ADVERTISEMENT

OT: shooting in VA beach

...and of course soon in Colorado being a Republican or an Evangelical will be deemed a mental health issue.

It is actually a pretty purple state. People in the western states are pretty reasonable.

Personally I am not for gun control. If you want that, then amend the constitution--but I am all for Gun Safety.

The response you are looking for is thank you. That’s what a normal person might say to someone who says they are praying for them. Everyone here knows you are Jewish, but do not follow faith, that you are an Atheist hard left guy. Your prerogative, no one will change you mind on a message board about religion, politics, etc... but how about trying to be less of a prick to people when they actually give you an olive branch.

1. Lol at your interpretation of freesc's post as him extending an olive branch.
2. Telling me I need to find Jesus is the exact opposite of extending an olive branch to me.
3. He's praying for me because he thinks the left has put hate in my heart. If I told you I was praying for you because the right makes you hate Hispanic people, would you say "thank you" to me?

Reactions: PontificatingUnifex
Have you ever watched what happens when a human egg is fertilized?

Sure.

Have you watched what happens when a fetus self-aborts?

If you believe that this is when life starts then you should be the most vocal supporter of only having test tube babies--that is your only moral and ethical option.

If you believe it is at heartbeat. Great. But then heart cells in a petri dish can have a heartbeat. Got to deal with that.

I think brainwaves/brain function is a good place to find common ground. But that is just me...

I'm just always interested when people KNOW, like KNOW for certain when life begins.

1. Lol at your interpretation of freesc's post as him extending an olive branch.
2. Telling me I need to find Jesus is the exact opposite of extending an olive branch to me.
3. He's praying for me because he thinks the left has put hate in my heart. If I told you I was praying for you because the right makes you hate Hispanic people, would you say "thank you" to me?
Wow. You have many problems...

Reactions: Ron Munson
12,000 gun homicides the US. Out of a population of 330 million, hardly an epidemic.

45,000 suicides, 70,000 drug overdoses, 480,000 cigarette deaths, 300,000 due to obesity....those are epidemics.

But of course, there isnt a good narrative behind those deaths. Can't ban drugs that are already banned, or cigarettes or Mcdonalds

Not saying suicides, drug overdoses, smoking and obesity aren’t epidemic or problematic, but they are a person’s own doing. Different than an innocent person being slaughtered.

Sure.

Have you watched what happens when a fetus self-aborts?

If you believe that this is when life starts then you should be the most vocal supporter of only having test tube babies--that is your only moral and ethical option.

If you believe it is at heartbeat. Great. But then heart cells in a petri dish can have a heartbeat. Got to deal with that.

I think brainwaves/brain function is a good place to find common ground. But that is just me...

I'm just always interested when people KNOW, like KNOW for certain when life begins.
So when is it ok to abort and when is it not? Do you honestly think that the primordial soup created all life out of a Big Bang alone? Sure life could arguably evolve from something like that, but the human soul? Your personality is nothing more than chance? You’re welcome to think that way. Regardless, where do you draw the line? What’s acceptable in your mind for the timeline to terminate a human life?

So when is it ok to abort and when is it not? Do you honestly think that the primordial soup created all life out of a Big Bang alone? Sure life could arguably evolve from something like that, but the human soul? Your personality is nothing more than chance? You’re welcome to think that way. Regardless, where do you draw the line? What’s acceptable in your mind for the timeline to terminate a human life?

But that is my point. I don't know. Different faiths argue about it.

When does a body have a soul--what exact moment for all babies?

I'm not saying their isn't a grand design or a higher power or a god--far from it, but well intentioned, reasonable people of faith disagree about when life begins--so my question for people who KNOW--is when is the exact moment and how do you know?

But that is my point. I don't know. Different faiths argue about it.

When does a body have a soul--what exact moment for all babies?

I'm not saying their isn't a grand design or a higher power or a god--far from it, but well intentioned, reasonable people of faith disagree about when life begins--so my question for people who KNOW--is when is the exact moment and how do you know?
Well I personally don't believe Jesus would have performed an abortion, so that’s where I stand.

I don't think this necessarily helps much with murders via guns, but I think it's crazy that you don't have to pass a written test and a course to obtain a gun license.

Just thinking in general terms, using common sense... Seems like a good idea to make sure someone who purchases an item intended to kill other things can at least go thru the hassle of taking a course and passing an exam. Not everyone has an educated father to teach them gun saftey. And if your gun isn't registered to your license, there should be serious consequences similar to cars.

Not suggesting that's any sort of answer to gun violence, but I think we are simply doing the public a disservice.

I don't think this necessarily helps much with murders via guns, but I think it's crazy that you don't have to pass a written test and a course to obtain a gun license.

Just thinking in general terms, using common sense... Seems like a good idea to make sure someone who purchases an item intended to kill other things can at least go thru the hassle of taking a course and passing an exam. Not everyone has an educated father to teach them gun saftey. And if your gun isn't registered to your license, there should be serious consequences similar to cars.

Not suggesting that's any sort of answer to gun violence, but I think we are simply doing the public a disservice.

I agree. I had to take hunters ed when I was 13 or whenever. Still have to validate that to get hunting licenses (though I have a lifetime license now). Why wouldn’t we mandate something similar for gun owners? Class, written exam, background check, sign-off from your primary care physician. That covers a lot of issues.

I agree. I had to take hunters ed when I was 13 or whenever. Still have to validate that to get hunting licenses (though I have a lifetime license now). Why wouldn’t we mandate something similar for gun owners? Class, written exam, background check, sign-off from your primary care physician. That covers a lot of issues.
Would you also like to have your Primary Care Physician sign off on your right to free speech or to practice your religion? What about your right to protest or vote? Right to assemble? What if your doc decided that you no longer have the right to prevent the government from storing troops in your house? Is that ok?

Would you also like to have your Primary Care Physician sign off on your right to free speech or to practice your religion? What about your right to protest or vote? Right to assemble? What if your doc decided that you no longer have the right to prevent the government from storing troops in your house? Is that ok?
Absolutely. 100% spot on.

All drugs? Any limitations in your doctrine?

All of them. Prohibition leads to greater potency which is why we have crack. If you legalized cocaine, nobody would sell crack. Because drugs are disgusting and terrible, I would not let them be sold in a place of business. That would eliminate the need to regulate them under commerce laws. That would be my only regulation which is no regulation. Currently A kilogram of cocaine sells for $2500 in Colombia SA and $135,0000 on the street at $135/gram.

The black market price is what brings in an endless supply of smuggling.

Different topic, but passing a basic literacy exam to earn a voter ID seems like a great idea.

Reactions: Earle36
Well I personally don't believe Jesus would have performed an abortion, so that’s where I stand.

That is fine. But other people of faith who believe in Jesus say that they would when the life of the mother is at risk or for a 13 year old girl who was raped by their uncle or brother or father. Rape and incest.

And if the fetus isn't alive and doesn't have a soul can you say definitively that Jesus wouldn't allow ANY abortion. That is quite the absolute surety. Maybe you have had some spiritual confirmation on this that has made it a fact for you--that is great, but it hasn't happened for other people who honestly believe in Jesus.

Just saying that that is a tenuous position from which to make declarative judgements and uncompromising policy that grants absolute power to the federal govt.

Since the guy used and automatic pistol, so I guess that will now be the subject of a gun ban by the libs. Next thing you know someone kills some people with some rocks, then the liberals will go on a crusade to ban rocks. There goes my meteorite rock collection!

You have no idea what that actually is, that’s my point. Carry on, smoke your bowl and ride your bike. Bitch about global warming and complain about Trump, it’s your MO.
I know exactly what it is. You really need to get a life and stop worrying about mine.

The majority of mass shooters are mentally ill with paranoid schizophrenia being the most prevalent indicator. I’m okay with infringing on the gun rights of someone with that diagnosis in the interest of protecting the public. That’s where I was going with the PCP sign off.

Thoughts on the other parts? Do you think requiring a safety class, passing an exam and a background check (something more thorough than we have today - to include previous mental health episodes) are bad ideas?

The majority of mass shooters are mentally ill with paranoid schizophrenia being the most prevalent indicator. I’m okay with infringing on the gun rights of someone with that diagnosis in the interest of protecting the public. That’s where I was going with the PCP sign off.

Thoughts on the other parts? Do you think requiring a safety class, passing an exam and a background check (something more thorough than we have today - to include previous mental health episodes) are bad ideas?
I actually completely agree with background checks, people should be vetted when going to an FFL dealer, unfortunately several of the recent mass shootings perpetuators were wrongfully allowed to purchase. A failure of our law enforcement unfortunately. That’s where new gun laws are a bit of a loss on me, we have gun control laws, and Parkland, Charleston, Orlando, Dallas, etc.. all should have never happened if our government had done their job.

As for safety classes, I personally don’t go to indoor gun ranges as he general public is untrained and I don’t want to be around some asshat that has no idea what they are doing. Although it’s a right, not an opinion to bare arms.

Last edited:
That is fine. But other people of faith who believe in Jesus say that they would when the life of the mother is at risk or for a 13 year old girl who was raped by their uncle or brother or father. Rape and incest.

And if the fetus isn't alive and doesn't have a soul can you say definitively that Jesus wouldn't allow ANY abortion. That is quite the absolute surety. Maybe you have had some spiritual confirmation on this that has made it a fact for you--that is great, but it hasn't happened for other people who honestly believe in Jesus.

Just saying that that is a tenuous position from which to make declarative judgements and uncompromising policy that grants absolute power to the federal govt.
It’s my personal belief, I do not expect it to be law or anyone else’s for that matter. It’s my opinion that from a governmental perspective it’s a State’s right issue, much like gun control and pretty much everything else. The Federal government overreach needs to stop and the States, which means the residents of those states, need to take some power back.

Different topic, but passing a basic literacy exam to earn a voter ID seems like a great idea.
Is it really that different of a topic? I mean if you’re discussing using a persons personal physician to sign off on whether or not they can go purchase a firearm, why not just let the doc or the government control it all?

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but a major problem with gun reform is that we just dont have the data to come to any conclusion, one way or another.

12,000 people dying from guns is just what is
reported, as the majority of police precincts around the country dont have to report their gun related deaths....and those that do dont have to be accountable for the truthfulness of their reporting.

Finally, my biggest problem is that data and research into this topic will never happen in the US in the current political climate because it is obstructed. The Dickey amendment prevents any research into gun violence:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Amendment

All lobbied for by the NRA, a terrible institution. I dont know the answer for how guns should be dealt with in this country, but it sure isn't best decided by a corrupt organization like the NRA.

Trump actually helped sign some leeway in CDC funds being used for gun research, which is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'll start...

Bring back a strong sense of God the concept of "sin" and that Hell is real and may very well be the consequence of doing evil.

Gonna solve the problem? No. But it's a piece of the puzzle..in controlling impulses to act and do evil like shooting random people.

Maybe couple this with not being so accepting and equivocating concerning the killing of the unborn

I have more.. All probably equally as (un)popular.
Geez, Australia and Switzerland must be among the highest proportion of God-fearing people on earth, then. Their rates of mass killings by gun is among the world’s lowest. Only thing is, I’m not aware of a higher degree of belief in those nations that Hell exists than ours. On the other hand, there are strict rules associated with gun ownership in those lands that don’t exist here in the US.

We are a freedom-loving people but are we really free if one has a realistic fear of being killed in the ordinary run of our lives? I think not.

Stephen Paddock was not mentally ill. He knew exactly what he was doing. He went out with a bang killing Trump supporters and adding more fire to the gun control debate. The Parkland shooter knew what he was doing also. He made a video bragging about how he was going to be the next school shooter. There are two terrorist camps in the USA who train school shooters. They know what they are doing too. It's time to recognize we have political terrorist and start looking for the radicals.

Stephen Paddock was not mentally ill. He knew exactly what he was doing. He went out with a bang killing Trump supporters and adding more fire to the gun control debate. The Parkland shooter knew what he was doing also. He made a video bragging about how he was going to be the next school shooter. There are two terrorist camps in the USA who train school shooters. They know what they are doing too. It's time to recognize we have political terrorist and start looking for the radicals.
I would argue that terrorists are mentally ill, as are 100 percent of school shooters.

this is why we passed an extreme risk protection order here in Colorado. IF its a mental health issue, upon a ruling by a judge, we can take the guns of dangerous people.
Didn’t Colorado just have a shooting? It was in another gun free zone. Handguns. 7 round mags

I have no issue with “SAW” also meaning squad or whatever auto weapon, because I can’t. One of the meanings, perhaps the most popular, is in fact that. My issue is the semi auto argument. Did the shooter in this incident use your version of a SAW? If not why would you introduce that into this discussion?? Drum up hate? Push an agenda? Heck why not post a pic of a bazooka or Stinger or howitzer? If the weapon you showed is truly a fully auto gun capable of firing 725 rds/min that’s in effect what you’ve done. Bully for you.

As for posters itt saying they’d ban them no I don’t see that, but I do see some questions around full/semi autos that at a minimum hint at it, you might wanna go back and read the entire thread. And in the larger context of what’s happening today, many (not all) parts of the media are pushing an anti gun agenda playing fast and loose with context and words like “function,” “semiautomatic,” and “automatic.”

The bottom line is this: you wanna question my right to own a legal weapon then you have to explain why I can’t have it. If it costs 10k and 6 mos to own such a weapon then explain why I can’t have it. Otherwise, the 2nd Amendment says I CAN have it. And that’s enough for me.
I believe you would also have to get atf approval and sled approval in SC to own an auto weapon. Not easy to do at all. But, don’t let that interfere with ice’s agenda.

We are a freedom-loving people but are we really free if one has a realistic fear of being killed in the ordinary run of our lives? I think not.

12,000 homicides by guns in the US per year, out of a population of 320 million hardly creates a fear in our lives.

That is not even getting into a large portion of those are gang or drug related.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
Geez, Australia and Switzerland must be among the highest proportion of God-fearing people on earth, then. Their rates of mass killings by gun is among the world’s lowest. Only thing is, I’m not aware of a higher degree of belief in those nations that Hell exists than ours. On the other hand, there are strict rules associated with gun ownership in those lands that don’t exist here in the US.

BOO! Just joking. I'm sorry for scaring you.

The fear you feel when going about your life is caused by you getting in a car and driving not from being shot in a mass killing.

Oh, and last I checked this is not Switzerland...

Most abortions are not a girl being raped by her uncle. Most are done as a form of birth control, and a large portion of the left is fine with that fact. To me, that’s evil.

Religion is simply one check on certain violent impulses. laws and fear of punishment are others. A personal sense of shame when having done something wrong is another. So is a sense of pride in one's family name and knowing that certain acts would bring a stigma on others in the family are others.

The Answer to the question, most wouldn't like.

Hint: It has to do with Culture Change of Kindness, Love, Justice and Responsibility.
Oh, and throw in stable 2 parent families....and you know, like dinner around the table with the entire family there and TALKING to one another....not texting.
Sure as hell it's not another law people can break or Government assistance.

So many versions of what could be, but only one answer.
The above are simply symptoms that the change would be taking place.
Sorta going back to the future.

Keep praying. We ain't gettin outa here alive.

And, its' only gonna get worse.
This x 1000. Only this suggestion will be met with ridicule in todays "diverse" society.

Since we know undocumented immigrants commit crimes at the same rate as the average citizen (ignoring the misdemeanor of crossing the border without authorization), we can attribute a proportional number of the murders committed in the US to undocumented folks. That gets us to about 600 murders by undocumented immigrants in the US in 2018.

The assertion that none of those people would have been murdered had the undocumented immigrant not been in the US is, of course, unprovable.

lol at your suggestion that anyone wants to "open the border".

There are as many people in the democratic party who want to "open the border" as there are in the Republican party who believe white people are a superior race.
If 1 murder is committed by an "undocumented immigrant", that's 1 murder that didn't have to happen. If that was your wife, daughter, etc., I'm guessing that statistic you give will mean jack sh*t to you.

Republicans and Democrats alike are responsible for the state we are in on our border all because they are all slaves to politics. We can fix this problem, a large chunk of it anyway, by closing these loopholes, changing the asylum laws and eliminating the incentive for these people to come here. That's on congress. Every day that passes is another bucket load of potential crime victims.

Maybe some other factors are that in the past in this country there was no question that boys and girls are different...with males of our (and most all) species more prone to violent urges...which we didnt wish away or try and helicopter parent our way out of. But rather we recognized it and provided boundaries and education appropriately...and fights happened...not ever incressting frustration and hopelessness that led to shootings. Oh and after the fight, even if lost, and while being punished, self esteem was improved.

Weapons? Shameful and cowardly. Two more concepts that may no longer have as much meaning now given the sustained assault on masculinity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT