ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get the COVID vaccine?

@saber8689 said they've been working on and testing mrna vaccines for 10-15 years now.....you can pretty safely assume that there won't be any long term side effects, but yea not with 100% certainty. But IMO the probability is so low that that it's not worth worrying about.
So your complete trust in this vaccine is based on one post from one person you don't know on a message board? You sound really smart. It is my understanding they have certainly been working on mrna vaccines for several years- maybe even 10-15. However, I don't know of any long term study of these vaccines(or any mrna vaccines) in humans. Let me know if you have seen one. Most vaccines have been around for decades and If we were talking about the polio vaccine or something similar I would agree that you probably have to be wearing a tin foil hat to question it's safety. The fact of the matter is I just don't think it is true that we have done any long term studies on humans and mrna vaccines. I know we have not done them on theses vaccines.

So your complete trust in this vaccine is based on one post from one person you don't know on a message board? You sound really smart. It is my understanding they have certainly been working on mrna vaccines for several years- maybe even 10-15. However, I don't know of any long term study of these vaccines(or any mrna vaccines) in humans. Let me know if you have seen one. Most vaccines have been around for decades and If we were talking about the polio vaccine or something similar I would agree that you probably have to be wearing a tin foil hat to question it's safety. The fact of the matter is I just don't think it is true that we have done any long term studies on humans and mrna vaccines. I know we have not done them on theses vaccines.

I trust him because I know who he is and he's a doctor.

I trust him because I know who he is and he's a doctor.
Okay, well ask him to show you a long term study on humans of any mrna vaccine. It should really be on these specific vaccines to be meaningful, but we KNOW those don't exist. I am just not aware of any long term human trials/studies for any mrna vaccines. I could very well be wrong. I hope I am wrong, I have just not seen any.

It does prevent disease and spread. Multiple studies have confirmed this. Your risk of dying is statistically zero if you do get the rona.
Statistically my chances of dying last I checked even from Rona are only .003%, that’s close enough to zero for me.

All I will continue to say is from my Pool of 20+ doctors, surgeons, etc from the country club, physicians are almost split down the middle, and high level surgeons are in the NO category. Therapeutics are available and work if you do get sick.

I do feel for those of you who are scared or feel like your standard of living will improve should go ahead and take the vaccine so you can ditch the masks.

For the ugly people out there, the masks absolutely work, you should not feel upset about having to wear them, it truly protects our eyes from ocular cancer. If you have any doubts when looking in the mirror, continue to wear the mask please.

• Haha
Reactions: Essolover4
I'm not concerned about any specific long term risk. My point was that no one knows what long term risk there may be. Not only are they new vaccines, but they are a new type of vaccine that has never been approved before(several have been denied approval, though). I'm not saying I will not get the vaccine. Just that I think it is completely reasonable for otherwise heathy people who have a very small risk of covid problems to question whether or not they want to take an unnecessary risk since there is no long term data on any type of mrna vaccine, much less on these specifically.

1) The FDA has not approved any mrna vaccine before. Pfizer and Moderna were granted EUA which is different than approval.

2) The FDA has never denied approval for any mrna vaccine. If I'm wrong about this, let me know. I have not seen any mrna vaccine even submitted to the FDA for approval.

3) we have safety data from other mrna vaccines administered in humans as far back as 2011.

4) As someone else asked, what long term side effects are you worried about? Just saying long term effects is vague. It also seems like the long term effects would have to be serious for them to matter.

If the long term effect was, say, that you had to urinate 1x more a day, would that deter you from getting the vaccine?

Last edited:
By the data, of the 175,000 participants in various vaccine trials, there were ZERO hospitalizations from covid in the vaccinated group.

By the data so from around 3,000,000 fully vaccinated (2 weeks post second dose) people around the world, there has not been a single death due to COVID.

In Israel, 3 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer, there was around an ~80% effectiveness in 70+ year olds..

Data continues to be collected and reported, but so far the vaccine has been as safe and effective as advertised. Everyone should absolutely have the choice to take the vaccine or not. The morally right decision for the overwhelming majority of people is to get the vaccine.
Have these trials been peer reviewed and are they 100% able to replicate the process used in the trial? Last I checked this is how you verify science works.

On the other hand, we now have over a year of Rona data and people who have verified the efficacy of therapeutics after the media bias subsided.

Trials are a great first step but prove nothing until they are replicated by others and same results are shown over and over. Do you have a link to the data for the trial or is this like an unnamed media source? I would certainly be interested in following the trial, perhaps in time I might change my opinion.

Okay, well ask him to show you a long term study on humans of any mrna vaccine. It should really be on these specific vaccines to be meaningful, but we KNOW those don't exist. I am just not aware of any long term human trials/studies for any mrna vaccines. I could very well be wrong. I hope I am wrong, I have just not seen any.

I missed these chains. It depends really on what you mean by "long term" data.

Phase 1 trials on vaccines focus on safety and administer the vaccine to a small number of humans (<20).

Phase 2 focuses mainly on safety and some on efficacy and is administered in a few hundred patients.

Phase 3 is around 30,000 people on mainly efficacy and also follows safety.

Phase 4 continues after approval and continues to follow safety and efficacy for years in the general public.

It's a continuous process and never really stops. There have been phase 1 and some phase 2 trials in mrna vaccines since 2011. None have been halted because of safety, but none have progressed past phase 2 (yet) because of efficacy. All the mrna vaccine candidates have been safe so far. The covid vaccines are the first to claim efficacy.

So if you consider long term data phase 4 results (which is reasonable), then there is none for an mrna vaccine and wont be any for years.

Got my second shot already! Masks and vaccinations it seems to me are the only way to get out of this mess. Can't understand why any one wouldn't want it !
We hope it is the answer. But there are very smart people who are concerned about the long term consequences of the vaccine. It is an agonizing decision for many, especially those young enough to have children in the future.

I have no problem with your post and it should be a choice for anyone to get the vaccine.

Just to correct a few things:

1) There is plenty of evidence to show the vaccine DOES prevent you from getting covid. Overwhelming evidence.

2) mrna technology has been used in vaccines before (zika, rabies, cmv, influenza). None are FDA approved and none have gone through Phase 3 testing.
I am happy to start accepting your opinion when you provide this actual evidence, a report, a peer reviewed medical journal. Your own research?! As of right now you speak as if factual although all we know is you’re a physician and physicians do not agree on the Covid vaccines, almost a 50/50 split I would say, so I’ll trust the doctors I know vs. the ones who make claims on message boards.

A lot of conservatives believe it infringes upon their personal freedom to contract and spread disease.
Tell that to all the kids who have Herpes now and save the conservative vs liberal talk for somewhere else. Conservatives are getting the vaccine, the point is with abortion it’s apparently a choice but with vaccines now it’s not a choice?

A choice is frankly all we have left for ourselves.

Dying from the virus isn't the only outcome. What about all of the unknown long term health issues from being infected with covid ? Only time will tell the long term ravages this virus will inflict upon the human body.
What if you wake up and get run off the highway by an 18 wheeler? What about stop allowing these labs to play with deadly viruses? This was a variant created by man, manufactured death, why can’t we all unify to stop these practices, seems less partisan than who knows “science” better.

I got my vaccine and had mild side effects.

After a year of this virus, it continues to dominate our lives. Yet we have several highly effective and safe vaccines. People against the vaccine will say “maybe you can still be a carrier”. That’s true of nearly all vaccines, which is why herd immunity is so important.

After a year of masks, lockdowns, ridiculous policies, stimulus packages, etc, we continue to be divided by the virus. we aren’t allowed to travel or see family, we have to wear masks in public, and lifelong businesses are being shut down by lockdown policies. I wish we could change the media narrative and the mindset of fear, but we can’t. The vaccine may be the only way to end all this. That’s why I got my vaccine.

Last edited:
Of course you should, and yes the vaccine helps keep you from getting it. And yes, if you do happen to get it you won't have a bad reaction....most likely you won't have any symptoms at all.

The people who won't get the vaccine are paranoid conspiracy theorists.
I don't know if you can just say people who don't get it are paranoid conspiracy theorists.

I havent gotten a Flu Vaccine since 2017 and know a lot of people that just choose not to get them.

But I am sure there are a lot that fall into that category.

I am happy to start accepting your opinion when you provide this actual evidence, a report, a peer reviewed medical journal. Your own research?! As of right now you speak as if factual although all we know is you’re a physician and physicians do not agree on the Covid vaccines, almost a 50/50 split I would say, so I’ll trust the doctors I know vs. the ones who make claims on message boards.

Just because your group of doctors are split down the middle doesn’t mean that’s the norm. The vast majority of doctors have taken the vaccine and are all for it.

The ones that haven’t are probably tin foil conspiracy theorists like you.

I don't know if you can just say people who don't get it are paranoid conspiracy theorists.

I havent gotten a Flu Vaccine since 2017 and know a lot of people that just choose not to get them.

But I am sure there are a lot that fall into that category.

But we aren’t talking about the flu vaccine here. They are completely different from an efficacy standpoint.

Reactions: yoshi121374
There is ZERO data on long term, or even intermediate term, risks not only of this vaccine, but of any mrna vaccine. There have been multiple mrna vaccines denied approval. This is the first one that has ever been approved for human use - mainly because it is newer medical technology/science. I'm not saying I expect there are going to be negative long term side effects, but you completely dismissing the possibility is moronic.
This actually makes me a little more concerned with getting it.

How can there be any long term impact data for this vaccine, where the virus is just over a year old? And then this one is somehow the very first one to be approved in about 10 years? And the first one of a new medical technology?

Why were previous mrna vaccines denied approval?

I think you are onto something.

Just because your group of doctors are split down the middle doesn’t mean that’s the norm. The vast majority of doctors have taken the vaccine and are all for it.

He's not even worth the reply at this point. Everyone on the board knows he is either a massive troll or completely out of touch with reality. No real discourse will be had.

How can there be any long term impact data for this vaccine, where the virus is just over a year old? And then this one is somehow the very first one to be approved in about 10 years? And the first one of a new medical technology?

To be fair to you, there have been numerous posts from informed people about why the vaccine is safe and should be taken.

But now you see someone post a concern about vague "long term" effects that has no data or science to back the concern. And you are convinced you should be worried. Seems as though to me, you already had your mind made well before starting this thread. You were just looking for confirmation.

To be fair to you, there have been numerous posts from informed people about why the vaccine is safe and should be taken.

But now you see someone post a concern about vague "long term" effects that has no data or science to back the concern. And you are convinced you should be worried. Seems as though to me, you already had your mind made well before starting this thread. You were just looking for confirmation.
mind is definitely not made up. I truly believe I will probably get the vaccine at some point. I started this because I figured I would get a wide opinion and many posters on here do lots of research on this and some are even in the know more based on their occupations.

I have seen all of the other posts and just not specifically responded. Mostly due to time.

I have encouraged my parents to get the vaccines, and they have. But am just a little more concerned for some of the younger <50 years old or so demographics. There are not many places we can get the wide range of responses as we can get on TI. I definitely do not rely solely on biased media, and I believe all media is biased.

Take the vaccine. Don't take the vaccine. Idgaf.

I will take it and so will the wife. The kids will not, even if offered inside a few years.

I don't expect you guys to care, and I am so tired of watching these same type pissing matches over the same damn subject for the last year.

Reactions: gooddogjudge

I posted about this if you scroll up.

The covid mrna vaccines are NOT approved by the FDA. They were given emergency EUA, which is very different.

I'm not aware of any mrna vaccine being "denied" approval. Previous mrna vaccines haven't yet shown efficacy, so their progression through the phases of study have been slower. Like I stated before, the safety of mrna vaccines haven't yet been a concern.

The covid mrna vaccines have shown excellent efficacy and have so far been extremely safe.

It's an mRNA vaccine. The blueprint for the spike protein that causes disease gets put in your body, it lasts for about 24 hours and has your cells make some sample spike proteins. Your immune system recognizes that these spike proteins are foreign and attacks them and builds immunity. The spike proteins are gone, the mRNA samples have been gone. You are left with antibodies and no COVID
John, too much fact in your post. You forgot to mention the tracking chip that the government is inserting in each dose. My neighbor actually believes this. Sigh....

I doubt people who don't want to get the vaccine are afraid of dying when they get it. I would have no fear about immediate effects as these are known from the vaccine trials. The question, in my opinion is what long term effects could there be? This is the unknown because of the accelerated approval process and lack of longer term studies of the vaccine.
The vaccine isn't exactly the new kid on the block. It has been under development for 18 years. A lot of people seem to think that it was developed when Covid appeared. It is true that it has not been used before. Based on
the science of the vaccine and my understanding of that science, the vaccine is incredibly safe. I certainly cannot see into the future. Maybe 10 years from now most of the people in the world will go outside on nights with a full moon and howl for a couple of hours. I do know for a fact that a previously healthy individual that dies from Covid endures a miserable death. Suffocating for 2-3 weeks is not my idea of how I want to check out.

I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

please let me know the point. Because I feel I may be uninformed at the least.
Yes. I personally think you should get the vaccine.
It improves your chance of not getting COVID-19.
If you get COVID-19 the chance for significant symptoms is VERY low.
Chance of spreading COVID is decreased if your chance of getting COVID-19 is decreased.
As our population gets vaccinated, restrictions will start to ease.
I respect anyone's decision not to get the vaccine even if I don't agree with their reasoning at times.
I've certainly encouraged all my family, friends, and patients to get vaccinated when their opportunity comes.
Good luck!
Go Tigers.

Just to be clear, I do not know of any study or data that claims the vaccines are unsafe. It is just a relatively new type of vaccine, the fist of which that have been approved. Thus there has been no opportunity for long term(years) studies of possible side effects. The only reason I posted is that some like @TheValley91 were suggesting there was no reason anyone should be questioning the vaccines and that they were unequivocally safe when they have ZERO evidence to support their position. Hopefully, the long term studies from these vaccines will produce data to PROVE there are no long term side effects. Asking questions is a good thing. Don't let ignorant uninformed people making claims there is simply no data to support dissuade you from asking questions. The article below is older, but has a pretty complete history of the path the vaccines have taken to this point. Full disclosure, it is the only article I have ever read from that news source. Just one that popped up from random internet searches about the vaccines.

The vaccine isn't exactly the new kid on the block. It has been under development for 18 years. A lot of people seem to think that it was developed when Covid appeared. It is true that it has not been used before. Based on
the science of the vaccine and my understanding of that science, the vaccine is incredibly safe. I certainly cannot see into the future. Maybe 10 years from now most of the people in the world will go outside on nights with a full moon and howl for a couple of hours. I do know for a fact that a previously healthy individual that dies from Covid endures a miserable death. Suffocating for 2-3 weeks is not my idea of how I want to check out.
Like I have stated before, I think it is a no brainer for many people to get he vaccine. I was just pointing out he fact that there have been no long term(years) studies of this or any other mrna vaccine because theses are the first ones ever approved. Your bolded statement is the only thing I was pointing out. No one can see into the future. There ARE some unknown aspects about the vaccines. In no way do i mean to imply I expect there to be negative long term effects from the virus. We just simply do not know because the data does not exist at this point.

If you think physicians are 50/50 on taking the vaccine you need to increase your sample size. This is just one more untruth spread by you.

Reactions: yoshi121374
If you think physicians are 50/50 on taking the vaccine you need to increase your sample size. This is just one more untruth spread by you.
I said at my country club, why would I need to spread untruths. I don’t care if other people make the decision to vaccinate but the people pushing vaccines in this case as doing so with little information, no different than Fauci. Get it or don’t, I’m over trying to offer other perspectives for debate. The numbers of people I personally know that are doctors/surgeons is close to 50/50. Surgeons have no agenda and seem to be more honest.

I wouldn’t say conspiracy but we are all affluent in our businesses and don’t all agree. There are some who have taken the vaccine and some who refuse, because of this if anyone is in limbo on a decision I wouldn’t rush to get the vaccine. Wait and see is a better approach and if someone forces you to do it for a job, I’d seriously consider finding another job.

I got my vaccine and had mild side effects.

After a year of this virus, we continue to live in fear. Yet we have several highly effective and safe vaccines. People against the vaccine love to say you can still be a carrier. That’s true of nearly all vaccines, which is why herd immunity is so important.

After a year of masks, lockdowns, ridiculous policies, stimulus packages, etc we continue to be divided by the virus. we aren’t allowed to travel or see family, we have to wear masks in public, and lifelong businesses are being shut down by lockdown policies. I wish we could change the media narrative and the mindset of fear, but we can’t. The vaccine may be the only way to end all this. That’s why I got my vaccine.
Honest to the core, I can appreciate that, I’ll be healthy and I’ve already had Covid. I’ll let my body do what it does.

Please, PLEASE. before you act upon anyone’s advice (INCLUDING THIS ONE) on this issue, know that there is NO single correct answer to your question. This should be a highly personalized decision based primarily on your age and health status, particularly the generally accepted (at this time) comorbid conditions that affect outcome. Lots of statistical data out there that is hardening though still not firm. And it is not just living thru this nasty disease, it also is the large and growing percentage of patients with long term life-impacting side effects. Clearly still lots of unknowns about the long term effects of the vaccine (good or bad) but on balance the vaccine appears to be highly effective in reducing hospitalizations and severe disease and a study released this week, provides compelling data that it reduces transmissability as well. It’s honestly been a blessing to have something that effective, that quickly for many high risk citizens that would otherwise have lost their life or suffered significantly as a “survivor”. It was an easy decision for me given my age and risk profile and if nothing else, provided a sense of relief from the day to day anxiety and lifestyle adjustments worrying about getting the virus. And more importantly to me, the worry of giving it to someone else. For a young healthy female of childbearng age, not so easy. Consult with your physician that knows you and make an informed decision for YOU. Blessings!
Well put. I have done my homework and will get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine when available in my area. One of the "expert virologists" has come out and said there is no evidence linking cases of shingles with the Moderna vaccine. My mother-in-law and two of her friends all got shingles after the vaccine. In my mother-in-law's case, she had chicken pox and no vaccine for shingles. I am not suggesting there is a connection, but the statistics of three people of mutual aquaintance all getting the shingles is enough for my decision. Someone coming out and declaring there is no connection raises a red flag to me. If there were no other options, I would take an RNA vaccine (I had chickenpox and the vaccine for shingles). My long term horizon isn't long enough to worry about long term side effects. I don't want my son to take the RNA vaccine (any potential to impact a grandchild is too high for me).

I wouldn’t say conspiracy but we are all affluent in our businesses and don’t all agree. There are some who have taken the vaccine and some who refuse, because of this if anyone is in limbo on a decision I wouldn’t rush to get the vaccine. Wait and see is a better approach and if someone forces you to do it for a job, I’d seriously consider finding another job.

LOL the quicker enough people get vaccinated the quicker the pandemic ends.

Stick to spreading Q type rumors. Is the Pope still being held prisoner?

I know we have polarizing opinions on here and a wide variety of expertise on the subject mixed with some strong political opinions.

But what are the benefits of the vaccine? As far as I have seen it may help me with my symptoms. But it doesnt keep you from getting it. It doesnt keep you from spreading it. You still have to wear a mask.Travel is still impacted.

please let me know the point. Because I feel I may be uninformed at the least.

Yes take it, me and the wife got our first shot yesterday and we are healthy and in our forties. The more people that take it, the faster we get back to full stadiums, concerts, etc.

For those conspiracy theory folks posting in this thread, trump took the vaccine in January, if that affects your decision at all.

The question here is how many failures have their been for mrna vaccines? Pharma is risk averse in pushing new tech because trials are extremely costly. Warp Speed changed the equation. New doesn't equal dangerous. Look up the history for yourself.

What long term side effects are you worried about? How do they compare to the long term side effects of getting Covid?

You're either going to get covid or the vaccine eventually. How many people have died from the vaccination? Additionally, it's likely the immunity from the vaccine is better and more durable.

IMO, there is no rational reason to not get the vaccine. Irrational, yes. I'm getting my second next week. I look forward to zero chance of dying from Covid.

Well put. I have done my homework and will get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine when available in my area. One of the "expert virologists" has come out and said there is no evidence linking cases of shingles with the Moderna vaccine. My mother-in-law and two of her friends all got shingles after the vaccine. In my mother-in-law's case, she had chicken pox and no vaccine for shingles. I am not suggesting there is a connection, but the statistics of three people of mutual aquaintance all getting the shingles is enough for my decision. Someone coming out and declaring there is no connection raises a red flag to me. If there were no other options, I would take an RNA vaccine (I had chickenpox and the vaccine for shingles). My long term horizon isn't long enough to worry about long term side effects. I don't want my son to take the RNA vaccine (any potential to impact a grandchild is too high for me).
So exactly how do you get shingles from a covid vaccine shot? Perhaps they actual got shingles??

Those two things do not have a relationship that you are comparing. It is true the data on the vaccines could have been published before the election. It is true any negative effects would be placed on Trump had they occurred.
Warp speed and all.
I'm going to need some proof for this BS claim.

Yes take it, me and the wife got our first shot yesterday and we are healthy and in our forties. The more people that take it, the faster we get back to full stadiums, concerts, etc.

For those conspiracy theory folks posting in this thread, trump took the vaccine in January, if that affects your decision at all.
Thanks pal, I’ll use my brain though that y’all think is challenged, yet made me a bunch of $$$

ADVERTISEMENT