ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC Medical Marijuana Bill

It’s funny how many people in this thread respond this way to somebody who’s actually correct. This is why I wonder if a lot of people just think marijuana is totally harmless.
Not harmless. Significantly less harmless than numerous other substances the government already allows.

No need to even debate the medical pot issue. It polls around 80+ percent. The vocal minority isn’t relevant. Luckily the politicians that side with the <20% will be voted out over time.

If marijuana has effective medicinal qualities, wouldn’t big pharma just create medications using its active ingredients? This argument that big pharma is preventing legalization makes no sense to me, especially when there’s a pretty large marijuana lobby and industry. Also, opioids are illegal except in medicinal form, and those medicinal forms are tested and FDA approved. Marijuana needs to go through that same testing and approval process in order to find treatments that do what we want them to... but that would require the involvement of big pharma.
The argument is that it has inherent benefits, real or psychosomatic, that would encourage folks to look away from products produced by big pharma and those benefits don't require big pharma's hand to produce. That would be big pharmas incentive to fight it...They do in fact effort to use compounds in Cannabis to produce medicines and those would likely increase as well, should more widespread research take place. It's entirely possible though, that all of their effort would reach too small of an audience to make it worthwhile if actual cannabis was legal, because that would plenty more the majority that sought it as medicine...And those folks can just get a prescription and go to the dispensary and buy what was grown...Not bother with some elaborate chemical process in a lab to extract those qualities and repackage them, from what was grown. I think. As far as FDA approval of Opioids...well no shit. They also kill an inordinately large number of people who misuse them and also move on to illicit opioids once they become addicted...Not nearly as likely with cannabis. Medical or otherwise.

It’s funny how many people in this thread respond this way to somebody who’s actually correct. This is why I wonder if a lot of people just think marijuana is totally harmless.

First of all, he's not correct about anything really. If you are referring to his bullshit assumption about vehicle accidents, a simple google search will show you that there have been studies that show both sides. Some claim that accidents are up due to marijuana and some say they are not. It's going to take a more long term study to prove it either way.

But basically you think he's right because he's against legalized marijuana and so are you. The only difference between y'all is that he is being honest about his beliefs and you're not.

Republican Christians have no problem taking opioids or being prescribed them. These same people think pot is a dangerous drug and legalization would result is mass crime and deaths. All studies show there is a major opioid crisis and to no ones surprise the government isn’t doing anything to help. Instead more powerful opioids have been approved.

There shouldn’t be a pot discussion at all. The government has allowed much more dangerous and addictive substances. If pot should be illegal so should numerous other substances.

I also notice you ignore the truth that pot would pass in a general vote. Last time I checked the government is “for the people by the people.” So Republicans going against the will of the people makes no sense.

The government is good at three things: war, taxes, and killing citizens.

IMO this post is mixed with truth and hyperbole, except for the bolded part. I know plenty of republican Christians who are for legalization.

Reactions: Casa_del_Tigre
The Compassionate Act. Given the demographics in this state who thinks this has a chance of passing?

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-la...o-legalize-medical-marijuana/25893638?src=app
Opposed. Mainly due to the fact that the states that have legalized it for medical and recreational use are having major issues, with some trying to find out how to get it illegal again. Colorado is the main state having issues, though some lawmakers are saying that nothing is wrong because of the increase in revenue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...medical-marijuana-laws-study-shows/100938578/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rnor-marijuana-hickenlooper-column/533731002/

Opposed. Mainly due to the fact that the states that have legalized it for medical and recreational use are having major issues, with some trying to find out how to get it illegal again. Colorado is the main state having issues, though some lawmakers are saying that nothing is wrong because of the increase in revenue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...medical-marijuana-laws-study-shows/100938578/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rnor-marijuana-hickenlooper-column/533731002/

It's no surprise that USA Today, a liberal newspaper, would publish studies that have no legitimacy to try and fight marijuana legalization.

You have no stats to justify this. There are stats that say opioids kill more people than car wrecks. This didn’t stop the FDA from approving an even stronger opioid this year.
"A 2017 analysis by the Denver Post showed Colorado had experienced a 145% increase in the number of fatal crashes involving marijuana-impaired drivers between 2013 and 2016. While the analysis stresses that the increase cannot definitively be attributed to the legalization of marijuana, it reports that the number of marijuana-impaired drivers involved in fatal crashes has more than doubled since 2013, the year before the state legalized recreational marijuana use." USA Today article from April 2018
Link https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rnor-marijuana-hickenlooper-column/533731002/

It's no surprise that USA Today, a liberal newspaper, would publish studies that have no legitimacy to try and fight marijuana legalization.
Perhaps, but is it the Liberals or Conservatives blocking most of the legislation?

"A 2017 analysis by the Denver Post showed Colorado had experienced a 145% increase in the number of fatal crashes involving marijuana-impaired drivers between 2013 and 2016. While the analysis stresses that the increase cannot definitively be attributed to the legalization of marijuana, it reports that the number of marijuana-impaired drivers involved in fatal crashes has more than doubled since 2013, the year before the state legalized recreational marijuana use." USA Today article from April 2018
Link https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rnor-marijuana-hickenlooper-column/533731002/
I’m not doubting it. I just rather see stats which I thank you for.

Maybe national legalization can help get car death counts back over opioid death counts lol.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
ITT I learned that @dpotter24 isnt smart enough to pay attention to. He thinks he’s conservative but in actuality he is all for big government. He’s a liberal.
ITT @acwill07 says that you must have the viewpoint 100% of the time with your party or you aren't in that party, but rather in the party you disagree with 99% of the time. I also learned that many posters think that legalizing marijuana is a conservative stance (which is dead wrong). Conservatives ARE actually leaving it up to the states and their people. Democrats WOULD do it on a national level. There in lies the difference in a nut shell (for those of you who need a history lesson)...conservatives leave it up to the states to decide (which is the case here) and democrats want everything controlled by big government in DC

IMO this post is mixed with truth and hyperbole, except for the bolded part. I know plenty of republican Christians who are for legalization.
Yes lol. My brother was a youth pastor before going back for his masters. He is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is pro pot. He’s logic is god made pot and he doesn’t have nearly as bad of swings since using pot.

It’s more of a troll towards the Christian leanings I was raised on. My fam is a very right leaning and religious.

ITT @acwill07 says that you must have the viewpoint 100% of the time with your party or you aren't in that party, but rather in the party you disagree with 99% of the time. I also learned that many posters think that legalizing marijuana is a conservative stance (which is dead wrong). Conservatives ARE actually leaving it up to the states and their people. Democrats WOULD do it on a national level. There in lies the difference in a nut shell (for those of you who need a history lesson)...conservatives leave it up to the states to decide (which is the case here) and democrats want everything controlled by big government in DC

FWIW....I firmly disagree with you on this topic but I do appreciate you at least voicing the opposing viewpoint on legalization. I don't agree with your reasoning but most people who oppose it just never comment and then vote against it in anonymity.

Reactions: Casa_del_Tigre
Medical marijuana is poled above 70% in SC. The country poles around 80%.

If every state added a vote for legal medical 50 states would have legal medical pot. I’d also argue 50 out of 50 would vote in favor or recreational.

We assume you are a liberal because the politicians you side with are trying to block the will of the majority. That would be the government deciding what’s best for its citizens, not the people deciding.

Medical marijuana is poled above 70% in SC. The country poles around 80%.

If every state added a vote for legal medical 50 states would have legal medical pot. I’d also argue 50 out of 50 would vote in favor or recreational.

We assume you are a liberal because the politicians you side with are trying to block the will of the majority. That would be the government deciding what’s best for its citizens, not the people deciding.
Put it up to a vote in the next election cycle. I don't know what the polling is so I can't dispute your statistics but I'd venture a guess that a chunk of those folks polled don't show up on election day. You absolutely would not see it passed on referendum in SC at a 70/30 split. If you believe that, you've been smoking something else other than marijuana.

Put it up to a vote in the next election cycle. I don't know what the polling is so I can't dispute your statistics but I'd venture a guess that a chunk of those folks polled don't show up on election day. You absolutely would not see it passed on referendum in SC at a 70/30 split. If you believe that, you've been smoking something else other than marijuana.

Why wouldn’t they show up?

Ballot initiatives like marijuana legalization are HUGE pulls to the polls.

Maybe not. I don’t have an issue if the majority of voters said no to it. Oklahoma’s medical law is very liberal and practically a recreational bill. It still passed in conservative Oklahoma.

I hate vox lol. First site I found from google. Second link is Oklahoma doing republican things and trying to suppress the will of the majority.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...a-medical-marijuana-legalization-question-788

https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_St...Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(June_2018)

There is a difference between 'legalizing marijuana' and permitting it to be used solely for medicinal purposes. The former won't be enacted anytime soon in SC, I suspect. The latter is not really considered 'liberal' anymore as most states permit it. I think SC's legislature will pass it in the not too distant future (with strict controls in place to restrict its availability and usage).

First of all, he's not correct about anything really. If you are referring to his bullshit assumption about vehicle accidents, a simple google search will show you that there have been studies that show both sides. Some claim that accidents are up due to marijuana and some say they are not. It's going to take a more long term study to prove it either way.

But basically you think he's right because he's against legalized marijuana and so are you. The only difference between y'all is that he is being honest about his beliefs and you're not.

A simple google search shows that he's completely right about accidents increasing when marijuana is legalized. I don't really know why you won't acknowledge that, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that you think acknowledging anything bad about marijuana means you have to be against legalization.

The fact is that there are downsides to legalization, but those downsides might not be a good enough reason to not legalize it. Unfortunately, too many people have bought into the idea that there's no reason at all why anybody would want marijuana to be illegal. If we're going to legalize it, we shouldn't do so with our eyes closed.

The argument is that it has inherent benefits, real or psychosomatic, that would encourage folks to look away from products produced by big pharma and those benefits don't require big pharma's hand to produce. That would be big pharmas incentive to fight it...They do in fact effort to use compounds in Cannabis to produce medicines and those would likely increase as well, should more widespread research take place. It's entirely possible though, that all of their effort would reach too small of an audience to make it worthwhile if actual cannabis was legal, because that would plenty more the majority that sought it as medicine...And those folks can just get a prescription and go to the dispensary and buy what was grown...Not bother with some elaborate chemical process in a lab to extract those qualities and repackage them, from what was grown. I think. As far as FDA approval of Opioids...well no shit. They also kill an inordinately large number of people who misuse them and also move on to illicit opioids once they become addicted...Not nearly as likely with cannabis. Medical or otherwise.

If so, then what you're talking about is self-medicating, which isn't particularly safe if people's problems are serious. Just smoking stuff that hasn't been tested isn't nearly as effective, either.

To me, the whole "big pharma doesn't want this" thing is mostly just a strategy to dismiss the arguments against legalization. People need to choose for or against one set of downsides without buying into propaganda or conspiracy theories from either side.

Also, my experience is that most of the people opposed to or skeptical of marijuana legalization are physicians and public health advocates, not representatives of big pharma. It would make more sense to me for big pharma to support marijuana legalization and regulation.

Republican Christians have no problem taking opioids or being prescribed them. These same people think pot is a dangerous drug and legalization would result is mass crime and deaths. All studies show there is a major opioid crisis and to no ones surprise the government isn’t doing anything to help. Instead more powerful opioids have been approved.

There shouldn’t be a pot discussion at all. The government has allowed much more dangerous and addictive substances. If pot should be illegal so should numerous other substances.

I also notice you ignore the truth that pot would pass in a general vote. Last time I checked the government is “for the people by the people.” So Republicans going against the will of the people makes no sense.

The government is good at three things: war, taxes, and killing citizens.

"Republican Christians have no problem taking opioids or being prescribed them. These same people think pot is a dangerous drug and legalization would result is mass crime and deaths. All studies show there is a major opioid crisis and to no ones surprise the government isn’t doing anything to help. Instead more powerful opioids have been approved."

I'm not really sure what all of this means, but of course people are fine taking medications prescribed by their doctors. When people are prescribed opioids and use them as prescribed, they rarely become addicted or move on to abuse of illegal opioids (whether diverted prescription pills or street drugs like heroin). To say the government isn't doing anything about opioids is also awfully ignorant. There have been lawsuits by AGs, pill limits imposed, dosage limits imposed, bills introduced to make Oxycontin a Schedule I drug, physician education mandates, huge increases in funding to address the opioid crisis, huge increases in funding for prescription monitoring programs, prescription monitoring program mandates, DEA limits on manufacturing, and more. A large omnibus of opioid bills was passed by Congress and signed into law last year by the president. Some of these policies will hurt patients who need pain medication, but such is the actual attitude of most legislators and administrators in government.

So things are nearly the opposite of what you suggest when it comes to opioids. And yet overdoses have continued to rise. Maybe that's because the problem was more about people abusing drugs than it was about doctors prescribing opioids.

Not talking about self medicating, talking about caregiver recommends, legal, mmj. I do understand that physicians and medical professionals are usually the ones pumping the brakes. They are also often the ones saying that’s because they wanna see more research. That really, at least suggests amenability to removal of schedule one, to allow broader research. Are you at least accepting of that??

Not talking about self medicating, talking about caregiver recommends, legal, mmj. I do understand that physicians and medical professionals are usually the ones pumping the brakes. They are also often the ones saying that’s because they wanna see more research. That really, at least suggests amenability to removal of schedule one, to allow broader research. Are you at least accepting of that??

"Caregivers" can't prescribe/recommend marijuana because it's a Schedule 1 drug. They can just certify that a patient has a condition that qualifies them to get a medical marijuana card (at least in most states where medical marijuana is legal). I also don't think many medical professionals worth their salt are ever going to recommend smoking anything, and I don't know of a medical marijuana law that prevents people from getting marijuana that can be smokes. I definitely agree that more research needs to be done on marijuana, so it probably does need to be moved to Schedule II (at least).

If so, then what you're talking about is self-medicating, which isn't particularly safe if people's problems are serious. Just smoking stuff that hasn't been tested isn't nearly as effective, either.

To me, the whole "big pharma doesn't want this" thing is mostly just a strategy to dismiss the arguments against legalization. People need to choose for or against one set of downsides without buying into propaganda or conspiracy theories from either side.

Also, my experience is that most of the people opposed to or skeptical of marijuana legalization are physicians and public health advocates, not representatives of big pharma. It would make more sense to me for big pharma to support marijuana legalization and regulation.
Big pharma supports the “legalization”of their own pills with the thc molecule. The only thing big pharma cares about is making money.

"Caregivers" can't prescribe/recommend marijuana because it's a Schedule 1 drug. They can just certify that a patient has a condition that qualifies them to get a medical marijuana card (at least in most states where medical marijuana is legal). I also don't think many medical professionals worth their salt are ever going to recommend smoking anything, and I don't know of a medical marijuana law that prevents people from getting marijuana that can be smokes. I definitely agree that more research needs to be done on marijuana, so it probably does need to be moved to Schedule II (at least).
I'm my son's "Caregiver". I know the term "Caregiver" is different to the one you're referring to. In my case I am licensed in the state of Mass. I do have to sign whatever that states the "medicine" is for him and I promise not to take any. It's sort of a real joke.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
"Republican Christians have no problem taking opioids or being prescribed them. These same people think pot is a dangerous drug and legalization would result is mass crime and deaths. All studies show there is a major opioid crisis and to no ones surprise the government isn’t doing anything to help. Instead more powerful opioids have been approved."

I'm not really sure what all of this means, but of course people are fine taking medications prescribed by their doctors. When people are prescribed opioids and use them as prescribed, they rarely become addicted or move on to abuse of illegal opioids (whether diverted prescription pills or street drugs like heroin). To say the government isn't doing anything about opioids is also awfully ignorant. There have been lawsuits by AGs, pill limits imposed, dosage limits imposed, bills introduced to make Oxycontin a Schedule I drug, physician education mandates, huge increases in funding to address the opioid crisis, huge increases in funding for prescription monitoring programs, prescription monitoring program mandates, DEA limits on manufacturing, and more. A large omnibus of opioid bills was passed by Congress and signed into law last year by the president. Some of these policies will hurt patients who need pain medication, but such is the actual attitude of most legislators and administrators in government.

So things are nearly the opposite of what you suggest when it comes to opioids. And yet overdoses have continued to rise. Maybe that's because the problem was more about people abusing drugs than it was about doctors prescribing opioids.
Have you ever gone day without arguing until you're blue in the face?

See. That is a concession! On both parts! You and I should head on up to Washington! Does not always have to be an out right victor. Agree on terms, listen to reasonable arguments and settle on something that is not 100% what either advocated for, but certainly gives each some measure of satisfaction that we can progress and check back later! Thank you!

Reactions: MartinSausage
Have you ever gone day without arguing until you're blue in the face?

It’s funny that you think responding to people’s comments to me is arguing til I’m “blue in the face.” Do you get “blue in the face” commenting on my arguments, or are we both just saying what we think?

It’s funny that you think responding to people’s comments to me is arguing til I’m “blue in the face.” Do you get “blue in the face” commenting on my arguments, or are we both just saying what we think?
one of us is a contrarian that takes the counterpoint pretty much all the time

Reactions: TheValley91
Accidents covers a WIDE range of issues. And if you don’t think that marijuana is a gateway drug, you’re clueless. Study after study prove that as a fact 100x over.
I believe most of the studies show that marijuana gateway effect is related to the affiliation of marijuana users with drug using peers in settings that provide more opportunities to use other illicit drugs at an earlier age. The gateway is an overlapping effect, marijuana itself doesn't not cause it. Legalizing marijuana would often remove the user from these situations.

I would have to see if this was correlated with a reduction in alcohol (or other drug) related fatal crashes before it would tell us much. I also would expect a spike in the years shortly after legalization, so I am going to need to exam the numbers over a decade or so.

Lots of factors to control for.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
one of us is a contrarian that takes the counterpoint pretty much all the time

I only "take the counterpoint" when I think somebody is either just plainly wrong or isn't considering what they're saying very thoroughly. There's a lot of that in this thread.

I only "take the counterpoint" when I think somebody is either just plainly wrong or isn't considering what they're saying very thoroughly. There's a lot of that in this thread.
there are a lot of wrong people in the world and you aim to cure that? you're gonna get tired

ADVERTISEMENT