ADVERTISEMENT

My Personal China Virus (Covid) Experience

TopGun01

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2001
I've made several posts since March as to my personal thoughts regarding the nation's overreaction to this pandemic and the costs of shutting down the economy versus real health risks. My wife and I have all along been poster kids for the "coronavirus doesn't scare us" position. We wear masks only as required to enter certain stores and never anywhere else. We think people driving down the road with masks on look like complete morons. We've attended numerous parties since March, dined and danced wherever possible, and even vacationed last month in Mexico.

But the Covid rascal finally caught up with us in Mexico. Immediately upon returning home we began to experience weird symptoms and went to see our physician. Bingo -- we were Covid positive! I want to say up front that I'm not promoting our lifestyle as something others should emulate. The disease is real and we actually have a 71-year old family member who died of complications due to it back in June. But folks, the guy had been sick with lung disease for over 20 years. My mother is 85 and lives with heart issues. I've not been closer to her than 6'-8' in 5 months. That's only appropriate considering her higher odds of risking death if infected. So I understand and care about at risk people getting sick.

Our experience over the last 30 days included nausea, headaches and serious fatigue. But there were no bouts of fever or coughing for either of us. We're in decent shape (she's a flat out hottie but nope I can't post a pic) and in our 60's. I don't wish Covid on anyone but it's not terrible either. Frankly the degree of discomfort over 2 weeks time was worth it to now be able to say we've experienced it and likely built up antibodies for life.

I realize this disease has killed thousands. And yes occasionally healthy people are hospitalized. But that's very rare regardless of what the media tells you. We went though it and can honestly say it's effects were easier to handle than the common flu. Why would college kids and even younger children stay at home scared shitless about the perceived risk? Their mental health is suffering folks, not to mention their checkbooks. Sure you can search and find a special situation where sadly someone died. But damn, that happens even with lightning strikes once and awhile. Imo the world doesn't need to go full retard and shut down like it's leprosy or the black plague.

One more interesting point. We know over a dozen people who have tested positive. NOT ONE OF THEM has been called by anyone associated with DHEC, CDC, etc. There has been ZERO contact tracing or questionnaires filled out by any of us. What does that tell you? While the government hyped up the official position that follow/up was critical back in the early days, now it's not even mentioned! Were this Ebola level contagious, don't you think we'd have been monitored more closely?

If you're uncomfortable with the risks, then by all means stay home! You'll look ridiculous with a mask on at a restaurant! I don't begrudge you for feeling differently -- but why call us irresponsible because we disagree? Last I heard this is still a free America. I won't be wearing a mask at a Clemson football game unless it's simply for the minute it takes to get through gate security. My conscience is at ease that I'll not infect others -- and I'm happily blessed to have caught the virus and never changed much about my life along the way.

I've made several posts since March as to my personal thoughts regarding the nation's overreaction to this pandemic and the costs of shutting down the economy versus real health risks. My wife and I have all along been poster kids for the "coronavirus doesn't scare us" position. We wear masks only as required to enter certain stores and never anywhere else. We think people driving down the road with masks on look like complete morons. We've attended numerous parties since March, dined and danced wherever possible, and even vacationed last month in Mexico.

But the Covid rascal finally caught up with us in Mexico. Immediately upon returning home we began to experience weird symptoms and went to see our physician. Bingo -- we were Covid positive! I want to say up front that I'm not promoting our lifestyle as something others should emulate. The disease is real and we actually have a 71-year old family member who died of complications due to it back in June. But folks, the guy had been sick with lung disease for over 20 years. My mother is 85 and lives with heart issues. I've not been closer to her than 6'-8' in 5 months. That's only appropriate considering her higher odds of risking death if infected. So I understand and care about at risk people getting sick.

Our experience over the last 30 days included nausea, headaches and serious fatigue. But there were no bouts of fever or coughing for either of us. We're in decent shape (she's a flat out hottie but nope I can't post a pic) and in our 60's. I don't wish Covid on anyone but it's not terrible either. Frankly the degree of discomfort over 2 weeks time was worth it to now be able to say we've experienced it and likely built up antibodies for life.

I realize this disease has killed thousands. And yes occasionally healthy people are hospitalized. But that's very rare regardless of what the media tells you. We went though it and can honestly say it's effects were easier to handle than the common flu. Why would college kids and even younger children stay at home scared shitless about the perceived risk? Their mental health is suffering folks, not to mention their checkbooks. Sure you can search and find a special situation where sadly someone died. But damn, that happens even with lightning strikes once and awhile. Imo the world doesn't need to go full retard and shut down like it's leprosy or the black plague.

One more interesting point. We know over a dozen people who have tested positive. NOT ONE OF THEM has been called by anyone associated with DHEC, CDC, etc. There has been ZERO contact tracing or questionnaires filled out by any of us. What does that tell you? While the government hyped up the official position that follow/up was critical back in the early days, now it's not even mentioned! Were this Ebola level contagious, don't you think we'd have been monitored more closely?

If you're uncomfortable with the risks, then by all means stay home! You'll look ridiculous with a mask on at a restaurant! I don't begrudge you for feeling differently -- but why call us irresponsible because we disagree? Last I heard this is still a free America. I won't be wearing a mask at a Clemson football game unless it's simply for the minute it takes to get through gate security. My conscience is at ease that I'll not infect others -- and I'm happily blessed to have caught the virus and never changed much about my life along the way.
Where’d you go in MX? Curious as to if you thought the resort and everyone around you was taking necessary precautions.

Reactions: BAnksMcFadden
My family and I had Covid19. My wife and I are 40 and kids are 12 and 9. My kids and I had what amounted to a lingering cold with the total loss of smell and limited taste. My wife got really tired and slept 12 hours one night and that was it. The doctor told me that almost all cases he has dealt with were like mine. This thing is definitely over blown and points to the overwhelming health problems that exist in the American population that have been a problem for decades. Fix those and you fix all the other issues!

Glad you and the Mrs are good now Rick.

I agree totally with your post. The Gov't and Media have used this for full control now and successful in their quest. Fear and panic in full display the last 7 months or so and will continue for the near future.

The sheep have been corralled and this is the new norm.

Just a guess, but will probably have to wear a mask during the entire game instead of just walking through the gates. Which I'll gladly do!

What a great post . Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing. At this point, you would have to be an idiot to not see that there is a HUGE political component to this thing as there is with most things that come out of the media and government agencies.

I hope antibodies are for life. Not every virus is like that. Glad you’re good.

... I understand and care about at risk people getting sick...I won't be wearing a mask at a Clemson football game.
I'm grateful that you and your family are okay. Could you clarify these two thoughts? I want to best understand your story. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I have a neighbor that finished CU recently and spent the first part of the year in Clemson ....doing student / young people things . He caught the virus . He lost his sense of smell and taste for a week , felt a little sluggish and that was it . No fever , no cough , no cold . No problems . Now has antibodies and is living normally . Same thing with a niece who finished USC recently . Don’t think this thing is bad for the vast majority of kids to millennials. I would not be afraid for my son or grandsons to play football .

What’s it to you? It’s his post and he can share what he likes . The left and media made the China virus political, so it’s kind of hard to avoid.
Just as this was my post and I shared what I wanted to. Making it political was his choice. It really isn't hard to avoid. "The media made me do it" is an interesting excuse. Appreciate you sharing your perspective.

Reactions: FIDUCE

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are well. I agree with you. The media focuses on the few worst case scenarios and ignores the most likely impact. I get the unpredictability is scary. But the facts are that the overwhelming majority of Americans won't be impacted directly by the virus.

What’s it to you? It’s his post and he can share what he likes . The left and media made the China virus political, so it’s kind of hard to avoid.

I love how the right always blame the symptoms but never the cause.

I had Covid before it was cool. I contracted Covid in late February as it was just reaching the states, or what we thought of as just reaching the states. I had worse symptoms than you even though I would consider myself healthy (I am a regular TI guy, so athletic as hell and a 30" waist). I was very fatigued for 3 days, a fever for the same amount of time, severe headache, and no taste. I then had a bad cough for another two weeks.

I say all that as I am in your same boat. It felt like a bad flu for me. Mono was worse. I am not sure why anyone feels the need to shelter. I understand that people can and do die from this. But what are flu deaths this year? Oh wait.....No one has had the flu.

One could refer to it as, telling the truth.
Yes one could. And one could reply that there is only one, real truth (John 14:6). Everything else is just an individual interpretation and at last count I believe there are over 7 billion of those. I feel certain you knew that already as you seem to be a pretty smart guy.

I'm 40, wife 37, son 11, daughter 8, daughter 6 and a 3rd daughter that is 3. We all had it. Took 1 week to run through us all. Daughter 8 was first and I was last. Both of us tested positive and she tested positive twice. She threw up 1 time and had a headache. She was ready to play 2 days later. No kids had symptoms longer than 2 days. Temps for all of us never reach 101.

I will say my energy was down an entire week after I had a fever. I still worked in my garage on the weekend and never missed work. 3 weeks now clear according to CDC guidelines and I still cannot smell.

CDC DID contact me when my daughter tested positive. I gave 2 contacts of friends that kinda came in contact with her. No one contacted me when I tested positive.

Other than that, all good. Kids started school today!

Last edited:
Yes one could. And one could reply that there is only one, real truth (John 14:6). Everything else is just an individual interpretation and at last count I believe there are over 7 billion of those. I feel certain you knew that already as you seem to be a pretty smart guy.

That’s deep... and I agree. In continuation, one could also say God created right and wrong (references throughout), and proclaim liberals have perversely used a virus as an engine for their election year agenda in a very wrong fashion.

I'm asking you, what in the post are you referring to as being too political? I'm not seeing it, but I am skimming.
Hey man, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. For me, the last three paragraphs were political.

My wish is that the board move away from the politics which almost always lead to vituperation. I was hoping start of camp would ease that, but I guess not.

OP had a great story to share and I simply believe it should/could have stood on its own merit. That is all.

Reactions: scott in nashville
Where’d you go in MX? Curious as to if you thought the resort and everyone around you was taking necessary precautions.
Excellence Riviera Maya Resort south of Cancun. The rule in their province limits occupancy to 30%, though most returning guests told us the resort was more likely about 60% full the week we were there. There is no protocol at US or Mexican airports re testing. At the hotel entrance, our temperature was checked. Being 99 degrees or below got you into the resort with no questions asked. Absolutely every worker there wore masks 100% of the time. I saw rooms being washed down between guest' arrivals. But as guests we were free to practice whatever distancing and mask wearing we desired. I'd say less than 10% of guests practiced any distancing / mask policy at all.

Last edited:
Glad you and the Mrs are good now Rick.

I agree totally with your post. The Gov't and Media have used this for full control now and successful in their quest. Fear and panic in full display the last 7 months or so and will continue for the near future.

The sheep have been corralled and this is the new norm.

Just a guess, but will probably have to wear a mask during the entire game instead of just walking through the gates. Which I'll gladly do!
Thanks buddy! Wearing a mask has many definitions. I can assure you that covering my face all day isn't gonna happen. Too damn hot!

That’s deep... and I agree. In continuation, one could also say God created right and wrong (references throughout), and proclaim liberals have perversely used a virus as an engine for their election year agenda in a very wrong fashion.
I am confident that there will be liberals, conservatives, and moderates (like me) that will stand in His judgment when that time comes. As for me, I'm trying to keep it simple by loving God and people (all of them). Now that we have that out of the way, what is the backstory on the "Cocks are Number 1" thing?

I'm grateful that you and your family are okay. Could you clarify these two thoughts? I want to best understand your story. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sure thing. First, I was assured by our physician that I'm 100% free of covid and couldn't infect another person if I tried. Secondly, even if the first point wasn't true, I'd never purposely get near or touch another person at the game especially if I was coughing. And that was never a symptom with me.

Reactions: Trap Game
I can confirm that OP's wife is a certified hottie for any age. I can also certify that OP is none of that. Lol

Glad you're ok. I need you to stick around long enough for me to rub my Brad takes in your old, ornery face! This season will just be the start of that. :eek:
I NEVER thought I'd say this, but I'm optimistic about BB's future. The uptick in recruiting wasn't on my radar. I'll never be as sold as you or CUPlayer, but I'm warming up for sure.

Sure thing. First, I was assured by our physician that I'm 100% free of covid and couldn't infect another person if I tried. Secondly, even if the first point wasn't true, I'd never purposely get near or touch another person at the game especially if I was coughing. And that was never a symptom with me.
My guess is that if you (we) are allowed into a game, you will be promptly escorted out if you remove your mask...

Reactions: KansasClemson215
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT