ADVERTISEMENT

Due to today's society not wanting to work

The middle upper & upper class boomer generation is the most entitled, spoiled generation to ever walk the face of the earth. Their parents suffered the great depression and fought WW2 so that they could have everything, then got most of them deferred from Vietnam so that they could have even more, and now they want to keep it all for themselves. Minimum wage hasn't gone up since 2009, but everything costs 3x today what it cost then.

There's a bigger wealth gap now than there's been in this country since labor laws were introduced, and it's leading to bad, bad places. Share the wealth a little more and everyone can be happy. Try and take it to the grave with you and see what happens.

The Esso Club will be closed on Monday's going forward.

iEtWeHP.png

If I was a college kid this would ABSOLUTELY make me want to come in and apply!
That post was as good of an idea as FSU's BOT having a live cast bitch session to threaten to leave the ACC. Both examples make them look clueless, unprofessional, desperate and incapable of handling their business. In both cases it will hurt their cause more than help it.

And "where are we" exactly re: labor market?

Labor force participation rate below prepandemic levels, unemployment ridiculously low - almost like this "no one wants to work" stuff is total nonsense!

People just spout off based on "vibes". You can look this stuff up!
wutt? You totally missed my point.

Nothing like the sweet sweet blabbering of out of touch boomers to really get the afternoon going. God I hope social security actually runs out on you losers; but the can will probably get kicked down a generation and they will have to deal with it, like everything else.
Amen 🙏🏿

Right now the market is determining wages. That is exactly why the Esso club is taking Mondays off. The number of customers on Mondays may not generate enough tips to make it worth while for the workers. Restaurants have always been the starting point for teenagers to get their first job (it was for me). Look at unemployment for teens in the People's Republic of California. They can't get that first job because businesses need people that will work at the level of a $20 per hour plus benefits. Now everything costs more because of the high minimum wage and it is no longer enough to get by (even with food assistance and federal tax credits).
LoL this guy is actually blaming high minimum wage 🤣🤣🤣 winner for most out of touch by a country mile

I disagree. I’ve spent the last 6 months trying to get an electrician to replace my freight dock lights with LEDs. It’s very hard to find skilled labor. It is very easy to find a useless college grad to work in a cubicle that contributes nothing to a company.

When my wife bartended at TTTs in college she was making well over 1k a week. She was making over 60k part time bartending for Rick Erwin’s. Serving and bartending pay more than most entry level college grad jobs. Also why my wife left her entry level college grad position to go back Into bartending.

The issue is we have incentivized people to not work. Democrat Donald Trump being the most to blame for his liberal helicopter money policies. Weirdly enough liberal voted him out for the racist neocon Biden.
My son's best friend's mom makes $80,000 bartending per year part time.

Reactions: Casa_del_Tigre
The job market is a free market. Better pay, more and better employees.

The minimum wage is not and was never intended to be a living wage. It is an entry level job for teenagers or anyone without a notable skill or advanced education and mostly aimed at part time workers.

If some one want a "living wage", this means getting an education or acquiring skills or work experience to make themselves valuable and therefore higher pay.

Imposing a high minimun wage will blast all kinds of businesses and have a substantial inflationary effect. Fast food becomes unaffordable, etc. Many small businesses close.
A person only deserves a living wage if they create enough value as determined by the people with all the money in the first place.

Boy, y'all are not ready for the coming world.

Still trying to figure out why someone working part time for a little extra cash in a job that requires near zero skill needs a "living wage."
While I agree with you, they don’t need a wage they can live on, they DO need a wage that makes it worth it. Groceries, beer, fast food, gas has all gone up. $10/hr is like paying $6/hr 10 years ago.

The minimum wage is not and was never intended to be a living wage. It is an entry level job for teenagers or anyone without a notable skill or advanced education and mostly aimed at part time workers.

If some one want a "living wage", this means getting an education or acquiring skills or work experience to make themselves valuable and therefore higher pay.

Imposing a high minimun wage will blast all kinds of businesses and have a substantial inflationary effect. Fast food becomes unaffordable, etc. Many small businesses close.

Agree.

What makes me laugh are the folks that rail against corporate America, yet don’t get that raising, doubling in some cases, the min wage plays right in to the hands of those corporations. Can you spell AOC??

Walmart, Starbucks, McDonalds etc have pockets so deep they’re practically bottomless. They can afford to pay a $15-$20 wage. The Mom and Pop stores can’t. There are countless small towns across the country where this is evident. My hometown is one.

Keep pushing for a $15 min wage but then don’t be mad when a Chipotle replaces smoking pig, or an Olive Garden replaces the Esso Club.

While I agree with you, they don’t need a wage they can live on, they DO need a wage that makes it worth it. Groceries, beer, fast food, gas has all gone up. $10/hr is like paying $6/hr 10 years ago.
And it isn't just college kids working fast food restaurant jobs. For some people it's the best work they can find and they do it to support families.

I disagree. I’ve spent the last 6 months trying to get an electrician to replace my freight dock lights with LEDs. It’s very hard to find skilled labor. It is very easy to find a useless college grad to work in a cubicle that contributes nothing to a company.

When my wife bartended at TTTs in college she was making well over 1k a week. She was making over 60k part time bartending for Rick Erwin’s. Serving and bartending pay more than most entry level college grad jobs. Also why my wife left her entry level college grad position to go back Into bartending.

The issue is we have incentivized people to not work. Democrat Donald Trump being the most to blame for his liberal helicopter money policies. Weirdly enough liberal voted him out for the racist neocon Biden.
My wife went back to bartending. She graduated with a microbiology degree. She made more bartending than working in a lab.

Now the hours suck and you have to deal with the shitty public, but it's good money. She's making almost as much as I do as a licensed engineer.

The Esso Club will be closed on Monday's going forward.

iEtWeHP.png

If I was a college kid this would ABSOLUTELY make me want to come in and apply!
My daughter has been a server at Walk On's since they opened. The comp situations are really pathetic. If she works 10 shifts, 2 might be worthwhile. I don't care if it's a college kid or adult, the culture and clientele in college towns is not conducive to making a decent wage in F&B.

College kids camping out for 4 hours watching sports, drinking draft and then tipping 10-15% is common. Groups of 8-10 running up a bill and leaving $2 isn't rare. Adults leaving cards advising that the tip is going to Jesus isn't really appreciated. But management at these establishments simply don't protect their staff when they easily could implement measures to do so.

The large groups not leaving gratuity is just ridiculous as it should be covered by a minimum gratuity charge, but management says there's a law against that in Clemson that will not allow. Anyone heard of this in Clemson?

Agree.

What makes me laugh are the folks that rail against corporate America, yet don’t get that raising, doubling in some cases, the min wage plays right in to the hands of those corporations. Can you spell AOC??

Walmart, Starbucks, McDonalds etc have pockets so deep they’re practically bottomless. They can afford to pay a $15-$20 wage. The Mom and Pop stores can’t. There are countless small towns across the country where this is evident. My hometown is one.

Keep pushing for a $15 min wage but then don’t be mad when a Chipotle replaces smoking pig, or an Olive Garden replaces the Esso Club.
This is all a steaming load of horse shit. It all comes down to a small percentage of obscenely greedy people not wanting to give up any more than they're legally bound to do, and they only give up that because they're legally bound to do it.

Half of you people would maintain slave labor if you could get away with it.

And it isn't just college kids working fast food restaurant jobs. For some people it's the best work they can find and they do it to support families.

I gave up on actually arguing with boomers about this topic because it does not matter what stat, metric, or physical measurable quantity You can show them to prove that the workforce in society are worse in every category. It always goes back to the cheap and easy statement that this generation is lazy and entitled. The best part is that the irony is completely lost on them, that they were blessed to come up and work and a time of plenty, and now they feel they are entitled to the spoils of their generation and our generation. It’s just not a productive conversation unfortunately.

That's arguably what's happened. It's $10 to go to McD's or Wendy's. It was under $5 when I was a teenager and I'm in my mid 30's.

This is all a steaming load of horse shit. It all comes down to a small percentage of obscenely greedy people not wanting to give up any more than they're legally bound to do, and they only give up that because they're legally bound to do it.

Karl Marx is that you?

I’m a “responsible” capitalist if that makes sense. People should be able to make money when they earn it.

There are some insane disparities out there which are debatable, fine.

(My brother worked as a clerk on the floor of the NYSE for 10 years. I asked him, “why is there that mentality of the outright greed by the entire stock market ecosystem”?

He gave the best and not so surprising answer:

”Because they believe it’s theirs to take just being there.” (And that my friends is why we have the problems we do in this country.)

it's very true. Younger folks don't want to work anymore. My wife, who is a nurse, held an interview with a recent high school grad for an open receptionist position. The young lady was offered $15 an hour to answer the phones. She declined the job offer because she "needed" to make $21/hour. TO ANSWER PHONE CALLS.
Good for that young lady. She's determining her value for herself, and not letting some greedy pig determine it for her.

It's a free market economy. If you want to attract workers then you'll need to pay more. Students that need money have more options to earn money today. They may find that they can make more money in less time by being an Uber driver or delivering food via Door Dash. The Esso Club can also make a business decision to close on Mondays because they won't make enough money if they have to pay increased wage to attract employees on that night and increasing menu prices would drive down business.

If it hasn't been pointed out already, Monday's (followed Tuesday's) are traditionally the slowest nights for bars and restaurants. It's not unusual for mom and pops to be closed on those days for labor savings.

Signed,
A guy who waited tables and bartended in college.

I’m a “responsible” capitalist if that makes sense. People should be able to make money when they earn it.

There are some insane disparities out there which are debatable, fine.

(My brother worked as a clerk on the floor of the NYSE for 10 years. I asked him, “why is there that mentality of the outright greed by the entire stock market ecosystem”?

He gave the best and not so surprising answer:

”Because they believe it’s theirs to take just being there.” (And that my friends is why we have the problems we do in this country.)
I am right there with you. I am by no means a communist, just someone who realizes capitalism 21st century American style is unsustainable if future generations are to have any chance. It needs to be regulated in much more responsible ways.

And I agree with your brother 100%. They think it's all theirs and the rules are only for the little people.

it's very true. Younger folks don't want to work anymore. My wife, who is a nurse, held an interview with a recent high school grad for an open receptionist position. The young lady was offered $15 an hour to answer the phones. She declined the job offer because she "needed" to make $21/hour. TO ANSWER PHONE CALLS.
Both the business and the potential employee can make their own economic decisions. You may think it's not worth more than 15/hr but she does. Supply and demand. If it's worth $15 eventually you'll find an employee if the market says it's not you will need to increase your offer.

It's a free market economy. If you want to attract workers then you'll need to pay more. Students that need money have more options to earn money today. They may find that they can make more money in less time by being an Uber driver or delivering food via Door Dash. The Esso Club can also make a business decision to close on Mondays because they won't make enough money if they have to pay increased wage to attract employees on that night and increasing menu prices would drive down business.
Or, they could raise wages, not raise menu prices, and just live with a little less money, for the betterment of everyone.

Love the Esso Club, but I bet that they pay minimum wage...

And unfortunately, that's not a living wage. So while it's good walking around money for college students, it's not a great position to try and make a living from. I remember back a few years ago where Republicans were fighting the minimum wage hikes, some congressmen tried to survive on that amount while in Washington. Even with a free office to sleep in and free food, they couldn't make it.
Minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage. What's unfortunate is the fact that there are grown up boys and girls who are so stupid, they couldn't or wouldn't do the absolute bare minimum and graduate high school.

A high school diploma is more than enough education to get a job that pays higher than minimum wage.

Reactions: midnightmzll
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT