ADVERTISEMENT

"Thoughts and Prayers"

I’m a gun advocate, but I agree with this.

Maybe a good first step to take would be to make it much more difficult for these broken people to get guns?

I am as well and I agree with his statement as well. There are some systems in place to do just that almost everywhere in the United States yet we continually fail at it.

Reactions: CoffeeIsForClosers
I didn’t say ban, I said license. Have certain requirements to own guns. I know it won’t be perfect, but it’ll help.

I'm not in favor of anything that informs the government of who owns what. I am good with general background checks and that's it. There are so many things we can do that would limit this. A retired combat operative or a trained police officer on site would have stopped this from ever happening.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
No but how we act on a day-to-day basis is what helps to create or diffuse a climate like this. It isn't just today. It is every day.
I’m not sure how that has anything with what he said today….that’s what you waged an attack on. But I can plainly see you are too proud to budge. Have a great night.

The only reason I said that is because you politicized it immediately with your sarcastic “thoughts and prayers” subject line. Guns are not the problem but that is the talking point from people who politicize these tragedies. The underlying societal issues and massive mental health and family unit crisis are to blame. I don’t know how we fix it but it makes me sick that people immediately politicize these horrific acts
Fair criticism but I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Without even looking I knew there would be a group on here that would immediately start talking about mental health. There are things that could be done right now to make it harder for these things to keep happening but thoughts and prayers and talking about mental health aren't one of them.

Unbelievable that there are governors in this day and age that are making it easier to own and carry guns rather than harder. Start pushing back on them and I'll stop being sarcastic.

I'm not in favor of anything that informs the government of who owns what. I am good with general background checks and that's it. There are so many things we can do that would limit this. A retired combat operative or a trained police officer on site would have stopped this from ever happening.
There was a police officer onsite - as there was at the store in Buffalo. Didn't matter

Fair criticism but I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Without even looking I knew there would be a group on here that would immediately start talking about mental health. There are things that could be done right now to make it harder for these things to keep happening but thoughts and prayers and talking about mental health aren't one of them.

Unbelievable that there are governors in this day and age that are making it easier to own and carry guns rather than harder. Start pushing back on them and I'll stop being sarcastic.

I will hear you out. What could be done right now that would make it harder for these things to happen?

I don’t see the sense in your philosophy.

There was a police officer onsite - as there was at the store in Buffalo. Didn't matter

Also, there was not an armed officer on site according to the information I can find. I'm talking about a fully armed officer equipped in body armor ready to deal with issues outside the front door of the school.

I will hear you out. What could be done right now that would make it harder for these things to happen?
I'm not an expert on the subject but the below would be a start.

• Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check
  • Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets
  • Make gun trafficking a federal crime.

• Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check - OK!
  • Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets - Can't agree here
  • Make gun trafficking a federal crime. - OK!

Two out of three isn't bad, is it?

Also, there was not an armed officer on site according to the information I can find. I'm talking about a fully armed officer equipped in body armor ready to deal with issues outside the front door of the school.
I heard it on the radio as I was driving home from the gym tonight. Not sure if it's been confirmed.

I don’t see the sense in your philosophy.

Reasonable people can disagree. I can't understand the logic in thinking weapons are the problem here. Also, with the stuff I saw in Australia during Covid and what happened to people I know in Italy recently, I am not OK with a no weapons climate. And full disclosure, I do not own a weapon and have only fired a gun once when I was in 9th grade. So I am not a gun nut by any means whatsoever.

• Wow
Reactions: DW4_2016
Reasonable people can disagree. I can't understand the logic in thinking weapons are the problem here. Also, with the stuff I saw in Australia during Covid and what happened to people I know in Italy recently, I am not OK with a no weapons climate. And full disclosure, I do not own a weapon and have only fired a gun once when I was in 9th grade. So I am not a gun nut by any means whatsoever.
Weapon are a part of the problem, and they should be regulated anyhow due to the sheer power they wield.

No sarcasm, and no anger in what I’m about to say…

If you begin a thread by diminishing God, or someone’s faith in God, you’re not going to create an atmosphere of cooperation, or any type of open ear.

• Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets
I own an AR, and I’ll be the first to admit, it’s a bit much for and citizen to own. However, “high capacity magazines” is a vague term, and slippery slope.

No sarcasm, and no anger in what I’m about to say…

If you begin a thread by diminishing God, or someone’s faith in God, you’re not going to create an atmosphere of cooperation, or any type of open ear.
It was not a shot at religion or anyone's faith. Even though I may not share your views on the subject, I have no desire to diminish your beliefs. I was mocking an empty slogan.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1

I would have no problem with requiring background checks and and having to show some kind of proof you have had this done recently to buy a gun. Also no problem with making trafficking a federal crime. I don't think either would make much difference in homicides, though. That is the problem. Also, the vast, vast majority of gun homicides are from pistols. If you look at the number of homicides committed with whatever you consider to be "military style assault weapons" it is a tiny percentage.

Reactions: Allornothing
I’m a gun advocate, but I agree with this.
Since I always look at your posts when I see them..... tell me.
How?

Maybe the same way we keep drug lords and gangs from getting guns?

Add a question on the Firearms License form to 'check here' if you're crazy or about to do something really evil and stupid?

Trite as it sounds, guns don't kill people. People kill people.
As the famed guitarist once said, and I agree:

All my guns must be broken or stupid. They haven't killed anyone.
Do I have disfunctional guns? Right here in my home (safe)?

Emotions, emotions.
Calm down people. There are answers.

Protect the schools.

A "GUN FREE Zone" is a frigging INVITATION for idiots, imbeciles, imbalanced and fame seeking people.
Come.
No one will confront you.
Be bold.
Kill.... You're now famous!

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid.

Put Security with guns roaming every campus and allow Teachers to have guns if qualified.

Defend AGAINST what you cannot stop or wish away.

The guy was pleading that they do something. Anything more than nothing. He didn’t cry for gun control or mental health or drill baby drill…nothing he said was partisan other than when he reached out to GOP peers to please help them do something. Just thought it was interesting how you immediately began to attack him for it. That’s all.
Does this meet that standard? Always some political asswipe like him running to microphone to try and score political points from a tragedy. Have not heard him or anyone else offer one single idea that would have stopped any significant number of gun homicides.

I would have no problem with requiring background checks and and having to show some kind of proof you have had this done recently to buy a gun. Also no problem with making trafficking a federal crime. I don't think either would make much difference in homicides, though. That is the problem. Also, the vast, vast majority of gun homicides are from pistols. If you look at the number of homicides committed with whatever you consider to be "military style assault weapons" it is a tiny percentage.

i agree with you. these are half measures. And a majority of gun-related deaths are suicides. again, pistols.

so lets ban handguns.

or ban all guns.

we have to make it significantly harder to acquire a gun.

Since I always look at your posts when I see them..... tell me.
How?

Maybe the same way we keep drug lords and gangs from getting guns?

Add a question on the Firearms License form to 'check here' if you're crazy or about to do something really evil and stupid?

Trite as it sounds, guns don't kill people. People kill people.
As the famed guitarist once said, and I agree:

All my guns must be broken or stupid. They haven't killed anyone.
Do I have disfunctional guns? Right here in my home (safe)?

Emotions, emotions.
Calm down people. There are answers.

Protect the schools.

A "GUN FREE Zone" is a frigging INVITATION for idiots, imbeciles, imbalanced and fame seeking people.
Come.
No one will confront you.
Be bold.
Kill.... You're now famous!

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid.

Put Security with guns roaming every campus and allow Teachers to have guns if qualified.

Defend AGAINST what you cannot stop or wish away.
Difficult to argue with anything you just typed.

i agree with you. these are half measures. And a majority of gun-related deaths are suicides. again, pistols.

so lets ban handguns.

or ban all guns.

The notion of banning handguns, or “all guns”, will go nowhere.

I have a reasonable perspective when it comes to gun control. I also enjoy the .45 ACP close by in case of intruders in my home.

so lets ban handguns.

or ban all guns.

Well, those things are not constitutional, so that is not going to happen. That is mostly my point. There is really nothing I can think of from a legislative/law perspective that would make much impact at all. That is why it is so disingenuous when people from your party immediately run to the microphone to start laying blame at the feet of a party or organization.

• Wow
Reactions: DW4_2016
Well, those things are not constitutional, so that is not going to happen. That is mostly my point. There is really nothing I can think of from a legislative/law perspective that would make much impact at all. That is why it is so disingenuous when people from your party immediately run to the microphone to start laying blame at the feet of a party or organization.
There are many reasons...

211205124534-rep-thomas-massie-guns-family-photo.jpg
FGDYXgKXoAUSK7G
marjorie-taylor-greene.jpg

If the pictures out there of this shooter are indeed real, the elephant in the room isn’t about guns.
Are you going to say the quiet part out loud? You do realize there are tens of millions of Americans that don't look like you but are just as legal, right?

so lets ban handguns.

or ban all guns.

Idiotic take.

Criminals, gangs, even drunken idiots can get guns.

Wish you and your wisdom were here when 'we' decided on prohibition.

......oh? How did that go over.

Also, everyone is aware that you have to pass a background check to purchase a firearm, correct? If you want to argue private sales good luck. Not sure how you’re going to control that without outright making guns illegal

And good luck banning “high capacity” magazines. That will go nowhere

Bump stocks are now illegal, yet every gun owner I know owns one. None of the infringing laws you people want to pass are going to do anything to stop these things from happening.

So if you don’t want to tackle the underlying issues of these shootings, just stop with the charade and go ahead push for the outright banning of firearms

Reactions: clemsonalex
There are many reasons...

211205124534-rep-thomas-massie-guns-family-photo.jpg
FGDYXgKXoAUSK7G
marjorie-taylor-greene.jpg
This is exactly the bs rhetoric I was talking about. Thanks for proving my point!
How about name ONE reason instead of posting photos. It should be pretty easy if the are many, as you claim.

Did any of these people kill anyone? Have any of them or any republican voted against a law that would make any significant impact in gun homicides? If so, please tell me what the proposed law was. Don't post vague reference to gun legislation that pubs did not vote for. Give an example of a specific law, even if it is part of a larger legislation package, that would have a significant impact on gun homicides. I think you will find that iceheart is absolutely correct in that there is pretty much nothing other than banning all guns that make much difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: moradatiger70

Don't you have to pass a background check to buy a gun? I bought a new shotgun last year and you fill in the federal form, they process it, you wait a little bit, they eventually come out and say you can buy the gun. Background check passed.

I'm good with the gun trafficking thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT