ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get the COVID vaccine?

No thanks! For the ones that do get it hopefully you'll have no side effects years down the road.
It's an mRNA vaccine. The blueprint for the spike protein that causes disease gets put in your body, it lasts for about 24 hours and has your cells make some sample spike proteins. Your immune system recognizes that these spike proteins are foreign and attacks them and builds immunity. The spike proteins are gone, the mRNA samples have been gone. You are left with antibodies and no COVID

I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

please let me know the point. Because I feel I may be uninformed at the least.
I am type 1 diabetic and found out in Jan that I didn’t have the antibodies after having Covid in August . Everyone ‘s situation is different but I received my second shot two weeks and haven’t had any issues .

Should be someone’s personal choice but it seems that we will get some sort of social credit system where only the inoculated folks will be allowed to rejoin society. I don’t care if someone gets vax or not, just don’t force it onto society.
Why not? I was speaking with a dental hygentist and she was upset that many young dental techs were not getting the Vax (have high-priority status). Their reasoning is if they get exposed they two weeks off work with pay. I have no first hand knowledge, but I don’t feel real good about opening wide in the dental chair. I would like to think medical workers, Uber drivers, airline stewards, restaurant wait staffs, and other people that come in contact with others get the Vax.

I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

It does keep you from spreading it.
It does keep you from getting it.
Yes you should get it

Right now we can say that getting the vaccine makes it dramatically less likely that you will get the virus and if you get the virus dramatically less likely you will get il. I don’t know the data on how much less likely you are to spread it to others but that is also important. If I were to inadvertently give this to some elderly person or my wife who has preexisting medical conditions that would horrible. It would also be very selfish on my part and largely preventable with a vaccine.

From another point of view we are all Americans and we are in this together. We stick up for one another. The best way to get our country back on track is for everyone to get vaccinated. From a purely selfish standpoint it will be nice to pack lot 1 and tailgate again. A vaccine is the best way to accomplish this. This is about taking care of our neighbors and unfortunately it has been turned into a political football. Even if you are young and healthy and truly have minimal risk from this virus, the kid with Downs Syndrome at the tailgate or the woman with diabetes sitting one table over at a restaurant could easily die if you passed it on while you are asymptomatic.

Yes masks are going to be needed for a time longer until this is controlled. We may even need annual vaccines like we do for the flu. If we want to see our country like it was in 2019 then everyone getting vaccinated provides the clearest path.

Rember the golden rule. Look out for your neighbor. Look out for your friends and family even if you think the vaccine is unlikely to really benefit you that much. If you want to beat on your chest and scream you don’t want your personal freedom infringed upon then there is nothing I can say.

I got the shot not so much to protect me (though it certainly did), but to be a good citizen, a good neighbor, and a good family man.

I hope to see you and all my Clemson family tailgating in the fall with this virus largely subdued. A vaccine is best path to get there along with wearing masks.

Get the vaccine if you are lucky enough to have access to it even if it just protects the diabled kid in the wheelchair you happen by in the store!
source.gif

Right now we can say that getting the vaccine makes it dramatically less likely that you will get the virus and if you get the virus dramatically less likely you will get il. I don’t know the data on how much less likely you are to spread it to others but that is also important. If I were to inadvertently give this to some elderly person or my wife who has preexisting medical conditions that would horrible. It would also be very selfish on my part and largely preventable with a vaccine.

From another point of view we are all Americans and we are in this together. We stick up for one another. The best way to get our country back on track is for everyone to get vaccinated. From a purely selfish standpoint it will be nice to pack lot 1 and tailgate again. A vaccine is the best way to accomplish this. This is about taking care of our neighbors and unfortunately it has been turned into a political football. Even if you are young and healthy and truly have minimal risk from this virus, the kid with Downs Syndrome at the tailgate or the woman with diabetes sitting one table over at a restaurant could easily die if you passed it on while you are asymptomatic.

Yes masks are going to be needed for a time longer until this is controlled. We may even need annual vaccines like we do for the flu. If we want to see our country like it was in 2019 then everyone getting vaccinated provides the clearest path.

Rember the golden rule. Look out for your neighbor. Look out for your friends and family even if you think the vaccine is unlikely to really benefit you that much. If you want to beat on your chest and scream you don’t want your personal freedom infringed upon then there is nothing I can say.

I got the shot not so much to protect me (though it certainly did), but to be a good citizen, a good neighbor, and a good family man.

I hope to see you and all my Clemson family tailgating in the fall with this virus largely subdued. A vaccine is best path to get there along with wearing masks.

Get the vaccine if you are lucky enough to have access to it even if it just protects the diabled kid in the wheelchair you happen by in the store!

The Golden Rule. I'm sure that when the Anti-Christ comes, you will wear the mark of the beast on your forehead like a badge of honor because the snakes and vipers will come in that day and make the same argument.

Reactions: scartiger
Do you have proof of this or are you just repeating what you have heard?

By the data, of the 175,000 participants in various vaccine trials, there were ZERO hospitalizations from covid in the vaccinated group.

By the data so from around 3,000,000 fully vaccinated (2 weeks post second dose) people around the world, there has not been a single death due to COVID.

In Israel, 3 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer, there was around an ~80% effectiveness in 70+ year olds..

Data continues to be collected and reported, but so far the vaccine has been as safe and effective as advertised. Everyone should absolutely have the choice to take the vaccine or not. The morally right decision for the overwhelming majority of people is to get the vaccine.

Last edited:
By the data, of the 175,000 participants in various vaccine trials, there were ZERO hospitalizations from covid in the vaccinated group.

By the data so from around 30,000,000 vaccinated people around the world, there has not been a single hospitalization due to COVID.

In Israel, 3 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer, there was around an ~80% effectiveness.

Data continues to be collected and reported, but so far the vaccine has been as safe and effective as advertised. Everyone should absolutely have the choice to take the vaccine or not. The morally right decision for the overwhelming majority of people is to get the vaccine.

lies.

Gentleman and Ladies,
The one thing we need to be able to do is share opinions without name calling or involving politics. My personal feeling is that every politician who has politicized the virus should resign immediately. Their actions are childish and self serving. Both parties are guilty. How we handle Covid and the vaccine should only reflect what we think is best for the American people based on the best current information we have.

Make sure your information is correct. If you get Covid, you have a 1 to 1.5% chance of dying and probably an additional 1% chance of having severe long term complications. As of yesterday 71 million vaccines have been given. So far with no deaths attributable to them. That may change, but any rate of complications with the vaccine will be minimal when compared to having Covid. The vaccine does appear to limit your ability to spread Covid and reduces your chances of getting severe Covid to almost zero. There’s almost no reason to not get the vaccine. Yes, I have had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine as has my entire staff. No complications after the first shot and mild complications after the second. I probably had the worst- was tired, achy, and ran a 102 fever the next day. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Since you are on this site- if everyone would get their shot as soon as possible, there’s an excellent chance the “Valley” will be full at some point in time this season!
I doubt people who don't want to get the vaccine are afraid of dying when they get it. I would have no fear about immediate effects as these are known from the vaccine trials. The question, in my opinion is what long term effects could there be? This is the unknown because of the accelerated approval process and lack of longer term studies of the vaccine.

I doubt people who don't want to get the vaccine are afraid of dying when they get it. I would have no fear about immediate effects as these are known from the vaccine trials. The question, in my opinion is what long term effects could there be? This is the unknown because of the accelerated approval process and lack of longer term studies of the vaccine.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Reactions: SconnyTiger25
I've had both my shots and I got them asap. I had a slightly sore arm for a day or so after each shot. My wife got sick for about 24-36 hours following her second shot, running a fever of 99-101, coupled with aches, a bit of nausea and lethargy.

Now that I am better protected than I was a month ago, I feel more at liberty to travel. I'm leaving for a trip out west in a week or so, we have reservations at the beach in Florida for April and I'm more confident about going to Clemson football games in 2021 than I was in 2020. I'm likely to continue wearing a mask in many public locations at least until most agree that Covid is no longer epidemic.
Generally I have good health but still social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing have given me an illness free year. Some folks say the masks improve my overall appearance. I've noticed others who are also better looking with a mask than without one.

Way back the first time America was Great, the US Supreme Court ruled that vaccinations could be mandatory. Essentially everyone who attended public schools in the US before 1972 was required to have a small pox vaccination. The small pox vaccination program was so effective that the disease has been almost completely eliminated in America and world wide.

I had Covid in January.

I knew I had a 1 percent chance of dying.

For 5 days I felt 100% like I wanted to die.

I will be getting the vaccine.
Same here. I had it in December. I cant quite say i felt like i wanted to die, but on days six through ten, I could understand why some people would want to call Dr Kevorkian. I also had a new admiration for those who endure chronic physical pain.

Reactions: The Tifoon
I've had both my shots and I got them asap. I had a slightly sore arm for a day or so after each shot. My wife got sick for about 24-36 hours following her second shot, running a fever of 99-101, coupled with aches, a bit of nausea and lethargy.

Now that I am better protected than I was a month ago, I feel more at liberty to travel. I'm leaving for a trip out west in a week or so, we have reservations at the beach in Florida for April and I'm more confident about going to Clemson football games in 2021 than I was in 2020. I'm likely to continue wearing a mask in many public locations at least until most agree that Covid is no longer epidemic.
Generally I have good health but still social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing have given me an illness free year. Some folks say the masks improve my overall appearance. I've noticed others who are also better looking with a mask than without one.

Way back the first time America was Great, the US Supreme Court ruled that vaccinations could be mandatory. Essentially everyone who attended public schools in the US before 1972 was required to have a small pox vaccination. The small pox vaccination program was so effective that the disease has been almost completely eliminated in America and world wide.
Well said. Although i have already had the rona, i will get the J&J vaccine over the next couple of months.

Why not? I was speaking with a dental hygentist and she was upset that many young dental techs were not getting the Vax (have high-priority status). Their reasoning is if they get exposed they two weeks off work with pay. I have no first hand knowledge, but I don’t feel real good about opening wide in the dental chair. I would like to think medical workers, Uber drivers, airline stewards, restaurant wait staffs, and other people that come in contact with others get the Vax.

Why not force it on society? Is that what you are really asking? I hope you aren’t that stupid.

Some people won’t trust anything they hear but if you really have an open mind Israel is the best test case due to their size and aggressive rollout. tldr results are good, 0 cases reported for people 22 daya out from second shot, 1 week out the numbers were 254 cases out of 416,900.
Israel data also suggests it lowers transmission.

Reactions: Tiger at State
If you knew me and my family, especially my precious disabled daughter, you would know that the vaccine is critical to our lives. She hasn't been out to eat in almost a year. And I don't know when she will be approved to get her shot(s).

If you knew me and my family, especially my precious disabled daughter, you would know that the vaccine is critical to our lives. She hasn't been out to eat in almost a year. And I don't know when she will be approved to get her shot(s).
If her doctor is not against her getting the vaccine, I would go to a local pharmacy(like an ingles pharmacy) that has less traffic around the end of the daily times for vaccines. IF they have more vaccines than they have appointments to administer them, they can give her one because they would just have to throw them away otherwise. You may want to stop by one close to your house and give them your number and have them call you if they have unexpected availability at the end of the day.

Well...this thread I guess I’ll jump in

I’m not an anti vax. And would get it if offered. I’m not currently seeking it out, but if avail I’m not opposed.

My real question. I’ve had the CV and tested positive for the ABs. Looking back on the timeline I thought I had a long hangover from a 2 day golf outing. Wife had no symptoms.

Neither of us had symptoms that were obvious. Both our kids have seemingly been exposed with no effect as well.

I know a bunch of people who tested positive around the same time so we can pin down when we likely “had it”.

We have elderly inlaws that are with us daily. They have had no effects. I assume they were exposed at same time as us but never tested so unsure etc.

What will the vax provide new to our ability to fight?

I’m not looking to fight. Honest...my kids have been in school, we do all the normal things and know no one that has had a reaction worse than a flu.

Again it’s an honest question of what’s different? Similar to a flu shot don’t they change yearly? So wouldn’t we be prudent to wait for the evolution of the shot to the next strain? I’m clearly not a scientist ha

Reactions: wmnesbitt
I will not be taking the vaccine. I had covid months ago and I still have antibodies in me.

There is no evidence that the vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it and spreading it so it absolutely shouldn’t be mandatory. I’m sure the vaccine does work at lessening the side effects of covid. However, mRNA is the definition of experimental medicine as we’ve never used this technology in vaccines beforehand.

I’m not anti-vaccine as I have had my all the other vaccines but I will not take a vaccine with new technology until it goes through normal testing processes every other vaccine had to go through prior to this virus (at least five years of study to determine long term side effects). We made the Nuremberg Laws after WWII that you can’t do experimental medicines on humans without their Informed Consent. If you want to get the vaccine great but you don’t get to tell me what I get to put into my body.

Also, if you believe in the science of the vaccine great take it. But by that logic come summer if anybody can get the vaccine everything should be open at full capacity and no masks.

Last edited:
I will not be taking the vaccine. I had covid months ago and I still have antibodies in me.

There is no evidence that the vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it and spreading it so it absolutely shouldn’t be mandatory. I’m sure the vaccine does work at lessening the side effects of covid. However, mRNA is the definition of experimental medicine as we’ve never used this technology in vaccines beforehand.

I’m not anti-vaccine as I have had my all the other vaccine but not take a vaccine with new technology until it goes through normal testing processes every other vaccine had to go through prior to this virus (at least five years of study to determine long term side effects). We made the Nuremberg Laws after WWII that you can’t do experimental medicines on humans without their Informed Consent. If you want to get the vaccine great but you don’t get to tell me what I get to put into my body.

Also, if you believe in the science of the vaccine great take it. But by that logic come summer if anybody can get the vaccine everything should be open at full capacity and no masks.
No one has died from the vaccine or from having Covid after receiving the vaccine.

mRNA vaccines have been studied and tested for many years as well. The benefit to them is how fast they can be developed versus older methods.

Don't know where you're located but in many communities you can sign up at local drugstores and if they have extras at end of day they'll call you within an hour or 2 of closing and you can take your daughter to go get one. I know people from SC to Alaska who have gotten shots this way.

No offense but Trump didn't do shit as far as getting the vaccine out. The drug companies went as fast as was safely possible because it's their ass that's going to get kicked if something with their product is bad.
Excuse me, but without Trump pushing to remove all the bureaucratic red tape and regulations which normally cause a new medication to take up to 5-10 years to hit the market, and working with the pharmaceutical companies to ensure a shorter, but safe as possible, timeline, no, there would be no vaccine and, there is very little risk for these companies, because, as part of the deal, no matter what happens with their vaccine, they can’t be sued.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT