospitalizations up over 30% & Positive test rate up to 21%

Japan was able to shut down the virus with something like 800 deaths, without having to resort to lockdowns/shutdowns, because their population is willing to do things like wear masks, avoid gatherings. Meanwhile, we're just too stupid to take common sense measures- and think that just because we have a right to do something, we should do that thing.
Exactly! Just because you have the right to protest, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: scartiger
Exactly! Just because you have the right to protest, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Well, since you brought it up- it's worth pointing out that there's no evidence suggesting that the protests lead to a significant increase in cases. Instead, the increases correlate directly with the re-opening of bars/restaurants/retail establishments.

Somebody told me yesterday, these people flocking to a test site in their cars and waiting 6+ hours to get a test, it's like going to the Voting polls and getting the sticker saying "You Voted". People think it's cool that they waited in a long line and tweeted about it and they didn't have any symptoms going in, just wanted to be in the line.

I disagree. Power hungry might have resulted in massive testing, isolation of positive cases, and contact tracing, early on. Our leadership opted for the head in the sand approach because they didn't want to spook the stock market. And- the Japanese people have a much different response to their government telling them what to do.
We are essentially talking about the same thing just in different context. I believe they stuck their heads in the sand and never mentioned a mask for 2 months knowing exactly what would happen. Yes Japan is different in their view of the government. I think we are both agreeing the US government is the reason we are at this point. Perhaps from different views as to why but at the root it’s still what they did and didn’t do that got us here.

Not all hospital beds are appropriate for COVID19 patients. Many require negative pressure rooms & ICU level care. So- I'm not sure why DHEC is even reporting on the overall capacity. As you point out- it's confusing- and make the picture seem better than it is. ICU capacity is the more relevant figure.

Another thing is the distinction between being hospitalized WITH covid19 vs hospitalized FOR covid19. Those are different and the difference matters.

Regardless, on June 8 there were about 500 patients in hospital beds in SC who were either presumptive positive or had tested positive. Today there are over 1,400 . . .
Out of the 7 Emory facilities that treat Covid patients ICU (Covid) numbers in March mid 80s to low 90s, 4 weeks ago the low was 25 in ICU, last week mid 50s and yesterday 86 in ICU. Not a good trend for the most serious cases.

Well, since you brought it up- it's worth pointing out that there's no evidence suggesting that the protests lead to a significant increase in cases. Instead, the increases correlate directly with the re-opening of bars/restaurants/retail establishments.

You win the “this makes zero sense” award.

Reactions: scartiger
Out of the 7 Emory facilities that treat Covid patients ICU (Covid) numbers in March mid 80s to low 90s, 4 weeks ago the low was 25 in ICU, last week mid 50s and yesterday 86 in ICU. Not a good trend for the most serious cases.
And the $12 million pop up facility they did at the Congress Center saw 8 beds put to use. Media scare tactics.

Logic tells me that's impossible. Both scenes increased the spread.

if you read the article I posted you’ll see the protests actually led to increased social distancing behaviors. For the protests here, everyone was wearing masks and avoided clumping together.

But- the main point of my initial post is that SC is trending in the wrong direction.

if you read the article I posted you’ll see the protests actually led to increased social distancing behaviors. For the protests here, everyone was wearing masks and avoided clumping together.

But- the main point of my initial post is that SC is trending in the wrong direction.
I read it and it doesn't jive at all with the protests I saw with my own two eyes. Mobs of people are mobs of people whether in a bar or protesting the cops

Last edited:
The key word in your statement is significant. Make no mistake, I am not saying protests are THE reason for increased cases. The number of protesters is a small fraction of the number of people who have gone to bars,restaurants, etc. However, anyone who condemns one group and excuses the other is being extremely hypocritical. The vast majority of protest were without social distancing. If the lack of social distancing increases the spread of the virus, then you don't need a study to tell you the protest increased cases.
Anyone who makes the argument that I may spread or contract the virus by sitting at a table next to someone several feet away in a restaurant, but not by being in a crowd of people who are forcefully exerting breath by screaming has zero credibility.

if you read the article I posted you’ll see the protests actually led to increased social distancing behaviors. For the protests here, everyone was wearing masks and avoided clumping together.[/B]

Laughable

They have created a lose lose situation. It doesn’t matter what we do in regards to the virus. They knew that in the beginning. It took them multiple decades to condition people into this trap but it worked. I love how I keep seeing “WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.” If anything that should prove what they are doing.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
They have created a lose lose situation. It doesn’t matter what we do in regards to the virus. They knew that in the beginning. It took them multiple decades to condition people into this trap but it worked. I love how I keep seeing “WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.” If anything that should prove what they are doing.
Who’s “they”?

Reactions: TICrack
To add to these facts... the hospital I work at in the upstate has ICUs beyond capacity, same with ED and now has canceled all elective surgery again. We have gone in the wrong direction.
But how many are Covid patients? What percentage?

I was being sarcastic
Understood, which is why I put it in quotes. We have been hearing two weeks for a while now. The likelihood that we are at record rates for weeks with no massive corresponding increases in death strains credibility. Even if it initially is primarily young people, at some point there must be spread to older and sicker folks too. We have been at "record" infection levels for weeks now in many states.

I was confirmed positive last Thursday but have stayed out of these threads that only turn into pissing matches. I fully expected to be dead in 2 weeks based on what I hear from Fauci (slightly kidding). What I can say about myself having it is that I've been much more sick in the past with the flu, and also had a bout with common strep last December where I felt much worse than Covid has made me feel. The main issue I've had is with fatigue. I know it affects people differently and I'm all for protecting those at higher risk, but shutting down the economy and the negative effects that has on people's livelihoods over this is an absolute travesty, and a tyrannical overreach by the government that is supposed to serve its people.

I was confirmed positive last Thursday but have stayed out of these threads that only turn into pissing matches. I fully expected to be dead in 2 weeks based on what I hear from Fauci (slightly kidding). What I can say about myself having it is that I've been much more sick in the past with the flu, and also had a bout with common strep last December where I felt much worse than Covid has made me feel. The main issue I've had is with fatigue. I know it affects people differently and I'm all for protecting those at higher risk, but shutting down the economy and the negative effects that has on people's livelihoods over this is an absolute travesty, and a tyrannical overreach by the government that is supposed to serve its people.
Thank you! Perhaps the post of the year!

Your honest, factual post is greatly appreciated. Feel better soon.

Somebody told me yesterday, these people flocking to a test site in their cars and waiting 6+ hours to get a test, it's like going to the Voting polls and getting the sticker saying "You Voted". People think it's cool that they waited in a long line and tweeted about it and they didn't have any symptoms going in, just wanted to be in the line.
But 20% of them are testing positive. Seems like something we want to know...

We are essentially talking about the same thing just in different context. I believe they stuck their heads in the sand and never mentioned a mask for 2 months knowing exactly what would happen. Yes Japan is different in their view of the government. I think we are both agreeing the US government is the reason we are at this point. Perhaps from different views as to why but at the root it’s still what they did and didn’t do that got us here.

no, you arent. you think this is a liberal plot to destroy trump/america, thats not at all what @AustinTiger77 is arguing...

Reactions: AustinTiger77
I suspect it was much more lethal a few months back. The death rates in NYC and surrounding areas are wholly inconsistent with what we have seen elsewhere. Rather than that be a function of location, weather, ages of patients, testing rates, positive rates, etc., I personally am beginning to believe it is a function of the fact that the initial spread was primarily in greater NYC and the spread to other locations was primarily later after the virus had weakened after filtering through several layers of hosts. We should know the answer to this hypothesis later this month. If correct, then hopefully we can isolate old folks and those with compromised immunity and have a football season. Folks in the south, I suspect, will insist on it if there is not a corresponding massive spike in deaths and hospitalizations within 4 weeks of the massive spike in cases. I have joked with co-workers that I am working on a rough draft of articles of impeachment for various governors if my hypothesis proves true and there is still an attempt to ban college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT