ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you do your grocery shopping?

Fresh Market (closest) - $2.99 Tuesdays for beef & chicken, $3.99 lb of bacon with 2nd pound free on Saturday, alcohol, desserts
Trader Joes (second closest - but those ****ers don't even have tinfoil and ziplocks) for vegetables, fruit, cheese, kid's lunches, and alcohol
Aldi (which owns Trader Joes) for the best deal on canned goods, paper plates, pasta, rice, tinfoil, ziplocks, 2nd half of kid's lunches
Target - paper towels, Kodiak pancakes, toilet paper

Tuesdays at Fresh Market are unbeatable.

Reactions: WoooNattyChamps
There is no better shopping experience than going to an HEB in Texas. The quality, cleanliness, price, and local selection is incredible.

The Bi-Lo I'm referencing is not necessarily in a bad area and will only get nicer as it's an area a lot of people are moving into and has many super rich as well. The Pig before it was much better & nicer. It does not take much to keep a store clean & staffed, which is why I wondered if Bi-lo in itself was going under.

I thought Winn-Dixie was already gone. I have not seen a Winn-Dixie in about 20 years.
Yea Winn-Dixie left Columbia like 15-20 years ago but they are still real popular in Florida. But there was a reason they failed in South Carolina and it wasn't smart for bilo to implement their policies.
Bi-Lo is in trouble they have already cut out 1 managerial position in every store and 1 full time position in every store within the last year. They are talking about having to cut another one as well. Plus the stores have cut the number of hours they get to work with on the schedule. For example our store used to have 500 hours a week to schedule on the front end now only gets 400. So we have basically cut out a bagger and a cashier that we used to have everyday.

Yeah, you would know it better than any. Also trying to go "clean store" in Winn Dixies didn't help. Then the Australian guy came over and tried to squeeze all the manufacturers for $ would up backfiring bc a lot took their promotional dollars to other customers. It's been a tough run, but I hope you guys can bounce back. All this consolidation isn't good IMO.

They scaled back but still have a decent footprint, mainly in northern and central FL. The issue is that in some of their stores you can lay down in an aisle to take a nap and not get run over by a grocery cart bc all the shoppers are at Publix or WM.
Yea I hope so, but honestly I'm looking to get out of there pretty soon so hopefully it won't affect me anymore

Reactions: The Mixed Mamba
LOL that you got a "baby cart" for that many groceries...

Maybe it is just me but I feel like a man doesn't need a cart unless he is shopping for a family for a week. I usually end up with 20 things in my arms and fingers and if I can't pull it off, or it is more groceries than that... I go for the overloaded basket. After that it is a basket in each hand. Pushing around a grocery buggy just isn't my thing and it is a last resort. -Sort of like the unspoken rule that "a man must carry all the grocery bags in from the car in one trip." With a family of five sometimes I feel like I might not feel my finger tips for a week... but I am not going back to that car.

@Ron Munson, you seem to be the board expert on grocery store etiquette. Can I get a ruling here? Any rules for when and when not to use a buggy? We already know @amynhop has had grocery store issues...

As to the OP.. I try to never go but if I do... Publix or Harris Teeter. Wife likes Whole foods and Trader Joes as well.
You can use a cart whenever you want, as long as you return it to the proper location when finished.

LOL that you got a "baby cart" for that many groceries...

Maybe it is just me but I feel like a man doesn't need a cart unless he is shopping for a family for a week. I usually end up with 20 things in my arms and fingers and if I can't pull it off, or it is more groceries than that... I go for the overloaded basket. After that it is a basket in each hand. Pushing around a grocery buggy just isn't my thing and it is a last resort. -Sort of like the unspoken rule that "a man must carry all the grocery bags in from the car in one trip." With a family of five sometimes I feel like I might not feel my finger tips for a week... but I am not going back to that car.

@Ron Munson, you seem to be the board expert on grocery store etiquette. Can I get a ruling here? Any rules for when and when not to use a buggy? We already know @amynhop has had grocery store issues...

As to the OP.. I try to never go but if I do... Publix or Harris Teeter. Wife likes Whole foods and Trader Joes as well.

LOL wut? Sounds like you aren't confident enough in your manhood to use a shopping cart. I wink at every hottie as I'm pushing mine around with my 11 month old son sitting in the front.....

Reactions: WoooNattyChamps
You can use a cart whenever you want, as long as you return it to the proper location when finished.

I gotta disagree with that. I understand if you are elderly, handicapped or have other issues. But a grown/ healthy man pushing a cart around the grocery store with 5 or 10 things seems ridiculous to me. Now I understand women going with the cart... because their purse alone can weigh 30 pounds. -It amazes me what they can keep in those things!

I gotta disagree with that. I understand if you are elderly, handicapped or have other issues. But a grown/ healthy man pushing a cart around the grocery store with 5 or 10 things seems ridiculous to me. Now I understand women going with the cart... because their purse alone can weigh 30 pounds. -It amazes me what they can keep in those things!

Spot on with the heavy purse.

Mine has gotta weigh 25 plus pounds......

Reactions: CUarchgrad
LOL wut? Sounds like you aren't confident enough in your manhood to use a shopping cart. I wink at every hottie as I'm pushing mine around with my 11 month old son sitting in the front.....

I didn't say a kid. I've got three so I know that is a different thing! A shopping cart is a necessity in that situation. -Only way to keep those little guys corralled. What I am saying is if you run in for a handful of things alone you skip the cart. My natural thought is..." I can carry all that with no problem." usually I see other stuff and it becomes a game of how in the world will I carry this crap. Maybe it is because I rarely go since my wife is the grocery shopper. I don't know... but a cart for 10 items is stupid to me.

And.. when do you go with the basket?

Last edited:
@Ron Munson, is it prudent shopping to buy produce/meat at one store and non-perishables at another? Or is that too much penny pinching?

I need a ruling.

Yea Winn-Dixie left Columbia like 15-20 years ago but they are still real popular in Florida. But there was a reason they failed in South Carolina and it wasn't smart for bilo to implement their policies.
Bi-Lo is in trouble they have already cut out 1 managerial position in every store and 1 full time position in every store within the last year. They are talking about having to cut another one as well. Plus the stores have cut the number of hours they get to work with on the schedule. For example our store used to have 500 hours a week to schedule on the front end now only gets 400. So we have basically cut out a bagger and a cashier that we used to have everyday.
What market are you in? I used to do most of my shopping at the Bi-Lo at Verdae in Greenville because it was newer and usually pretty clean. I've seen it go downhill big time in the past 6 months. You never see a manager in there anymore. One of the draws for me to buy all my non-perishable foods/paper products/beer & wine from there was Fuel Perks. I don't think this Plenti card is going to do it for me. Bad idea on their part.

@Ron Munson, is it prudent shopping to buy produce/meat at one store and non-perishables at another? Or is that too much penny pinching?

I need a ruling.

If you have the time.... it's very prudent and will definitely save you money.

Walmart is much cheaper for canned goods, chips, etc. However, the opposite of Publix, where shopping is a pleasure. Walmart- where shopping makes your blood pressure rise. ( esp when you attempt checkout with 50 registers, 2 of which are open, even at Christmas, with 40 people in line. )

What market are you in? I used to do most of my shopping at the Bi-Lo at Verdae in Greenville because it was newer and usually pretty clean. I've seen it go downhill big time in the past 6 months. You never see a manager in there anymore. One of the draws for me to buy all my non-perishable foods/paper products/beer & wine from there was Fuel Perks. I don't think this Plenti card is going to do it for me. Bad idea on their part.
I agree you see our managers all the time because we dont have enough employees. But I completely agree with you about Plenti and I'm in Columbia, but I'm planning on being with a different company within the next 2 months

Since @Ron Munson must actually be working today.. these are my thoughts...

0-10 items - hands/arms (depending on item size)
5-15 Items: 1 basket
10-30 items: - 2 baskets
"Baby cart"/ "Old lady cart": Really never acceptable. Either get a freaking basket (or two) or you need a large cart.
Large Cart: 1. large amounts of groceries. 2.when kids are involved 3.when you are elderly, female, or handicapped. 4. When you want to "lean and hike up your leg" and check out the ladies (@ARWtiger)
Motorized Scooter: You better be in cast, handicapped, or seventy years old. Being 300 pounds doesn't count b/c walking might do you some good.

Bi-Lo since it is 1.4 miles from my home. Removing the bonus card with the fuel perks for Plenti is a big mistake for Bi-Lo. Across the street a Wal-Mart market place opened several months ago. They've taken a decent portion away from Bi-Lo. Bi-Lo is on borrowed time. I like the store, the manager, and associates. They are a great group of people that are friendly and go the extra mile for their customers. I hope Bi-lo does something different that makes a difference verses the poor choices they've made over the years.

Reactions: kingkyle1008
You work for Bilo?

The worst thing at the grocery store is the dingbat baggers who don't know how to
Properly bag groceries....even if you separate it into the correct groups.....if I can get to the bags before a bagger is there I just run them off and do it myself....

Reactions: tigers4381
Don't get me wrong, BSC is a great pop tart. But smores are much better. BSC is just convenient because it isn't sticky with frosting and is so much more common.

BSC is a better everyday pop tart, but Smores is better for every now and then. JMO. Not sure how to explain it

I'd probably agree with this. Smores can be heavy as hell so I imagine eating it daily would get pretty old, but holy hell it is heaven when you have them every once in a while.
Very well put by the both of you. BSC is a staple, but when all the stars align on that perfect day, it's tough to beat out the smores tart.....specifically after being heated for 8-10 seconds in the microwave.

Since @Ron Munson must actually be working today.. these are my thoughts...

0-10 items - hands/arms (depending on item size)
5-15 Items: 1 basket
10-30 items: - 2 baskets
"Baby cart"/ "Old lady cart": Really never acceptable. Either get a freaking basket (or two) or you need a large cart.
Large Cart: 1. large amounts of groceries. 2.when kids are involved 3.when you are elderly, female, or handicapped. 4. When you want to "lean and hike up your leg" and check out the ladies (@ARWtiger)
Motorized Scooter: You better be in cast, handicapped, or seventy years old. Being 300 pounds doesn't count b/c walking might do you some good.
I'm not going to carry two baskets around.. I wouldnt be able to post on facebook what i was buying if did. Those baby carts were made for single guys. I hate pushing full size carts around.

I agree you see our managers all the time because we dont have enough employees. But I completely agree with you about Plenti and I'm in Columbia, but I'm planning on being with a different company within the next 2 months
Good luck with your job search. Hopefully, you land with a much better company.

-Teeter mainly (5 in Mt. P), Trader Joes, and Whole Foods (especially for fruit...best apples available). I have been to the new Aldis here and will go again.

Yes have for a while now
I worked for Johnson Plumbing for 23 years remodeling Bi-lo stores in every state they were in. On the later years installed those vacuum systems for the condensation drains in the cases. We done alot of maintenance work on the stores and warehouse.

I worked for Johnson Plumbing for 23 years remodeling Bi-lo stores in every state they were in. On the later years installed those vacuum systems for the condensation drains in the cases. We done alot of maintenance work on the stores and warehouse.
Oh I'm sure you have there is always a lot of maintenance work that goes on in a grocery store

Reactions: scartiger
Anybody here buy Red Delicious Apples?

If so what is wrong with you. More like Red Disgusting.

Possibly the most egotistical thing I've read in a long time.

Walk through a Harris Teeter in a higher end of town, which most are, and walk through any Walmart and tell me the demographic isn't completely different. I just don't associate with rednecks.

Walk through a Harris Teeter in a higher end of town, which most are, and walk through any Walmart and tell me the demographic isn't completely different. I just don't associate with rednecks.
Nobody said you have to talk to them.

I just go to the self-checkout machine and set it to talk to me in Spanish and nobody comes up to me

If it's not Publix, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, or Whole Foods I'm not going. Ingles, Bilo, and Walmart has too many poor white trash types. I'd rather be around people that have standards. You're in college though OP, so you have a pass until you're at least late 20's.
@ForzaTigre - you do realize alot of towns in S.C. don't have your demands for Grocery Store chains. Unless you want to drive an hour or so each way. Maybe one day I can be up to your standards.

We're organic honeycrisp people apparently (wife's choice). Don't think I've tried braeburns.

I think they have a little more flavor than honeycrisps. Not as tart as fujis. Fresh organic honeycrisps are tough to beat though. I usually go with either depending on which look the freshest. Give them a try

Braeburns, Honeycrisp, Fujis, in that order
I planted 2 Fuji's and 3 honeycrisp trees about 5 years ago. Have alot of young fruit this year finally but the problem is keeping the damn squirrels off them. Time to thin the herd this weekend because the prices per lb for Honeycrisp is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT