ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC Medical Marijuana Bill

I’m 33. Born and raised very conservative and I’ve been a nerd about politics since I was 13. Personally, I don’t smoke at all (not even cigarettes). I also think legalizing marijuana, especially when you can’t regulate how much someone smokes, is just opening Pandora’s box so to speak. If you think accidents happen due to alcohol, just wait for that number to spike if smoking marijuana is legal. Sure, I see the argument for how much $ it can bring in. Everyone says that marijuana is a “gateway drug.” Not sure is like that box to be opened.

Alcohol opened that box along time ago.

Simply put, we’re a very conservative state (and legislators) and legalizing marijuana is a very liberal stance.

Honest opinion and to the point. Thank you sir for your input (no sarcasm or joking). I was generally curious.

I hope that on the next election day, the Republican card will have the same non-binding ballot question that was on the state Democratic ticket a few elections ago. I was pissed that it was not on the GOP ticket. I know that the percentage will not be quite as high as the Dems ballot but I'd be about willing to bet the farm that over 50% of SC Republicans favor legalizing medical cannabis. With that said I am of mixed opinions and scale locations on numerous topics, issues etc that agree and disagree with each of the two party's but as you can see I am a registered Republican in SC.

Medical marijuana should be legalized across our nation as should marijuana for recreational use. It's 2018 and time to start using common sense in this country.

Unfortunately common sense can’t be used in this country. People would rather ride on their high horse of “morality” instead of allowing a natural substance help people.

I’m 33. Born and raised very conservative and I’ve been a nerd about politics since I was 13. Personally, I don’t smoke at all (not even cigarettes). I also think legalizing marijuana, especially when you can’t regulate how much someone smokes, is just opening Pandora’s box so to speak. If you think accidents happen due to alcohol, just wait for that number to spike if smoking marijuana is legal. Sure, I see the argument for how much $ it can bring in. Everyone says that marijuana is a “gateway drug.” Not sure is like that box to be opened.

That number is not spiking you have no idea what you’re talking about.

So you’re ok with those accidents and deaths rising? I also wouldn’t classify alcohol as a “drug.”

@dpotter24 I have to respectfully disagree with your last statement. Alcohol is most certainly a drug that millions of Americans use as a coping mechanism and it has also killed millions of people. Alcoholism runs in my family so I have seen first hand what it can do to loved ones, friends, colleagues etc.

So you’re ok with those accidents and deaths rising? I also wouldn’t classify alcohol as a “drug.”

If you wouldn't classify alcohol as a drug you need to get yourself more informed. It's by every definition a drug and the fact that you think it isn't suggests you're pretty ignorant about the entire topic.

Laws should be based on facts and science and the voters should be informed enough to vote intelligently.

Accidents covers a WIDE range of issues. And if you don’t think that marijuana is a gateway drug, you’re clueless. Study after study prove that as a fact 100x over.

I'd be very interested to see some studies that prove that cannabis is a gateway drug. Got a link?

Reactions: cyclotiger
If you wouldn't classify alcohol as a drug you need to get yourself more informed. It's by every definition a drug and the fact that you think it isn't suggests you're pretty ignorant about the entire topic.

Laws should be based on facts and science and the voters should be informed enough to vote intelligently.
Calls himself conservative but I'd call it closeted.

I'd be curious to see how many people that are closed minded to the subject have ever had chronic pain or have had a loved one with chronic pain. My guess is very low. I'm in my younger 30's, have had a number of surgeries and now have to take opioids to keep the pain levels manageable. You'd never know from talking with me that I have to take those every day to get through the day comfortably or to help sleep because the pain level gets too high. How is marijuana anymore of a gateway drug than opioids which are proven to be much more addictive? People need to have a little more empathy for people with medical conditions than assuming everyone is taking it to get high.

So much stronger than it was in my day.

Reactions: Dackel
The problem is it’s so readily available, and less harmful than alcohol, that if that happens it’s still safer than all the drunks. Even if some drunks smoke instead we are still a lot better off.

It’s not a reason to legalize, other than for tax reasons, but anyone who wants it is already blazing their mind out.

Reactions: PKPTigers12
I think the gateway drug myth had more to do with someone trying something illegal for the first time. Underage drinking was different because it was legal at a certain age. Marijuana on the other hand has always been illegal. Maybe you were more prone to try other drugs once you crossed that line, but the reality is it was a man-made threshold to begin with. Had nothing to do with marijuana itself. I'm for legalizing it (at least for medicinal purposes).

Reactions: yoseftiger
Show me those stats. I haven’t seen them and you would have to assume it would be the complete opposite. I’m also curious what the employment levels are for those states during the same period.
I figured this was your response. I have no idea. You’re probably right. As I mentioned I’d ban opiates or make them very difficult to get and reform welfare to where you can only get food or things sold at a drug store and no actual money.

I’d also argue there’s been an increase nationwide due to cell phones but we’ll see

Last edited:
A policeman looking at you and saying. You look high. Your going downtown with me.
And with a good lawyer you’ll beat that garbage every time. Not that anyone wants to go through that. I’m at all types of concerts all the time where the police all but watch people do it and say nothing. I know that’s different per se, but times are a changing whether people like it or not.

The Compassionate Act. Given the demographics in this state who thinks this has a chance of passing?

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-la...o-legalize-medical-marijuana/25893638?src=app
As a first, got to visit a shop selling herbal products in CA recently around the Monterey area (what a trip it was!). Was located beside a home furnishing store and nail salon.

The notebook “literature” in the waiting room says it cures basically every illness known to man. For me, it only seems to cure the illness of being “not stoned.”

It’s only a matter of time before it’s legal everywhere, the ball is rolling too fast to stop at this point. SC should jump in as the first Southern State! Anyone remember Jim Hodges and the lottery commercials? SC should start a “education lottery” before GA this time!

YOU. Sir. Are grossly misinformed. Grossly. We are laughing at your notion that weed causes more accidents than booze. Nope, go back and do your research.

This is what’s called “begging the question.” I’m personally ambivalent about marijuana, but acting like legalizing it is the only thing that’s consistent with common sense is wrong.

Dude, you are not ambivalent about marijuana....don't even try to lie to us. You are dead set against it in every thread about it here and on the MB. Hell, you started a thread about it on the MB.

Show me those stats. I haven’t seen them and you would have to assume it would be the complete opposite. I’m also curious what the employment levels are for those states during the same period.

Dude you are ITT talking about traffic deaths going up and you don't even have any evidence to back it up? Between that and saying that alcohol isn't a "drug," I think you should sit the next few plays out.

Dude, you are not ambivalent about marijuana....don't even try to lie to us. You are dead set against it in every thread about it here and on the MB. Hell, you started a thread about it on the MB.

I started a thread about it because all you ever see are people like the ones in this thread claiming that legalization is just “common sense” and there are no downsides. We literally had somebody claim marijuana cured cancer, and nobody really challenged him on it. That kind of group think should make everyone skeptical. I also happen to know a fair bit about the subject, so I think somebody who’s informed ought to at least give some reasons why legalization might not be a slam dunk.

Also, I think the argument that it should be legal despite all the downsides is pretty compelling. I just don’t think we should close our eyes to the downsides in order to make a case for legalization. I think you’d also expect somebody who’s ambivalent to be a little more favorable to the status quo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT