ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you do your grocery shopping?

I've never understood why Walmart has 400 checkout lanes and only 4 of them open.
Most asinine thing ever. Half of the front of store is checkout lanes and they will 4 with 20+ ppl in each. I swear Wal Mart has to be the worst store in the world. Screw the prices. I will pay more to not even step foot in that place. Although it is good for a self esteem boost.

I own a small grocery/market, so mostly I shop there. Otherwise, WH or HT. I get down on Ingles if we're talking the new ones located around Asheville (hometown) they have pretty legit beer selections.

I know I am late to this thread, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, since like my wife mentioned I don't work FOR Kroger, but am sort of like a contractor for them that helps write their store planograms (the plan that shows where items go on the shelf and within the store).

Part of the reason Kroger is so good is that they target their existing customers rather than spending a lot of time trying to gain new ones. The saying I have heard is, it costs you as much to keep a loyal shopper as it does to bring in 10 new shoppers... and at the end of the day, the loyal shopper is more likely to spend more than the 10 new shoppers combined over their purchasing life.

With Harris Teeter, Kroger has no interest in going in there and turning them into Kroger stores. They have a model that works, so Kroger is trying to learn what they can from them while also realizing cost savings through streamlining their operations with the rest of the Kroger operations in the South.

I have also heard that Kroger considers Wegman's a "special competitor", which is part of the reason they have not entered the Northeast market. The cynic in me says it is because of the strong union presence in the NE, which makes it difficult for Kroger to stay competitive on prices in union markets with Walmart.

Kroger is suffering from the deflation problems that are plaguing the entire industry, but are better equipped to weather it than most. Though to combat it internally, they just went through a round of early retirement and position elimination at their main offices and regionally. They just failed to increase their same store sales growth for the 51st quarter in a row... so for 12 years they had a pretty strong track record and are scrambling to get back to it.

This is a personal topic to me, so sorry for the novel. But yeah, Kroger is where it's at... unless you live where one isn't. But never Walmart. Never.

--Mr. DT

Reactions: kingkyle1008
Usually Kroger, cheaper here. Only other one around is Publix, which I'll go to for meats.

Walmart has Paqui Ghost Pepper chips, which is the only reason I ever go.

Parents sent me some money so I could feed myself and I took a little trip to Walmart

86675810-22C3-4C8C-856D-5EC79E22D343_zps1btpcbgp.jpg
Safeway or Fresh Market, occasionally Harris Teeter.

Just tried a Cosmic Crisp. They make Honeycrisps taste like Red Delicious.

The hype is real.

Reactions: gableboy
I’ll say this. I can be in the best mood ever and by the time I walk out of Walmart I’m irritated and sometimes just pissed off. Workers suck. Whole dadgum store just sucks. My father n law says there’s a fat ugly cloud always hovering over that place. I shopped there for years because it was cheaper. I can be in a not so great mood and by the time I walk out of Publix I’m smiling. Best employees ever! Very efficient. The bogo deals are great. I also hit Costco a couple of times a month. Great meat and produce. I will say Publix steaks and meat are less to be desired. I go to the fresh market when their beef tenderloin goes on sale. $100 for 10/11 filets. Those steaks are incredible. I’ll pay more not to go to Walmart. Not because I’m to good to go there it’s just because I hate literally everything about that place.

Every time i drive by a Bi-Lo, I can't help but say out loud, "Why Bi-Hi, when you can Bi-Lo" in a gay voice. I actually like bi-lo, but thankfully I don't live near any at the moment because i would probably talk in gay voice all the time. As for where i shop, usually the Teeter

ok you got my funny bone there. That was good stuff

Kroger only because it's the closest store to me. Every extra mile equates to 10 more minutes in the car (each way) with the current traffic situation here in ATL.

dude when i lived in Vinings the corner of Paces and Cumberland, Life Expectancy is measured in +10 minute blocks of time subtracted from your life every 1/16 mile of crawl. And then there is the not so secret back door up the hill, nope. That freaking train is 20-30x a day. Clogs the 2 way street to its knees almost all the way back to Cobb. And then then super secret back door thru the China boxcar joint. Yep, closed that shit down too. Fvckers. I used that hack for years until the meddling owners figured it out ScoobyDoo but whatever

And nonetheless, I am out of ATL. However, I will promise to always bitch and moan about ATL forever. People need to know these things.

these days my stress is measured by going to Publix in less than 2 minutes. The closer I get to 1 minute is an extra hour added to my life. The same math in ANYWHERE ATL will literally suck the life credits out of you. I am still in replenishment mode here in the safety of the Clemson Highlands.

Come at me ATL Apologist Bro, You will not win

Reactions: gooddogjudge
Teeter, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Lowes Foods. We did just get a Greenwise Market but I have not been

Lidl, Aldi, Publix, BiLo, Lowe’s Foods, WalMart.
Depending on where I am and what I want. Lidl, Aldi, and WalMart basically give eggs away and I eat a lot on my diet.

Lol at the vaseline in the cart.

Whole Foods and Harris Teeter mostly. Wife goes to Trader Joes occasionally.

We've started ordering Shipt groceries from WF (delivery). They just started operating at Publix, so we might try that for mainstream groceries as well.

Wait, what? I’ve never heard of this before. Nice tip!

I go to Kroger for most of the groceries. If its a sunday afternoon I go to Publix to ogle the MILFs in yoga pants.

Speaking of BOGO's, Harris Teeter is the worst about jacking the price up to double the normal price and then advertising BOGO like you are getting a deal. I know others do that, but they are the worst. Nice store but screw them for it. I will go to Publix 100 times out of 100 over Harris Teeter.

ADVERTISEMENT