ADVERTISEMENT

My Personal China Virus (Covid) Experience

Did you happen to stay at Grand Solmar? CaboTiger's beautiful bride can hook you up with the best accommodations there. But the August heat is a bitch!
Unless you're a masochist, Caribbean heat in the summer ain't fun. Nor The Keys. February in Islamorada is heavan. Sail fishing and trying for a Bonefish and a Permit in the same day is challenging. Two guides can get expensive for a day. Then fish areas you fished with the guides. A great friend (who lost his way and has passed now) and 2 nice young ladies spent 2 weeks on a houseboat. Wake up and fish for tarpon. Fishing the Atlantic and Gulf passes can net you some of the sweetest tasting Mangrove Snapper fishing near sunset. It's a poor man's Carribbean. However, Ernest Hemingway might differ with most folks. His Cuba and Key West stories about him when men were men and could tell s woman what to do are fascinating.

Hey man, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. For me, the last three paragraphs were political.

My wish is that the board move away from the politics which almost always lead to vituperation. I was hoping start of camp would ease that, but I guess not.

OP had a great story to share and I simply believe it should/could have stood on its own merit. That is all.

then stop posting. All your posts have been political then you try and blame someone else. Comical

Did you happen to stay at Grand Solmar? CaboTiger's beautiful bride can hook you up with the best accommodations there. But the August heat is a bitch!
Nah we go there every year in late July when the heat is still a bitch. We stay in the owner's condo at Club Cascadas de Baja. I'm not sure there is a better deal. Rooms come out to roughly $400 a night and they provide people to cook, clean, and serve us drinks. We get to provide the food and drinks at cost and get several private pools and a swim up bar to our own.

edit: and a private beach that is even private from the resorts private beach.

Last edited:
My family (4) and my Bro in laws family (6) shared a vacation home July 4th. BIL and his fam began feeling bad fever , cough, etc and left after only a couple days. He tested positive and soon after the rest of us had similar symptoms and got tested. Eventually thru testing we verified that 6 of the ten had the virus per positive test results but two that had negative results also had the virus because they had cough, fever , fatigue and loss of smell and taste just as those who tested positive. That's total of eight confirmed through either test results or like symptoms and a ninth family member didn't test but had same symptoms. Only one of the ten had no symptoms and tested negative. So 9 of 10 that shared house had the virus and symptoms of it. Only one (a diabetic) needed any medical attention. She was in her early 50s and required a couple pints of fluids from ER visit to get over it. Slight fever ,fatigue, and cough were the worst symptoms any of the rest of us had.

We all fully recovered and most only felt bad for 3 or 4 days. I personally had dull headache one day (not even bad enough to take aspirin) that lasted a couple hours. Next day fever 99. 4 at bedtime, next day was no fever or aches . Rest of the time I experienced just a wierd feeling occasionally throughout the next couple days with occasional cough. Everyone I talked to who has had this virus has at some point loss taste and smell.

Overall 8 of 9 that had it would have been classified as mild cases in my opinion.

God was with us and I am thankful.

Hoping this will help others who have questions about virus.

I am happy you and your family are well and were not too badly affected. I agree with you. Trump made a mistake asking the country and economy to shut down. We will likely never understand the true economic cost of it.

I didn’t vote for Trump (I didn’t vote for Hillary either) But I almost feel bad for the guy. Every decision that he makes is wrong according to one side of the Congressional aisle.

I don’t agree with long term shutdowns but you make decisions based on the info that you had available to you at the time. The info at the time was extremely mixed.

To counteract the shutdown, he pushed hard for a stimulus package.

but what does it say about our country that the stimulus package of the 1930s was giving US citizens money by putting them to work but the stimulus package of 2019/2020 was giving US citizens free handouts which encouraged them not to work?

That's so true Johnny. K and I booked the RM trip for March and then Covid killed it. We moved it to April, then May, then finally the summer before airline travel allowed it. Tell your sweet bride we're coming back to Cabo soon though -- wish it could be in November as I remember that's a great time for the big fishing tourneys and Hagar's buddies playing downtown.
That's actually October for the Bisbee Black and Blue along with Sammy's birthday bash on the 13th.

Nah we go there every year in late July when the heat is still a bitch. We stay in the owner's condo at Club Cascadas de Baja. I'm not sure there is a better deal. Rooms come out to roughly $400 a night and they provide people to cook, clean, and serve us drinks. We get to provide the food and drinks at cost and get several private pools and a swim up bar to our own.

edit: and a private beach that is even private from the resorts private beach.
Damn, that sounds like a great place. Then Cabo Wabo at night! But the more important question is whether it's top optional or not? :cool:

Damn, that sounds like a great place. Then Cabo Wabo at night! But the more important question is whether it's top optional or not? :cool:
I honestly hate cabo wabo and find it extremely overrated. I also found it to attract a much older crowd (I’m 33).

Their tequila is only a slightly better Jose Cuervo. There are a lot of tequilas in that price range that I rank ahead if it.

As far as topless, it’s Mexico, Tourists can do whatever they want for the most part. But no many, if any, are topless. I’ve probably only seen 5 people topless in the 8 years we’ve been going.

I didn’t vote for Trump (I didn’t vote for Hillary either) But I almost feel bad for the guy. Every decision that he makes is wrong according to one side of the Congressional aisle.

I don’t agree with long term shutdowns but you make decisions based on the info that you had available to you at the time. The info at the time was extremely mixed.

but what does it say about our country that the stimulus package of the 1930s was giving US citizens money by putting them to work but the stimulus package of 2019/2020 was giving US citizens free handouts which encouraged them not to work?

I'm sure his post was sarcastic since most on here blame everything shutdown related on the Dems, intentionally ignoring the fact that Trump was the one who shut it down. He only faked opposition to it when he saw that some in his base were charging the Capitol steps in Michigan with guns and Confederate flags. Then of course it was all the Dems fault for following his guidelines. I'm not a Trump supporter at all but will give him credit for the stimulus and PPP program as it saved a lot of jobs. But as opposed to your comment on the 1930 stimulus, the first stimulus indeed was a program to give people money and encourage them not to work so the virus couldn't circulate. Totally different circumstance.

hits everyone different. I personally know three people who have gotten it, all with symptoms that were "moderate" but have made life pretty miserable and they don't know the long term impact. One in particular, a friend who is 40...borderline professional cross-fit athlete. Healthy, no underlying conditions, super fit. She got diagnosed in April and from the outset, her symptoms have been like a brutal hangover, present every day for most of the day. April to now...that's a long time, and she's got no idea if or when the symptoms will lessen or go away. It's worn her down, it's taken away her energy, has greatly impacted her career, and has even had a major impact on her ability to be an active, present parent to her two little kids. She's been tested for everything, and the only positive hit has been Covid.

I am confident that there will be liberals, conservatives, and moderates (like me) that will stand in His judgment when that time comes. As for me, I'm trying to keep it simple by loving God and people (all of them). Now that we have that out of the way, what is the backstory on the "Cocks are Number 1" thing?
Agree with all of what you just wrote.
Lol.. you are completely correct.

I was a CuTigers member since it’s inception, even when Ard owned it, prior to Roy. I was “Kelboski” on that site. Much later, I enjoyed TI, too... so I created a name which would allow me to go over to FGF and browse without getting banned. Eventually, I said a bit too much.
hahahaha...I remember you as kelboski.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a political shite show, but I think every president has had to deal with that from the other side. I also think he was just unprepared for this. To give you an example, the white house pandemic team that trump fired in 2018 had a CDC epidemiologist on the ground in Wuhan china. If that person was still there, we would have had a lot more information about this thing before it reached us.

Thanks for sharing your story by the way. I appreciate hearing how this has affected people. My own 96 year old grandmother has Covid, although she showed almost no symptoms. The assisted living home she is in had a few cases, and they noticed her blood oxygen dropped significantly so they sent her to the hospital where she tested positive. They gave her remsdivir for a week and sent her home (back to Assisted Living where they could take care of her). They apparently really needed the hospital covid bed for someone else. She lives in Columbia.

Reactions: DFan and dpic73
But as opposed to your comment on the 1930 stimulus, the first stimulus indeed was a program to give people money and encourage them not to work so the virus couldn't circulate. Totally different circumstance.

except that many employers today have remote work options in place but prospective employees decline the work citing as the reason a loss of their current government check if they go back to work.

Is it weird that you can predict which posters will have severe uncommon experiences with Covid?

I've made several posts since March as to my personal thoughts regarding the nation's overreaction to this pandemic and the costs of shutting down the economy versus real health risks. My wife and I have all along been poster kids for the "coronavirus doesn't scare us" position. We wear masks only as required to enter certain stores and never anywhere else. We think people driving down the road with masks on look like complete morons. We've attended numerous parties since March, dined and danced wherever possible, and even vacationed last month in Mexico.

But the Covid rascal finally caught up with us in Mexico. Immediately upon returning home we began to experience weird symptoms and went to see our physician. Bingo -- we were Covid positive! I want to say up front that I'm not promoting our lifestyle as something others should emulate. The disease is real and we actually have a 71-year old family member who died of complications due to it back in June. But folks, the guy had been sick with lung disease for over 20 years. My mother is 85 and lives with heart issues. I've not been closer to her than 6'-8' in 5 months. That's only appropriate considering her higher odds of risking death if infected. So I understand and care about at risk people getting sick.

Our experience over the last 30 days included nausea, headaches and serious fatigue. But there were no bouts of fever or coughing for either of us. We're in decent shape (she's a flat out hottie but nope I can't post a pic) and in our 60's. I don't wish Covid on anyone but it's not terrible either. Frankly the degree of discomfort over 2 weeks time was worth it to now be able to say we've experienced it and likely built up antibodies for life.

I realize this disease has killed thousands. And yes occasionally healthy people are hospitalized. But that's very rare regardless of what the media tells you. We went though it and can honestly say it's effects were easier to handle than the common flu. Why would college kids and even younger children stay at home scared shitless about the perceived risk? Their mental health is suffering folks, not to mention their checkbooks. Sure you can search and find a special situation where sadly someone died. But damn, that happens even with lightning strikes once and awhile. Imo the world doesn't need to go full retard and shut down like it's leprosy or the black plague.

One more interesting point. We know over a dozen people who have tested positive. NOT ONE OF THEM has been called by anyone associated with DHEC, CDC, etc. There has been ZERO contact tracing or questionnaires filled out by any of us. What does that tell you? While the government hyped up the official position that follow/up was critical back in the early days, now it's not even mentioned! Were this Ebola level contagious, don't you think we'd have been monitored more closely?

If you're uncomfortable with the risks, then by all means stay home! You'll look ridiculous with a mask on at a restaurant! I don't begrudge you for feeling differently -- but why call us irresponsible because we disagree? Last I heard this is still a free America. I won't be wearing a mask at a Clemson football game unless it's simply for the minute it takes to get through gate security. My conscience is at ease that I'll not infect others -- and I'm happily blessed to have caught the virus and never changed much about my life along the way.

I've made several posts since March as to my personal thoughts regarding the nation's overreaction to this pandemic and the costs of shutting down the economy versus real health risks. My wife and I have all along been poster kids for the "coronavirus doesn't scare us" position. We wear masks only as required to enter certain stores and never anywhere else. We think people driving down the road with masks on look like complete morons. We've attended numerous parties since March, dined and danced wherever possible, and even vacationed last month in Mexico.

But the Covid rascal finally caught up with us in Mexico. Immediately upon returning home we began to experience weird symptoms and went to see our physician. Bingo -- we were Covid positive! I want to say up front that I'm not promoting our lifestyle as something others should emulate. The disease is real and we actually have a 71-year old family member who died of complications due to it back in June. But folks, the guy had been sick with lung disease for over 20 years. My mother is 85 and lives with heart issues. I've not been closer to her than 6'-8' in 5 months. That's only appropriate considering her higher odds of risking death if infected. So I understand and care about at risk people getting sick.

Our experience over the last 30 days included nausea, headaches and serious fatigue. But there were no bouts of fever or coughing for either of us. We're in decent shape (she's a flat out hottie but nope I can't post a pic) and in our 60's. I don't wish Covid on anyone but it's not terrible either. Frankly the degree of discomfort over 2 weeks time was worth it to now be able to say we've experienced it and likely built up antibodies for life.

I realize this disease has killed thousands. And yes occasionally healthy people are hospitalized. But that's very rare regardless of what the media tells you. We went though it and can honestly say it's effects were easier to handle than the common flu. Why would college kids and even younger children stay at home scared shitless about the perceived risk? Their mental health is suffering folks, not to mention their checkbooks. Sure you can search and find a special situation where sadly someone died. But damn, that happens even with lightning strikes once and awhile. Imo the world doesn't need to go full retard and shut down like it's leprosy or the black plague.

One more interesting point. We know over a dozen people who have tested positive. NOT ONE OF THEM has been called by anyone associated with DHEC, CDC, etc. There has been ZERO contact tracing or questionnaires filled out by any of us. What does that tell you? While the government hyped up the official position that follow/up was critical back in the early days, now it's not even mentioned! Were this Ebola level contagious, don't you think we'd have been monitored more closely?

If you're uncomfortable with the risks, then by all means stay home! You'll look ridiculous with a mask on at a restaurant! I don't begrudge you for feeling differently -- but why call us irresponsible because we disagree? Last I heard this is still a free America. I won't be wearing a mask at a Clemson football game unless it's simply for the minute it takes to get through gate security. My conscience is at ease that I'll not infect others -- and I'm happily blessed to have caught the virus and never changed much about my life along the way.
Glad to hear you & your wife are feeling better

Reactions: TopGun01
except that many employers today have remote work options in place but prospective employees decline the work citing as the reason a loss of their current government check if they go back to work.

I agree it's a dis-incentive but mostly for those that make less than the subsidy provides. Service employees and retail workers aren't likely to be working from home.

I am happy you and your family are well and were not too badly affected. I agree with you. Trump made a mistake asking the country and economy to shut down. We will likely never understand the true economic cost of it.
The Mayors & Governors shut down their respective economies, not Trump! Nice try though

Reactions: SGTiger

Were you complicit in voting for and electing Andrew Cuomo?

Reactions: SGTiger
The Mayors & Governors shut down their respective economies, not Trump! Nice try though

hmmmmm. Here are some facts (which I know you hate) that dispute your post.

1. Fact: Trump pushed the 30 days to slow the spread encouraging mayors and governors to shut down.
2. Fact: Trump publicly chastised Kemp for opening up before the 30 days was over.
3. Fact: Just yesterday Trump tweeted that he did in fact shut down the economy and saved millions of people from dying of Covid.

Reactions: dpic73
hmmmmm. Here are some facts (which I know you hate) that dispute your post.

1. Fact: Trump pushed the 30 days to slow the spread encouraging mayors and governors to shut down.
2. Fact: Trump publicly chastised Kemp for opening up before the 30 days was over.
3. Fact: Just yesterday Trump tweeted that he did in fact shut down the economy and saved millions of people from dying of Covid.

Yea, Early on, he listened to Jesuit/Freemason Fauci. All you need to know about him is he’s on Committee of 300 Bill Gates’s Foundation Board. So yea, he listed to the wrong people early on. Then he put it in the hands of the mayors & governors to handle The Virus in their respective states. I’m talking about stupid ass mayors & governors in NY, Michigan, CA, Oregon, Washington & Minnesota, Who have kept their economies shut down for long periods of time. Eighty-Three percent of the restaurant owners in NY can’t afford to pay their rent.

Trump shouldn’t even be dealing with COVID-19. The research for the Virus was funded by Committee of 300 Member, Bill Gates. A Biotech Company in Britain holds the patent on it. It was released in China due to the worldwide dependence on China’s manufacturing & distribution. Nor should Trump be dealing with BLM & Antifa, both are funded by Committee of 300 Member, George Soros.

Yea, Early on, he listened to Jesuit/Freemason Fauci. All you need to know about him is he’s on Committee of 300 Bill Gates’s Foundation Board. So yea, he listed to the wrong people early on. Then he put it in the hands of the mayors & governors to handle The Virus in their respective states. I’m talking about stupid ass mayors & governors in NY, Michigan, CA, Oregon, Washington & Minnesota, Who have kept their economies shut down for long periods of time. Eighty-Three percent of the restaurant owners in NY can’t afford to pay their rent.

Trump shouldn’t even be dealing with COVID-19. The research for the Virus was funded by Committee of 300 Member, Bill Gates. A Biotech Company in Britain holds the patent on it. It was released in China due to the worldwide dependence on China’s manufacturing & distribution. Nor should Trump be dealing with BLM & Antifa, both are funded by Committee of 300 Member, George Soros.

You failed to address trumps tweet from just yesterday when he took credit for “turning off the economy and saving millions of lives”. Reminder, he tweeted that YESTERDAY.

Reactions: dpic73
You failed to address trumps tweet from just yesterday when he took credit for “turning off the economy and saving millions of lives”. Reminder, he tweeted that YESTERDAY.
& You failed to address the party you support is responsible for the Virus to begin with. Plus BLM & Antifa, which are tearing our country apart. Go ahead & stay on the path you’re on, it won’t end well for you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT