ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get the COVID vaccine?

Excuse me, but without Trump pushing to remove all the bureaucratic red tape and regulations which normally cause a new medication to take up to 5-10 years to hit the market, and working with the pharmaceutical companies to ensure a shorter, but safe as possible, timeline, no, there would be no vaccine and, there is very little risk for these companies, because, as part of the deal, no matter what happens with their vaccine, they can’t be sued.
If there were any ill effects from the vaccine you know damn well Trump would be given credit for it then.

I will not be taking the vaccine. I had covid months ago and I still have antibodies in me.

There is no evidence that the vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it and spreading it so it absolutely shouldn’t be mandatory. I’m sure the vaccine does work at lessening the side effects of covid. However, mRNA is the definition of experimental medicine as we’ve never used this technology in vaccines beforehand.

I’m not anti-vaccine as I have had my all the other vaccines but I will not take a vaccine with new technology until it goes through normal testing processes every other vaccine had to go through prior to this virus (at least five years of study to determine long term side effects). We made the Nuremberg Laws after WWII that you can’t do experimental medicines on humans without their Informed Consent. If you want to get the vaccine great but you don’t get to tell me what I get to put into my body.

Also, if you believe in the science of the vaccine great take it. But by that logic come summer if anybody can get the vaccine everything should be open at full capacity and no masks.
This is kind if where I am.

we spent a week in NYC at Christmas in 2019 and it was packed.And I am pretty sure the COVID was there at the same time. Maybe it wasnt or maybe we were lucky enough to not get it while jammed in the crowds around rockefeller center and such.

my daughter got pretty sick in Late Jan 2020 for about 2 weeks. And all signs point to Flu or COVID looking back on it. Her volleyball team also all was sick at the same time.

I would not be shocked if my whole family tested positive for the antibodies. Or would have months ago.

i am wary of the fast rollout/development, the large differences of symptoms of COVID, the inconsistent guidance, the experts not truly following their own advice, the politicizing of it all.

I also am worried it is a serious illness and the what if someone I love gets seriously ill from it.

I will get vaccinated if given the opportunity. But right now life doesnt seem to change if you get vaccinated or not.

Make sure your information is correct. If you get Covid, you have a 1 to 1.5% chance of dying and probably an additional 1% chance of having severe long term complications. As of yesterday 71 million vaccines have been given. So far with no deaths attributable to them. That may change, but any rate of complications with the vaccine will be minimal when compared to having Covid. The vaccine does appear to limit your ability to spread Covid and reduces your chances of getting severe Covid to almost zero. There’s almost no reason to not get the vaccine. Yes, I have had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine as has my entire staff. No complications after the first shot and mild complications after the second. I probably had the worst- was tired, achy, and ran a 102 fever the next day. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Since you are on this site- if everyone would get their shot as soon as possible, there’s an excellent chance the “Valley” will be full at some point in time this season!

There is no 1-1.5% chance to die if you get covid. That is false.

If you already had covid, you do not need a vaccine for 6 months.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
Well...this thread I guess I’ll jump in

I’m not an anti vax. And would get it if offered. I’m not currently seeking it out, but if avail I’m not opposed.

My real question. I’ve had the CV and tested positive for the ABs. Looking back on the timeline I thought I had a long hangover from a 2 day golf outing. Wife had no symptoms.

Neither of us had symptoms that were obvious. Both our kids have seemingly been exposed with no effect as well.

I know a bunch of people who tested positive around the same time so we can pin down when we likely “had it”.

We have elderly inlaws that are with us daily. They have had no effects. I assume they were exposed at same time as us but never tested so unsure etc.

What will the vax provide new to our ability to fight?

I’m not looking to fight. Honest...my kids have been in school, we do all the normal things and know no one that has had a reaction worse than a flu.

Again it’s an honest question of what’s different? Similar to a flu shot don’t they change yearly? So wouldn’t we be prudent to wait for the evolution of the shot to the next strain? I’m clearly not a scientist ha
Great question. I guess the value isn't for the vast majority whose bodies fight the virus well, it's for that small percentage that the virus kicks their butts. By preventing the number of people who can spread the virus, we help those who are most vulnerable.

Great question. I guess the value isn't for the vast majority whose bodies fight the virus well, it's for that small percentage that the virus kicks their butts. By preventing the number of people who can spread the virus, we help those who are most vulnerable.

We’ve also had to wade through the muck of misinformation that led to so many focusing solely on low mortality rates for non-elderly, not grasping or appreciating the incredibly serious short and long term effects / damage to so many different systems & organs that can occur in folks who “recover” (which just means that they didn’t die) from Covid.

Reactions: yoshi121374
I doubt people who don't want to get the vaccine are afraid of dying when they get it. I would have no fear about immediate effects as these are known from the vaccine trials. The question, in my opinion is what long term effects could there be? This is the unknown because of the accelerated approval process and lack of longer term studies of the vaccine.

Severe cases of the H1N1 flu also have long term effects. I am not saying not to take the vaccine but long term effects, virus variants etc will occur with COVID and the flu. I won't live in fear of covid-19 because of it.

Reactions: SconnyTiger25
If there were any ill effects from the vaccine you know damn well Trump would be given credit for it then.
But he accused the drug companies of withholding vaccine results until after the election.

But he accused the drug companies of withholding vaccine results until after the election.

Those two things do not have a relationship that you are comparing. It is true the data on the vaccines could have been published before the election. It is true any negative effects would be placed on Trump had they occurred.

Reactions: SconnyTiger25
I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

please let me know the point. Because I feel I may be uninformed at the least.
You should definitely get it. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 95% effective at keeping you from getting the virus, and if you do get it, symptoms will be mild. The only reason they’re not saying that it prevents the spread of the virus is that they’re still testing that facet.

You only still have to wear a mask because not enough people are vaccinated yet, and there is still a significant amount of virus spreading (which may also be a function of there not being enough people vaccinated). Once enough people are vaccinated, there won’t be a need for mask mandates.

I doubt people who don't want to get the vaccine are afraid of dying when they get it. I would have no fear about immediate effects as these are known from the vaccine trials. The question, in my opinion is what long term effects could there be? This is the unknown because of the accelerated approval process and lack of longer term studies of the vaccine.
Dying from the virus isn't the only outcome. What about all of the unknown long term health issues from being infected with covid ? Only time will tell the long term ravages this virus will inflict upon the human body.

I will not be taking the vaccine. I had covid months ago and I still have antibodies in me.

There is no evidence that the vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting it and spreading it so it absolutely shouldn’t be mandatory. I’m sure the vaccine does work at lessening the side effects of covid. However, mRNA is the definition of experimental medicine as we’ve never used this technology in vaccines beforehand.

I’m not anti-vaccine as I have had my all the other vaccines but I will not take a vaccine with new technology until it goes through normal testing processes every other vaccine had to go through prior to this virus (at least five years of study to determine long term side effects). We made the Nuremberg Laws after WWII that you can’t do experimental medicines on humans without their Informed Consent. If you want to get the vaccine great but you don’t get to tell me what I get to put into my body.

Also, if you believe in the science of the vaccine great take it. But by that logic come summer if anybody can get the vaccine everything should be open at full capacity and no masks.

I have no problem with your post and it should be a choice for anyone to get the vaccine.

Just to correct a few things:

1) There is plenty of evidence to show the vaccine DOES prevent you from getting covid. Overwhelming evidence.

2) mrna technology has been used in vaccines before (zika, rabies, cmv, influenza). None are FDA approved and none have gone through Phase 3 testing.

Do you have proof of this or are you just repeating what you have heard?
Do you have proof of this or are you just repeating what you have heard?
My professional life has been spent in computational biology. I do "have proof", and that proof is freely and readily available to anyone.

There is material all over the internet to read on the advantages of getting the vaccine! Some people on here need to look it up and read about it, I can't understand why anyone would not want to get itl (That is how we got rid of polio by the way !!) Over 500,000 people have died. How can you not want it??

I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

Yes. Excellent protection from getting the virus, and very good data that even if you still get it yours will be a very mild case, even with the new variants. The chance of hospitalization or death goes to near-zero from what I have seen. Also, the more people who get it, the quicker the masks and other restrictions for everyone go away. I’ll certainly be getting it as soon as they’ll let me.

Please, PLEASE. before you act upon anyone’s advice (INCLUDING THIS ONE) on this issue, know that there is NO single correct answer to your question. This should be a highly personalized decision based primarily on your age and health status, particularly the generally accepted (at this time) comorbid conditions that affect outcome. Lots of statistical data out there that is hardening though still not firm. And it is not just living thru this nasty disease, it also is the large and growing percentage of patients with long term life-impacting side effects. Clearly still lots of unknowns about the long term effects of the vaccine (good or bad) but on balance the vaccine appears to be highly effective in reducing hospitalizations and severe disease and a study released this week, provides compelling data that it reduces transmissability as well. It’s honestly been a blessing to have something that effective, that quickly for many high risk citizens that would otherwise have lost their life or suffered significantly as a “survivor”. It was an easy decision for me given my age and risk profile and if nothing else, provided a sense of relief from the day to day anxiety and lifestyle adjustments worrying about getting the virus. And more importantly to me, the worry of giving it to someone else. For a young healthy female of childbearng age, not so easy. Consult with your physician that knows you and make an informed decision for YOU. Blessings!
There aren’t really any common individual considerations to make, though, especially when governments are already making so many decisions for us because of vulnerability to the virus. Taking a vaccine isn’t risky at all, while not taking the vaccine is much more risky, plus once enough people get vaccinated, we won’t need to take all these harsh public health measures. That’s all there really is to it.

No, it alters your DNA

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
I’m 70 so I’m getting it. Basically it’s questionable why healthy young adults would get a vaccine to protect against a virus that has a 0.1% morality rate; especially when the long term affects of that vaccine are unknown.
A couple reasons: to stop the spread of the virus to more vulnerable people, and while doing that help to end the pandemic; because the .1% mortality rate for young heathy people (it’s higher for the general population) is still higher than the mortality rate for vaccinated people, and the rate of serious illness is much higher than .1% for all age groups.

He deserves a lot of blame for what wrong in the US with Covid, and for acting like it was a talking point instead of a public health emergency, but he deserves little credit and no blame for anything that went on in the labs.

There is material all over the internet to read on the advantages of getting the vaccine! Some people on here need to look it up and read about it, I can't understand why anyone would not want to get itl (That is how we got rid of polio by the way !!) Over 500,000 people have died. How can you not want it??
I'm not advocating for people not to get it, but there is a lot of "unknown" about the vaccine. mrna vaccines are new and to my knowledge this is the first one that has been FDA approved for humans. There is zero long term data on the safety of any mrna vaccine. I'm not questioning the advantages of getting it. It's a no brainer for those who are high risk or have frequent close contact with others who are high risk and can not take the vaccine for some reason. Having said that, I don't really understand people who pretend it's not possible there could be long term risks we do not know about with the vaccine.

I'm not advocating for people not to get it, but there is a lot of "unknown" about the vaccine. mrna vaccines are new and to my knowledge this is the first one that has been FDA approved for humans. There is zero long term data on the safety of any mrna vaccine. I'm not questioning the advantages of getting it. It's a no brainer for those who are high risk or have frequent close contact with others who are high risk and can not take the vaccine for some reason. Having said that, I don't really understand people who pretend it's not possible there could be long term risks we do not know about with the vaccine.
What specific long term risks are you concerned about?

I’d do research on it and then make a decision if it’s a good fit for you.

What specific long term risks are you concerned about?
I'm not concerned about any specific long term risk. My point was that no one knows what long term risk there may be. Not only are they new vaccines, but they are a new type of vaccine that has never been approved before(several have been denied approval, though). I'm not saying I will not get the vaccine. Just that I think it is completely reasonable for otherwise heathy people who have a very small risk of covid problems to question whether or not they want to take an unnecessary risk since there is no long term data on any type of mrna vaccine, much less on these specifically.

Of course you should, and yes the vaccine helps keep you from getting it. And yes, if you do happen to get it you won't have a bad reaction....most likely you won't have any symptoms at all.

The people who won't get the vaccine are paranoid conspiracy theorists.

Of course you should, and yes the vaccine helps keep you from getting it. And yes, if you do happen to get it you won't have a bad reaction....most likely you won't have any symptoms at all.

The people who won't get the vaccine are paranoid conspiracy theorists.
There is ZERO data on long term, or even intermediate term, risks not only of this vaccine, but of any mrna vaccine. There have been multiple mrna vaccines denied approval. This is the first one that has ever been approved for human use - mainly because it is newer medical technology/science. I'm not saying I expect there are going to be negative long term side effects, but you completely dismissing the possibility is moronic.

There is ZERO data on long term, or even intermediate term, risks not only of this vaccine, but of any mrna vaccine. There have been multiple mrna vaccines denied approval. This is the first one that has ever been approved for human use - mainly because it is newer medical technology/science. I'm not saying I expect there are going to be negative long term side effects, but you completely dismissing the possibility is moronic.

@saber8689 said they've been working on and testing mrna vaccines for 10-15 years now.....you can pretty safely assume that there won't be any long term side effects, but yea not with 100% certainty. But IMO the probability is so low that that it's not worth worrying about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT