ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chick in Anderson on meth

Based on some of the responses ITT, it seems some people don't understand how addiction works. It's definitely not as simple as some of you are making it out to be. Addiction, by definition, is a type of disease, and therefore, should be treated as such.

Really awful what this girl has done, and she now has to live with the consequences of her actions for the rest of her life, however long that may be. She very well could have removed her eyes while under the influence, or she could have done so in a move of desperation (in a biblical sense, plucking out your eyes if they cause you to sin). Whatever her reasons and her circumstances, my heart goes out to her and her family.

Really hope some of you can see past the lie that addiction is a simple evil in this world. It is a very complex and terrible organism, and I don't wish it upon anyone.

I would never ridicule a patient. But I’ve had plenty of patients joke about themselves, and I’ll certainly laugh along. Notice how I did not make fun of someone in the hospital ITT, but rather someone just out in public who happened to be high on meth.

This board is so sensitive. Lighten up some
Which hospital do you work for? I want to contact them and show them your thoughts of people with physical/mental health issues.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Lil John Hugh lives in his parents basement still.

Reactions: johnhugh
Yes we do.

And I have a lot of respect for people that put in the effort and successfully beat alcoholism, smoking, drugs, etc. Same goes for people who are obese who struggle and get to a normal weight.

I just don't have any respect or tolerance for the ones that don't care

So you basically condemn addicted people until they successfully conquer their issues and then they go from trash to OK in your mind. If your kid got addicted would you treat them like trash or help them

How do you know this young lady did not care and was not trying to get off the Meth.....Addiction is just that and is not easy to beat.....

If you had ever had a loved one struggle with addiction you wouldn't make such an insensitive bullshit comment. You need to freaking mature a little. Hope you never have to see someone you love battle drugs.

The problem with you lecturing him on empathy and maturity is that you have shown very little empathy for others in the past. I remember you being very strongly against the black students demonstrating to have Tillman Hall renamed. But maybe if you ever had a loved one who was black and did not appreciate attending school in a building named after a very public racist, you wouldn't make such insensitive comments. It goes both ways.

Which hospital do you work for? I want to contact them and show them your thoughts of people with physical/mental health issues.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Lil John Hugh lives in his parents basement still.
You’re right. I’m still picking up shifts at chick fil a and playing Xbox with Vaseline

Easy way to beat addiction: don't start. Don't feel bad for druggies
so says the guy that looks like he's smoked a few and is obese as fvck. How many cakes, pies, ribs, steaks, and pork products did you inhale to be so holier than thou?

Each of you making jokes is blind to the fact that this could happen to your family. You need to take a long look in the mirror and think before you post such tasteless BS. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 - but it's obvious this girl made a couple of bad decisions that any of you could have made. I can tell you this - seeing is believing - and I've seen firsthand what these drugs can do to people and their families. Most of you would cry your eyes out if you ever had to experience it.

Strong.

The problem with you lecturing him on empathy and maturity is that you have shown very little empathy for others in the past. I remember you being very strongly against the black students demonstrating to have Tillman Hall renamed. But maybe if you ever had a loved one who was black and did not appreciate attending school in a building named after a very public racist, you wouldn't make such insensitive comments. It goes both ways.

Interesting comparison ... not to sound to "The Matrix-y" here but I think the difference would be the power of "choice". I dont know anyone nor have read about a single person who woke up one morning and said to themselves "you know what. I think Im going to try meth". The overwhelming majority of these addictions start innocently enough with prescription drugs and then persist into a downward spiral.

I have much more empathy for someone who let a prescription drugs problem get out of hand at the encouragement of whore doctors all in a attempt to line the pockets of corporate pharmaceutical executive pockets while lobbyists pay off our politicians to keep much safer and just as effective pain relievers illegal THAN I DO a group of students who were admitted to a institution who knew full well that the institution had some skeletons in its closet then demanded it changed the names of some of the buildings.

For the record, I think Tillman Hall should be renamed ......

I think your point is interesting though ...

Yes we do.

And I have a lot of respect for people that put in the effort and successfully beat alcoholism, smoking, drugs, etc. Same goes for people who are obese who struggle and get to a normal weight.

I just don't have any respect or tolerance for the ones that don't care

I can't believe that this thread has me agreeing with farking Ron Munson. But, I agree. I have been studying up on this stuff since my friend's wife became an addict. Prolonged drug use can change your brain to the point of making it impossible to stop. That sucks. But those people made a shit ton of bad decisions to get to that point.

I do feel bad for the people that get strung out on meds that they were prescribed, but even they have multiple milestones that could be used to stop (e.g. the first time they go outside of a doctor for those meds).

A HUGE metropolitan city and a walked aimlessly for HOURS and never felt unsafe even once.
Which cities in the US do you feel unsafe in? I’ve walked through New York, Philly, Atlanta, DC, Cleveland, Dallas, Charlotte, Orlando and never felt unsafe.

I do feel bad for the people that get strung out on meds that they were prescribed, but even they have multiple milestones that could be used to stop (e.g. the first time they go outside of a doctor for those meds).

this is a major problem, and it amazes me it really hasn't gotten any major attention until recently. The opiod problem in the county is getting bad. 40,000 people die from overdoses every year, that is more than gun deaths....but doctors keep handing them out.

Politicians want to demonize marijuana, but no problem with people popping opiods like skittles.

this is a major problem, and it amazes me it really hasn't gotten any major attention until recently. The opiod problem in the county is getting bad. 40,000 people die from overdoses every year, that is more than gun deaths....but doctors keep handing them out.

Politicians want to demonize marijuana, but no problem with people popping opiods like skittles.
So you're fully aware of this epidemic but you don't have any sympathy for junkies? Interesting.

Reactions: amynhop
If you had ever had a loved one struggle with addiction you wouldn't make such an insensitive bullshit comment. You need to freaking mature a little. Hope you never have to see someone you love battle drugs.

Oh come on Amy. No one, not even the immature poster in question thinks this is funny. It’s beyond sad. But sometimes we have to laugh at this cruel world to keep from crying.

Which cities in the US do you feel unsafe in? I’ve walked through New York, Philly, Atlanta, DC, Cleveland, Dallas, Charlotte, Orlando and never felt unsafe.
everyone of those cities ...everyone .... if you walked as far as I did while in Singapore you wouldve end up in some shady areas.

If you ever get the opportunity to go, jump at it

Has the mother (or any of you, for that matter) even ****ing considered that the girl might have just been hungry? Everybody wants to jump to conclusions and people always assume drugs are involved. Every single time. Guy shows up late to work? Oh, he must be doing drugs. Dude quits his job for a while to "find himself?" Yup, he's on drugs. Girl pulls her own eyeballs out and eats them in one sitting? You guessed it - DRUGS.

It's laughable.

because those F'ers in Washington or those F'ers in various state capitals cant line their pockets with cash through medications folks can grow in their backyard.

Scare enough people and keep the masses misinformed and its amazing how much money you can make.

Reactions: Ron Munson
So you're fully aware of this epidemic but you don't have any sympathy for junkies? Interesting.

right. I have no sympathy at all for them. I've know a lot of junkies in my time, and they all made the choice at some point. Most are worthless even if they weren't addicts.

I have an uncle who is probably worth $5M if not way more. He and my cousin (21) have both gotten hooked on heroin. Uncle is clean and cousin is in rehab.

Some ignorant, naive people as to the daily battles of addiction in this thread. When I know zero about a particular subject....I keep my mouth shut. Would behoove some of you to do the same.

Reactions: Tigerden
Sorry, I am not going to feel sorry for some junkie. I only feel sorry for the tax payers, police, citizens, etc that have to deal with the consequences.

Call me cold hearted or whatever, I really don't care, my patience with junkies ran out a long time ago.

Cold hearted.

Reactions: Ron Munson
Addicts are largely pathetic (not in the sense of you suck but literally it must be awful to live like they do) and incur a lot of problems on themselves. Where the problem lies is in how they got there.

To me it is a mixture of several things. Often times parents neglect their kids- both in wealthy neighborhoods and in the poorest. Kids without direction simply make the wrong choices. We are not inherently created to make the right decisions.

Some of us do regardless of our upbringing but more times than not we become at least a semi-product of our circumstances. Improvements start in the home first and secondly in schools (where kids spend the majority of their time). Rather than hey don't do drugs programs schools need to push alternative extra curricular activities such as sports and clubs.

Further reimbursing teachers to lead these things becasue often times they do it for free or pennies on the dollar would fuel further help in the matter. I know nobody wants to hear about government spending more money but I think we can all agree our schools are underfunded. You do the best you can to help/save addicts on the back end but as with any criminal it is better to prevent in the first place.

Lastly all of this is a bandaid on a bullet wound without Jesus. Flame or praise away but I think it to be odd that some of the worse problems our society faces are with people under the age of 30 which are an ever-increasingly unreached group. Churches have let people down plenty before but there are some absolutely terrific ones out there that need support in trying to help people both before and after their issues arise.

Finally I believe that yes addicts are a drag on society but we can either scoff at them or fix it. And when they are children (this case isn't but early adulthood) we ARE responsible. Thanks for all those who didn't TL;DR.

Easy way to beat addiction: don't start. Don't feel bad for druggies
A lot easier said than done, Sparky. My mother had knee replacement in her 70's. She ended up having serious problems with oxycontin, which was prescribed for her. Things got pretty bad for a while but she was able to beat her problem. It wasn't as though she went out looking to get high.

I told my wife to go ahead and call a lawyer if my kid ever gets to using drugs. I won't harm my kid, but the person who sold them to him:

tumblr_lznw3rPRyX1rohqiho1_500.gif
So you condone homicide but castigate drug use? Sounds rational.

Don’t know one thing about meth but I’m very familiar with opioid addiction. Hell on earth for all involved. Some of you are just missing a freaking sensitivity chip.
Mrs N. Hop,
As Managing Director of the Most Sensitive Fanbase in America, I am excited to see your concern regarding our sensitivity. I'd like to assure you that our sensitivity is unwavering.

Best Regards,

Till Man

Not sure if the story is true but I have witness a few people throw everything away (nice home,marriage,children ,great job ,new car,) over this shit. This stuff is the worst drug I have witness in my 60 years living and I was no saint growing up. The government has got to do something to stop the manufacturing of it...
The damned Government is involved. Multiple levels of Government are involved. And like most things the Government touches, it doesn't work, costs go up with corruption, moronic, greedy and criminal Politicians get involved making matters worse.

If states got smart, they'd have police deputizing citizens on the low low(undercover) who had a real interest in taking their community (s) back. This was what used to happen to an extent....even when you were young...and I. JMO.

Some ignorant, naive people as to the daily battles of addiction in this thread. When I know zero about a particular subject....I keep my mouth shut. Would behoove some of you to do the same.
Lol you keep your mouth shut when you know zero about a subject.

giphy.gif

right. I have no sympathy at all for them. I've know a lot of junkies in my time, and they all made the choice at some point. Most are worthless even if they weren't addicts.
Dad, you’ve done more meth than every poster on this board combined. You once told me that you were on meth when i was conceived. Get outta here with your “better than thee” BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT