ADVERTISEMENT

This just in: Georgia Gov. Kemp to sign SIP order for all of GA 4/2/20 and

I like Gov Kemp but man, he seems very reactive on this situation. Coupled with Loeffler possibly being indicted, not a great couple of days for the Governor imo.

Reactions: hj_gville
I like Gov Kemp but man, he seems very reactive on this situation. Coupled with Loeffler possibly being indicted, not a great couple of days for the Governor imo.

He's not my governor anymore, but I couldn't disagree more. He's been all over this from the start. That Loeffler sitch, yeah. That's just bad if true.

Also, how is he supposed to be proactive in this case?

Last edited:
Reactions: Esso Porch
I think he’s handled it well. He seems to have taken it methodically day by day, even when you have Mayor KLB publicly saying she would do such and such differently. Just went to the liquor store.
Finally, someone who appreciates what he's done. And that word, Methodical, is exactly right! Great description of his crisis management style.

Reactions: CAPT KIRK
Shelter in place announcement over a week ago would be proactive

Do you really believe a SIP is the answer? If so, you're the perfect person to respond to my confusion about why so many on here WANT the government to shut down the state/city/country/etc. It's like you all believe that government is what will solve the virus conundrum. It's like you don't believe that you have the ability to stay home if that is what you think is best. You're waiting for some dude to tell you you have to stay home. That just blows my mind.

Is this ome lf these sip like mcmaster did or is this one that shuts everything down?

Is this ome lf these sip like mcmaster did or is this one that shuts everything down?

The executive order will be filed tomorrow for execution on Friday. At that time, the wording will be clear, but from listening to him speak, I did hear that grocery stores and pharmacies will be open. There are also so companies in GA that are manufacturing N95 masks, so obviously they'll continue. I didn't hear him exempt anything stupid, but until the order is published, I suppose we don't technically know.

Do you really believe a SIP is the answer? If so, you're the perfect person to respond to my confusion about why so many on here WANT the government to shut down the state/city/country/etc. It's like you all believe that government is what will solve the virus conundrum. It's like you don't believe that you have the ability to stay home if that is what you think is best. You're waiting for some dude to tell you you have to stay home. That just blows my mind.
No. I want everyone to stay tf home. That way, we flatten the curve and get back to normalcy sooner.

You act like this is some constitutional crisis.

For most states, SIP simply means they can now enforce the 10-person rule more easily.

I'm in Virginia and we got the SIP a few days ago. It seems like about 85% of businesses are deemed essential now. Grocery stores, pharmacies, doctor's offices, banks (drive-thru), hardware stores, Big Box stores like Lowes and HD, etc.

And they are cracking down on just letting one (or two if medically required) people in places. You don't need to bring the whole family to Home Depot.

Reactions: scartiger
If Hanry does something like this, he should be ashamed. DHECs new case count the last few days have been clearing up back logs and we’re still doing pretty good. People act like the government is going to solve this. Use common sense and just chill out. No need to shut down areas that are doing fine.

Reactions: pttimmer

LOL it doesn’t do any good if a bunch of people don’t comply. There are too many people who are so ignorant that they think they know better.

No. I want everyone to stay tf home. That way, we flatten the curve and get back to normalcy sooner.

You act like this is some constitutional crisis.
You act like people will suddenly stay home bc there an order that they have to. I don’t believe people will listen.

Tread on me lol.

He left that to local governments at that time which I think was the right call. He’s got to consider the entire state, not just Atlanta (where I live) and other metros.

I 100% understand this argument and I agree with it to an extent. What’s best for the city of Atlanta is not what’s best for say, Dublin, GA. I get the economic impact a state wide order would’ve done back in early March.

So I actually think we’re somewhat in agreement, @sloanMB.

To @tallulahtiger30319 - again, I like Gov Kemp. My reasoning for him being reactive isn’t all on him but merely other states seemingly making announcements before him. Say, VA, MD, FL, and then GA. Not all on him. And then his townhall last week, he asked Mayor LB to hold off on her announcement. Perhaps I would feel different about the reactive piece if word hadn’t gotten out that she was about to make an announcement, but it did.

As for how to be more proactive, hindsight is always 20/20. But I know he met with the GA NG Commander 3/19. I believe some were activated beforehand in accordance with their Drill schedule. But proactive to me would’ve been meeting with such leaders beforehand. We also have some major corporations based out of GA, like the Kia plant, that’s not being 100% utilized. Maybe he did this - I don’t know - but I would’ve seen if there was a way to use that plant for PPE. Same with all the plants in Rome, etc... just my $0.02

Before I get called a Lib, I voted for Kemp and support him. And I think a lot of us are actually saying the same thing, but perhaps my choice of words were a little harsher

Does a Shelter In Place close Restaurants doing to go orders?

Depends on how strict on business as most other states have been very lenient on anything other than places where the public shop for non-essentials

Seriously? Here's the alternative...Marshal Law. I can promise you that you do NOT want it. Common sense tells you that working with authorities will end this sooner. Period. People want to say that their civil rights are being taken away. You haven't seen anything yet if Marshal Law is declared.

No, south Carolina. I just figure there's likely to be a domino effect.
Yeah you’re probably right. I think Kemp made his decision looking at the latest models and seeing that if the numbers are right Georgia will not have enough hospital beds to take care of people. He also reacted to the presidential task force meeting last night calling it a game changer-the data that people can be actively contagious without symptoms at all and just how transmissible this virus is. Seems like Drs. Fauci and Birx scared the crap out of Kemp and others.

Reactions: jeffcoat
This is exactly the culture they are trying to cultivate. You are helpless Mr Citizen and you have to have the government to tell you what is best and what you should do or you will certainly die. Sadly too many out there don't have sense enough to get out of the rain much less avoid a plague so this is the only way to keep them from being infected now.

:cool:
He dumb :cool:

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
This is exactly the culture they are trying to cultivate. You are helpless Mr Citizen and you have to have the government to tell you what is best and what you should do or you will certainly die. Sadly too many out there don't have sense enough to get out of the rain much less avoid a plague so this is the only way to keep them from being infected now.
I do understand that. There are gobs of sheep in America. But your response presupposes that these same idiots will abide by the SIP when up to now they’ve ignored all the other directions. I think I’m a nutshell that is my confusion.

Kemp had to make sure Easter services would be cancelled after 27 people in Dougherty County have died after attending a funeral

He left that to local governments at that time which I think was the right call. He’s got to consider the entire state, not just Atlanta (where I live) and other metros.

This. People within the limits of 285 (ITP) tend to forget there is an entire state outside of their little world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT