ADVERTISEMENT

Child molested at NewSpring

Hate to say it, but churches need to follow the "two-deep leadership" program employed by the BSA. Either have two adults with one child or two (or more) children under the care of one adult.

There should be no one-on-one contact with minors, unless the minor is the child of the adult.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but churches need to follow the "two-deep leadership" program employed by the BSA. Either have two adults with one child or two (or more) children under the care of one adult.

There should be no one-on-one contact with minors, unless the minor is the child of the adult.

Having worked in the industry of protecting children for a while...you are 100% correct. This is the absolute best way to protect children (and staff, by the way).

NO ONE-ON-ONE CONTACT EVER, EVER, EVER.

Why would you hate to say it? Organized religion has been destroying children's lives since it's inception. Any type of org that deals with small children should always have safeguards in place to avoid one of the worst crimes on the planet: the theft and destruction of a child's innocence.

What a disgusting human being. That’s not even my kid, heck I don’t even have kids yet, and I’d love to punch that guy square in the face a couple times. Infuriates me to see there are people out there who take advantage of children.

oO4Lzh.gif

Having worked in the industry of protecting children for a while...you are 100% correct. This is the absolute best way to protect children (and staff, by the way).

NO ONE-ON-ONE CONTACT EVER, EVER, EVER.
Yeap. We do a safe sanctuary update every year. Members are ran through background checks and we have a seminar on keeping our sanctuary safe. Not only is there a no one on one contact rule, we also operate under the guideline that if you are someone that works with children in the chirch and you send out text updates that you must tag at least one other adult in the group message as well.

can someone explain to me why there is a camera in the bathroom?

also, what in the actual F. would posses someone to give a 6 year old a blumpkin.

Hopefully this guy gets life with the general population.

Description made it sound like the bathrooms were in the classroom, and they were half-height doors, so the cameras from the classroom could see over the doors. I also think that's a little odd - but thankfully in this scenario it stopped a predator.

can someone explain to me why there is a camera in the bathroom?

also, what in the actual F. would posses someone to give a 6 year old a blumpkin.

Hopefully this guy gets life with the general population.
Now that you say it, how was there a camera that could see in the stall?

Yeap. We do a safe sanctuary update every year. Members are ran through background checks and we have a seminar on keeping our sanctuary safe. Not only is there a no one on one contact rule, we also operate under the guideline that if you are someone that works with children in the chirch and you send out text updates that you must tag at least one other adult in the group message as well.

Totally agree.

Background checks are great, particularly bc they are industry standard, but they don’t actively prevent the bad guy from harming children...a lot of predators have never been caught.

The absolute most practical way to prevent it, actively, is doing all you can to eliminate any one to one contact. Period.

If you study some of the people who’ve been convicted of sexually molesting children, or just crimes against children in general, you’d be shocked...Presidents, CEO’s, Doctors, Lawyers, Professors, Coaches etc etc. it’s absolutely apauling.

Description made it sound like the bathrooms were in the classroom, and they were half-height doors, so the cameras from the classroom could see over the doors. I also think that's a little odd - but thankfully in this scenario it stopped a predator.

Definitely odd. I'm no lawyer but wonder how thisth legal. It did good in this scenario but I gotta believe that Newspring will have to answer to that as well.

Reactions: srgaylo
This is just disgusting, I know NewSpring is a polarizing topic and I hope this isn't a common theme. A church is a place where people go to find peace, not have this stuff happen.

https://www.wspa.com/news/sc-man-pe...-year-old-boy-at-church-police-say/1626698149
That's horrible.

NewSpring goes to great lengths before they allow anyone to work with children. My wife works in KidSpring and she's a career teacher and had to have a background check.

This is just another deviant that slipped through the cracks.

Totally agree.

Background checks are great, particularly bc they are industry standard, but they don’t actively prevent the bad guy from harming children...a lot of predators have never been caught.

The absolute most practical way to prevent it, actively, is doing all you can to eliminate any one to one contact. Period.

If you study some of the people who’ve been convicted of sexually molesting children, or just crimes against children in general, you’d be shocked...Presidents, CEO’s, Doctors, Lawyers, Professors, Coaches etc etc. it’s absolutely apauling.
I agree 100%

Reactions: clemsonu0219
Very sad. Unfortunately, there's nowhere you can go where you're entirely safe from things like this. Also very unfortunately, pedophiles are going to be attracted to things like volunteering to watch kids, and apparently will even sometimes pass background checks. Glad to see they reported this properly instead of trying to protect themselves.

I would not be a member of a church that allowed men to change diapers/take kids to the bathroom. My gosh, it is common sense.

Disgusting. Kill the man

From what I was told the male volunteers take the boys to the bathroom (supposed to have two male volunteers do this) and female volunteers take the girls to the bathroom (also with two volunteers). Maybe someone who goes there can corroborate that but if true....who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

Childcare should be run by women (don't care if sexist). I don't mind if the husband is in the room helping as long as his wife is also present but even in that case the woman should be helping the kids use the bathroom and change diapers. Anywhere I've ever been to church the women work in childcare and the men do things in the parking lot or move chairs or help people find seats, etc...

This is disgusting. This man should be sexually assaulted and murdered in a public forum.

FIFY. Organized religion is a cancer. God is great, individual belief and worship is great. Organized religion isn't.

Yep. Have felt this way for a long time. Wildly unpopular opinion, especially when I go back to Anderson to see family. Sorry, not sorry. Organized religion may have a place, just not in my life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT