ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get the COVID vaccine?

The question here is how many failures have their been for mrna vaccines? Pharma is risk averse in pushing new tech because trials are extremely costly. Warp Speed changed the equation. New doesn't equal dangerous. Look up the history for yourself.

What long term side effects are you worried about? How do they compare to the long term side effects of getting Covid?

You're either going to get covid or the vaccine eventually. How many people have died from the vaccination? Additionally, it's likely the immunity from the vaccine is better and more durable.

IMO, there is no rational reason to not get the vaccine. Irrational, yes. I'm getting my second next week. I look forward to zero chance of dying from Covid.
It may be that getting the vaccine is most sensible for you, but there is a reason vaccines go through many trials and typically years of study before approval. The more I read and study, the more concerned I become, especially for young people. The older you are, the more likely it is a no brainer to get the vaccine. The younger and healthier you are, the more likely the opposite, I would think. I am typically very much in favor of vaccinations (and do not like anti-vax rhetoric), but I am leery of this one.

The obscured origin of the virus and the concern that I have that it was (in my estimation) likely altered by humans, makes me even more leery.

It may be that getting the vaccine is most sensible for you, but there is a reason vaccines go through many trials and typically years of study before approval. The more I read and study, the more concerned I become, especially for young people. The older you are, the more likely it is a no brainer to get the vaccine. The younger and healthier you are, the more likely the opposite, I would think. I am typically very much in favor of vaccinations (and do not like anti-vax rhetoric), but I am leery of this one.

The obscured origin of the virus and the concern that I have that it was (in my estimation) likely altered by humans, makes me even more leery.
What exactly have you seen that makes you leery? Specifically towards younger people using the vaccine.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Is this you? Figure it had to be.

200.gif

Reactions: GoodWord28
Everyone needs to make their on decision. If you have had COVID then antibodies should keep you from getting a severe case. So for me, the long term possible side effects of the vaccine are not known so I will not take the chance. Now if you have not had the China virus, and are at risk, probably better to take a chance with the vaccine. But for younger folks, most who have already had it and will live a long time, I see no benefit from the vaccine, only possible long term side effects. Your rolling the dice either way. You need to do what is best for your piece of mind. Read different views. Don’t take the CDC opinions or the big Pharmas word at face value. Remember the drug companies requested to be exempt from legal action. That also bothers the heck out of me.

Masks and vaccine is the only way out! I got both already, and they are coming out really soon with a one shot vaccine!! Especially when these younger kids party, don't care about wearing a mask and that applies to some older ones too. I feel like I have done my part in preventing catching it and passing it off to my family ! Protect your family!!!! I sit with my sister in law who is bed ridden with MS, gotta protect her !

Reactions: yoshi121374
When there are over 500,000 deaths from the vaccine in the U.S. I will be hesitant. Until then I will gladly take the vaccine.
It already is over 500,000!
Covid-19 has killed at least 514,253 people and infected about 28.7 million in the United States since last January, according to data by Johns Hopkins University.

Well put. I have done my homework and will get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine when available in my area. One of the "expert virologists" has come out and said there is no evidence linking cases of shingles with the Moderna vaccine. My mother-in-law and two of her friends all got shingles after the vaccine. In my mother-in-law's case, she had chicken pox and no vaccine for shingles. I am not suggesting there is a connection, but the statistics of three people of mutual aquaintance all getting the shingles is enough for my decision. Someone coming out and declaring there is no connection raises a red flag to me. If there were no other options, I would take an RNA vaccine (I had chickenpox and the vaccine for shingles). My long term horizon isn't long enough to worry about long term side effects. I don't want my son to take the RNA vaccine (any potential to impact a grandchild is too high for me).
There's only been one vaccine approved using an adenovirus vector like the one used for the J&J vaccine. While there has been lots of testing done with viral vectors, I don't know why you'd be more trusting of an adenovirus vaccine than a mRNA vaccine, especially considering that mRNA is more effective. But there's no reason to think either vaccine is going to have a bunch of long-term side-effects. That's just very rare with vaccines.

I also have no clue how a vaccine could cause you to get another virus. That would only make sense if you were getting the shingles vaccine and you were getting a live virus vaccine.

Reactions: Tiger at State
There's only been one vaccine approved using an adenovirus vector like the one used for the J&J vaccine. While there has been lots of testing done with viral vectors, I don't know why you'd be more trusting of an adenovirus vaccine than a mRNA vaccine, especially considering that mRNA is more effective. But there's no reason to think either vaccine is going to have a bunch of long-term side-effects. That's just very rare with vaccines.

I also have no clue how a vaccine could cause you to get another virus. That would only make sense if you were getting the shingles vaccine and you were getting a live virus vaccine.

MNRA is not a vaccine. Treatment yes. I hope it works.

https://vaxxter.com/category/drt_blog/. This is the best two articles by a well known immunologist. Don’t see any reason why she would not be telling the truth for those that think those opposed are quacks.
She is well known for believing that vaccines cause autism. She is very much against vaccines and believes in alternative medicines. She also is trying to sell her "detoxify" medicine on the linked website.

She is well known for believing that vaccines cause autism. She is very much against vaccines and believes in alternative medicines. She also is trying to sell her "detoxify" medicine on the linked website.

So big Pharma is not not trying to sell their vaccine. But hey, if you think it’s not true, then go for it. At least you read another opinion. Oh and I bet if her medicine hurt or killed someone, she could be sued. Can you say that about Pharma?

Some more info from more doctors. She is not the only one

Last edited:
So big Pharma is not not trying to sell their vaccine. But hey, if you think it’s not true, then go for it. At least you read another opinion. Oh and I bet if her medicine hurt or killed someone, she could be sued. Can you say that about Pharma?

Some more info from more doctors. She is not the only one
This is from a conspiracy site.

Exactly, some things don’t make sense, therefore if things don’t all add up, maybe you crawl before you walk. It was equally rare that a human manufactured virus was released on the human population, whether on purpose or by accident means nothing. People need to do what makes them sleep better at night.

I Simply don’t like people being so matter of fact about something relatively unknown. Didn’t we learn anything from the rabbit and the hare?

Answer me this.
  • Prior (approx. 60 yrs. of data) to 2020, masks were not used to prevent viral transmission, post 2020 masks prevent viral transmission.
  • Prior to 2020, children were believed to have "immature" (runny nose, coughing a lot) immune capacity, post 2020 adults have immature capacities while children are literally immune to a NOVEL virus, i.e. their immune system has NEVER experienced it before, but yet they virtually (less than .01%) have no fatalities, the common flu and cold are much deadlier.
  • Prior to 2020, a common time frame for vaccine development was approx. 5-10 yrs., post 2020 it takes 5-10 months.
  • Prior to 2020, "acceptable" death rates for respiratory deaths within the US were 60,000 to 100,000 per year, post 2020 the "acceptable" death rate is not 1 person.
  • Prior to 2020, a novel viral litmus test was anywhere on Earth that had poor sanitary and hygiene (3rd world) conditions, post 2020 the highest death rates are the most "clean" (1st world, US, European) countries, while the lowest death rates are literally where it is impossible for people to social distance (Africa, South America, South Pacific, Asian) and no masks.
Virus, no virus, vaccine, no vaccine, I personally don't care what anyone else does to "protect" themselves or not since we can all make up our own minds. I'm simply confused why so many "factual" data points have transformed within a 1 year period of time into more "factual" data points. Has anyone else asked any of these questions and many others?
Any takers?

We’ve got people in here believing the vaccine can make you g people sterile because they read it on a conspiracy theory website.

America is totally doomed.
It’s so odd what they’ll believe and what they’ll just ignore

These vaccines have gone through all the same trials as other vaccines go through, but usually trials take longer because it's hard to find large enough numbers of infected people. That wasn't the case during the pandemic.

For younger people, in addition to protection against moderate and severe cases of the virus, the main reasons to get the vaccine are to stop the spread to more vulnerable people, and to end the pandemic. Fortunately, it's looking like those are good enough reasons for a majority of younger people to want to take the virus and to help us get past this pandemic.

What exactly have you seen that makes you sure there are no long term side effects?
The "long term side effects" thing seems like a meme that's caught on among vaccine hesitant people that's not necessarily based on anything that people who study and evaluate vaccines seem concerned about. That's probably partially because delayed side effects of vaccines almost always show up within two months, and those would've shown up during Phase 3 trials (which took about 3 months). Nearly all delayed side effects that have shown up with other vaccines were also conditions that were more likely to be caused by the illness itself. So while nobody knows for sure that there won't be any side effects that show up months after tens of thousands were part of clinical trials, and months after millions of doses were given to people, it's a lot more likely that you'll have a problem with COVID (ie. over 500k deaths among 320 million people, and many more severe and moderate cases) than that you'll have a "long-term" problem after being vaccinated (somewhere between 2-11 people per million have had anaphylaxis, and no delayed side effects to speak of 8 months after Phase 3 trials began for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines). Long story short: all the evidence suggests that approved vaccines are much safer than not being vaccinated (and that doesn't just include keeping you from dying, although the chance of dying from COVID is much higher than dying from COVID or the vaccine after being vaccinated).

Answer me this.
  • Prior (approx. 60 yrs. of data) to 2020, masks were not used to prevent viral transmission, post 2020 masks prevent viral transmission.
  • People have been wearing masks for "source control" for a long time, but the ability of masks to protect the wearer is limited by how well-fitting the mask is, and how well the material filters the air. That's part of why they originally tried to discourage people from relying on masks. But they also didn't know how prevalent asymptomatic spread was when they were recommending against people wearing masks in public. I think you'd agree that recommendations should change as our understanding changes, right? What we know now is probably more trustworthy than when we were flying by the seat of our pants responding to a new virus.

• Prior to 2020, children were believed to have "immature" (runny nose, coughing a lot) immune capacity, post 2020 adults have immature capacities while children are literally immune to a NOVEL virus, i.e. their immune system has NEVER experienced it before, but yet they virtually (less than .01%) have no fatalities, the common flu and cold are much deadlier.
  • Children aren't literally immune to COVID, although a couple of reasons why they might be less susceptible are how new the virus is, and that kids' immune systems mount different responses than adults' immune systems do. We're still learning more, and none of us are experts in this. But if we really want to know more, there's plenty of information out there. And the main theme here is that we're dealing with a novel virus, so we should expect some things to be different: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html

• Prior to 2020, a common time frame for vaccine development was approx. 5-10 yrs., post 2020 it takes 5-10 months.
  • This is another one where the situation has been unique: hundreds of companies from across the world were working at the same time to develop a vaccine, and working together in many cases. Because we're in a pandemic, they were able to find lots of participants. And recent work on other viruses enabled the quick development of mRNA vaccines. The government also helped by making pharmaceutical companies' investment in vaccine development less risky by guaranteeing orders before the vaccines were done being developed and evaluated, and by cutting some red tape. But all the vaccines are going through the same FDA evaluation they normally would.

• Prior to 2020, "acceptable" death rates for respiratory deaths within the US were 60,000 to 100,000 per year, post 2020 the "acceptable" death rate is not 1 person.
  • This seems like a misrepresentation. Previous years when we had bad flu seasons might have killed 60,000 or more, but the infection rate, serious illness rate, and death rate were all lower than COVID. We also already have vaccines and treatments for the flu.

• Prior to 2020, a novel viral litmus test was anywhere on Earth that had poor sanitary and hygiene (3rd world) conditions, post 2020 the highest death rates are the most "clean" (1st world, US, European) countries, while the lowest death rates are literally where it is impossible for people to social distance (Africa, South America, South Pacific, Asian) and no masks.
  • There are some high death rates in the southern hemisphere, too. But here are some reasons why poorer countries might've fared better during this pandemic: https://theconversation.com/what-de...ies-about-how-to-respond-to-a-pandemic-146784
Virus, no virus, vaccine, no vaccine, I personally don't care what anyone else does to "protect" themselves or not since we can all make up our own minds. I'm simply confused why so many "factual" data points have transformed within a 1 year period of time into more "factual" data points. Has anyone else asked any of these questions and many others?
Any takers?

Getting vaccinated isn't just a personal choice, since vaccines are also about protecting the population from the spread of viruses in addition to protecting individuals from getting sick. People ought to expect to get some crap about refusing to get vaccinated or trying to convince other people not to get vaccinated until we get to the point where enough people are vaccinated to end the pandemic.

Most of the "facts" you cited here either weren't quite facts, or were facts about other viruses that we wouldn't necessarily expect to apply to this virus, or to this pandemic. Some of the things we thought we knew at the beginning of the pandemic were just guesses we had to live by until we knew more about the virus and how to respond to it. I don't think we should expect that we wouldn't have learned anything after a year of learning about this virus and responding to the pandemic that would've caused us to revive our previous "facts."

Reactions: TheValley91
I said at my country club, why would I need to spread untruths. I don’t care if other people make the decision to vaccinate but the people pushing vaccines in this case as doing so with little information, no different than Fauci. Get it or don’t, I’m over trying to offer other perspectives for debate. The numbers of people I personally know that are doctors/surgeons is close to 50/50. Surgeons have no agenda and seem to be more honest.
Well maybe the surgeons at your country club are all retired. Because surgeons working in the upstate are encountering covid often in their daily activities. Virtually all working surgeons have already been vaccinated because they are far more fearful of both the short and long term health consequences of being infected with Covid 19. Clearly you care if people get vaccinated otherwise you wouldn't be pushing this blatant lie that physicians are "split" on taking the vaccine. This simply isn't true, stop spreading misinformation just to quell your insecurities.

Possibly sterility in young women and autoimmune diseases for others.

There is absolutely no truth to the sterility claims in women. None.

That is a false claim peddled on the internet. In fact, there were far MORE vaccinated people who got pregnant during the trials than unvaccinated people.

https://vaxxter.com/category/drt_blog/. This is the best two articles by a well known immunologist. Don’t see any reason why she would not be telling the truth for those that think those opposed are quacks.

Tenpenny is an anti-vaccine quack who still peddles that it causes autism. She has no credibility outside of being a conspiracy theorist.

It's frustrating that we got the vaccine thinking that would allow us travel. Wrong.

Looking like our trip to UK will be cancelled. They still make you quarantine.

I was hoping you could flash your vax card, but seems like nobody trusts that vaccine works.
When were you planning on going? Would love to head back over there this summer (or anywhere for that matter).

Can you point me to a successful vaccine trial that was executed more than one time for safety reasons? I doesn't make sense to run a trial for an effective vaccine more than one time. An underwhelming vaccine, it does.

I agree that the whole story on the origin is a truth that won't ever see the light of day. That doesn't mean the vaccine is dangerous, rushed, or otherwise. Things can be two things.

Answer me this.
Any takers?
You bring up some good points. There is tons of grey area here. I agree with some data points here, others I don't. The vaccine development timeline is apples and oranges.

ADVERTISEMENT