ADVERTISEMENT

Why Bernie Rules:)

It's really easy for people from a position of privilege to tell those of lower socioeconomic statuses how "simple" it is to improve their lives. It's virtually never that easy. But you're clearly set on a specific mindset (as am I) so I'd rather not argue it any longer.
"Position of privilege"? More like a position earned through hard work, tough choices, and sacrifice. Something those pure, well-meaning, downtrodden poor-through-no-fault-of-their-own, and possibly even you, know little about. Their life of poor choices and slothfulness -- whether laziness in high school studies, to knocking up some mid-teen bimbo by the the time they were 18, to dropping out in favor of a GED, to lack of application of themselves in college, to poor choice in majors, etc. -- is their burden, and their own fault. They chose that path. Our responsibility is not to do for them what they never had the aptitude or work ethic to do for themselves. If they want a livable wage, they can earn it the same way as the rest of us. But don't complain to us how you can't support your family by flipping burgers at McDonald's.

"Position of privilege"? More like a position earned through hard work, tough choices, and sacrifice. Something those pure, well-meaning, downtrodden poor-through-no-fault-of-their-own, and possibly even you, know little about. Their life of poor choices and slothfulness -- whether laziness in high school studies, to knocking up some mid-teen bimbo by the the time they were 18, to dropping out in favor of a GED, to lack of application of themselves in college, to poor choice in majors, etc. -- is their burden, and their own fault. They chose that path. Our responsibility is not to do for them what they never had the aptitude or work ethic to do for themselves. If they want a livable wage, they can earn it the same way as the rest of us. But don't complain to us how you can't support your family by flipping burgers at McDonald's.

this! poor people are lazy and stupid and they need to stop knocking up "bimbos" (because anyone who gets pregnant at 18 is a bimbo). poor people are just choosing to be poor because its awesome being poor.

be interestng to see what the true value of a days labor would be without government influence.

also be interesting to see what the cost of a doctors visit would be?

what about the cost of gasoline? or even our fresh produce, like corn?

how would a free market look 250 years later?

This is why I've been an advocate of universal basic income. Eliminates minimum wage, allows for volunteer services, eliminates government overhead, cuts on spending while providing a living wage for the poorest and keeps incentives for those who wish to generate more wealth.

And yet you're doing just that...

There are thousands of stories where prople of "privilege" don't take advantage of their opportunities and countless more stories of people growing up in poverty pulling themselves out.

I'm tired of the "It's the system's fault." excuse. It's literally crippling young people when you have leaders of this country saying they are the victim.

It's clear you don't have a very good grasp of the whole privilege concept. It's not a matter of "taking advantage" or exploiting the built-in advantages; they're inherent. They exist whether the person wants them or not.

It's clear you don't have a very good grasp of the whole privilege concept. It's not a matter of "taking advantage" or exploiting the built-in advantages; they're inherent. They exist whether the person wants them or not.

you are wasting your time imo. most of the people who have posted ITT agree with @marathontiger1, and we are right! poor people are all lazy and stupid. Inherent advantages? You must be a BLM activist!

makes no sense right? if you take a job at mickey d's learn to enjoy it, take advantage of the opportunity, learn from it, grow, and stick with the company or move onto a better situation.

What advantages do I have that you don't? Explain your position.

Probably best explained by the tampon tax. Because men don't have periods and are by nature "privileged" in this way, there is actual legislation being written in some states to remove the sales tax from tampons and other female related products. It's a form of inequality.

Bernie is beginning to sound good to me. Just finished my taxes and it remains quite clear I put too much time and effort into living the American Dream.

It's time for me to enjoy entitlement. Free education, free medical and a minimum $30k starting salary. What's there not to like?

Oh, yeah, all of y'all will need to work harder and contribute more to my happiness. I deserve it.

McDonalds is an entry position. If you're staying there for a career, you have seriously low expectations of yourself and seriously high expectations you'll be taken care of. The human spirit aspires for more than flipping burger and changing fries. Why don't people get this? It is not a career and if you work there, you should have another job... one with a damn future!
I would say that if you choose to work at McDonald's have the vision and work ethic to want to be a manager. I am not sure what a manager makes but I would think they make a good bit over minimum wage. Like @nmerritt11 said. Go to work on time. Work hard. Take pride in whatever you are doing. Aspire to move up the ladder. But always have your ear to the ground for a better job with the options of moving up.

Reactions: nmerritt11
Probably best explained by the tampon tax. Because men don't have periods and are by nature "privileged" in this way, there is actual legislation being written in some states to remove the sales tax from tampons and other female related products. It's a form of inequality.
Okey dokey

I know people in the trucking industry...being a truck driver may not be the most prestigious job but it can be lucrative. I know the owner of one company and deal with several others in our business..and they all state they cannot find people that #1 are willing to do the work #2 can pass a drug test and maintain drug free long enough to be employed.

There are opportunities out there is people want to invest in themselves. I don't like excuses like "the world is against me"

My dad worked 2 jobs for some of my early childhood and now has a successful business. He came from the mill village and worked his way up with no degree.

There is an entitlement problem in society
My Uncle was an owner operator on a truck and he made bank. Now he blew his money on women and drugs but damn he rolled it in. He quit school in the 11th grade. Was smart as hell. Could fix or build any damn thing in the world. Drove 18 wheelers and loved it. Of course the drugs he did in the 80s and 90s helped him make an ass load of money. Of course he had to learn to doctor his log book lol.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was speaking about myself. If I used the first person at any point, then I apologize. You and I have a higher degree of privilege than those living or born into poverty. That's what I'm saying. In our capacity as white males from well-to-do families (at least in my case; I'm assuming that you grew up at least middle class but my apologies if that's incorrect) we had/have certain advantages that others were not exposed to. It doesn't mean that you or I exploited that privilege or did something menacing to gain it. They were innate. They were there from the time we were born. And because of it, we had a head-start in life that's not available to others. That's pretty much undeniable. By at least acknowledging the privilege and built-in advantages, we allow the inequality to be amplified and heard on a larger scale, hopefully diminishing the gap over time.

Reactions: iceheart08
These guys also "ruled"! literally
220px-Mao_Zedong_portrait.jpg
220px-Lenin.jpg
220px-Stalin_Joseph.jpg
250px-Fidel_Castro_-_MATS_Terminal_Washington_1959.jpg

Not sure why some people make fun of McDonalds or their workers. If you want to and work hard you can move up. They offer benefits where many employers don't. You may start out flipping burgers but it seems to be a company where you have an opportunity to go into management and move up the ladder.

They also seem to be doing pretty good. They were terrible 20 years ago and revamped many of their restaurants & employees.

They also make cheap & good ice tea, which is my go to product of McDs on a hot humid day.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was speaking about myself. If I used the first person at any point, then I apologize. You and I have a higher degree of privilege than those living or born into poverty. That's what I'm saying. In our capacity as white males from well-to-do families (at least in my case; I'm assuming that you grew up at least middle class but my apologies if that's incorrect) we had/have certain advantages that others were not exposed to. It doesn't mean that you or I exploited that privilege or did something menacing to gain it. They were innate. They were there from the time we were born. And because of it, we had a head-start in life that's not available to others. That's pretty much undeniable. By at least acknowledging the privilege and built-in advantages, we allow the inequality to be amplified and heard on a larger scale, hopefully diminishing the gap over time.
I'm looking for specifics...what exactly do we white guys have that's advantageous to others?

How does acknowledging the inequality help diminish the gap? I think those that feel some type of guilt over their station in life should pay more than is required on April 15th. If you really feel this way, then there is no law that you can't pay more than what you owe. Just saying.

I would say that if you choose to work at McDonald's have the vision and work ethic to want to be a manager. I am not sure what a manager makes but I would think they make a good bit over minimum wage. Like @nmerritt11 said. Go to work on time. Work hard. Take pride in whatever you are doing. Aspire to move up the ladder. But always have your ear to the ground for a better job with the options of moving up.

Most fast food general managers make between 45k-50k a year. Move into a regional position...make more. So even if you are working at a fast food restaurant or even a chain like Chili's in the kitchen etc. Do a good job and there are advancement opportunities.

I'm looking for specifics...what exactly do we white guys have that's advantageous to others?

I'm skeptical that you'll ever be swayed, since this seems like such an obvious assertion. But how 'bout you start with these (I'll attach both the links and pull out the key excerpts):

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/capideas/spring03/racialbias.html

"Job applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called in for an interview."

https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/news/2170-new-study-by-professor-david-s-abrams-confirms#.VwAIoxIrLwd

"Black defendants are at least 30 percent more likely to be imprisoned than white defendants for the same crime."

Remember a lot of the controversy with Donald Sterling?

https://www.propublica.org/getinvolved/item/have-you-experienced-housing-discrimination

"The National Fair Housing Alliance reports that as many as 4 million African-Americans and Latinos experience housing discrimination each year."

Should I go on? Or does that satisfy?

Reactions: iceheart08
How does acknowledging the inequality help diminish the gap? I think those that feel some type of guilt over their station in life should pay more than is required on April 15th. If you really feel this way, then there is no law that you can't pay more than what you owe. Just saying.

Ummm aren't your beloved GOP nominees proposing tax cuts for the top earners in the country, which would only widen the inequality gap? Isn't that something that people on the left (me) are opposed to?

And by acknowledging the gap, white people, in their inherently higher-status positions, have a loftier platform by which they can speak about and help to diminish the gap. The first step IS acknowledging it though, which many on here (and around the country) are unwilling to do. Once that happens (if ever), then we can discuss more tangible solutions for fixing it. To deny it outright though is completely asinine.

So we should coddle them and tell them the system is against them and that they're a victim? How will that help them get through life? Life isn't fair...shit man it down right sucks sometimes. But you play the hand that's dealt and move forward.

"If you are taught bitterness and anger, then you will believe you are a victim. You will feel aggrieved and the twin brother of aggrievement is entitlement. So now you think you are owed
something and you don’t have to work for it and now you’re on a really bad
road to nowhere because there are people who will play to that sense of
victimhood, aggrievement and entitlement, and you still won’t have a job." - Condoleezza Rice

So we should coddle them and tell them the system is against them and that they're a victim? How will that help them get through life? Life isn't fair...shit man it down right sucks sometimes. But you play the hand that's dealt and move forward.

"If you are taught bitterness and anger, then you will believe you are a victim. You will feel aggrieved and the twin brother of aggrievement is entitlement. So now you think you are owed
victimhood, aggrievement and entitlement, and you still won’t have a job." - Condoleezza Rice

So is that a "yes you were right. White guys do have more advantages than others." I mean shit dude, at least admit you were wrong.

Lol where in the hell did I argue this? How about we just start with admitting that inequalities exist and maybe, just maybe, we could do something to help those less fortunate than us and strengthen their ability to succeed in life?

So is that a "yes you were right. White guys do have more advantages than others." I mean shit dude, at least admit you were wrong.
No, I don't believe I have an advantage over anyone else. It's all about work ethic and the will to succeed.

If someone went into an interview dressed like a bum but had the same qualifications as another person who dressed professionally, who do you think would get the job? Is much of above that you cited based on individual bias and perception rather than some built-in privilege?

Lol where in the hell did I argue this? How about we just start with admitting that inequalities exist and maybe, just maybe, we could do something to help those less fortunate than us and strengthen their ability to succeed in life?
Do you not see you're arguing just that? You are telling the downtrodden and poor that they're are victims of some built-in advantages that simply because of your skin color you are screwed. By creating a victim mentality you're essentially handicapping them.

And inequalities exist all throughout life. Michael Jordan has a skill set that I don't and he profited immensely from it. Good for him! I'm not yelling how unfair that is.

Do you not see you're arguing just that? You are telling the downtrodden and poor that they're are victims of some built-in advantages that simply because of your skin color you are screwed. By creating a victim mentality you're essentially handicapping them.

And inequalities exist all throughout life. Michael Jordan has a skill set that I don't and he profited immensely from it. Good for him! I'm not yelling how unfair that is.

Barrack Obama-Democrat POTUS

Reactions: SWUtigers
No, I don't believe I have an advantage over anyone else. It's all about work ethic and the will to succeed.

If someone went into an interview dressed like a bum but had the same qualifications as another person who dressed professionally, who do you think would get the job? Is much of above that you cited based on individual bias and perception rather than some built-in privilege?

welp. as I suspected, you were clearly not interested in learning about something through the use of empirical data. one of the very studies cited above had literally nothing to do with an interview process--this is before someone's even been called in for a person-to-person meet. do I really need to post the stat again? are you this dense?

"Job applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called in for an interview."

this is an overwhelmingly stupid comparison. I think that's probably enough internet for me today.

this! poor people are lazy and stupid and they need to stop knocking up "bimbos" (because anyone who gets pregnant at 18 is a bimbo). poor people are just choosing to be poor because its awesome being poor.
I suspect you've been educated beyond your intelligence. Whether they "chose to be poor" isn't really the issue. Rather, their life choices have resulted in their station in life. It's very easy to sit around and blame "life" or outside forces for where you are. Certainly makes it easier to demand somebody else take care of you and give you what "life" has denied you. None of this means they're bad people, nor does it mean they're stupid -- you called them that, not me.

I suspect you've been educated beyond your intelligence. Whether they "chose to be poor" isn't really the issue. Rather, their life choices have resulted in their station in life. It's very easy to sit around and blame "life" or outside forces for where you are. Certainly makes it easier to demand somebody else take care of you and give you what "life" has denied you. None of this means they're bad people, nor does it mean they're stupid -- you called them that, not me.

i agree with your first post, they make bad decisions ALL THE TIME (like knocking up bimbos) and they are slothfull! imo, we should deport all the poors.

Ummm aren't your beloved GOP nominees proposing tax cuts for the top earners in the country, which would only widen the inequality gap? Isn't that something that people on the left (me) are opposed to?

And by acknowledging the gap, white people, in their inherently higher-status positions, have a loftier platform by which they can speak about and help to diminish the gap. The first step IS acknowledging it though, which many on here (and around the country) are unwilling to do. Once that happens (if ever), then we can discuss more tangible solutions for fixing it. To deny it outright though is completely asinine.

I think I see what you're saying. Sort of like people not be able to acknowledge the term "radical Islamic terrorists" and the belief that you have to first be able to identify your enemy before you can understand the enemy and then defeat them.

I still don't understand why those of higher enlightenment, don't just set the example by donating more of their money to the government.

Reactions: m_l_murphy
France: Exodus of 10,000 millionaires amid rising Muslim tensions
eiffel-tower-paris-france.jpg

Rising tensions in France, especially in Paris following a series of Islamist terrorist attacks in 2015, have spurred an exodus of its super-wealthy citizens, a new report on migration trends of millionaires and high-net worth individuals across the world reveals. The report warns that other European countries, including the UK, Belgium, Germany and Sweden "where religious tensions are starting to emerge", will also see similar trends.

Regarding a Brexit, the report suggests millionaires would want to stay in Britain even if it leaves the single currency bloc.

The report was compiled by New World Wealth, an agency that gives information on the global wealth sector. The report was based on data collected from investor visa programme statistics of each country; annual interviews with around 800 global high net worth individuals and with intermediaries like migration experts, second citizenship platforms, wealth managers and property agents; data from property registers and property sales statistics in each country; and by tracking millionaire movements in the media.

Millionaire outflow
According to the report, Millionaire migration in 2015, France topped the list of countries with maximum millionaire outflows as it lost 10,000 millionaires, or 3% of its millionaire population. Among the cities that saw maximum millionaire outflow, Paris, was at the top – losing about 6% of its millionaire population or 7,000 millionaires in 2015 to the UK, the US, Canada, Australia and Israel.

"The large outflow of millionaires from France is notable – France is being heavily impacted by rising religious tensions between Christians and Muslims, especially in urban areas. We expect that millionaire migration away from France will accelerate over the next decade as these tensions escalate," the report warns.

After France, the list of countries ranked by millionaire outflows includes China ranked second, followed by Italy, India, Greece, the Russian Federation, Spain and Brazil in descending order.

Millionaire inflow
As for inflows, Australia was the favourite destination with maximum inflows in 2015 – a total of 8,000 new millionaires. The US was ranked second with 7,000 inflows, followed by Canada, Israel, the UAE and New Zealand.

Australian cities Sydney, Melbourne and Perth saw a significant millionaire inflowin 2015 from China, Europe, the UK, the US and South Africa, with Sydney topping the chart with 4,000 new millionaires or 4% added to its existing millionaire population, according to the report. Melbourne and Perth had 3,000 and 1,000 new millionaires in 2015, respectively. Tel Aviv, Dubai, San Francisco, Vancouver and Seattle also featured among the top eight cities with millionaire inflows.

Brexit impact on millionaire migration
The New Wealth World survey found that the UK leaving the EU will not lead to an outflow of millionaires. Rather, they will remain in the country because a Brexit would likely result in re-introduction of two-year working visas for citizens from Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and inclusion of the US in the list; stronger alliances with countries like Australia, the US, Canada and New Zealand, India and China; and weaker alliances with EU countries, Turkey and the Middle East.

The report highlights a trend that saw many UK-born wealthy people relocating their bases to other English-speaking nations like Australia, US, Canada and New Zealand. "This may be a trend that continues in future as several wealthy UK-born people that we spoke to said they were concerned about the way London and the UK in general had changed over the past decade or so. Australia seems to be their preferred destination," the report says. In 2015, London saw an inflow of 3,000, but an outflow of 2,500 millionaires, who moved to small towns in other parts of England or other English speaking countries.

this is an overwhelmingly stupid comparison. I think that's probably enough internet for me today.
Your white guilt getting the best of you already? Don't run to your safe space just yet...

Ok...suppose I agree with you that there's an inherent advantage for white people. What's your solution? Or have you even thought passed your talking point yet?

intended for high school kids honestly. Hell Chick Fil a has positions where high school kids make $15 an hour if they do their job and earn their way up

Raise the minimum wage and expect to order from a machine at fast food restaurants. Technology will take jobs. For example...this week I checked in the night before at my hotel, I got a text when room was ready, walked into my hotel, clicked on my app and opened my digital key, walked up to my room, clicked the unlock and walked in. Never even talked to anyone at the front desk my entire stay.

$15 an hour is not the answer. It will just handcuff companies forcing them to either invest in more technology solution for long term gains or working people to death because they cannot afford to pay enough to properly staff the operation

Person wants a better job and want to make a good income...work your way up the ladder. Show up on time, have a good attitude, work your butt off, don't complain, don't cause drama, take pride in your personal appearance, talk like an adult with proper complete sentences, and take pride in what you do. Stop making excuses and stop having a hand out feeling entitled mentality. What is funny is the democratic party was responsible for slavery and that is exactly what they want you to be. Now it is just a slave to the government. They want you to be reliant on their programs. Most of them are exactly who they want poor people to hate especially Hillary Clinton. The republican party was founded on freedom...amazing how that is lost these days. $15 minimum wage is not all of the sudden going to motivate someone to work harder or learn how to manage their money and live a better life

Now neither party is what it used to be but they still have their foundations.
Absolutely could not be said better. $15 minimum wage is a ridiculous notion. How about the machine operator who learned a trade to make $15 an hour. You completely devalued his efforts and education. If for some reason this crap is enacted I am buying major stock in tech companies

welp. as I suspected, you were clearly not interested in learning about something through the use of empirical data. one of the very studies cited above had literally nothing to do with an interview process--this is before someone's even been called in for a person-to-person meet. do I really need to post the stat again? are you this dense?

So if minorities want to give their kid privilege all they have to do is name them something that sounds white?

Reactions: Dackel
There are obviously exceptions in every walk of life. Your success in the face of adversity is truly impressive and commendable. Ben Carson, though I despise his politics, is another fantastic example of working your way out of a seemingly unthinkable position of poverty and personal tragedy. My problem is that the majority of these "personality responsibility" people I come across grew up with a tremendous amount of privilege (that they often refuse to acknowledge as a foundation of their success) and then they set these crazy-high standards for how poor people should behave and work that they themselves couldn't come close to meeting if in the same position. I mean, for christs sake, half the people arguing in this thread spend seemingly half their "work" day on a college football message board--not that i'm faulting them for that cause I'm guilty of doing it a lot, too. There just seems to be this strange double standard.

That was a bit of a tangent so I guess my main point is this: Inequality is certainly just a part of life, but that doesn't mean the enormous gap that this country currently endures can't be lessened or improved.

I'm curious, are we not doing enough to give privilege to those that don't have any? If not, what else can be done? And since the gap in this country needs to be lessened or improved, do you think it would be fair to take away privilege from those that have it?

As i have stated i grew up around people you are talking about. The large majority are dumb as bricks and about half are too lazy to scratch their ass if it was itching. I do know a few that are not very smart but will work like a dog from sunup to sundown to take care of their family. They usually dont bitch or ask for handouts though

As far as bimbos go, if you are a female that has 3 or more kids and 3 or more fathers you and the fathers should have been castrated. Its not all their fault though. we now live in a society that applauds sleeping with anything that moves, rich or poor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT