ADVERTISEMENT

OT Crime in Columbia in the Vista Blue Marlin

PalmettoTiger1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2009
Had a great fun day with daughter wife and grands but had a concerning moment after dinner

As we exited the Blue Marlin about 9:30 a bum or vagrant was on the sidewalk asking for money dressed in dark clothes and a hoody approached me wife and grands

I was concerned about our safety instantly for some reason

When I said NO and get away from me he crossed the street to where my daughter was getting a charger out of her car to bring it to us

I realized that he was approaching her so I walked into the street about 20 feet from him and hollared very loudly more than once Get away from her

For some reason he walked toward me standing in the middle of the street and I started looking for a knife or gun

A car drives up in the other lane and he starts talking to the driver

Then he gets in the driver side of the car on the back seat and they then drive off

My gut was we were a hair away from being robbed or worse

Now reflecting the guys we’re team working to pull a robbery

Are any of you seeing this type of crimes or threats

The Defund the Police has the whole thing crazy

• Wow
Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
Blue Marlin serves alcohol I would assume which makes it illegal for a concealed weapon to be on you while in the restaurant- correct? You’d still be on the street exiting the restaurant with just your d___ in your hand in this situation. Glad it was resolved with no bad issues OP. My advice- stay away from Columbia after dark!

Reactions: CoffeeIsForClosers
Blue Marlin serves alcohol I would assume which makes it illegal for a concealed weapon to be on you while in the restaurant- correct? You’d still be on the street exiting the restaurant with just your d___ in your hand in this situation. Glad it was resolved with no bad issues OP. My advice- stay away from Columbia after dark!
Agree. Never found myself in this position most probably because I avoid the possibility of these situations happening as best I can.

But pulling a gun always deescalates the situation…better solution?

Last edited:

My wife and made that exact comment

seriously this thread is hopefully a personal PSA that might save some other person from a really bad experience

Danger lurks everywhere and be aware for your own and your families safety

Partially true. It’s only illegal if you are consuming alcohol and it’s a misdemeanor charge if caught with one.

With me the protection of my family carries more weight than that stupid law.

If you carry concealed, nobody will know you have it unless you have to use it and at that point the least of my worries would be a charge for carrying a concealed weapon illegally.

You can't walk in uptown Charlotte anymore without being harassed every 30 seconds. The only reason I go into uptown anymore is for plays or concerts

Everyone in my family has a CWP. I recommend everyone get one. The police solve crimes after they happen not before.
Exactly. That we even have to talk about needing to have a permit to protect yourself is troublesome though. You shouldn't have to recommend a CWP, because it shouldn't be necessary to have a CWP. Blue Marlin is obviously not providing security and clearly the police aren't there.

Exactly. That we even have to talk about needing to have a permit to protect yourself is troublesome though. You shouldn't have to recommend a CWP, because it shouldn't be necessary to have a CWP. Blue Marlin is obviously not providing security and clearly the police aren't there.
They have a bill in the Georgia legislature right now that will eliminate the CWP all together and I wish SC would do the same.

I lived my whole life until 5 years ago in SC and never had a CWP until I moved across the Savannah river.

The only reason I got one then is because you don't have to take a class down here. You just pay $75 for the back ground check and they will mail the permit to you and its recognized by the state of SC.

I was raised on guns so there was no way I was going to pay to go to a class in SC for someone to "teach" me what my Dad taught me as a kid growing up.

Had a great fun day with daughter wife and grands but had a concerning moment after dinner

As we exited the Blue Marlin about 9:30 a bum or vagrant was on the sidewalk asking for money dressed in dark clothes and a hoody approached me wife and grands

When I said NO and get away from me he crossed the street to where my daughter was getting a charger out of her car to bring it to us

I realized that he was approaching her so I walked into the street about 20 feet from him and hollared very loudly more than once Get away from her

For some reason he walked toward me standing in the middle of the street and I started looking for a knife or gun

Then he gets in the driver side of the car on the back seat and they then drive off

did someone defund the police in Columbia?

They have a bill in the Georgia legislature right now that will eliminate the CWP all together and I wish SC would do the same.

I lived my whole life until 5 years ago in SC and never had a CWP until I moved across the Savannah river.

The only reason I got one then is because you don't have to take a class down here. You just pay $75 for the back ground check and they will mail the permit to you and its recognized by the state of SC.

I was raised on guns so there was no way I was going to pay to go to a class in SC for someone to "teach" me what my Dad taught me as a kid growing up.
I grew up around guns as well. I have several in my house. I do think learning how to properly use a gun AND learning about the devastation that happens after you pull the trigger need to be taught.

You can carry with a CWP in an establishment that serves alcohol in South Carolina. You simply are not allowed to consume.

Don’t leave home without mine most of the time. I often ask myself in the morning - when I’m trying to decide if I want to carry and be a bit less comfortable - whether I’ll need it or not.

Most of the time, of course, I come to the conclusion that there is no way to know when you will need it. Just like seatbelts. You don’t know when you will be in a wreck, so you simply always wear one.

You can't walk in uptown Charlotte anymore without being harassed every 30 seconds. The only reason I go into uptown anymore is for plays or concerts
Unfortunately this is becoming true for a lot of cities. My wife and I have been harassed by creepy people asking for money or just being weird in Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston as well as big cities like CLT.

If cities really cared about keeping their cities as a place people enjoy to go and feel safe, they would have a zero tolerance policy on this type of stuff. Instead they invoke some woke ideology to protect them instead of detaining and rehabilitating them. Or they simply don't have the staff to police it stronger which is a funding thing.

Some people shrug it off as normal, but I don't like going out for a night on the town spending gobs of money on food and entertainment while supporting the city to have to encounter that type of stuff. It can ruin the night and makes us not want to go back. We will valet the car a lot of times to not deal with that stuff. Plus, tipping the valet is sometimes no more expensive than paying for parking.

Cities need to take care of their patrons and tax paying citizens that live their FIRST. Without them, the city is dead no matter how many social programs are put into place.

Last edited:
First...it's TOTALLY up to the establishment to allow Concealed Carry Permit. But more importantly.. walk out the establishment under the legal limit and some prick accosts you and/or your family ..blow his shit away. That, SIR, is the facts. If you would like 5o know the laws...take the class and have the FBI investigate your background. That's what all CCP holders go through. It's certainly not a cavalier approach, nor is it a responsibility taken lightly. You see, the criminal gives a shit less about "rules" and would shoot you down for less than $10. That's our Society now. That and stupid Government and stupider citizenry.

Unfortunately this is becoming true for a lot of cities. My wife and I have been harassed by creepy people asking for money or just being weird in Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston as well as big cities like CLT.

If cities really cared about keeping their cities as a place people enjoy to go and feel safe, they would have a zero tolerance policy on this type of stuff. Instead they invoke some woke ideology to protect them instead of detaining and rehabilitating them. Or they simply don't have the staff to police it stronger which is a funding thing.

Some people shrug it off as normal, but I don't like going out for a night on the town spending gobs of money on food and entertainment while supporting the city to have to encounter that type of stuff. It can ruin the night and makes us not want to go back. We will valet the car a lot of times to not deal with that stuff. Plus, tipping the valet is sometimes no more expensive than paying for parking.

Cities need to take care of their patrons and tax paying citizens that live their FIRST. Without them, the city is dead no matter how many social programs are put into place.

Pearl-Clutching.jpg

First...it's TOTALLY up to the establishment to allow Concealed Carry Permit. But more importantly.. walk out the establishment under the legal limit and some prick accosts you and/or your family ..blow his shit away. That, SIR, is the facts. If you would like 5o know the laws...take the class and have the FBI investigate your background. That's what all CCP holders go through. It's certainly not a cavalier approach, nor is it a responsibility taken lightly. You see, the criminal gives a shit less about "rules" and would shoot you down for less than $10. That's our Society now. That and stupid Government and stupider citizenry.

Just blows me away... the same guy here who talks about standing on a dock watching the sunrise and feeling Jesus' love also thinks you should shoot someone in the face if they ask you for money. That is exactly what Jesus taught us.

How about just do what I do every time. "Sorry man I don't carry cash." They just walk away.

I am a gun owner and supporter of the second amendment….but I will never understand the logic that if we had more people carrying guns there would be less death. Just don’t see how you get subtraction by addition here.

Same here. I am a gun owner and support the 2nd. I have guns for hunting and one for home defense. My issue with people concealed carry is how do we know who is the good guy and the bad guy. Keep in mind the guys that killed Ahmad Arbury were going to get away with it until the national news picked up the story.

If a "good guy" with a gun sees someone doing something they don't agree with, then they go up and stick their gun in that person's face. The person fights back, the good guy shoots them in the face and claims self defense. That is going to keep happening more and more.

Reactions: tigrbybirth

The concerns over crime in a metro area like Columbia are real. We need to be vigilant and I'm happy that you are. Yes, I think you probably saved your family members from an ordeal at best and serious injury or death at worst.

I think both sides get caught up in rhetoric about "defund the police". There are people in communities that generally fear the police and sometimes for good reasons. I've had friends who were cops and former cops and they all agree that a cop will make up their mind in the first 20-30 seconds whether they're encountering a good guy or a bad guy and that decision colors everything that happens for the rest of that encounter. A) Bad guys don't get treated that well and B) there is no middle ground. Suppose you are an African American man or woman who has been stopped, questioned, and searched more than you're willing to tolerate. Do you think you might be hostile to the next cop you encounter. He might have zero or very little prejudice, but if he encounters someone who's hostile, which category do you think he's going to put them? Do you think that makes the African American likely to be more hostile the next time they're stopped? Since cops are humans with human feelings, do you think they are more or less likely to protect an African American community than a Caucasian community?

When some people say defund the police, they mean let's not buy more body armor, assault rifles, and armored vehicles. Instead, let's put more money into addressing underlying societal problems. Maybe funding pre-k programs or community centers. Maybe funding job training programs. Maybe subsidizing child care for working parents. Maybe creating more drug treatment options.

I don't expect that this post will change people's opinions. I just want to make people think a little rather than divide into my side vs your side. No matter where you are on the political spectrum, the other side probably has some good ideas.

As long as you don’t consume alcohol and assuming the restaurant hasn’t posted a sign banning concealed weapons you can carry

Just blows me away... the same guy here who talks about standing on a dock watching the sunrise and feeling Jesus' love also thinks you should shoot someone in the face if they ask you for money. That is exactly what Jesus taught us.

How about just do what I do every time. "Sorry man I don't carry cash." They just walk away.
Damn...in the face for asking for money? You have some serious deep rooted anger bubba....not to mention your reading retention and interpretation suck ass.

Reactions: AugTig
In addition to getting training required to get a CWP, the NRA has excellent courses/publications on situational awareness and “refuse to be a victim “. I would recommend those as well.

The concerns over crime in a metro area like Columbia are real. We need to be vigilant and I'm happy that you are. Yes, I think you probably saved your family members from an ordeal at best and serious injury or death at worst.

I think both sides get caught up in rhetoric about "defund the police". There are people in communities that generally fear the police and sometimes for good reasons. I've had friends who were cops and former cops and they all agree that a cop will make up their mind in the first 20-30 seconds whether they're encountering a good guy or a bad guy and that decision colors everything that happens for the rest of that encounter. A) Bad guys don't get treated that well and B) there is no middle ground. Suppose you are an African American man or woman who has been stopped, questioned, and searched more than you're willing to tolerate. Do you think you might be hostile to the next cop you encounter. He might have zero or very little prejudice, but if he encounters someone who's hostile, which category do you think he's going to put them? Do you think that makes the African American likely to be more hostile the next time they're stopped? Since cops are humans with human feelings, do you think they are more or less likely to protect an African American community than a Caucasian community?

When some people say defund the police, they mean let's not buy more body armor, assault rifles, and armored vehicles. Instead, let's put more money into addressing underlying societal problems. Maybe funding pre-k programs or community centers. Maybe funding job training programs. Maybe subsidizing child care for working parents. Maybe creating more drug treatment options.

I don't expect that this post will change people's opinions. I just want to make people think a little rather than divide into my side vs your side. No matter where you are on the political spectrum, the other side probably has some good ideas.
We've been funding programs, community centers, provided money directly to citizens, etc. for over 60 years. It hasn't worked to help a soul if you asked those community's citizens.

The cops have been given military equipment for YEARS under the guise it's (a) excess or outdated (b) necessary. First of all, when I see a cop dressed like military, it tells me that the law preventing the police from conducting themselves as military against the citizens of this country with zero outcry from the military and our very own Government ELECTED members, then (c) there's probably collusion on MANY, MANY levels.

So we have a conundrum.

My answer is law reform. If cops fvck up and are violent...lock them up in general population. Serves their black hearts and dirty souls right.

On the other hand, if you have conclusive DNA proof of a criminal in a violent crime, he gets 1 appeal...at the family's expense. Then put him/her/them to death quickly and humanely.

This country better get some common sense back, put the lid on the Government, vote Term limits and act like the money isn't endless. Between Obama, Trump and Biden...I'm not sure why the public outcry isn't louder. Actually I do, but while I really don't care what the Libs on here think about me, I care enough about We the People not to give up on all of us regardless of race, religion and creed and start pointing fingers and singling out any group.

The only not guilty people of enabling this is the children and our future citizens. So why don't we all take some blame, look at each other across tables with respect and roll up our sleeves and fix America before these elitist fvcking idiots destroy the greatest country in the world.

I
did someone defund the police in Columbia?
In New York your NY Tiger moniker they kill innocent female victims by stabbing them 40 times and then are let out to kill again

I may start using a walker like the Hurri Cane like they advertise on TV as I have a bum right knee

Decided to get the walking stick from Dicks Sporting Goods

They have a great line called Louisville Slugger

I don’t want to carry my 9 MM auto in public

I think a good bat will do

and the issue is liberal left wing nuts are infecting Columbia emboldening the criminal riff raff

Defunding the police is a minor problem

it’s the character of the people.who are windy ass wimps wanting entitlement and thinking they can threaten people and steal because they feel they will get away with it

I am working with law enforcement on some new initiatives to clean up this Yankee mess

Southern soccer moms carrying baseball bats

as they say in the theater

break a leg baby

We've been funding programs, community centers, provided money directly to citizens, etc. for over 60 years. It hasn't worked to help a soul if you asked those community's citizens.

The cops have been given military equipment for YEARS under the guise it's (a) excess or outdated (b) necessary. First of all, when I see a cop dressed like military, it tells me that the law preventing the police from conducting themselves as military against the citizens of this country with zero outcry from the military and our very own Government ELECTED members, then (c) there's probably collusion on MANY, MANY levels.

So we have a conundrum.

My answer is law reform. If cops fvck up and are violent...lock them up in general population. Serves their black hearts and dirty souls right.

On the other hand, if you have conclusive DNA proof of a criminal in a violent crime, he gets 1 appeal...at the family's expense. Then put him/her/them to death quickly and humanely.

This country better get some common sense back, put the lid on the Government, vote Term limits and act like the money isn't endless. Between Obama, Trump and Biden...I'm not sure why the public outcry isn't louder. Actually I do, but while I really don't care what the Libs on here think about me, I care enough about We the People not to give up on all of us regardless of race, religion and creed and start pointing fingers and singling out any group.

The only not guilty people of enabling this is the children and our future citizens. So why don't we all take some blame, look at each other across tables with respect and roll up our sleeves and fix America before these elitist fvcking idiots destroy the greatest country in the world.

Amen

I

In New York your NY Tiger moniker they kill innocent female victims by stabbing them 40 times and then are let out to kill again

I may start using a walker like the Hurri Cane like they advertise on TV as I have a bum right knee

Decided to get the walking stick from Dicks Sporting Goods

They have a great line called Louisville Slugger

I don’t want to carry my 9 MM auto in public

I think a good bat will do

and the issue is liberal left wing nuts are infecting Columbia emboldening the criminal riff raff

Defunding the police is a minor problem

it’s the character of the people.who are windy ass wimps wanting entitlement and thinking they can threaten people and steal because they feel they will get away with it

I am working with law enforcement on some new initiatives to clean up this Yankee mess

Southern soccer moms carrying baseball bats

as they say in the theater

break a leg baby

Step one. Get back on your meds.
Step two. Take a break from posting for a while.

I love the people who scream racism because I primarily have WHITE DNA in my blood.

I also have some American Indian and African Black as my family emigrated to America in 1607 from Scotland into Virginia and the over ensuing years moved into the frontier as Indian frontier buffers and then mixed in with the freed American blacks as gee golly there were Freedmen of color.

Anyway if I were racist I would be encouraging the black criminal element in society to arm and even provide them knives and handguns as the majority of crimes committed by a black is against other blacks who want to be peaceful.
You want to hurt the 12 % of the US population that is black then keep doing what the Democrats and liberals are doing to them.

A huge number is getting woke on the side turning to conservative values. Regardless of skin color the Americans want safety and security in their communities and the reference to the Louisville Slugger is not a joke.

I am working on an improved public safety initiative where we provide concerned citizens with tools such as bats if they are scared of a gun or tear gas pens or other means of calling help such as 911 jewelry.

People are preaching hate in this world to control people and gain power to use the vulnerable.

I am going to help All People become more self sufficient and empower the entire population to help make America Safe Again

Starting with one baseball bat swing at a time

• Love
Reactions: tigerGUY

So we have a conundrum.

Tiger Guy

I am presently involved with a plan to improve public safety over a regional area in which I live

lots of issues to resolve but I am staying with problems on how 911 is responded to and also jurisdiction concerns as they are causing problems with policing

Also looking at gang issues and how to help address this

This gets really long and intense

I am not all wind and no substance

I am doing something about it

Last edited:
Is that the best you got

Pulez continue to post

The world can recognize ignorance when it is exposed
Damn you're on a roll my brother. Be glad to help any cause you find worthy.

I can't tell whether some of these people hate Conservatism, community and personal safety and/or family values so much due to pure imbecilic hatred, ignorance or stupidity. They can't explain it themselves.

I can't tell whether some of these people hate Conservatism, community and personal safety and/or family values so much due to pure imbecilic hatred, ignorance or stupidity. They can't explain it themselves.

Just to share about three years ago I gave a speech in which I commented to the community that to make a better world we first as Mother Theresa said start with yourself Then grow it to family then friends then community then county then state then US until that acorn planted saves the world because as humans we deserve the best for our families and us

been working on that for a few years now

making progress in spite of people who preach and teach and exhibit hate

love your enemy but teach them to love

give them an opportunity to be better while protecting the safety and security of yourself family and community

name calling and preaching hate does not make the world a better place

i am not referring to honest disagreement and some male bull testosterone getting overblown

I want those people who love to hate and divide to keep talking as at some point love and unity will win

mat may be casualties to get there but I would rather die trying than give up to losers as in that end we all lose

Wait, are you - you of all people - actually accusing someone else of hating family values? I have two kids that I have no plans on running out on. The day I do, then YOU can lecture me about "family values".

Your level of hypocrisy offends me.

• Haha
Reactions: moradatiger70
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT